Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

He really should've just paid for the loving Hart engine or the Alfas. I doubt it would've been that much more factoring in sponsors actually wanting to be on the car.

Also their renaissance was basically their front wing design in the 90s and that lasted all of six races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The 018 was also a good car but I think it benefitted from 1989’s bizzare circumstances.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

OK, new topic... how long does everyone think it will take for daddy Stroll to tire of supporting a mediocre F1 team with worse drivers? I give it a year, or two at most before it becomes too hard to justify owning a team to keep Lance employed as a driver and he hard brexits.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CratSock posted:

OK, new topic... how long does everyone think it will take for daddy Stroll to tire of supporting a mediocre F1 team with worse drivers? I give it a year, or two at most before it becomes too hard to justify owning a team to keep Lance employed as a driver and he hard brexits.

I'd imagine he'll ditch the team once Vettel retires and are Lance takes his seat.

so yeah, like, a year or two

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidpoocati posted:

Tyrell was effectively dead by 84. How it some how managed to Michael Schumacher itself into the 90s is nothing short of a miracle.

This thread is an homage to Tyrell post '84.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I refuse to believe most posters here actually witnessed the 80s race as anything other than a small child

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

First race I watched as a kid (fully, on my own) was when Senna died. Might be the reason why I never became the same big fan of M. Schumacher as everyone around here, because I wanted to see what all that hype was about, but instead saw someone die in a race (confirmed about half an hour after the incident, IIRC).

e: actually just rechecked the events on wikipedia. obviously his death was confirmed later, but I remember how I sat in front of the TV that day, checking the "news" that came rolling in.

tuo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 18, 2018

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Powershift posted:

I'd imagine he'll ditch the team once Vettel retires and are Lance takes his seat.

so yeah, like, a year or two

You mean he literally takes a seat from the Ferrari garage and tries to steal it? And then is arrested and loses his super license so he has to quit racing? It's a long shot... but still more likely than him landing a drive in a team that isn't owned by his dad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I refuse to believe most posters here actually witnessed the 80s race as anything other than a small child

I was not a child of the 80s.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Obviously not.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I watched and remember races in the 80s when I was 10, because I’m old. I’m also slightly deaf because 1980s parents didn’t believe in ear defenders.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Cactrot posted:

Here's a little more for ya

I had completely forgotten about Spyker.
By all accounts Tyrrell to BAR wasn't really anything more than the entry rights. Everything else got sold or tossed.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

By all accounts Tyrrell to BAR wasn't really anything more than the entry rights. Everything else got sold or tossed.

Also 1998 Tyrrell was really BAR in all but name. Ken Tyrrell actually resigned prior to the 1998 season.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I thought Our Jacques founded the BAR team alone with his own two hands?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

CratSock posted:

So here's teh thing about Lawrence Stroll. He loving genuinely loves motorsport and is the world's largest Ferrari collector and I'm pretty sure I drove past him on the highway thhe other day (I live in the Greater Toronto Area).

Lance or no Lance I'd be very surprised if he ditches his F1 team. It's something he's vied for years before the idea of inseminating a woman to create a piece of poo poo failson ever clicked together in his brain matter.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Frond posted:

Also 1998 Tyrrell was really BAR in all but name. Ken Tyrrell actually resigned prior to the 1998 season.
I thought 98 was still Actual-Tyrrell sans Ken and now owned by BAR. It was then during the following off season they closed down the team, sold off all the assets and switched over to the totally new team that survives today as Mercedes.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 19, 2018

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

So here's teh thing about Lawrence Stroll. He loving genuinely loves motorsport and is the world's largest Ferrari collector and I'm pretty sure I drove past him on the highway thhe other day (I live in the Greater Toronto Area).

Lance or no Lance I'd be very surprised if he ditches his F1 team. It's something he's vied for years before the idea of inseminating a woman to create a piece of poo poo failson ever clicked together in his brain matter.

Pretty sure Vijay Mallya owned the team as a prestige thing than a sporting interest

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

djssniper posted:

Pretty sure Vijay Mallya owned the team as a prestige thing than a sporting interest

This is probably more than 75% of owners in sports to be fair.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

djssniper posted:

I like how Mallya's still retweeting Force Point Racing or whatever it's called now even when he no longer owns the team.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

Interesting. I didn't know he was actually so into the sport. That makes it tougher for him to have some kind of obligation to keep his awful son around in a team he's actually trying to maintain and make competitive. Owners with big money and genuine interest are great for the sport, and it seems he has good potential. I hope it isn't crushed by his ties to Lance.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Me reading your posts

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DoctorGonzo posted:

Me reading your posts

looks like you staring at a bad completo

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pre season testing will be shown on F1 tv

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Can’t wait to see Mclaren becoming even more embarrassing live.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DoctorGonzo posted:

Pre season testing will be shown on F1 tv

nice

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Yeah, can't wait to see a snowy Spain in March as this garbage excuse for a sport pretends climate change isn't a thing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Yeah, can't wait to see a snowy Spain in March as this garbage excuse for a sport pretends climate change isn't a thing.

Hi preseason testing

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Theophany posted:

HA HA HA HA!!!!!!111 If climate change was real, wouldn't Spain be hot in March????? You liberal hippy!!!!!!!!!!!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I’m the 15 years we’ve been talking about this but no government or nation has proposed tougher vehicle emissions standard than what was already present elsewhere in the world instead we all signed a meaningless document with no penalties.

Hey governments of the world: Make new vehicle emissions more stringent hth

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They imposed some moderate efficiency rules on F1 and Mercedes made the most efficient reciprocating engine ever devised in the span of like 2 years. All you gotta do is give Germans some orders and they can accomplish amazing things

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The trick is to make them do stuff without crossing the Polish border.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DoctorGonzo posted:

Me reading your posts

Get your own gimmick

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You Am I posted:

Get your own gimmick

Nice Meltdown

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

Nice Meltdown

Enough about scuderdia ferrai though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

1500quidpoocati posted:

I’m the 15 years we’ve been talking about this but no government or nation has proposed tougher vehicle emissions standard than what was already present elsewhere in the world instead we all signed a meaningless document with no penalties.

Hey governments of the world: Make new vehicle emissions more stringent hth

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They imposed some moderate efficiency rules on F1 and Mercedes made the most efficient reciprocating engine ever devised in the span of like 2 years. All you gotta do is give Germans some orders and they can accomplish amazing things

Yeah. Volkswagen made tougher vehicle emissions unnecessary with the huge advances in diesel engine efficiency they made.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The craziest part is that they are operating at a thermal efficient of like 60%+ or something absurd.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Brainwrong posted:

HA HA HA HA!!!!!!111 If climate change was real, wouldn't Spain be hot in March????? You liberal hippy!!!!!!!!!!!

You have bested me with your superior brains. I shall endeavour to feed my own more oxygen by ventilating my skull.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Theophany posted:

You have bested me with your superior brains. I shall endeavour to feed my own more oxygen by ventilating my skull.

I have dispatched an off-duty Favor driver to bring quick-dry caulk to your house. Place the tip of the caulk gun on your winkle. Caulk it shut.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I have dispatched an off-duty Favor driver to bring quick-dry caulk to your house. Place the tip of the caulk gun on your winkle. Caulk it shut.

\lignsifcnsignhignsclgcinhg;ernhg8reharehn kln\sn;s odghs;ogmh;so ng;ONSDHG;SDHNG;h;ahgh;:;hn;nhgsihgn wh; o;nh ;ohohhweeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Major U.K. airport has been shut down because someone with drones has worked out how to bypass the jammers and avoid the helicopters and snipers. Military has been called in, only flaw in this plan is that the drones only show up when the runways are reopened.

Merry Christmas from broken Britain!