Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm finally watching Apostle, already better than The Raid 2 (great trailer, eh sequel), but I gotta say getting to the Peking scene it was hard not to be split between OH GOD NO and poo poo YEAH GET THOSE WHITE GHOST DEVILS

Just wondering, did you have any problem following the plot in The Raid 2? I only bring it up because the movie has a lot of characters to keep track of and the story is much more complicated than the original. So it took me a second viewing to really absorb the details of the plot, which allowed me to enjoy the movie so much more than I did the first time. The action itself is on the same level as The Raid if not improved in some instances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Just wondering, did you have any problem following the plot in The Raid 2? I only bring it up because the movie has a lot of characters to keep track of and the story is much more complicated than the original. So it took me a second viewing to really absorb the details of the plot, which allowed me to enjoy the movie so much more than I did the first time. The action itself is on the same level as The Raid if not improved in some instances.
I might benefit from a second viewing. I dunno, I thought it was fine and I followed the plot from what I can remember, I just found most of the charm of the first Raid to be how contained it was. I get that this is the logical Aliens move to make, and the spectacle was okay, but stuff like the baseball bat guy and hammer girl just kinda made me roll my eyes (not a huuuge fan of their action scenes either). cartoony B-grade Park Chan wook inventions. Like, Battle Royale characters.
tbf, I guess it's pretty much what you have to do with a sequel to The Raid. If it had just been a rehash of the elements I appreciated about The Raid then that would've been lame in its own ways.

It's not so much that I didn't like The Raid 2, maybe I was being a bit too hot take up there. I just really liked The Raid and (so far) Apostle.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I just really like that as a follow-up Evans just went full on into a Sergio Leone-style operatic epic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do agree that the hammer girl and baseball guy were the weakest part of the movie. They're just one step over the line, a bit too ridiculous.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Basebf555 posted:

I do agree that the hammer girl and baseball guy were the weakest part of the movie. They're just one step over the line, a bit too ridiculous.

I'm surprised they cut out the gang war segment and not that, frankly

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I definitely agree with the sentiment that The Raid worked so well because of its limited scope. Wasn't a fan of 2 at all but it might be worth a rewatch. Apostle was pretty badass though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Once you really have a handle on all the characters and factions in the Raid 2, it's just so much easier to sit back and enjoy it fully. Maybe that's a legit criticism, that it's difficult to absorb important plot details on first viewing. But I feel like there are other great movies that have the same thing going on, not the least of which is The Godfather.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Anybody looking forward to Roma on Netflix this weekend? I'm gonna bite the bullet and go watch it at a local movie theater tomorrow

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I am a big fan of Christopher Meloni, so i figured i'd start watching "Happy!"

That was one hell of a pilot episode. And this is a "Sy Fy" original?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fargin Icehole posted:

I am a big fan of Christopher Meloni, so i figured i'd start watching "Happy!"

That was one hell of a pilot episode. And this is a "Sy Fy" original?

It’s based on a Grant Morrison comic book.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Ignis posted:

Anybody looking forward to Roma on Netflix this weekend? I'm gonna bite the bullet and go watch it at a local movie theater tomorrow

Experiencing Roma in the theater is well worth it. Shame that it has such a limited screening run.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
there's no story in the raid 2 its just white noise in between mook beatdowns/boss battles. the problem is there is way too much of it and it makes the movie too long

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

there's no story in the raid 2 its just white noise in between mook beatdowns/boss battles. the problem is there is way too much of it and it makes the movie too long

There's a story, I mean if you don't like the story that's one thing, but there's most definitely a story.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I liked Raid 2, but honestly it is a movie I can never watch from start to finish again. Still there are certain parts I can watch over and over. That said the Apostle, for me the bad out weighed the good for me. Might be my biggest letdown of 2018.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, now that I finished Apostle I'm not sure I rank it over The Raid 2. They're kinda equal to me now.
With Apostle I really liked The first half or chunk of it before he's exposed, all the sneaking, slow burn tension about being exposed, like the lineup where they have to repeat the gospel...even if sometimes it didn't make sense like, wouldn't members of this flock kind of start getting he's an interloper with all the confusion and curiosity he seems to present vis a vis all their rituals and religion...
it was still tense and good, and I liked the Peking backstory...but somewhere it lost me? somewhere towards the second half I stopped being sure of character's motivations and the reasons for their actions, and it just got more muddled and overlong...

Ultimately I see it as like, something I already knew, which is that Gareth Evans is a creative and promising director even if he's made some flawed films. hints and dashes of The Wicker Man and even kinda like, Princess Mononoke if that makes any sense.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
First Reformed was really good. I thought it was an interesting detail that he says "I'm so sorry, Joseph!" reflexively when he spills soup on the guy in the wheelchair. The guy in the wheelchair is billed in the credits as "war vet in wheelchair" and the reverend's dead son was named Joseph. One of the first things I've watched in a while that my thoughts have returned to afterwards.

Definitely will be rewatching sooner than later

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cam was a lot better than I thought it was gonna be. Pretty clever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Made it like 30 minutes into American Meme and I’m pretty sure I’d be ok with a giant meteor hitting this planet now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Made it like 30 minutes into American Meme and I’m pretty sure I’d be ok with a giant meteor hitting this planet now.

I was stoned and incredulous enough to make it about an hour, it's so bad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I prefer my dystopian future poo poo to be fiction.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

veni veni veni posted:

Black Mirror did it better :yum:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It got really good reviews.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
wrong thread

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh it’s actually a really well made doc. The people it follows are just loving appalling though. Especially irl Slurms McKenzie but they all just seem like god awful people.

I finished it against my better judgement lol.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

veni veni veni posted:

Oh it’s actually a really well made doc. The people it follows are just loving appalling though. Especially irl Slurms McKenzie but they all just seem like god awful people.

I finished it against my better judgement lol.

The only person I liked in that doc was the guy that was in the Britney Spears music video that was like 'lol nah' about a social media presence.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That guy seemed way too proud of himself for it. If there was anyone I even felt remotely sympathetic to, and I can't believe I'm saying this, it was Paris Hilton.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Netflix UK are so cruel, putting up season 1 of Ash vs Evil Dead, but not the next two seasons...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't watched this yet, but it's in the new releases on instant watcher for prime and it looks pretty amazing lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f1Be9qV3WM]

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't watched this yet, but it's in the new releases on instant watcher for prime and it looks pretty amazing lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f1Be9qV3WM]

I'm not familiar with this movie, but just be aware that most of Amazon's "-ploitation" movies are heavily edited and sometimes make even less sense than the original cut.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
The Innocent Man is on Netflix and is a good watch.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

ozmunkeh posted:

The Innocent Man is on Netflix and is a good watch.

Yep. Binged this last night. More criminal justice frustration a la Making A Murderer.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Springsteen on Broadway is on Netflix now. It's a fantastic show (I saw it live in March) and if you have any interest at all in Bruce I strongly suggest you watch it. It's a mix of talking and singing, with a real kickass acoustic version of Born in the USA as a highlight.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'd just like to say that Schitt's Creek is sooo good. David Rose has to be one of my most favorite characters ever.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I'd just like to say that Schitt's Creek is sooo good. David Rose has to be one of my most favorite characters ever.

Agreed on both counts. Dan Levy is a treasure.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Apostle had a lot of potential but just ended up feeling sloppy. Really would have benefited from being about 30 minutes shorter and a tighter narrative.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Travelers s3 is definitely worth watching if you liked the first 2 seasons, and Grace is still the best character on the show

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Flowers is a weird show. Silly dark comedy, silly dark comedy, oh here's a serious scene about chronic depression.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It was pretty uneven overall, but I enjoyed the first season of Future Man on Hulu quite a bit. Derek Wilson as Wolf in particular is amazing, I really wish we could get an 80s spinoff show featuring him.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Enos Cabell posted:

It was pretty uneven overall, but I enjoyed the first season of Future Man on Hulu quite a bit. Derek Wilson as Wolf in particular is amazing, I really wish we could get an 80s spinoff show featuring him.

If one grew up in the era of Top Gun, the volleyball scene made my cheeks hurt. That and the James Cameron house episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Apostle had a lot of potential but just ended up feeling sloppy. Really would have benefited from being about 30 minutes shorter and a tighter narrative.

My thoughts exactly, and overall it's a comment I've seen a lot about the movie. It has a really strong first act, then it drags in the middle and the last act just doesn't deliver enough to justify the runtime. It was badly in need of another edit.

I've heard people say that maybe this is a symptom of the whole Netflix production model, that when they snag a big name director they give them too much freedom and it leads to bloated films/shows that should've been edited better.