Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Soulex posted:

There are questions I have.

If Pence and Trump get removed, who is president? Pelosi?

Yes, unless they're removed before the new congress is sworn in.

President Ryan would be terrifying, but it would be funny to see him being absolutely tortured every day with having to put up with everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's real

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Trump
Pence
Pelosi
Plumpo
Munchkin
Mattis

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Trump
Pence
Pelosi
Plumpo
Munchkin
Mattis

Forgot Senate Pro Temp

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Torrannor posted:

I think there can be situations where you can understand soldiers acting very dumb and killing PoWs. If they are smart, then they keep their mouths shut, and maybe get away with it. And if they get caught, the military justice system will hopefully punish them. Perhaps the punishment isn't appropriate to the crime, but at least there is recrimination for breaking the laws of war.

But if you go to TV and admit that you executed a PoW, and if you then get away with it because your country is fine with it... that's the point where you lose any moral high ground.

Abu Graib and other such things made me look at the US military with fresh eyes. You guys are still much better than most of the other armed forces on this planet (I'm not talking about military power here), but I've held you in higher esteem. If that guy just doesn't get punished because his victim was a dirty muslim terrorist foreigner - it would be another let down for me. I've already read about cases where the US military let people get away with war crimes, but these were handled internally. But going on air with your crimes and the public declaring this okay, that would be something else. Basic human decency demands that war criminals get punished, especially when they are not shy about the fact that they committed these war crimes. Not punishing them would be a level of brazen contempt for every non-American that would be really hard to stomach.

There was a story in "On Killing" about a medic in WW2(I think) that was trying to save the life of some popular captain. Well the captain died and the medic picked up a rifle and wasted a couple POWs that were nearby. I think this story is really more being in the heat of the moment than premeditated like our green beret friend. I will say that after a close friend of mine died in an IED there was a short period of time(maybe a week or two) where all I wanted was revenge. I felt like I wanted to do some horrible poo poo but maybe the decent part of me would have stopped me. I really hold my platoon sergeant at the time in high esteem for keeping everyone in check. Even if he was an rear end in a top hat I see why he did the things he did.
It sucks I think I can understand why he did it. It doesn't make it right. The fact it was a green beret is especially disappointing.
I also vote his wife for dependa of the year.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nick Soapdish posted:

Forgot Senate Pro Temp

Orrin Hatch

...Orrin Hatch is still alive?!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

“Obamacare had all the bad stuff — the Affordable Care Act is different,” said Tom Miller, a health care expert at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, 

:d2a:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Today is one of those days where you really, really want to know just what the hell is going on in the background at the White House. Did Donnie just wake up and his cheddarbrain decided gently caress SYRIA WE OUT, or was it some deal (like the Patriot sale) with Turkey, or something else? It very clearly wasn't a part of discussed strategy, as the White House is referring poo poo to the DoD and the DoD is referring poo poo right back to the White House!

https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/status/1075503447078776847?s=19

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Not going to lie if this all ended with President Pelosi I’d have a hearty chuckle.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Haha what

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Geneva Conventions? I never went to that!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2018/12/19/obamacare-court-ruling-opposition-middle-class-1039811

They're getting dicked over by the insane assholes they packed onto the federal bench and it is wonderful millions will die

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

He's accurately explaining that their main objection to it was the "Obama" part, I guess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

He's accurately explaining that their main objection to it was the "Obama" part, I guess.

quote:

“Obamacare had all the bad stuff — the Affordable Care Act is different,” said Tom Miller, a health care expert at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, gently mocking the American public’s confusion about one law known by two names.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/19/obamacare-court-ruling-opposition-middle-class-1039811

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Not going to lie if this all ended with President Pelosi I’d have a hearty chuckle.

My father would have a conniption.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
pee tape is real

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1075513864366813184

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 19, 2018

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

its the piss tape, not "pee tape"

and it was always real

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Steezo posted:

The time to shoot him then, would have been when he was caught making or planting a bomb. Not after he's in custody, and certainly not on the uncorroborated word of a likely axe grinding local.

Thiiiiiis.

Also, jfc, were hanging out the Kurds to dry. Again.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Gonna have to buy pisspiggranddad a drink the next time I see him.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
what happened to him? i havent heard of him since twitter banned him for not being a nazi

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Federal Panel Of Judges Dismisses All 83 Ethics Complaints Against Brett Kavanaugh
https://www.npr.org/2018/12/18/6780...RwWQhL29u8OrLlI

Notably their reasoning isn't, "Nope he didn't do it. Totally squeaky clean". Instead:

quote:

The judges concluded that while the complaints "are serious," there is no existing authority that allows lower court judges to investigate or discipline Supreme Court justices.

So expect Donnie Dumbfuck to purposely misrepresent this when he vomits something out of his face-anus about it and all the MAGA CHUDs to swarm around to lap it up before regurgitating it everywhere.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What's our favorite Hank Scorpio wannabe up to?

https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1075243559991693314

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-elon-musk-tunnel-20181218-story.html

quote:

Billionaire Elon Musk envisions a world where commuting in Los Angeles is as easy as pointing a self-driving car toward an elevator platform embedded in a city street, sinking into a tunnel and zipping seamlessly beneath the traffic at speeds of up to 150 mph.

So far, his company’s progress toward this goal has been a bumpier ride.

On Tuesday night, in a parking lot next to SpaceX, Musk’s Boring Co. unveiled its first tunnel — a 1.14-mile route that runs 20 to 40 feet beneath the streets of Hawthorne, through a neighborhood sandwiched between the 105 Freeway and Hawthorne Municipal Airport.

Musk had promised modified “but fully autonomous” vehicles at the unveiling, but the reality was more modest: a Tesla Model X that reached a top speed of 53 mph, manually driven by an employee who previously drove in the Indianapolis 500.

The trip through the tunnel took about two minutes, illuminated by the car’s headlights and a strip of blue neon lights tacked to the ceiling. The Model X rolled on two molded concrete shelves along the wall, which were so uneven in places that it felt like riding on a dirt road.

The car emerged from the tunnel on an elevator erected inside a round shaft lined with corrugated metal. The shaft, named O’Leary Station in memory of a longtime SpaceX employee who died, is at the site of a shuttered cabinetry store on Prairie Avenue.

“We kind of ran out of time,” Musk said, attributing the rough ride to problems with a paving machine. “The bumpiness will not be there down the road. It will be as smooth as glass. This is just a prototype. That’s why it's just a little rough around the edges.”

Building the 1.14-mile tunnel took about 18 months and cost about $10 million, Musk said. The figure does not include the costs of research, development or equipment, the company said, and it is not clear whether it includes the money spent on property acquisition or labor.

Still, the $10 million is orders of magnitude lower than a typical subway project, Musk said. Part of Boring Co.’s goal, he said, is to create a tunneling process that will be 15 times faster than the “next best” option.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

cant wait till theres an accident and everyone inside dies of CO poisoning

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lmao there's so many comments in that thread about "How is Elon mitigating X Y or Z risk to passengers in his tunnels, how is Elon complying with this Federal regulation and I loving know the answer is a deafening "UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"

Just like in his gigafactory, what a loving loser.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1075526169280372736

lmao

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

orange juche posted:

Lmao there's so many comments in that thread about "How is Elon mitigating X Y or Z risk to passengers in his tunnels, how is Elon complying with this Federal regulation and I loving know the answer is a deafening "UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"

Congrats Elon? You reinvented a shittier, much less effective version of the subway that still promotes cars and sprawl. The only people this will benefit are rich people who can afford to pay the toll you charge to keep traffic at a useable level. I'll eat my hat if they magically develop cheaper/faster tunnel boring tech.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean you're talking about someone who is a hefty bag full of coleslaw being concerned about something. They won't do poo poo because the MAGA chuds have the republicans by the balls. Trump is bigly MAGA and anyone who gets in his way is part of the deep state.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1075528854402256896

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Graham always was a warmonger.

Gonna be the dumbest poo poo if "kill less people overseas" is the thing that actually gets Congress to meaningfully act to oppose Trump, regardless of how poorly thought through this is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

Saw this on the news this morning. It seems so loving impractical. His grand vision is for people who own Teslas and compatible electrical cars (TBD) to ride in some massive, insanely expensive underground tunnel network. Boy, that'll take multiple hundreds of cars off the road!

Like dude maybe invent a loving bus instead

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
e: already covered

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Get hosed dipshit, we've only lost a few guys over there and I guarantee they wouldn't want us to haphazardly withdraw before the fight is even over. Also LOL at the thought of Donnie having the balls to write a widow a letter after he got his dick smashed for being a jackass to one of the widows of the Niger attack.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm not going to be mad at Trump for withdrawing troops from Syria, I mean for Christ's sake. Even if he did make the decision on a phone call with Erdogan, the abuse of the 2001 AUMF has to stop somewhere.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BaconAndBullets posted:

I guarantee they wouldn't want us to haphazardly withdraw before the fight is even over.

I uh

I would not bet that anybody over there is interested in "finishing the fight" adjacent to our two other forever wars

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Fallom posted:

Saw this on the news this morning. It seems so loving impractical. His grand vision is for people who own Teslas and compatible electrical cars (TBD) to ride in some massive, insanely expensive underground tunnel network. Boy, that'll take multiple hundreds of cars off the road!

I think we figured this out already:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BaconAndBullets posted:

Get hosed dipshit, we've only lost a few guys over there and I guarantee they wouldn't want us to haphazardly withdraw before the fight is even over. Also LOL at the thought of Donnie having the balls to write a widow a letter after he got his dick smashed for being a jackass to one of the widows of the Niger attack.

I'm pretty sure unless you're one of those BORN TO KILL moto as poo poo dudes i'm pretty sure you would not have the same opinion if you were stuck in Syria. Pretty sure most of the dudes in the ME would love nothing more than to come home because holy hell what are we even doing now other than actively engaging in creating terrorist factories at this point.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fallom posted:

I uh

I would not bet that anybody over there is interested in "finishing the fight" adjacent to our two other forever wars

Yeah, it's a stupid argument that works for literally any military deployment whatsoever. "My buddy died of a pulmonary embolism while piloting a drone from a trailer in Nevada. If we stop remotely vaporizing civilians in countries we aren't at war with, his death will have been for nothing." Sometimes people die for dumb preventable reasons, life is unfair, deal with it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

What a chode. I bet he masterbates to liveleak war videos.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Fallom posted:

It's somehow even loving dumber than I even imagined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Bolow posted:

It's somehow even loving dumber than I even imagined

:lol:

How do they think literally building a single lane freeway in a loving tunnel at suburban sprawl density to every house is at all viable be it in terms of the logistics of construction or the outrageous construction costs. What the gently caress drugs are these people on? Getting mass amounts of people around in an urban area in a quick and efficient manner that is largely unencumbered by surface congestion? It's called a loving train you dipshits.