Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Also Christopher walken

I know Walken (appropriately) gets a pass on almost everything, but there's no way Schreck was supposed to be that one guy's father. Just slapping a white wig on Walken was the most :effort: thing in that movie.

Edit: Apparently he was 49 in that movie? Huh. That hair still looked like a cheap Halloween prop.

Eclipse12 has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bruce in Batman vs Superman is extremely hosed up but not the fun kind of manic thrill hosed up Keaton is and more a very depressing and worrying hosed up.

Who even gives a poo poo about Justice League (film) Bruce.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about him in JL was him slamming a 12oz glass of whiskey like it's no big deal.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My favorite thing about him in JL was him slamming a 12oz glass of whiskey like it's no big deal.

idk, JL Batffleck sounds pretty relatable to me

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

CaptainCrunch posted:

As if that wasn’t enough, Fox-as-Electro’s thoughts are audible in the actual soundtrack to the film.

Seriously, that movie is so loving good for this reason alone. Electro was too amazing and almost made up for the lovely goblin thing.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I loved all the practical effects and stunts in Amazing Spider-Man, if nothing else. The Raimi movies would've been much better if they'd done more of that. The early 2000s cgi is the worst part now.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Imagined posted:

I loved all the practical effects and stunts in Amazing Spider-Man, if nothing else. The Raimi movies would've been much better if they'd done more of that. The early 2000s cgi is the worst part now.

It was terrible at the time, too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Affleck was a really good Batman and I say this as a man who finds Affleck a 7 out of 10 at best

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Wasn't it a bit too on point given Affleck's personal life?

That said I'm down with drunk Batman.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

"Santa Claus: The Movie" is a pretty presumptuous title.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That wasn’t acting,he just didn’t realise the cameras were rolling etc etc.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really loathe the Cersei character in Game of Thrones because she's so boring and one note. She's basically a way worse version of Atia from Rome. Atia is not only ruthless, but loyal to her family while also being really funny. Also Rome had way more potential than Game of Thrones. If only it had the same support from HBO.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more straight up alcoholics superheroes like Tony Stark or Carol Danvers, you don't see the kind of poo poo they do and don't hit a dozen bottles to keep your sanity

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Samuringa posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more straight up alcoholics superheroes like Tony Stark or Carol Danvers, you don't see the kind of poo poo they do and don't hit a dozen bottles to keep your sanity

Did Watchmen have any superheroes who were driven to drink? Seems like a missed trick otherwise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rascar Capac posted:

Did Watchmen have any superheroes who were driven to drink? Seems like a missed trick otherwise.

Wasn't the Mothman from the Minutemen team in the 30s an alcoholic? I remember one of the Nite Owl autobiography chapters explaining how he had all these addictions, then when he was targeted by McCarthy he had a complete mental breakdown on top of it.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Imagined posted:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Imagined posted:

I think it's just my irrational hatred of Tobey Maguire that makes me like the 2 amazing movies so much better than the Raimi ones. At least I like Michael Keaton though.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Ghaha that is pretty bad,i still remember spiderman 1 at the cinema like it was yesterday,the way the webs fired and thwipped still makes me giddy,and the heroic music,and i was tearing up at uncle bens last moments,great movie.
Also macy gray lol.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Exact shot I was thinking of. Raimi couldn't manage a single shot of 1/4 of Spidy's body, from the back, barely even 'swinging' without it looking like trash. It's painfully obvious it's a dummy, and Kristen's not doing anything to sell the fact that she's supposed to be high in the air, not just a foot off the floor.

Also, the 'wind' changes direction, based on her hair, even though it looks like she's supposed to be going in the same direction the whole time.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Exact shot I was thinking of. Raimi couldn't manage a single shot of 1/4 of Spidy's body, from the back, barely even 'swinging' without it looking like trash. It's painfully obvious it's a dummy, and Kristen's not doing anything to sell the fact that she's supposed to be high in the air, not just a foot off the floor.

Also, the 'wind' changes direction, based on her hair, even though it looks like she's supposed to be going in the same direction the whole time.

These are all features, imo. I think we have completely different ideas on what does or does not constitute a 'flaw' in a cheesy superhero movie directed by Evil Dead's Sam Raimi.

That movie took the entire concept about as serious as one should. It's goofy. It's fun. It's for kids.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Into the Spiderverse is the best Spider-Man movie now anyway. Everyone go see that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Harton posted:

Yeah Keaton was pretty incredible as Batman. I recently watched the first 2 again after a long time and was pretty blown away how different child me remembered them. The scene posted earlier of him flipping out on the joker is the only way to play the character that makes any sense. I don’t really remember any other Bruce Wayne/Villain interactions in other movies. I’m sure they happened, but this dude is obviously psychotic in his reaction. I’m sure if it happens in other movies Bruce plays it cool to not blow his cover or something.

This is all an asspull though, I haven’t watched any of the Batman movies except 1 or 2 since the Nolan trilogy ended. Been even longer since I saw any of the monstrosities that came after Batman Returns.

I think it's funny that in Batman 89 despite wearing body armor, he can be knocked down by gunfire, but by the time we get to BvS, he can take point blank gunshots to the head and be fine.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Have you ever watched a Raimi film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9wVzDytTFU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think it’s an endearingly naff shot.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Davros1 posted:

I think it's funny that in Batman 89 despite wearing body armor, he can be knocked down by gunfire, but by the time we get to BvS, he can take point blank gunshots to the head and be fine.

I like Raimi movies, but I'm not huge on his Spiderman movies.
I think comparing Darkman to Spiderman isn't exactly fair. There was a 10 year gap between the movies, in which technology progressed a ton, and there was also a $110M difference between the budgets. The CGI in Spiderman should have looked better in my opinion.
In addition, purposefully looking cheesy works for something like the DocOc attack, that was quintessential Raimi. With the Darkman clip you posted, it worked because the movie was channeling Looney Tunes pretty hard core. The swinging scene in Spiderman looking like crap just makes it look like crap.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Davros1 posted:

Wow i watched darkman alot as a kid and i don't remember this even slightly,i should watch it again.They made a sequel didn't they? was it poo poo?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wow i watched darkman alot as a kid and i don't remember this even slightly,i should watch it again.They made a sequel didn't they? was it poo poo?

Two sequels. They ain't the greatest, but they have some moments. And Larry Drake hamming it up in the second one. Arnold Vosloo couldn't bring the insanity like Neeson could though.

There was also a half hour, unaired TV pilot that was a basic retelling of the movie.

The four spin off novels were better in my opinion.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Davros1 posted:

Two sequels. They ain't the greatest, but they have some moments. And Larry Drake hamming it up in the second one. Arnold Vosloo couldn't bring the insanity like Neeson could though.

There was also a half hour, unaired TV pilot that was a basic retelling of the movie.

The four spin off novels were better in my opinion.

oh poo poo arnold vosloo! i'm in! love that guy!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Hes wearing the inner suit of what he fought Superman in, blocking a point blank bullet is like the bare minimum of what it would need to do.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Barudak posted:

Hes wearing the inner suit of what he fought Superman in, blocking a point blank bullet is like the bare minimum of what it would need to do.

Looked like the same suit to me :shrug:

oh poo poo arnold vosloo! i'm in! love that guy!

The thing that cracked me up the most, is the DVD for DARKMAN III: DIE DARKMAN DIE, was so barebones, it didn't even have a MENU screen!

Davros1 has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Dec 19, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, the second one has Larry Drake coming back from the dead and kidnapping a mad scientist so he can get him to manufacture laser guns, which he then sells to this neo-Nazi gang, leading to them going:

:freep: "A toast to the right to bear arms!"
:smug: "The far-right."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The fact Darkman 3 gets the DIE DARKMAN DIE treatment keeps it as a childhood favorite.

R.E. alcoholic superheroes: I'm a little disappointed that Tony Stark doesn't have the alcoholic subplot but it's a Marvel movie so I doubt they'll breach that subject & go all Leaving Las Vegas with him. The Comedian in Watchmen is depicted as a drunk, which is in line with the comics.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

re: Darkman sequels. Darkman III was filmed before Darkman II due to actor availability, then their release was postponed, because, having been originally earmarked to go direct to video, Universal was briefly considering releasing them to theaters.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Davros1 posted:

Batman essentially became Iron Batman in those 30 years so it kinda makes sense

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Imagined posted:

What's up with Aunt May getting younger and hotter with every reboot.

Rami Aunt May and JJJ casting will never be topped imho.

This IIMM is MY IIMM. Peter is a teenager. Why the gently caress would his aunt be 90 billion years old? Great Aunt, maybe, but they never call her that. She's his Aunt. I'm nearing 40 and my mom isn't even 70 yet, why the gently caress would her sister be DECADES older? I graduated highschool the same year my Aunt turned 50, and my mom didn't have me young, she was in her 30s.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rascar Capac posted:

I don't think the Comedian drank alone in his apartment because he was real happy about his life.

Mothman was an alkie though.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Kruller posted:

This IIMM is MY IIMM. Peter is a teenager. Why the gently caress would his aunt be 90 billion years old? Great Aunt, maybe, but they never call her that. She's his Aunt. I'm nearing 40 and my mom isn't even 70 yet, why the gently caress would her sister be DECADES older? I graduated highschool the same year my Aunt turned 50, and my mom didn't have me young, she was in her 30s.

Rosemary Harris (Aunt May in Raimiverse) was 80 at the time of release of Spiderman 3.

Sally Field (Amazing) was 66 at release of Amazing 1.

Marisa Tomei was 52 at first appearance in Civil War, 53 at Homecoming.

Factually, Marisa Tomei's is the appropriate age for an Aunt to a High Schooler, not an 80 year old geriatric.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
A lot of people just drop the "great" from great-aunt, which I guess I always assumed was the case in Raimi's Spiderman(I don't really know anything about Spiderman in the comics).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aunt May is related by marriage, not blood. Ben was Peter's father's brother.

All you gotta do is depict Ben an appropriate age for the 4 minutes of screentime he gets, and he was just into grannys. Boom, fixed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had a friend who's siblings were 20+ years older than him.
His parents were in their 60s when he was in middle school. So one of his aunt's was 75 when he was a freshman.

Stuff can get weird but having the actor be around 55 makes the most sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There are comics where Uncle Ben and Aunt May are shown adopting the toddler Peter and they look to be in their 60s, maybe edging into their 70s. Peter's parents are usually portrayed as being in their 30s when they disappeared, so Ben would be maybe 30 years older than his younger brother.