Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

On that note is it reasonable to start learning a language like python solely via iPad Pro? I know the answer is “just learn one” but are their other languages or apps that work well on this format? I’ve been “starting” to learn a language for like 10 years lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

On that note is it reasonable to start learning a language like python solely via iPad Pro? I know the answer is “just learn one” but are their other languages or apps that work well on this format? I’ve been “starting” to learn a language for like 10 years lol

I’ve heard good things about Apple’s Playground app for beginner level Swift programming.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Proteus Jones posted:

I’ve heard good things about Apple’s Playground app for beginner level Swift programming.

Oh yeah I completely forgot about that. Thanks! Swift would be best bet if my primacy focus would be iOS apps first and macOS second, yeah?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

In my case this is a beginner class that’s being taken mainly for PDU’s to maintain another certification. But everyone is gaga for Python these days and it’ll allow me to put at least passing knowledge on my resume. I’m not sure I’d rely on an iPad app for anything past this level, although the Pythonista app seems pretty full featured.

This plus an Udemy course might work well. The Pythonista app even lets you multitask, so I guess you could run both at the same time, but dang that’d be a cramped screen.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The 2018 regular iPad 32G is $249 at Target - grabbed one since I’m not sure I’m ready to step up to paying Pro prices.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

shortspecialbus posted:

I got this one today: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4L893T

I am super happy with it so far. That color appears to be out of stock but they make other ones. I don't have an apple pencil yet to test with, but all accounts say it's compatible. I was a bit worried about the magnets holding it onto the ipad properly, but it seems to do a great job so far and I had to give it a pretty good shake while holding it upside down to get it to come off accidentally. It was easy enough to separate intentionally, though. It feels very good, fits very well, and I have zero issues with smart lock. It's not the cheapest case out there but so far it is excellent!

Figured I'd give an update on this - I'm still absolutely thrilled with the zotop case. It feels and works great and it doesn't have any issues with the pencil charging when I need to. I still really like the color too, although it still looks to be unavailable. Other colors seem to be available though and the price seems to have gone down a bit. Still definitely recommend this case for the newer iPad Pros.

Krispy Wafer posted:

In my case this is a beginner class that’s being taken mainly for PDU’s to maintain another certification. But everyone is gaga for Python these days and it’ll allow me to put at least passing knowledge on my resume. I’m not sure I’d rely on an iPad app for anything past this level, although the Pythonista app seems pretty full featured.

This plus an Udemy course might work well. The Pythonista app even lets you multitask, so I guess you could run both at the same time, but dang that’d be a cramped screen.

For me, I do all my coding on an ssh session to a linux server somewhere (or my work desktop) and use vim with various plugins. I personally consider that the best environment, and the ipad works fine for that so long as you have a keyboard and find an ssh client you like. The huge downside is if it's your only device, it's frustrating to have to switch back and forth between your reference material in the web browser or whatever and your code. Using tmux helps a lot with having your code up while testing your program, but there's no real good way to see both your code, prompt, and a web browser that I've found.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

arbybaconator posted:

Honestly, your best bet is to sell it for parts and buy another one, new or used.

Yeah, I just sold my mother-in-law's ipad 5th gen with a busted screen on eBay for $170 and she upgraded to the 6th gen she grabbed on sale for $250.

Once you factor in the price of a new screen and the fact that the repair is a multi-hour, glue softening ordeal it just didn't make sense to repair it myself.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

are there any good cases for the ipad pro 11 which are basically just like oversized iphone cases? every case ive seen are folio types with the flappy screen bit

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for the programming comments :)

Smiles posted:

are there any good cases for the ipad pro 11 which are basically just like oversized iphone cases? every case ive seen are folio types with the flappy screen bit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0167G90D8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QXoeCbFNWRG5E

Different iPad but I use this and pretty much the same thing on my iPhone but made by Spigen. They’re sleek and plain but can be decorated if you want to and the screen lip + padded corners are life savers. I’ve dropped my devices way too many times, even on tile, and don’t have any dings or scratches. They’re super protective.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Smiles posted:

There don't seem to be too many. Searching Amazon for the words "back cover" (along with like 2018 ipad pro 11) seemed to come up with a couple results similar to what the poster above me said, but I can't comment on if any are good. I prop mine up too much to not use the flappy folio cover.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone recommend a soundboard app for podcasting and streaming?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Bit of a weird one, but one of my apps (Documents by Readdle) is taking far more space in its iCloud app data backup than the app itself.

I literally only have a single mp3 in there right now and under iPad Storage in Settings > General the app (including data) is only taking 120MB (115 for the app, 5 for the file). However under my iCloud backups, if I go to Backups > iPad then the app is showing to be using 8.27GB. This is separate from the iCloud file storage for the app which has a few PDFs in there (287Mb worth).

I don't want to have to uncheck that app from all backups if I have to, but I have no idea how an extra bunch of gigs is suddenly appearing there.

Any ideas?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I would suggest e-mailing the developer on that one. It might be undesired behavior that would be good to report to them, or maybe they'll have an answer for you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

Bit of a weird one, but one of my apps (Documents by Readdle) is taking far more space in its iCloud app data backup than the app itself.

I literally only have a single mp3 in there right now and under iPad Storage in Settings > General the app (including data) is only taking 120MB (115 for the app, 5 for the file). However under my iCloud backups, if I go to Backups > iPad then the app is showing to be using 8.27GB. This is separate from the iCloud file storage for the app which has a few PDFs in there (287Mb worth).

I don't want to have to uncheck that app from all backups if I have to, but I have no idea how an extra bunch of gigs is suddenly appearing there.

Any ideas?

Back up the files just in case then delete and reinstall the app?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Proteus Jones posted:

Back up the files just in case then delete and reinstall the app?
Tried this alongside deleting the backup altogether and rebacking up from scratch and that seems to have fixed it. Cheers!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Tried this alongside deleting the backup altogether and rebacking up from scratch and that seems to have fixed it. Cheers!

You still may want to e-mail the dev. It sounds kind of like a bug they may want to be aware of, although it could be entirely on Apple's side for all I know.

Glad it's fixed, though!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Troubleshooting my mom's older ipad: on facebook comments when you press the spacebar two spaces get inserted, I'm not sure if there is some kind of setting that is doing this or not, googling just brings up stuff about double tapping space for a period.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Troubleshooting my mom's older ipad: on facebook comments when you press the spacebar two spaces get inserted, I'm not sure if there is some kind of setting that is doing this or not, googling just brings up stuff about double tapping space for a period.

Try checking the key repeat setting in General > Accessibility > Keyboard in settings. The two settings should be 0.10 sec (key repeat interval) and .40 seconds (delay until repeat) by default .

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Try checking the key repeat setting in General > Accessibility > Keyboard in settings. The two settings should be 0.10 sec (key repeat interval) and .40 seconds (delay until repeat) by default .

Didn't seem to work, those setting seem to be for a bluetooth keyboard anyhow.

(I guess maybe I wasn't clear that it's the on-screen keyboard.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Is it possible that there's a text expansion/substitution for space -> spacespace?
Sounds like a prank...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Evil prank because there should only be one space after a period :argh:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There's also a big crack running down the screen so I'll probably just buy her a new one.

Haven't had anything like this happen on my own iPad except when my cat walked on the screen and did something to the volume once.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Walmart has the current iPads starting at $229, cheaper than their Black Friday pricing

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-Latest-Model-32GB-Wi-Fi-Space-Gray/876555631

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It seems to be a facebook exclusive problem, but according to google's useless search results facebook has no built in autocorrect or spelling suggestion?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

It seems to be a facebook exclusive problem, but according to google's useless search results facebook has no built in autocorrect or spelling suggestion?
I've seen weird instances where spellcheck seems to be disabled or something on different text fields in apps or on web pages. Might be switched on accident in some places?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

japtor posted:

I've seen weird instances where spellcheck seems to be disabled or something on different text fields in apps or on web pages. Might be switched on accident in some places?

Can you have different spellcheck settings for different places somehow?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I think I know the answer to this; my wife's old iPad 3 (retina) has started rebooting randomly, occasionally showing half a screen or having just a bright white line across the top (portrait mode), then rebooting. I flattened it, and it seemed to work for a bit after that, but is back to rebooting. This seems like a dying hardware problem - and really nothing can be done to fix it? Or am I missing something.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Can you have different spellcheck settings for different places somehow?
Not that I know of on iOS. I meant the app or websites can probably define something like spellcheck=off for different text fields where it makes sense. But I feel like I’ve seen it not working randomly too so could just be a buggy thing here and there.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

When are the Logitech iPad Pro cases coming out? I need to slap something on this before I break it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Seems like the typing issues don't come up on the mobile version of Facebook so maybe there's just some incompatability with the desktop (or legacy mobile?) version.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

porktree posted:

I think I know the answer to this; my wife's old iPad 3 (retina) has started rebooting randomly, occasionally showing half a screen or having just a bright white line across the top (portrait mode), then rebooting. I flattened it, and it seemed to work for a bit after that, but is back to rebooting. This seems like a dying hardware problem - and really nothing can be done to fix it? Or am I missing something.

Yeah, that’s an old, no longer supported iPad from what I know, so likely it is time for a new iPad. Personally, get a 2018 9.7” before Christmas, there are some really good sales currently.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

porktree posted:

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, that’s an old, no longer supported iPad from what I know, so likely it is time for a new iPad. Personally, get a 2018 9.7” before Christmas, there are some really good sales currently.

Agreed on replace it even if it can be repaired. iPad 3 is probably the worst iPad they made. It was woefully underpowered and would choke on having more than like 2 tabs open, and a lot of web pages would just bring the thing to a crawl. Unfortunately it was the first iPad I had so I thought they were all like that until I got a different one a while back.

Your wife will be very happy if you get her a new one - there are indeed a lot of sales going on right now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The 32GB 2018 model is $230 buyable online right now. Personally I think 32 isn’t enough but ymmv.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I got impatient and picked up the Smart Keyboard for the 12.9” iPad Pro. Typing on it right now, I really like the way it feels, although my wrists miss having a place to rest on. Still not sure whether I want to end up with a separate keyboard or one built into the case long term, so we’ll see how the next few weeks go.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

arbybaconator posted:

Honestly, your best bet is to sell it for parts and buy another one, new or used.

Ixian posted:

There have been recent sales where you could get a new 6th gen (32gb) for that price. I imagine you could find a used 5th gen for less than it would cost even 3rd parties to fix it, when the hassle is factored in.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I just sold my mother-in-law's ipad 5th gen with a busted screen on eBay for $170 and she upgraded to the 6th gen she grabbed on sale for $250.

Once you factor in the price of a new screen and the fact that the repair is a multi-hour, glue softening ordeal it just didn't make sense to repair it myself.

FCKGW posted:

Walmart has the current iPads starting at $229, cheaper than their Black Friday pricing

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-Latest-Model-32GB-Wi-Fi-Space-Gray/876555631

Thanks for the suggestions all. I've been busy and haven't caught up with the thread. I missed the $230 sale by a day (I looked at it last night but didn't decide on this approach until today) but picked one up for $250 plus 5% redcard at Target. Will list the old one on eBay later.

This is perfect because one of my kids is an aspiring artist at 7 (see discussion a few pages back about WACOM's and iPads) and getting him the pencil will be fantastic. So he's getting the new one and the one who broke the other is getting his 2017 iPad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Has anyone bought the 11” iPad Pro and exchanged it for the 12.9” or vice versa? What are your thoughts on the size and your use case? If I’m not mistaken it looks like the 11” should be roughly the same size as a regular iPad just with less bezels/more screen?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I used the 12.9 for 3 days then swapped to the 11. I don’t draw much, just making notes and marking up PDFs, as well as the usual iPad stuff. The 12.9 was juuuuuust heavy enough to put me off. I’m extremely happy with the 11.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Boris Galerkin posted:

Has anyone bought the 11” iPad Pro and exchanged it for the 12.9” or vice versa? What are your thoughts on the size and your use case? If I’m not mistaken it looks like the 11” should be roughly the same size as a regular iPad just with less bezels/more screen?

I was originally eyeing the 11” but the dealbreaker for me was that you can’t run two iPad apps in full mode side by side on the 11” - it uses the condensed versions of the apps. I figured if I’m paying for a Pro, I want that full functionality. I primarily use the 12.9” in landscape and have gotten used to the size rather quickly (the smaller bezels helped with this). I still think it’s impressively giant when holding in in portrait, but when using the Apple Pencil in portrait that feeling goes away - I’m just holding a 8.5” x 11” paper at that point.

I use my iPad in hand in both orientations and attached to an old school Bluetooth Apple Keyboard (without the number pad) on a table in landscape - it’s great. I love the drat thing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I am a 12.9 lifer. It’s the perfect size for me and everything else feels too tiny to be a “real” computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Same. 12.9 first generation here and while it is heavy, the answer is to simply get stronger so it doesn’t matter.