Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

jeeeeeeeeeesus

also that girl for president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Probably never again.

Eh. It's hard to imagine now, in this million year presidency, but people have relatively short memories, on a historical time scale.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Nah

Yeah no, Trumpism isn't non-interventionism. Trump intervenes on the side of authoritarians all the time, that's just a smear against the anti-war movement and this article is dumb and bad sorry.

Also lol at the implication that "the underlying belief that authoritarians around the world really aren't so bad" is some new thing unique to Trumpism and/or Jill Stein, and not the guiding philosophy of the neolib interventionist project for the last half-century.

It's both dumb and bad and also illustrative of a worthwhile point.

G&T is generally very strongly leftist and mostly writes stuff about why we need more marxism in America. His take on "leftist foreign policy" as pollyanish "war is bad" is nonsense BUT he is correct that it's nonsense a lot of people believe and that the left wing establishment (such as it is) does little to counter.

The underlying valid point is that left wingers need to do a better job of forcefully articulating non-interference as an ideal and a policy goal. It's not hard to do -- Prime Directive, "first do no harm," etc. -- but the left needs to actively seize that policy ground and make articles like this impossible to write.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

"What, all the Republican voters who don't like Trump are going to start voting for Democrats?"

I mean... yeah. Yes, they are. They already did - Democrats made fairly significant gains in white suburbs during the midterm elections. Democrats also significantly increased their margins among white women, particularly college educated. Theoretically those could have ALL been previously non-voters, but it's much more likely that the Republican party is losing its ability to compete for white women voters.

edit: this is also probably why any primary challenge to Trump will fail, so.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mother of God.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

Does anyone have that old garrison comic that was like, the 2016 presidential bench and it was like packed with Republicans and then on the dems there was only Biden? I honestly want to see how many names on the GOP bench are still viable contenders.

Ramirez, and lol:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You assume that a) the Republicans in the Senate are smart enough to see this, b) that they give a poo poo about "damage to the brand", because no evidence suggests that a majority of them do at this point, and c) that they will even think it's worth the short-term political fallout to hop on board the impeachment train.

I know "nothing matters" is cool, but Trump's remaining base is so insignificant that I don't see how you think it's this monolithic entity that has the power to primary anyone

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

CascadeBeta posted:

Does anyone have that old garrison comic that was like, the 2016 presidential bench and it was like packed with Republicans and then on the dems there was only Biden? I honestly want to see how many names on the GOP bench are still viable contenders.

That sounds like this Ramirez:

(Notice Trump in the peripheral)

The Garrison primary lineup:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Someone else do a better job of this than me, thanks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i dont get it

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I know "nothing matters" is cool, but Trump's remaining base is so insignificant that I don't see how you think it's this monolithic entity that has the power to primary anyone

It isn't "nothing matters" to assume that the GOP primary electorate could oust a handful of powerful Republican Senators.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

That sounds like this Ramirez:

(Notice Trump in the peripheral)

i laughed at "wondering woman"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tibalt posted:

"What, all the Republican voters who don't like Trump are going to start voting for Democrats?"

I mean... yeah. Yes, they are. They already did - Democrats made fairly significant gains in white suburbs during the midterm elections. Democrats also significantly increased their margins among white women, particularly college educated. Theoretically those could have ALL been previously non-voters, but it's much more likely that the Republican party is losing its ability to compete for white women voters.

edit: this is also probably why any primary challenge to Trump will fail, so.

Yeah but if we admit that how can we see them as scary others that can not be reasoned with and only killed?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

i dont get it

a stereotype of African Americans is they only drink kool aid.

This is the same thing as asking her where the friend chicken and watermelon is.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

do you have some new reporting that shows his approval within his own party anywhere below 90%, or are you just hoping as hard as you possibly can

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Quorum posted:

Eh. It's hard to imagine now, in this million year presidency, but people have relatively short memories, on a historical time scale.

Yeah but we're past the point of a unipolar world politics. America just played itself to accelerate the inevitable decline

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Tibalt posted:

I mean... yeah. Yes, they are. They already did - Democrats made fairly significant gains in white suburbs during the elections. Democrats also significantly increased their margins among white women, particularly college educated. Theoretically those could have ALL been previously non-voters, but it's much more likely that the Republican party is losing its ability to compete for white women voters.

i have extremely bad news for you, time traveler from 2009

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

This is the same thing as asking her where the friend chicken and watermelon is.

gotcha, i suspected that it was something along those lines, but im still not super familiar with all the various forms/phrases of racism in this country despite having lived in it for 16 years

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

lmao of all the things to praise Cruz for, "Kind eyes" that melt hearts, my god

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The underlying valid point is that left wingers need to do a better job of forcefully articulating non-interference as an ideal and a policy goal. It's not hard to do -- Prime Directive, "first do no harm," etc.

The Prime Directive probably isn't the best example, since there are at least a dozen Star Trek episodes along the lines of "here is why the Prime Directive is bad and needs to be broken".

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Mitch gets thrown out if he goes against Trump. He only won his last primary with 60% and even Republicans hate him.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

The mother was pretty contemptuous of his question too. She sounded like she wanted to call him out soooooo bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Who’s Surveillance Man?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Failed Imagineer posted:

Probably never again.

International politics and treaties depend on that being true. If Trump loses in 2020 then the other countries will be lining up to resume proper diplomacy on 1/21/21.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

do you have some new reporting that shows his approval within his own party anywhere below 90%, or are you just hoping as hard as you possibly can

I mean it's 86 on Gallup now, but I don't see how general approval is somehow an indicator that Trump is the hill they are going to die on in a primary

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

haveblue posted:

Who’s Surveillance Man?

Rubio. It is on his belt buckle.

It is a Garrison cartoon. There are labels everywhere lol

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah I had no idea about this either, which makes me wonder how much more racist poo poo I miss

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

I mean it's 86 on Gallup now, but I don't see how general approval is somehow an indicator that Trump is the hill they are going to die on in a primary

"just because they say they still support him is no reason to assume they still support him"

*kisses fingers*

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

"just because they say they still support him is no reason to assume they still support him"

*kisses fingers*

Hey dipshit, REPUBLICANS ARE ALWAYS GOING TO SUPPORT THE REPUBLICAN

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/swanofthedab/status/1075352287197839361

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Someone else do a better job of this than me, thanks.

That poo poo is three years old, and there's not a lot of good clips.

E: Nevermind, I found the original clip :v:

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 19, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

Yeah I had no idea about this either, which makes me wonder how much more racist poo poo I miss

A lot.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Fart Amplifier posted:

Google image search “Obamabucks” if you want a crash course on the subject. Oh and keep in mind that was passed around by elected Republicans and their staff who thought it was hilarious.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ague Proof posted:

Mitch gets thrown out if he goes against Trump. He only won his last primary with 60% and even Republicans hate him.

His challenger then was Matt Bevin, the current governor of the state. Bevin's stock hasn't exactly risen lately.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Hey dipshit, REPUBLICANS ARE ALWAYS GOING TO SUPPORT THE REPUBLICAN

the only republican president, in history, with higher approval among republicans than Trump, is George W. Bush immediately following 9/11.

you are praying to the Moderate Republican to save you. i have terrible news about his existence.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

The mother was pretty contemptuous of his question too. She sounded like she wanted to call him out soooooo bad.

She's a Fox News host too, so this is basically the life she's chosen.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Quorum posted:

This is at least partially because foreign policy is very hard. You saw it even in this very thread!

No matter what, basically anything you do in foreign policy as a hegemon will result in human suffering, and because you're a hegemon, even inaction is action. Having to take the position that x group of people suffering is necessary is easy for us to do on a dying comedy forum but it's no wonder left aligned politicians either avoid fopo like the plague, handwave it away with vague platitudes, or have actively bad foreign policy and get away with it because they have good domestic policy (looking at you, Tulsi). It's unfortunate, too, because it overlaps very poorly with the governmental structure of the US, where the presidency gets all the focus and yet has so much less power in domestic than foreign policy.

(Not to call you out here VH4Ever, sorry! It was just an easy example!)

No I get what you're saying but you, same as other Progressives, still don't have an easy answer for what's the way we should handle things? Clearly "guns a'blazin" hasn't worked out so well for the countries we choose to stream into. What works better? I'm not saying I know, I'm pointing out that we all need to be actively thinking about what the answer ought to be.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the only republican president, in history, with higher approval among republicans than Trump, is George W. Bush immediately following 9/11.

you are praying to the Moderate Republican to save you. i have terrible news about his existence.

More like the independents that just overwhelmingly showed they don't support this Republican but GASP it's THE BASE that holds all the power in the universe

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

More like the independents that just overwhelmingly showed they don't support this Republican but GASP it's THE BASE that holds all the power in the universe

Independent voters do not determine who wins Republican primaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Independent voters do not determine who wins Republican primaries.

sure but they matter in the general.