Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao infinity wars

just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
That's an A+ page snipe.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

howe_sam posted:

I'd love to see a Spider-Girls ongoing. I enjoyed the dynamic between Mayday and Anime.

Gah, I thought it was an ongoing. :( How about the new Gwen comic? Was that also just for the duration of 'geddon?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

El Tortuga posted:

Somebody at Marvel needs to fired over the fact that Miguel's only appearance in Spider-Geddon was a multiple-character splash page in the last issue.

Also, for looking like it would be a culling of the spider-characters in Marvel, the only deaths I can think of are Noir and UK, and they happened at the very beginning. This whole story was a waste. Silk was one of the central characters of the last Spider-Verse, and I think she said, maybe, two things at most this time around.

It fixed Ben, is clearly undoing one of the worst received deaths from Spider-verse, had Miles getting to be the big hero, changed the status quo for all the web-jumpers, gave Otto character development and put him on speaking terms with the other 616 spiders, and had good moments for Takuya, Mayday, and a good number of other characters, while closing the book on the Inheritors in a much more final way at the same time.

Spider-Geddon did a lot of good things.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It really does feel like it was supposed to have at least one more issue in the main book, though. Either that, or Gage bit off more than he could chew and had to wrap things up quickly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao infinity wars

just lol

What the gently caress was even the point??

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Argue posted:

Gah, I thought it was an ongoing. :( How about the new Gwen comic? Was that also just for the duration of 'geddon?
That one's a new ongoing, she's back in 65 as of next issue.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmao infinity wars

just lol

Someone please spill, I jumped off and need to know if I avoided the train wreck.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
And infinty wars ends, as if millions of wet farts cried out and were suddenly silenced

I especially liked how they gave up any pretense of caring at the end and gamoras just of the hook and multiple characters are like "yeah there's gonna be another one of these events real soon lol"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jiro posted:

Someone please spill, I jumped off and need to know if I avoided the train wreck.

Warlock preempts a new struggle for possession of the Infinity Stones by giving them each sentience and the ability to make their own decisions. They all immediately fly away, including the Soul Stone, which leaves Warlock feeling strangely empty.

The process by which they managed to escape from Gamora's "warped" soul world ended with Loki's makeshift Infinity Watch sticking the Warps into their own pocket universe in the Soul Stone, but doing so required Drax to stay behind. He was also split in the process, into the crazy knife-wielding warrior version of himself and Arthur Douglas, the perfectly normal jazz musician that he was before Mentor turned him into a green-skinned Thanos-seeking missile.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Arthur Douglas, the perfectly normal jazz musician that he was before Mentor turned him into a green-skinned Thanos-seeking missile.

Perfectly normal jazz musician with the muscles to grab and hold open an interdimensional portal.

lmao at that bit.

"We can only make one portal!"

*drax and arthur fold the portal in half*

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

just learned something new about Ryan North

quote:

Ryan North is the New York Times-bestselling author of Romeo and/or Juliet and To Be or Not To Be. He's the creator of Dinosaur Comics and the Eisner Award-winning writer of Adventure Time, Jughead, and The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl for Marvel Comics, and he has a master's in computational linguistics from the University of Toronto. Ryan lives in Toronto with his wife, Jenn, and their dog, Noam Chompsky.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So hey did you guys know that young iceman is forced to go back and live his life in the closet again otherwise the universe will explode or some dumb poo poo

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Synthbuttrange posted:

so like whats the point of spidergeddon, get rid of the expanded spiderverse cast

that you have a huge movie for right now

is that the point

Marvel?

Spider-Geddon killed off Spider-UK and Spider-Man Noir in the opening act and then no one else in the entire story

it was bad and pointless

Argue posted:

Nope, Gwen's book is ongoing and I know things (tm) about where it's headed and it's gonna be bonkers and great. Issue #4 is gonna be kind of a Spider-Geddon epilogue/wrap-up and I'm really looking forward to it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also Magus is back for the next cosmic event.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like cosmic Marvel but it would be cool if there was more than like two bad guys. (Thanos and Magus.) (And yes I know E&C will now tell us how there was also Annihilus and Ultron and the Cancerverse and etc.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

site posted:

So hey did you guys know that young iceman is forced to go back and live his life in the closet again otherwise the universe will explode or some dumb poo poo

Is it going back in the closet if your memories of self discovery are completely wiped from your mind?

yes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

What's the other solution? Go back and edit every old appearance for future reprints/digital? Adult Bobby is out and it's good, we just have to be happy with that.

Edit: It could have been way worse, going back and "restoring" the timeline could have ungayed Adult Bobby and that would have been far worse.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 20, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can't tell if you're joking or not but i fear the worst

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not but i fear the worst

I'm just saying it could have been far worse, sending him back could have undone the character growth adult Bobby has gotten. But yeah, this wasn't a thing that needed to be called out or even mentioned, they could have just slotted him back in time without a problem. They've broken the timeline so many times that Bobby being gay wouldn't do any damage.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Also Magus is back for the next cosmic event.

For a second I thought you meant Warlock's dad.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

For a second I thought you meant Warlock's dad.
Magus is Warlock's evil twin. Magus is also Warlock's dad. I have never been sure if Warlock/Magus in New Mutants were named on Jim Shooter's logic that you need to reuse names after killing off characters (see also the introductions in the 1980s of unrelated-to-the-originals Captain Marvel, Spider-Woman, Nova, Titania, etc.) or because they're both just fancy words for wizard.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think the Technarks Magus and Warlock were explicitly named as reference to Adam Warlock and Magus but I'm not 100% sure on that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is it going back in the closet if your memories of self discovery are completely wiped from your mind?

yes

Not wiped, locked away until they get back to the moment the young x-men returned to their original spot in the timeline.

I "liked" how they just left Rachel stuck as a hound. "Oh well, she was too damaged, we couldn't do anything for her." :effort:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

howe_sam posted:

I "liked" how they just left Rachel stuck as a hound. "Oh well, she was too damaged, we couldn't do anything for her." :effort:

I half-suspect they took Rachel off the board for the upcoming Age of X-Man event, either because she would break it in some way (doubtful) or because they didn't have a place for her to slot in as a character (more likely).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the optimist in me wants to say that Rachel is still a hound because the first arc of the new X-Force book is gonna be about X-Force chasing down Ahab and she's gonna be involved in that but the pessimist in me wants to say it was because gently caress You, Rachel Gray which is a depressingly common sentiment in the Marvel universe

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

A had a big laugh at constantly replenishing youth market.

Like do you know anything about comics because they haven’t been for kids since the 90s.

Also modern Spider-Man does only deal with adult problems, they can’t avoid that unless they deage him. I think the issue is you can’t move on from the Spider-Man you remember as a kid,

He’s long gone and ain’t ever coming back.

Yeah dude, why do you think that happened? It happened for a lot of reasons but one reason was the poor decision to primarily target the increasingly more loyal adult readers and leave the more transient youth readers behind. That meant increasingly fewer kids getting into comics, which meant increasingly fewer adult readers down the line, which meant that the new target audience would increasingly shrink and become more and more destructive to the industry as that small, older, obsessive audience continually demanded changes to make the books even more adult and more inaccessible. The idea of this need for drastic progression in the universe and its characters is also what's responsible for the build-up of all this burdensome history and continuity which makes comics even more impenetrable to new readers, whereas in the past any given comic could be a new reader's first comic, because the dedication to the preservation of a core status quo despite the "illusion of change" meant that there was never too much meaningful history for a new reader to get caught up on before understanding what was going on. It's largely a self-fulfilling prophecy, and if there's really no getting back to the oh-so-crazy idea of superhero comics being for kids, then that's not something that just happened for reasons beyond anyone's control. Kids obviously love superheroes. They may not be reading as much today, and there may be more entertainment sources competing for their attention, and the direct market may have killed easy access and impulse buying, but I think the industry could at least try to find some ways to move more back in that direction, because otherwise it's doomed. It's just a matter of time. With the advent of digital comics and ubiquitous tablet readers, I think something approximating the old model--at least as far as easy access goes--is ripe for making a comeback, and so all that remains is to start targeting a younger audience again. (Maybe they've actually started doing this now, I don't really know, I've been out of superhero comics for a while.)

Also I started reading Spider-Man as a kid during the JMS era. The Raimi Spider-Man movies made me want to start reading comics, but the JMS ones weren't anything like the movies and had weird vampires gouging out eyeballs and Spider-Man going into a cocoon to become Wolverine and revealing his identity to the world and becoming a political pawn of Iron Man in some company-wide crossover event I didn't give a poo poo about, so I stopped reading them and started reading Silver Age collections instead. The problem is that there were probably a lot of kids who saw those movies and might have wanted to read more about Spider-Man but 1) didn't want to go through the effort of actually finding a comic somewhere like I did, and 2) if they did find them, being completely alienated by the dark, gritty, "adult" stories about a totally unrecognizable character just like I was.

Later I got hooked in by the Brand New Day relaunch and enjoyed the poo poo out of those back-to-basics stories until right about the time Dan Slott took over full-time and everything got lovely in a different way, which I think also coincided with the time I went off to college and started becoming interested in things other than superhero comics, and I haven't really kept up with comics consistently since. So I'm not really sure how I fit into your idea that I'm somehow immature or stuck in the past, but I think it's a reductive argument.

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I agree that "Spider-Man must grow up and the only way he can is by having a steady important job, a wife, and kids" is mostly the result of people being fixated on a societal construct of adulthood and success that is rapidly becoming out-of-date

The thing is that Spider-Man shouldn't grow up. Stan and Steve started out aging him in real time, but this was back when they couldn't have possibly had any idea that Spider-Man would still be around ten years later, let alone fifty. Once he got to college and Stan realized Spider-Man was going to be around a while, he put the brakes on the real-time aging and kept him in college, because the moment he stops being a student is the moment the concept becomes hard to maintain, as we've seen over the years with all the awkward attempts to figure out a fitting status quo for Peter post-graduation. The whole concept of Spider-Man is that he's the struggling hard-luck hero we can all relate to. That concept works just fine from the ages of about 15-22, but after that the whole "hard luck" thing becomes a bit hard to handle and people start demanding that Peter "grow up" and "stop being such a loser." Then we get storylines where Peter becomes the billionaire CEO of a multinational corporation with access to an arsenal of higly advanced technology and essentially becomes Iron Man, not Spider-Man.

You see none of this would be a problem if Spider-Man just stayed a relatively young guy at the stage in his life where it's okay to constantly make huge mistakes and false starts, and where a lack of career and personal success is natural and expected. That's the core character of Spider-Man. It's the character that we always return to in TV shows and movies and other adapations, because that's who he is and that's why people like him.

People need to stop treating popular superhero comics like they're limited indie series. They're not contained narratives with a beginning, middle, and end. They're serialized stories about characters who exist perpetually in the middle act of their lives. No one expects Charlie Brown to age realistically, so it's weird that they expect superheroes to. Do we really want to see Superman have kids, grow to be an old man, die of a heart attack, and then, I guess, give way to the adventures of Superman Jr.? What's the point? Superman is the last son of a dying alien planet, sent to Earth to serve as the invincible savior of humanity while maintaining the guise of a mild-mannered mortal. That's the legend that captured the imagination of multiple generations. "Dude who's the son of Superman, dude who's the grandson of Superman, dude who's the great-grandson of Superman, etc.", those are all inferior legends. The solution, as I think most people do grasp, is to just keep Superman as Superman so that future generations can enjoy the character as he was meant to be enjoyed, just as you enjoyed him when you were young. And you can continue to enjoy the character as well as long as you keep in mind that you now have to look at him through the eyes of your inner child, not the eyes of the adult that you now are. Superhero comics shouldn't have to grow up to serve your needs. They should stay the way they are to serve the needs of new young readers, and you should grow up and realize that you are no longer the target audience of superhero comics.

Basically, Spider-Man should always be on the verge of becoming the "man" in Spider-Man. He should never actually become that man, because then his story is over. He should never quite figure out how to prevent his responsiblities from negatively affecting his personal life, because then his story is over. He should never achieve financial security, because then his story is over. He should never be relieved of his burden of trying to take care of his Aunt May, the woman whose husband his terrible mistake took from her, because then his story is over. He should never get over his guilt for making that childish mistake and in so doing failing to be the man he should be, because then his story is over. The story of Spider-Man is the story of a boy struggling to become a man. This story plays out repeatedly in microcosm, but his successes always get subtly rolled back until he's back at the bottom of the hill again, so subtly that you probably won't notice it unless you've been reading the comic for more than a decade. That's the nature of the medium. It's not a defect. The only defect is in the way the medium has been improperly utilitized and targeted.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I want to read about Superman and his kids.

I want to read every superhero except they also have kids.

Edit - These kinds of "comic characters should remain constant and unchanging forever" posts are weird because I can't think of a single run of comics where that actually happens.

Even those old 60s Marvel comics have somewhat frequent developments in them. The most essential X-Men run ever frequently changes up the team, shifts chatacter loyalties, and changes Magneto into one of the greatest comic book characters ever.

Roth fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 20, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The whole point to marvel in the 60s was that characters undergo changes and growth. It’s what separated them from DC.

Those first few years were nearly in real time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

So what's your solution? Just move back to the Silver Age and have every story be a wacky one-and-done? Or move to the Gold Key model and just republish old comics up until about the 80s then start over?

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. The only solution for kids' comics is to come up with another imprint, a la Marvel Adventures... Which I would be all for. Please bring back Marvel Adventures. But unless you can do that, there's no point complaining that Spider-Man shouldn't grow up, because he's done that, no matter his marital status.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I get that by the somewhat silly rules of Marvel time travel and in the context of the deeply silly and not very interesting plot of Extermination it makes narrative sense for young Bobby to lose all of his memories. But it would make narrative sense for a kid who got bitten by a radioactive spider to either just die or have a really gross medical hand experience, and Bruce Wayne would just be a guy who uh, probably went to therapy for many years and eventually got his life together. Superhero comics are predicated on miraculous and unlikely things happening when least expected. It's ok to sacrifice total coherency for wonder and hope, especially when you're writing about a demographic, young queer teens, whose position in society is so predisposed towards hopelessness and anxiety.

Here, they could have done it like this-- pardon a startling foray into fan-fiction: The issue plays out just like it does, right up to the scene with the two Bobbys. He asks if he'll have to go back to the way he was, they have functionally the same heart to heart, and the answer is largely the same: we can't be sure, but probably. That's how this stuff works. And yet-- at the end when they're all hanging out drinking milk shakes, talking about their merged memories, adult Bobby has a wistful look on his face, kind of wry about the whole thing and the closed time loop. Everyone asks if he'll be ok and he says, yeah, he'll be fine. Finally, as a stinger, we see young Bobby back in the 60s, in a park or something, as a cute guy passes. He smiles and takes a breath and gets up. The end (and I get that this is cribbing from the famous issue near the end of Zot! but it was a good issue and in the nearly 30 years since it came out we should've have backslid this far in writing frankly and respectfully about sexuality).

Look, it's not like the fastidious maintaining of X-Men continuity is a sacrosant ideal at Marvel. X-Men continuity has been an enormous mess to accomodate far dumber decisions than the decision to give young queer readers a happy ending to latch onto. I'd be ok losing the reams and reams of classic Heterosexual Bobby Stories, like his thrilling half year vaguely dating Kitty Pryde, or the two or three legitimately cute Opal Tanaka issues of X-Factor before they added cyber-ninjas into her backstory. This even adds a tidy little narrative thread a future writer could pull if they so chose-- somebody cheated the time rules. For noble reasons, sure, but it's a hook.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 20, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. The only solution for kids' comics is to come up with another imprint, a la Marvel Adventures... Which I would be all for. Please bring back Marvel Adventures. But unless you can do that, there's no point complaining that Spider-Man shouldn't grow up, because he's done that, no matter his marital status.
They did! Kinda sorta! Marvel realized they’re so bad at publishing comics for actual children that they licensed a bunch of characters to IDW to publish Marvel kids’ comics. I think they started coming out?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

They did! Kinda sorta! Marvel realized they’re so bad at publishing comics for actual children that they licensed a bunch of characters to IDW to publish Marvel kids’ comics. I think they started coming out?

Yeah, I think the first Spidey issue dropped in the last week of November.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, "Bobby can't have been openly gay in the past" seems like a weird line to draw in a franchise that once declared its most famous storyline had actually happened to a clone simulacrum generated by an underwater ocean pod, and the character everyone thought was dead was actually in the ocean pod and she's alive, but she has all the memories of the evil clone and also the magic powers related to the evil clone and everyone still acts as if she died, but she's back, don't question it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

I think they're also licensing Star Wars characters to IDW for a "young readers" line, aren't they? I wonder what that says about Marvel. Do they not want their brand to be associated with kids' comics, or do they know that it's a bit of a dead letter to begin with so they're hiving it off with another company?

I wonder if there's a trend where kids will start off on the line targeted at them and then "graduate" to the "proper" versions. That's sort of what I did, because my first exposure to superhero comics were the ones that tied into the DCAU and the Spider-Man animated series, then I got into the tail end of Alan Davis's run on X-Men and (sigh) Howard Mackie's Spider-Man off the back of that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
But characters do age and change. Reed and Sue got married and had two kids. Rogue and Gambit are married. Spider-Man was married for 20 years, he's been unmarried for only half that time. Tony and Carol quit drinking. Superman is married and has a preteen kid (that I think they're aging into a teenager). Rogue and Gambit are married and I'm betting the only way that bell gets unrung is by killing one of them.

With Batman they've never reset the status quo on one of the Robins, Dick became Nightwing and stayed Nightwing.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 20, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
They better not gently caress up War of the Realms. So help me God, I'm too hyped from Jason Aaron's 5 year+ build up to be let down now.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Re: extermination—what about that story from a few years ago where the original X-Men returned to their time but found out they couldn’t go back because “the timeline” or whatever had already replaced them? Did that get retconned?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FoneBone posted:

Re: extermination—what about that story from a few years ago where the original X-Men returned to their time but found out they couldn’t go back because “the timeline” or whatever had already replaced them? Did that get retconned?

They were wrong and those were impostors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

yeah its weird they have the super hero adventures line which i think its marvel, and then the idw books too??

there was an ogn a few months ago that was basically a calvin and hobbes ripoff only it was franklin richards and herbie that was actually fairly decent

FoneBone posted:

jedi handwave you do not remember that