Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This thread made me realize that they should've gotten Ian McShane to voice Dutch in RDR2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Troy Queef posted:

yeah, the occasional references to fire marshalls and fire safety in Season 3 were because much of Deadwood burned down in 1879

Right, I just watched the episode where Charlie Utter is busting chops about the chimney needing iron between it and the wood.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

precision posted:

This thread made me realize that they should've gotten Ian McShane to voice Dutch in RDR2

Pretty sure Rockstar purposefully hires B-List'rs and unknown amateurs.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is this what it was all for, what all the pain and tears and misery of this reality have bought us?

Cool

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Mom why are these grandpa cowboys cursing so much?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*sigh* time for another rewatch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Groovelord Neato posted:

*sigh* time for another rewatch.

Yeah, same. It's been over 5 years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just watched it all a month ago and I want to watch it all over again. I still can't believe how good the show is. Nearly every line of dialogue is a masterpiece.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

I just watched it all a month ago and I want to watch it all over again. I still can't believe how good the show is. Nearly every line of dialogue is a masterpiece.

I can't imagine the pressure (and fun) they had in the writer's room for this new script... :sweatdrop:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Roman Reigns posted:

The Gem looks like it got a bit of an upgrade since we last saw it.
I wonder if it'll be a theater now like it was in real life.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Elephanthead posted:

Mom why are these grandpa cowboys cursing so much?

They should wait another 15 years after this movie to release a Grumpy Old Men style comedy movie featuring Bullock and Swearengen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They should wait another 15 years after this movie to release a Grumpy Old Men style comedy movie featuring Bullock and Swearengen.

"Bullock, this milk's got motherfucking chunks in it, ya fuckin' cocksucker!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also, that's a mighty fine dongle on his pocketwatch chain and ~of course~ Bullock buttons the bottom of his waistcoat. :laugh:

(it actually wouldn't become fashionable for another 10 years to leave it unbuttoned...)

Hopefully King William decides suits in general are stupid and we can stop wearing them entirely. I'm pretty sure that's how men's fashion works.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just watched Southern Comfort, a movie from 1981 recently added to Amazon Prime Video. It's about a group of 9 National Guardsmen on a routine war games exercise who get hopelessly lost in the swamps of Louisiana and are then hunted down by murderous Cajuns. Playing the two main characters: Powers Boothe and Keith Carradine. They're buddies! It's ridiculous and dark and weird and good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Getting hunted by cajuns is an old PI trick.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
God, Ian McShane is ageless. I watched the movie The Last of Sheila recently and baby McShane was in that, but that was 1973. McShane's basically looked the exact same since the late-'90s.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I just watched Southern Comfort, a movie from 1981 recently added to Amazon Prime Video. It's about a group of 9 National Guardsmen on a routine war games exercise who get hopelessly lost in the swamps of Louisiana and are then hunted down by murderous Cajuns. Playing the two main characters: Powers Boothe and Keith Carradine. They're buddies! It's ridiculous and dark and weird and good.

Southern Comfort is really underrated. A great Walter Hill film.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I can't imagine the pressure (and fun) they had in the writer's room for this new script... :sweatdrop:

I imagine it was probably just Milch by himself praying it would be good enough and make enough money to pay off his gambling debts

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Escobarbarian posted:

I imagine it was probably just Milch by himself praying it would be good enough and make enough money to pay off his gambling debts

It sucks that Luck kept killing a bunch of horses. I actually liked that show.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

LesterGroans posted:

It sucks that Luck kept killing a bunch of horses. I actually liked that show.

Same! I really liked the first season, but they apparently couldn't even film a scene at a diner without half a dozen horses snapping their legs.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

precision posted:

I actually remember thinking that the guy who voices Dutch really seemed to be channeling Powers Boothe in the performance

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Same! I really liked the first season, but they apparently couldn't even film a scene at a diner without half a dozen horses snapping their legs.

In all fairness, horses are idiots who will die at the slightest provocation

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

In all fairness, horses are idiots who will die at the slightest provocation

Only stupidass ones they breed for racing.

Some of our wild horses would mug you for a bag of carrots.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Show killed way less horses than actual horse racing. The fact it got shut down is loving hilarious.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Solice Kirsk posted:

Show killed way less horses than actual horse racing. The fact it got shut down is loving hilarious.

Yeah, the hosed up thing about horse racing is that it is so dangerous for the horses that even ~pretending~ to do is often fatal to the animals. The instinct to run in horses is overwhelming, the fastest ones barely pick up their hooves (which leads to stumbling/tripping), and they will literally kill themselves to stay with the pack.

Thirding Luck being good, except for its murderous production... :smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Yeah, the hosed up thing about horse racing is that it is so dangerous for the horses that even ~pretending~ to do is often fatal to the animals. The instinct to run in horses is overwhelming, the fastest ones barely pick up their hooves (which leads to stumbling/tripping), and they will literally kill themselves to stay with the pack.

Thirding Luck being good, except for its murderous production... :smith:

"She's bad about stumbling while pulling up. She doesn't pick her feet up very high. It's one reason she could run very fast and far. She had the perfect motion for being effective and efficient. However, those horses who do that have a tendency to want to stumble."

Jesus christ. If a horse tends to stumble, and stumbling can cause fatal injuries to their fragile legs, then don't run that loving horse. I don't want to be full PETA, but maybe if you are breeding an animal to the point that it is at great risk of fatal injury, don't do that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

"She's bad about stumbling while pulling up. She doesn't pick her feet up very high. It's one reason she could run very fast and far. She had the perfect motion for being effective and efficient. However, those horses who do that have a tendency to want to stumble."

Jesus christ. If a horse tends to stumble, and stumbling can cause fatal injuries to their fragile legs, then don't run that loving horse. I don't want to be full PETA, but maybe if you are breeding an animal to the point that it is at great risk of fatal injury, don't do that.

You literally just described the entire horse-racing industry...they only select the horses like that because they have the fastest gait.

Honestly, I'm surprised when shows like Deadwood have horses in them for how clumsy and dangerous they are...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's always a little weird to me how fragile most animals are compared to humans.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LesterGroans posted:

God, Ian McShane is ageless. I watched the movie The Last of Sheila recently and baby McShane was in that, but that was 1973. McShane's basically looked the exact same since the late-'90s.

He looked old as gently caress on American Gods, but I guess that could have been a stylistic choice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

You literally just described the entire horse-racing industry...they only select the horses like that because they have the fastest gait.

Honestly, I'm surprised when shows like Deadwood have horses in them for how clumsy and dangerous they are...

Yeah, I'm talking about the horse racing industry. Race horses are bred to have spindly little legs that let them run faster and also leaves them at massive risk of injury. Regular horses are still pretty fragile, but can handle being a bit clumsy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dog breeding is incredibly bad too.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I’m going to be honest: part of me still didn’t believe this was real until today...
:allears:

Same.

Also, that doesn't even look like Olyphant. When I first saw the headlines and the pics, I thought it was miscaptioned and that was some new character! I was wondering if Old Bullock would just look like Raylan but NOPE!

And is Al...in Denver? :ohdear: HISTORICAL SPOILERS!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Astroman posted:

And is Al...in Denver? :ohdear: HISTORICAL SPOILERS!

All of the characters are coming back to Deadwood to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Statehood!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wonder what story they'll make up for Dan and Al parting ways. I'm also super stoked to see what Johnny's been up to! Season 3 saw him coming into his own and actually using his wits.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
So hyped for this. Can’t believe it’s actually happening. Although I keep forgetting we’re only getting a movie not a series :(

If you like Johnny, check out his role in the excellent drama Rectify!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Bloodbath posted:

So hyped for this. Can’t believe it’s actually happening. Although I keep forgetting we’re only getting a movie not a series :(

If you like Johnny, check out his role in the excellent drama Rectify!

He is terrific on Rectify. His acting when his home is being searched while he pretends to laugh at cartoons on TV when he is actually terrified was probably the best scene of acting on that show.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
In my first watch through in... I don't know, 5-6 years. I forgot just how god drat angry Steve is all the time. That has to be the angriest man in the world.

Also, speaking of anger ... something I never quite grasped with the show. What exactly is it that has Cy so angry at the beginning of season 2? I gather the main gist of it is that he feels betrayed at Joanie wanting to leave and people organising things behind his back. Seems to bring up a pretty deep seeded hatred of women he has, the "maggots in her eyes" line comes to mind. But is there a particular story behind all this I missed? Sometimes the show's language loses me a bit on the finer details but with Cy so on edge in the early parts of the season I feel like I missed more to the story.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

thepokey posted:

In my first watch through in... I don't know, 5-6 years. I forgot just how god drat angry Steve is all the time. That has to be the angriest man in the world.

Also, speaking of anger ... something I never quite grasped with the show. What exactly is it that has Cy so angry at the beginning of season 2? I gather the main gist of it is that he feels betrayed at Joanie wanting to leave and people organising things behind his back. Seems to bring up a pretty deep seeded hatred of women he has, the "maggots in her eyes" line comes to mind. But is there a particular story behind all this I missed? Sometimes the show's language loses me a bit on the finer details but with Cy so on edge in the early parts of the season I feel like I missed more to the story.

He's an rear end in a top hat who isn't dealing well with not being able to lord it over everything around him. Cf. his behavior to his underlings when Hearst humbles him even more in S3.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Steve was such a reprehensible treasure. Spewing the vilest poo poo, but worded as beautifully as everything else in the show, delivered by an actor giving his all.

If you look up Deadwood clips on youtube, don't scroll down on clips with Steve, btw. Lots of unironic "Steve is essentially right."

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I really winced whenever he was on screen but his "not bad" face when the friend of the family General says he wants to gently caress his way to the Pacific Ocean was pretty goddamn lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

withak posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat who isn't dealing well with not being able to lord it over everything around him. Cf. his behavior to his underlings when Hearst humbles him even more in S3.

This. Cy continuously lost power and control throughout the show and was terrible at running any sort of long game or developing loyalty among people who had power over and he became absolutely vile as this was made clear.