Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

So many QTEs in Merc2, it was maddening.

Do we QTE helos in just cause 4? I did manage to snag one, but it panicked and flew into a mountain almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oxxidation posted:

another game seriously hampered by over-enthusiastic enemies, but otoh it let me rescue hostages by driving a pickup truck through the wall of the building in which they were tied up

shame the remaster was apparently a mess

really. it runs well for me and it looks pretty. shooting hundreds of EDF chuds in ever expanding fire fights as Martian working class revolutionary is fun.

Oxxidation posted:

the weird pseudo-loyalty system of Mercs 1 added an unnecessary layer of stress to the game, i thought

couldn't explode too enthusiastically for fear of ticking off one of the other mission factions

id like if the faction stuff meant anything. like outside an ending and sometimes a free airstrike.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what I'm hearing is that this isn't a very good game

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Oh god the vehicles are impossible to control. Flying the helicopters feels like poo poo and motorcycles seem to turn in 25 degree increments.

Not QTEs as far as I can tell.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Huh, I didn't even know Red Faction Guerilla Re-Mars-tered was a thing and it's already in my Steam library since I own the original.

It's a ton of fun but I have approximately four thousand games I haven't played yet so I can't bring myself to reinstall it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

so i was waiting for the patch for xbox to see what they would fix, its out now and the game does indeed look a bit better, but after doing a couple missions it just draws your attention more to how aggravating the game itself is and how much of the fun of JC has been stripped from it. oh well. just gonna uninstall and chalk it up as an idiot fee

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Calaveron posted:

So what I'm hearing is that this isn't a very good game

$78 very well spent.

I've never known such instant buyer's remorse, it's an incredible feeling that I haven't felt in years and I'd do it again!

:smithicide:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

$78 very well spent.

I've never known such instant buyer's remorse, it's an incredible feeling that I haven't felt in years and I'd do it again!

:smithicide:

i am so glad i didn't buy it. i bought fist of the north star and BF V instead and both of those games are pretty fun. thanks for your sacrifice deakul. :patriot: :fireman:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Former Human posted:

Huh, I didn't even know Red Faction Guerilla Re-Mars-tered was a thing and it's already in my Steam library since I own the original.

It's a ton of fun but I have approximately four thousand games I haven't played yet so I can't bring myself to reinstall it.

It's still quite fun but a lot of the gloss has rubbed off with time.

It's really shallow and largely empty. The story is short and uninspired. The entire game is just a tech demo.

But drat... collapsing a tower just right is a feeling that's impossible to beat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deakul posted:

Ultimately Red Faction Guerilla is a far better alternative and it's criminal that that franchise is dead now.

I want to live in the world where Red Cause was created

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

RBA Starblade posted:

I want to live in the world where Red Cause was created

I wish I had never played RFG, it just makes any other game with "building destruction" seem so loving lazy and lame in comparison. :sigh:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am so glad i didn't buy it. i bought fist of the north star and BF V instead and both of those games are pretty fun. thanks for your sacrifice deakul. :patriot: :fireman:

I thought this would be a safe fallback after fallout '76.

Why yes, I AM bad with money. How did you guess?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

It's still quite fun but a lot of the gloss has rubbed off with time.

It's really shallow and largely empty. The story is short and uninspired. The entire game is just a tech demo.

But drat... collapsing a tower just right is a feeling that's impossible to beat.

it definitely shows its age but gameplay wise its still fun, which counts for a ton in my opinion.

Hav posted:

i am pretty sure i got that for christmas.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Hav posted:

Hav, I'm so sorry. I hope you can find the strength to get through these troubled times.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

You should buy some spaceship JPEGs.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

You should buy some spaceship JPEGs.

This is a trap.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't think this game is great either, but if you've got a copy, the region strike in Phuyu-Kuni has a really cool bit. It's definitely a highlight to the experience.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a mod up that you drop into your save folder which gives you 100% for all stunt missions, etc. In case you wanted to mess around and just gently caress with the campaign: https://justcause4mods.com/mods/100-no-campaign/

I haven't tried it yet, will provide a trip report.

Edit: okay it unlocked a shitload but the game is trapped in an endless cycle of dialogue spam now lmfao

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 27, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Stolen from Reddit;

quote:

This is a repost of my previous report due to a issue with the formatting of the previous post. I will now be updating this thread instead, should you wish to visit the old thread, it can be found here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/JustCause/comments/a2k75y/what_the_heck_is_going_on/?st=JP8XOX36&sh=e3b0cd7f

I also have a thread detailing and listing updates to the game, which I am continually updating with new information. This can be found here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/JustCause/comments/a2uboj/updates/?st=JP8Y3DYI&sh=7ff40553

If anyone has found any unlisted bugs or issues please explain in comments. Also if anyone has any fixes then it would be greatly appreciated!

Note that some or all of the listed issues may or may not affect you depending on your platform and experiences in game ————————————————————

Graphics: - Noticeable lower resolution for consoles (more than necessary for high frame rate), especially on base consoles. - Large amounts of pop in [FREQUENTLY REPORTED] - Low draw distance - Cutscenes are especially low quality [FREQUENTLY REPORTED] - Going underwater underneath a thunderstorm creates blinding white box’s of lightning effects - Whilst in some jets going through a sandstorm, the engine/jet will have a strange white box around it - Tornado is overly visible while underwater - Incorrect rendering of waterfalls at long distances - Multiple visual issues relating to the AR scan, including not being able to see objectives when looking directly at them - 2d Textures instead of 3d Objects in many places. (Railways, Some waterfalls etc) [FREQUENTLY REPORTED] - While underwater, white silhouette of Rico is sometimes visible on the waters surface, possibly relating to reflections - Issues with reflections where reflections are drastically over sized. - Flickering effect on many parts of the game including grass, hair, clothes and bushes. Possibly a rendering bug. - No visual options for consoles (eg no brightness, contrast, gamma sliders etc) - Water is made of flat textures in many parts, particularly around waterfalls - No way of changing font size for subtitles, this is problematic as the default size is too small for many users. - Many problems for ultra wide monitors, where HUD elements won’t stretch etc

————————————————————

Bugs/Issues:

Multiple problems relating to lack of smoothness in camera when driving a vehicle, causing motion sickness in some cases. [FREQUENTLY REPORTED]
Unable to set precision aim mode to “toggle”
Voices from characters will occasionally break, causing them to mouth words while nothing audible is produced. This has been reported as both a temporary and permanent bug. [FREQUENTLY REPORTED]
Lights (Specifically on aircraft or high speed vehicles) are incorrectly displayed behind the vehicle, causing a “lag” effect.
Frequent crashes on PC [FREQUENTLY REPORTED]
Crashes on PC relating to “Error 34” [FREQUENTLY REPORTED]
Crashing when cutscenes commence, specifically cutscenes relating to side quests. [FREQUENTLY REPORTED]
NPC planes can “float”, hovering in the air
Microjet can fly upwards, while upside down, without having the wings extended (I’m no pilot but that seems a tad odd)
Can’t enable/disable the nitros or turbo on supplied vehicles (A feature present in just cause 3)
Overly long wait for holding button between grappling and tethering
Button prompts for jet pack are still displayed when wing suiting after changing from jet pack to wingsuit
Incorrect movement of aileron flaps on some aircraft
Player can become stuck mid-way through hijacking animation, with no control of vehicle or Rico
No slider for sensitivity of precision aim
Bridges can become transparent and no longer physical objects, causing the player to simply fall through them.
Birds can become stuck in two parallel straight lines, motionless. Possible their spawn position.
Game would not start up correctly for many PC users, error stating “DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG”. Apparently a problem relating to the users GPU drivers or the overclocking of their GPU.
Multiple Issues relating to delayed/out of sync dialogue, often caused by loading problems
NPC planes will often fly directly upwards (defying physics) then point directly down to re-adjust which causes them to crash [FREQUENTLY REPORTED]
“UMA” and “PBX SUPER-SNIPER 4” are both listed twice in the supply drop menu
Ultralight turning sensitivity far too high
NPC’s are reluctant to leave burning vehicles
Some bridges aren’t destructible (all bridges were destructible in just cause 3)
NPC’s make no attempt at avoiding the tornado, instead just driving on same path
During Meteolab side mission, air ship can become glitched, being able to be hacked after it’s blown up, whereas usually you cannot.
Glitch where Rico’s wingsuit becomes invisible
Some PC users cannot save or auto save
Bug where Sargento will say he’s “sending you the coordinates” but no coordinates are actually sent
Cutscenes will often start empty of any characters for a short period of time, before loading them all in and delaying dialogue
Debris can be lodged in car, becoming stuck and hindering the players view.
Motorbikes have little to no turning when going at higher speeds
Issue with steering of blimp/airship, where PC users cannot steer.
Bug where attempting to grapple while closing parachute causes Rico to fall to ground.
Bug relating to the sky striker “jet pack” where full bar of power is used regardless of how long user powers it.
Rico’s head can briefly become transparent in certain lighting or when loading.
The auto re-adjustment for vehicle cameras only adjusts horizontally, not vertically
“Losing Items” where an unlocked item is lost and no longer available after the user reloads the game. This has also been reportedly happening to user’s grapple mods, pilots etc.
Changing camera direction while driving causes the camera to completely stop, especially for the “Warrior Off-roader” vehicle.
Many achievements are unobtainable on XB1
https://www.reddit.com/r/JustCause/comments/a2ueue/bugs_issues_community_report/

Impressive.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
New patch just got released on steam, haven't been able to test if it fixes stuff for me:

quote:

Patch #2 - 20190117
Hey everyone,

As always, a massive thank you to everyone who has supported Just Cause 4 to date. Over the holidays we continued to follow all of your feedback and are pleased to announce we have a new PC patch.

Last month we released an automatic crash reporting tool for the PC and since then, our primary focus with this latest patch was fixing the most common crashes PC users were experiencing.

Here are some of the new updates in the PC Just Cause 4 Patch:

PC – Patch Notes:
Major stability improvements.
Rendering fix when disabling Ambient Occlusion Graphics option.
Skystriker weaponized wingsuit control adjustments.
Fixed improper “skip button” hint on a remapped keyboard.
Updated Audio files affecting certain languages.
Updated map to include some missing collectible icons.
Fix for the spotlight “projected shadow” flickering issue.
Fix for tutorials not showing sometimes on a new save.
Update to support different monitor refresh rates.

Rest assured we will continue to support Just Cause 4 with further updates and patches.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But I... I already... already beat it... :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's 35% off right now.

Of this latest patched fixed it enough, I may consider it

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

It's 35% off right now.

Of this latest patched fixed it enough, I may consider it

Fixed it for me, ran it for a few hours, and they appear to have done something with the graphics. I’m not loving the stunts being geared to a particular vehicle at the moment.

Before it was crashing before 10 minutes were up.

edit: I'm an idiot, the vehicles for the stunts are parked nearby.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 23, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://wccftech.com/tomb-raider-just-cause-4-weak-below-expectations/

Surprising no one, JC4 did not sell that well at all.

https://gamefragger.com/multiplatfo...nd-water-a14733

Looks like they're still having to update the game. Has anyone played it in the past month? How's it running? Is it any better?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Even if the game was good at launch, they did so little to promote it that I doubt sales would have been monumental.

I'm a giant fan of the series and even then I barely registered it. It was like a hex.

Hopefully it goes down to $15 soon. That's the only way I'll pay for it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Shinjobi posted:

https://wccftech.com/tomb-raider-just-cause-4-weak-below-expectations/

Surprising no one, JC4 did not sell that well at all.

https://gamefragger.com/multiplatfo...nd-water-a14733

Looks like they're still having to update the game. Has anyone played it in the past month? How's it running? Is it any better?

I been goofing around in it on and off over the last couple weeks after an initial game clear. They have updated a few things, water looks a little better but still can't hold a candle to the water in JC3. The powered wingsuit controls have changed a couple times, it now lets you pulse it for shorter intervals and doesn't burn an entire fuel bar when you do. But it still doesn't do some basic stuff the JC3 powered suit did, like hitting the air brake and thrust at the same time in JC3 lets you make hairpin turns, in JC4 it is just a barrel roll. The missile launcher for the JC4 suit is basically the only improvement, while a lot about moving around with the powered wingsuit is still a significant downgrade from the JC3 version. I never did have any trouble with stability, my system configuration is basically bullseye for the type of high end gaming machine (Skylake Refresh+++ & Pascal) they test on so that isn't surprising.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i still wish the avalanche a-team could have a go at a just cause 5 but this series is prolly dead after this

oh well at least we'll still always have jc2 to go back to

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jacques Kerner, senior software engineer, just posted a long article about Just Cause 4 weather development and implementation (or some of it) Its techy, but I personally appreciate these kind of articles over anything since they shine a light upon the real development process. And while I too am not too happy about how JC4 turned out to be overall, some systems are still pretty amazing and unique for an open world game.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JacquesKerner/20190222/337067/Aerodynamics_of_Just_Cause_4.php

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I hope we get mods that make the weather stuff more prevalent, they were pretty fun to mess with.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is now up on Xbox Gamepass or whatever it's called.

That means it's free for subscribers, right?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

This is now up on Xbox Gamepass or whatever it's called.

That means it's free for subscribers, right?

Yes

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1105501582446059520?s=19

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Did they ever fix the busted up graphics on this one?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Nope but they made a road map detailing how they're going to try and make the game not total poo poo.

But it's still going to be poo poo.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

After their last few patches I thought I give it another try, this is how it looks today. There are still lod issues with shadowmaps and objects popping in, but it's overall more smooth (can't record atm so just images).

Water quality is somewhat better, it's still a total mystery to me why they keep those normal maps though. I say this water shader has less trouble on the technical side, but more on the authoring side. They TAA is still worse as in other engines and has to fight a lot of additional effects which makes the picture still a bit flickery in comparison (like there are tons of blur effects and heat flimmering, also the voxel tech of the clouds gets mixed in that as well)

They finally added an option to get rid of the annoying button tutorial in the hud. I also think it became more stable, haven't encountered any crashes but I hadn't had many in the first place either.

It does look pretty good imo and blowing poo poo up is still the same fun as it's ever been in Just Cause.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

haldolium posted:

blowing poo poo up is still the same fun as it's ever been in Just Cause.

is it really though?

imo the problem wasn't just the lovely graphics and bugs but the changes to the gameplay -

specifically the fact that a lot of the poo poo you blow up in enemy bases just respawns immediately if you aren't meant to be tackling that specific base at that specific time, which does indeed suck a lot of the fun out of blowing poo poo up (as well as making the whole open world thing kind of pointless). did they fix that too? and the timer based nonsense?

edit: also after all this time they still coudn't manage to put waves in the water, even though they did that just fine in JC3 at launch? wtf

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 23, 2019

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Earwicker posted:

is it really though?

imo the problem wasn't just the lovely graphics and bugs but the changes to the gameplay -

specifically the fact that a lot of the poo poo you blow up in enemy bases just respawns immediately if you aren't meant to be tackling that specific base at that specific time, which does indeed suck a lot of the fun out of blowing poo poo up (as well as making the whole open world thing kind of pointless). did they fix that too? and the timer based nonsense?

edit: also after all this time they still coudn't manage to put waves in the water, even though they did that just fine in JC3 at launch? wtf

There are waves. The further you get from the coastline, the larger they get. The ship I picked was just too large.

The timer based nonsense was Just Cause 3. I don't really have a problem with explosive stuff respawning since it doesn't become less fun blowing it up a 2nd or 3rd time if I pass along a base where I've already been. It does however bore the poo poo out of me having a 30²km large world with absolutely nothing to do in because I cleared the map. Making it less completionist and more sandbox was a good descision imo.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

haldolium posted:

After their last few patches I thought I give it another try, this is how it looks today. There are still lod issues with shadowmaps and objects popping in, but it's overall more smooth (can't record atm so just images).

Water quality is somewhat better, it's still a total mystery to me why they keep those normal maps though. I say this water shader has less trouble on the technical side, but more on the authoring side. They TAA is still worse as in other engines and has to fight a lot of additional effects which makes the picture still a bit flickery in comparison (like there are tons of blur effects and heat flimmering, also the voxel tech of the clouds gets mixed in that as well)

They finally added an option to get rid of the annoying button tutorial in the hud. I also think it became more stable, haven't encountered any crashes but I hadn't had many in the first place either.

It does look pretty good imo and blowing poo poo up is still the same fun as it's ever been in Just Cause.

Thanks for the update. I bought this pre-release and still have not played it at all since I was waiting for poo poo to get fixed...looks like now is the time.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I've now finished the main story and have spent around 40h in the game. It was a pleasant and fun ride.

The weather system was sadly underused, I think a gun with mobile weather control would've been very great. Never the less, the system itself was pretty nice. I enjoyed all aspects but they mostley shined in their respective story missions. All those were honestly great, but that was true for most missions. I also enjoyed the side missions mostly, the game is extremely generous with health for NPCs you have to take care about. At one point some stupid guy I had to protect among 2 others decided to fight a tank with his assault rifle head to head while I had to deal with 2 tanks and 3 helicopters. I barely noticed until his health was down to 5% or so, and he still survived the rest of the fight just fine even taking a few more hits from gunfire.

The mayhem with physics in JC4 is just awesome and simply unmatched by any game. The amount of fun you can create through that, as well as constant action is pretty amazing. At one moment you're blowing up an insanely large explosive silo only to tether yourself to one part of it flying away in the sky, half way through you descide to get that helicopter shooting at you and the next second you're riding on a freaking jet because that one shot down your helicopter just a few blinks ago. I dislike the modern ubification of most games, having a way too large worlds with no loving interaction whatsoever, just cleaning icons and driving/walking/riding through a static world which just looks good. Just Cause 4 still makes it's world fun through explosions and even if stuff respawns, it's still satisfying. The physics are also amazingly solid in their reaction, how they work and what you can do. It seems minor, but having the ability to attach yourself to a physical engaged rigid body is pretty drat great and not the easiest thing to solve. Having a mechanic this reliable is an achievement for itself.

The new thether system is nice but simply not agile enough to quickly adopt in chaotic situations so you probably end up with a "one fits all" solution that is fun stuff with float and tether, but mostly just C4 replacement since both the baloon and the rockets can explode whenever you want.
Another thing I like to highlight is both the sound design as well as the music. I really like that they put in radio stations with good track choices. I enjoyed the regular soundtrack too, especially that calm music when you start to just float around with the wingsuit or chute. Those small details really add up towards a great atmosphere JC4 has.

The worst issues have been patched by now thankfully, I haven't had a single crash or other issue really since the last patch, pretty smooth experience. Some cutscenes are sadly still absolute terrible pre-renders that ware not even worthy of games 10 years ago and also kill the mood because the realtime scene looks totally different more often then not. Story is a lot less annoying as it was in JC3 to me since it didn't had that super serious tone. It was okay, good ending, expectable outcome etc. Default VG storyline #734305.

All in all it's not perfect but no Just Cause game ever has been (anyone even remembers JC1?) And it's very true to to the series core idea. It tries a few new things that work more or less well and when they do they're fun, and when not they're at least not in the way of the classic mayhem. Very much enjoyable game to me and a lot less bad as the negativity in the interweb implies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I thought most of the negativity stemmed from them rolling out another embarrassingly buggy product at launch, learning nothing from JC3's janky launch.