Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wrestlepig posted:

I chose to play a female barbarian with red hair for a campaign and Boy there’s a lot of people who want to gently caress Red Sonja in 2018

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I once used redhead barbarian art for a pbp and I recognized what fetish model they’d traced for the face.

Also Tumblr used to be real good for character art but is obviously over.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Holy poo poo, I hadn't realized Elfwood went offline.

drat. I had stuff up there from when I was like, 14.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bahamut posted:

Please don't ever be discouraged by something like this! I know I'm probably one of the worst offenders when it comes to prettying up applications, but at the end of the day it really is about your character's concept and build, and ultimately what the individual running their game wants to do, and what themes and ideas appeal to them the most, and they feel will work best for their game.

I made this cute little application for a Final Fantasy-themed game years ago (someone else actually made a gif of it, but I sadly don't have it anymore) and didn't get in. While it is novel thing to look at, there really wasn't too much to her concept-wise. There were definitely better apps. I should have spent more time writing something a little more comprehensive rather than trying to transform a Rydia sprite into a paladin. I've never done anything so graphically ambitious since.

Okay but this is actually pretty rad even if you didn't get into the game.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

SunAndSpring posted:

gently caress it sucks to see like a new system I'm interested in trying in recruitment here and then try to spend a little bit thinking about making a character and when I check in on it again, there's like 10 more apps and they've all got fancy little titles they made in Photoshop and cool pictures and meanwhile I'm scrounging Pinterest to try and find something cool and Photoshop is a frightening and arcane system for me. This happens so often.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I got into a game with a poorly photoshopped and extremely artifacted picture of Hannibal Buress in a helmet. It's better to focus more effort on writing something fun and fresh.

Finding character art can be a total struggle outside certain genres though, yeah.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I don't even bother looking for character art until I get into a game, personally. It's always a hassle and if you're basing your character choices off art rather than concept I can't see that game turning out well except by accident.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SunAndSpring posted:

gently caress it sucks to see like a new system I'm interested in trying in recruitment here and then try to spend a little bit thinking about making a character and when I check in on it again, there's like 10 more apps and they've all got fancy little titles they made in Photoshop and cool pictures and meanwhile I'm scrounging Pinterest to try and find something cool and Photoshop is a frightening and arcane system for me. This happens so often.

100% agreeing with what everyone else said about content being more important than pretty, but I also want you to know : Photoshop is really not scary for basic use. I taught myself it over a weekend when I was like 12 and somehow that’s still a marketable skill that people think makes me a wizard. Download GIMP or whatever is free that looks good and just mess around with it, googling “[program name] [what you want to do]”. You’ll be fine.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

:justpost:

But truth - this is why I keep an (organized, indexed) archive of character concept art.

Next time you're cruising through image sites for ideas, anything you see that looks interesting? Just save it. Basic organization's plenty - like genre/race/class (Fantasy/Dwarf/Warrior, for example).

Then next time you've got a need, you're 90% of the way there. Hard drive space is cheap these days, having a couple of hundred images at immediate hand is basically nothing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Counterpoint: as a GM, I often look for the middle ground apps. Too little effort and its a bad idea, but its also bad to have a 1+ page of backstory and crap because I don't want to read/listen to that much b.s. constantly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I've never let that stop me before but I do sympathize with struggling to find just the right bit of character art.

That's kept me from applying for more games I probably would have had fun with than about anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I tend to start with a simple back story concept and flesh it out as I go.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
A long interesting backstory isn't as good as a short interesting backstory. A few punchy sentences should be enough to paint a solid picture of a character concept.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think I have ever had more than two or three sentences worth of backstory before starting a game.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

if you make me read six paragraphs of mediocre prose I will end your life

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's been several years since I ran a game here, but when I did, I was not recruiting based on "interesting character concepts" as much as "is this player reliable." Which is really hard to gauge, but... I'd rather have a poster who isn't going to drop out after 4-6 months, than an amazing character concept that doesn't make it past the second act.

Secondarily was "can this poster post good" and that really comes down to skimming their previous posts in other games and seeing if they are just endlessly "I do X" or if they enhance the game with interesting narrative, dialogue, action, etc. Which obviously favors long-time posters over newcomers, so I'd try to include newcomers too, but as a minority so the others can carry the game a bit if it turns out they're not as good.

Character art is more or less meaningless to me, and it's rare to find someone who is unable to develop a feel for their character through actual play. In my experience, the background is only really important to the player themselves, the other players and the GM tend to maybe remember one or two things at most from it, and often ignore it completely in favor of what is going on in-game. The GM might mine your background for NPCs, but that can come from even an extremely thinly sketched out bio for the character.

And honestly I've always preferred to see characters built and backgrounds put together as a group. I'd rather assemble three to five good posters and have them make characters together with me over a couple of weeks, than have three to five excellently-conceived characters who have nothing to do with one another thrown together at the start of an adventure that was designed without them in mind.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I used to do so much more pbp gaming before systems existed... hmm

Also yeah, good concepts trump cool art. Also matching the theme of the game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Heck, I used to ask people not to even make a character. I asked them questions like "why do you want to play this game" and "what do you hope happens" and the such.

I didn't care about characters. I was guaging the player's interest, what they would play like, and how reliable they were.

I stopped that because people found it invasive and uncomfortable. Got me some good playgroups, though. Made sure we had shared interests and let me know what to do to keep their ibterest.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I tend to start with a simple back story concept and flesh it out as I go.

I tend to start with a complex mechanical gimmick that I'm excited about.

I don't sign up for many goon games. :v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

SunAndSpring posted:

Most of the logos I do are just use cooltext.com or flamingtext.com. Sometimes I've gussied up logos using gimp, but my ability to worry about mammoth, labyrinthine effort like that has been solved by the simple repetition of rejection. In general, PtbA games here have been shark-and-blood pools. Things have actually dialed back from where they were where games often had like double-digits of questions to answer. But it's somewhat surreal that PbtA - the game that's supposed be bam, fill out a form, have a character in 15 minutes - turned into this.

Granted, at the same time, it's always funny to see people lash out at the notion of folks writing a lot for a system that actually asks a fair number of questions on the sheet... on a chat forum where writing words is how you express your character. That's not to say that folks don't go overboard, that's not to say I haven't gone overboard, but... at the same time, all those questions are on the playbook, and they're not exactly simple ones. Granted, I appreciated a recent recruit that was "give concept and art" and worried about a full character later, which feels like a better way to go for PbtA IMO.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Can't get rejected from games you don't apply to.

:smaug-thinking:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Leperflesh posted:

And honestly I've always preferred to see characters built and backgrounds put together as a group. I'd rather assemble three to five good posters and have them make characters together with me over a couple of weeks, than have three to five excellently-conceived characters who have nothing to do with one another thrown together at the start of an adventure that was designed without them in mind.

It depends on the system, but PbtA games tend to base what the game will be about depending on what playbooks the players pick - you don’t make adventures or what’s going on in the rest of the world before that. So it’s fairly easy to look at the PCs once you’ve picked them in a PbP game and start doing your prep then instead of before characters are created.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heliotrope posted:

It depends on the system, but PbtA games tend to base what the game will be about depending on what playbooks the players pick - you don’t make adventures or what’s going on in the rest of the world before that. So it’s fairly easy to look at the PCs once you’ve picked them in a PbP game and start doing your prep then instead of before characters are created.

That's certainly true. What helped me grok Masks was it was much more about the story the playbook told than the powers it had, and I've even both myself and others get tripped up by that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

whydirt posted:

Can't get rejected from games you don't apply to.

:smaug-thinking:

drat straight

:smugbutalsodepresseddog:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I tend to start with a complex mechanical gimmick that I'm excited about.

I don't sign up for many goon games. :v:

A friend of mine does that kind of thing. There's actually fun to be had in translating that into fluff.

I think of the characters in an RPG as a 'cast' rather than a party or a group, which can sometimes be the right idea.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A friend of mine does that kind of thing. There's actually fun to be had in translating that into fluff.

Oh I know, I've had a fair amount of success with just that. It's just that if someone submits an entire biography of their character as part of the sign-up process, and I sign up too, odds are one of us isn't going to get the kind of game they're interested in.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Seconding the recommendation for Cooltext.com, that is how almost everyone makes their character logos in the Masks threads. No artistic talent required just a bit of playing with settings until you get something you like. Everyone else is just as busy hunting through deviantart and pinterest as you, we've just got a lot of stuff bookmarked.

Also goons love helping other goons find art, in my experience. If you're struggling ask in the discord and people will help!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
On that topic, are there GMT goons who might put up with someone unsure about a system playing or running?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
*slowly pulls a thick stack of PBTA games from under the table*

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dawgstar posted:

That's certainly true. What helped me grok Masks was it was much more about the story the playbook told than the powers it had, and I've even both myself and others get tripped up by that.

Yeah, I get tripped up on Masks a lot because the playbook powersets are pretty strongly themed towards existing superheroes, and when I'm trying to come up with something novel as opposed to 'part of the Teen Titans cast with the number rubbed off' it can throw me out of my groove.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

How do they do not-Beast Boy again?

Reminded of how in Star Trek DS9, Odo and the Changelings in general are basically the exact opposite of the stereotypical personality you'd expect from a character whose main gimmick is shapeshifting. Did help that Odo's abilities are fairly limited because it's an extremely difficult skill that takes decades to master.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How do they do not-Beast Boy again?

Depends. What part of Beast Boy do you find interesting? The guy from the storied Doom Patrol off on his own to prove he doesn't need them to be a hero? Legacy. Happy go lucky guy who is just so excited to be here? Beacon.

In the show, he be a beacon that takes legacy moves later to "reveal" his past to the table.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now that it's brought up I don't know any playbook has 'turn into animal' powers.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I always took the powersets in the playbooks to be more guidelines than rules anyway, though the Nova should always be potentially incredibly destructive.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

I know that was probably sarcasm but I’d be totally up for that if I could learn/practice.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Splicer posted:

Run a game of Monsterhearts set in an ER with sexy doctor werewolves and maximal levels of story woo.

Record everything for my amusement.

Please give me this Christmas miracle, Splicer.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Dawgstar posted:

Now that it's brought up I don't know any playbook has 'turn into animal' powers.

The Doomed and the Outsider both have a shapeshifting option explicitly, but lots of abilities, especially physical ones, can be fluffed as shape-shifting. The Legacy's set of flight, strength, toughness, super senses, and eye beams could easily be shapeshifting into birds, gorillas, tortoises, wolves, and mantis shrimp, for example. Likewise, the Bull's power set could be shapeshifting into strong, tough, deadly animals, though it doesn't have the breadth of utility of Beadt Boy's.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

GimpInBlack posted:

The Doomed and the Outsider both have a shapeshifting option explicitly, but lots of abilities, especially physical ones, can be fluffed as shape-shifting. The Legacy's set of flight, strength, toughness, super senses, and eye beams could easily be shapeshifting into birds, gorillas, tortoises, wolves, and mantis shrimp, for example. Likewise, the Bull's power set could be shapeshifting into strong, tough, deadly animals, though it doesn't have the breadth of utility of Beadt Boy's.

I think the Teen Titans version of him works better as the Outsider anyway. Plays more on his fears that he'll never really find a place to belong, given that he's a green dude whose talents are more in line with a circus freak than a hero's, in his own mind.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Liquid Communism posted:

I think the Teen Titans version of him works better as the Outsider anyway. Plays more on his fears that he'll never really find a place to belong, given that he's a green dude whose talents are more in line with a circus freak than a hero's, in his own mind.

You'd have to have a very liberal interpretation of "your homeland" for any of the Outsider moves to make sense for Beast Boy, since they're alll about literally being from Atlantis or the moon or whatever, but if you fluffed it as "the weird jungle preserve where he lived alone with his mom and the animals," it could work.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Liquid Communism posted:

Less Outsider and more the Transformed, I think, since he straight up can't pass for human and that's a big source of his angst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

In one bad future he literally works as a circus freak. (in a cage to protect him from his audience, not to keep him in) There's a lot of sad clown going on with him. Most of his major episodes and storylines are about trying to fit in and deal with teenage things amplified by superpowered weirdness, like struggling with his masculinity, trying to date a troubled girl, and reconciling with his estranged, dysfunctional family.

GimpInBlack posted:

You'd have to have a very liberal interpretation of "your homeland" for any of the Outsider moves to make sense for Beast Boy, since they're alll about literally being from Atlantis or the moon or whatever, but if you fluffed it as "the weird jungle preserve where he lived alone with his mom and the animals," it could work.

He was actually raised by the Doom Patrol, one of the more out-there superhero teams of the DC universe, after being orphaned at a young age. He's got more of a military brat thing going for him, but the important part is that he's never really known any life other than a superhero. That said, like nearly all the Titans are outsiders in some way or another, Cyborg had the closest to an ordinary life and struggles with how he's never going to be normal again.