Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd imagine they just detect barking and emit high frequency sound to gently caress with dogs when it hears them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Lot of layers to this one
you son of a bitch

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That's a lot of free legwork from that attorney

Sounds like just a phone call to his cop friend who relayed the details. Most attorneys already have a list of referrals like the civil one for people who call in on a matter they don't handle.

Still pretty cool of him.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Wait there are anti bark devices?

[flexes arms]

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Best one in the thread imo.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zakharov posted:

Ghost dog?

I'm betting they gave the dog to a friend or something, and lied about it dying to the police to get LAOP in trouble. Or it died of something else and they know an autopsy would show that it wasn't poisoned. I'm not shocked there are no pictures or vet bills or anything for that dog. The sort of people who keep dogs outside 24/7 that bark all the time don't actually give a gently caress about their dogs.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
Gone Good Girl

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hellblazer187 posted:

One of my dogs can be a barker when she’s outside so we tried this thing that looks like a bird house and emits a high pitched tone that’s supposedly uncomfortable to dogs when it detects barking more than 5 seconds.

She didn’t like it so she barked at it

Now I just bring her in when she barks :shrug:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah. But from what I've gleened, many actually make the offensive-to-a-dog noise when any noise triggers it, so they can be torture devices for dogs that are already stressed out due to ignorant/lazy owners. Or the dog is just more neurotic than expected.

I wonder what a pyranees would think of one of those, since the all-night, territorial bark is actually bred into them. They are supposed to let all predators in the area know that their flock is guarded.

https://www.cuteness.com/blog/content/long-term-effects-of-bark-control-products

One of my dogs can be a barker when she’s outside so we tried this thing that looks like a bird house and emits a high pitched tone that’s supposedly uncomfortable to dogs when it detects barking more than 5 seconds.

She didn’t like it so she barked at it

Now I just bring her in when she barks :shrug:

LOL! Sounds like you got one that works how it's supposed to work and your dog was all,"you're not the boss of me! Come down and say that to my face, you loving chunk of plastic!"

Bored fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 19, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My dog barks when she feels like our home is being threatened (see: any time she is inside and hears a noise from outside) but my wife and I have recently discovered that leaning/pressing on her eases her anxiety, like a thundershirt thing, and calms her

Our entire dog is a do-not-bark button

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bored posted:

Yeah. But from what I've gleened, many actually make the offensive-to-a-dog noise when any noise triggers it, so they can be torture devices for dogs that are already stressed out due to ignorant/lazy owners.

https://www.cuteness.com/blog/content/long-term-effects-of-bark-control-products

Yeah, re my post above, our other dog (who’s not really a barker unless he wants to play) actually stopped wanting to go outside because the other dog was completely undeterred by it and he would just look at her like “shuuuuttttt uuuuppppppp” so I just threw it in the trash. We have like one close neighbor who also has dogs so it’s not like anybody cares if she barks anyway, but I was trying to be considerate.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Onion husband is cool as hell.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I would assume a device that emits sounds dogs dont like would just make a barky dog bark more.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I would assume a device that emits sounds dogs dont like would just make a barky dog bark more.

The only thing that would stop mine from barking would be the elimination of all squirrels and joggers. She’s working on the former (one down) but there’s not really much I can do about the latter.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MightyJoe36 posted:

As a person who has struggled with depression for years, I can tell you that there are days that just getting out of bed is as grueling as running a marathon. That said, the whole thing about being a Google enterpreneur and making millions doesn't really mesh with her personality. I'd be managing my expectations.

yeah, that's just basic executive dysfunction, ie: "Doing loving anything is hard because my brain is an rear end in a top hat." You gotta aim low when you have that poo poo to deal with. Hell yeah, I was at my appointment on time! I managed to do all my laundry and get it folded! I ate actual food instead of just some random poo poo out of the cupboard!

Her life's gonna be one massive disappointment after the other if she expects to become Steve Jobs or whatever.

DoctorTristan posted:

By ‘better friends’ you mean ‘friends who would tell this to your face’?

They may have already and he might have brushed it off. :( It's loving depressing to be friends with someone in an abusive relationship. I lost a friend (I only know them online) because she felt like she was just "bringing everyone down" when she complained about her terrible situation and we urged her to get out and offered help. Haven't heard from her in a year and she might have killed herself for all I know.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Whorelord posted:

Got sent an anonymous screenshot of all my (28m) best friends bagging out my wife (28f) in a group chat.

I’m pretty shaken up right now and could use some advice.

Last night, I got sent 10 screenshots from a Facebook user (they blocked me after sending, so can’t tell who did it) of five of my best mates going back to high school, bagging my wife of 6 years.

The screenshots consist of them calling her a kill joy, a wet blanket and pretty much they all think she’s a horrible person. There was also conversations about inviting me to a wedding of my buddies but how she won’t be invited because no one likes her. They are also complaining about when I hosted a UFC men’s night at my place, and how my wife came out and pulled the plug to the stereo and shut down the night because she was in a bad mood. They also spoke of another occasion where my wife banned a girlfriend of my buddies from coming to our house because my buddie’s girlfriend smokes cigarettes.

Admittedly my wife can be rude, she does what she wants with little consideration for others. If she’s in a bad mood, she will make sure everyone else is as well. I have always known that my friends don’t really have much time for her, but all these screenshots are pretty brutal. My wife doesn’t have time for my friends, the only people she does have time for a woman who act exactly like her and that have kids (we have a toddler, who is her number one priority. She sleeps in bed with our kid every night although that’s a rabbit hole I won’t go down).

They are even concerned for my wellbeing and mental health, they are discussing that I’ve changed drastically as a person (before I met her I was highly extroverted, now I’m a homebody because my wife doesn’t like me out drinking/partying). They are worried that I’m depressed because of my wife. This loving sucks man.

What really sucks about this all is that I feel like I’ve just been given a reality check. I have changed. I am now a passive husband, constantly walking on eggshells around my uptight wife. I am depressed. My best friends hate her. I still love this woman but gently caress, she is so stuck in her ways she is not capable of change, there is no compromise with her.

Where do I go from here?

TLDR; got sent screenshots about my wife from an annon person

the twist is the wife sent it because his friends are dick bags and she wants him to cut them out of his life and also because she was in a bad mood.

The only thing that would stop mine from barking would be the elimination of all squirrels and joggers. She’s working on the former (one down) but there’s not really much I can do about the latter.

have you tried shock collars on the vibration setting? its basically that muscle belt thing that idiots use. if you turn that on medium it feels the same on the vibration setting of a shock collar. You press it when they bark and they eventually get the picture to shut up.

snergle fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 19, 2018

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Not with that attitude there isn't.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh it gets the dog to stop barking by pissing it off. I imagined something that like, did an inverse bark at the same time and cancelled out the soundwave.

As you can see, I'm a very smart person.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CannonFodder posted:

Having a gallon of pre-mixed coolant / antifreeze is a good idea in case you just run low between checkups. Maybe your cooling system has a small leak or seepage while the oil system is fine.

TIL there is a new type of antifreeze that is far less toxic.

https://www.micksgarage.com/blog/everything-you-ever-needed-to-know-about-anti-freeze-and-coolant

Don't wanna get too AI, but if you're gonna buy your own emergency coolant, make sure it's compatible with your cooling system. This is less of a nightmare than it used to be, but some GM and German cars out there have very specific requirements, and mixing different coolants will clog your system. In a pinch, just top up your reservoir with distilled water.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

and from his mouth issued the anti-bark

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Midnight Voyager posted:

They may have already and he might have brushed it off. :( It's loving depressing to be friends with someone in an abusive relationship.
I have lost a couple friends through this. They get so beaten down by their abuser that no amount of "this is not normal and you should not accept it as such" will extricate the belief that it is, and the sitcom trope of "the wife who never lets anyone have any fun is not only normal but also correct" has really hosed up a lot of people's views on relationships.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Oh it gets the dog to stop barking by pissing it off. I imagined something that like, did an inverse bark at the same time and cancelled out the soundwave.

As you can see, I'm a very smart person.

Yeah. That is super dumb :rolleyes:*

I'm gonna make a gajillion bucks with my new sound canceling machine. You see, it reverses the sound wave to cancel the offending noise. My first market will be Japanese toilets, since silencing the farts is way better than playing music over them.

I'm also working on stank canceling technology which reverses the scent signature of the offending odor to cancel it out.

*I think it's hilarious, and while not feasible, also more creative than dumb. Just pretend I linked the sound neutralizer scene from "The 5000 fingers of Dr. T" here, since I can't seem to find it.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
This is actually what tinitus-therapy works like.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Bored posted:

I'm gonna make a gajillion bucks with my new sound canceling machine. You see, it reverses the sound wave to cancel the offending noise. My first market will be Japanese toilets, since silencing the farts is way better than playing music over them.

I'm also working on stank canceling technology which reverses the scent signature of the offending odor to cancel it out.

*I think it's hilarious, and while not feasible, also more creative than dumb. Just pretend I linked the sound neutralizer scene from "The 5000 fingers of Dr. T" here, since I can't seem to find it.

We had similar devices in the US Navy mounted to the electrical generators to make them quieter. I don't think they worked very well though

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Odd posted:

We had similar devices in the US Navy mounted to the electrical generators to make them quieter. I don't think they worked very well though

Turboprop airplanes these days use something similar.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
onion husband rules

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Yolomon Wayne posted:

This is actually what tinitus-therapy works like.

How does it work?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Khazar-khum posted:

How does it work?

what is... fucken magnets?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I first read this without the “in a group chat” and was expecting a very different tale

Yeah, I was honestly expecting a very different kind of "bagging his wife" though after reading the post and his further comments, I think a wife that gangbanged all of his friends almost would've been an improvement over his actual situation

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I 22m Reported my 28m coworker for stealing, I feel like I did the wrong thing.

quote:

I work at a battery store, at our store we have prorates on our batteries which means you can put money towards a new battery.

My coworker is price overriding batteries to compensate for the missing pro rate, and pocketing the extra money. I pulled the receipts from the transactions that showed the prorate being done separate as cash, and the override on the other. I told my store manager and also called our shrinkbuster line.

Him and I are closeish. But he is stealing from a company,store,and customers I care about. If he gets caught by someone higher up in loss prevention our whole store could be at risk for not catching him by looking through audits. Did I do the right thing? I feel awful because he has three kids and it's so close to Christmas.

Edit: he has the highest overrides in our district and LP is currently looking for whoever is stealing.

TL;DR My Coworker is stealing from the company and I feel wrong for reporting it

you did do the wrong thing

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ugh. :smithfrog:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Eat a loving dick, battery commissar.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Get a bigger dog.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bored posted:

It seems like a simpler solution would be to just play non-stop fart noises. Played from speakers mounted in multiple locations within the bathroom for the ultimate audio camouflage in discrete making GBS threads/fully immersive farting ASMR.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

They were going to notice his overrides and find out anyway so good job being a narc.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Bootlicking snitch!

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Him and I are closeish. But he is stealing from a company,store,and customers I care about.
This is super dumb but in all fairness after a lifetime of brainwashing it takes some real life experience to realize that human relationships are all that actually matter, and that neither country, nor company, nor store, nor customers give even one whiff of a gently caress about you.

Hopefully this can be the regretful experience that will lead this young moron to strive to do better in the rest of his life and not be such a bootlicking little toady of a man.

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 19, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MightyJoe36 posted:

I feel like that stupid love language stuff is like some weird flip side of the PUA nonsense.

I mean there's really wrong with the love languages intrinsically because we do all process things differently and I think reality bears that out to a degree. Think of people who express their love primarily through physical affection, or maybe a poet who expresses through words, or maybe even a middle-aged carpenter who maybe doesn't know how to express how he feels in words but tries to show it through fixing that creaky step you mentioned in passing once.

And it's important to understand both yourself and your partner because maybe you're both showing affection to each other in ways that you didn't think about and haven't picked up

BUT

That's where lovely people get lovely, right? Because they decide well my love language is making GBS threads in the sink and if you love me you need to accept that, when in reality it should be just as much about both people being aware of how to express love to their partner in a way that is going to make them feel appreciated. If you're having communication issues and want to fix them then it can be really helpful, but it's also a great excuse to be a fuckup if you're a self-centered gently caress.

:discourse:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:qq: the company,store,customers i care about :qq:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Just reported all you thieves to your companies enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, I was honestly expecting a very different kind of "bagging his wife" though after reading the post and his further comments, I think a wife that gangbanged all of his friends almost would've been an improvement over his actual situation

Yeah at least that’s forgivable