Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Bzzzzt!

Mustard is more revolting than ketchup.

:agreed:

condiment :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

roomforthetuna posted:

lol I was thinking "I wonder if Australia has decent potatoes", and apparently no, but it has people bitching about their absence and also mentioning cooking apples within the first four posts! Funny because today is the first time I even noticed that cooking apples weren't a thing in the US, just a few posts ago.

We have cooking apples, it's just that nobody really thinks about them that way anymore because everything prominent is edible out of hand. If you ask around you can find local cooking apples usually though!

xcheopis

Jaded Burnout posted:

I have eaten something close to this for over 20 years now. gently caress that sounds terrible to write out.

I will at some point find a better tomato sauce, I don't actually like the ketchup approach much anymore, but almost all shop-bought sauces are heavy on stuff I don't like, and my kitchen is a little deficient right now. I have a single induction hob and an oven, that's it.

Can you buy just tomato sauce and add what you like? I use tomato sauce (plus tomato paste, sometimes) as a base and it works out quite well.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Bluedeanie

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

me and the other true blue ketchup boys and girls rollin up on the yob

TOOT BOOT

Remember when Heinz briefly made ketchup in wacky colors like blue and purple

Farecoal

There he go
i'm glad everyone involved in making those are now dead or in prison. for once justice was served

City of Glompton

ketchup opinion: it's good

holiday food: i always make caramel corn. my mom used to go crazy making sugar cookies and fudge and divinity, rum balls and almond joy clones and peanut brittle, and one-time experiments like petit fours or some weird cookies that got extruded thru a mold. i don't have time for all that stuff but i do make a lot of caramel corn. fun fact: karo syrup comes in gallon bottles!

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Robot Made of Meat

My mom always used to make Russian Tea Cakes and "Star" cookies (mostly, Hershey's Kisses got substituted, and with good reason) around holiday time. Dill dip, almond chicken log, and many other tasty things were also served.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

sb hermit

roomforthetuna posted:

I got 12 jars of it at once from some kind of online store like 7 years ago, and still have half of them left. They're all overfull now because it's like "The Stuff" from the movie The Stuff, it has grown and escaped from the edges of the lids. Still tastes identical so I'm treating it as not-expired.

Dang, I am apprehensive about ordering food online, especially foodstuff...

I guess I’ll have to trawl the local ethnic grocery shops

sb hermit

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Between the sugar (a tablespoon of ketchup has more sugar in it than a chocolate-chip cookie), the salt, and the vinegar, ketchup will last forever without going 'bad' (worse).

I've had bottles that were easily 8 years old, and they were no worse than the day I bought them.

Good point... it is why I don’t feel a need to investigate... I also don’t need to find out what I’d do if it were 10 years expired or whatever

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

el dorito posted:

If you have a Sprouts or Fresh Thyme near you, you can get giant tubs of Marmite hella cheap.

Jaded Burnout

el dorito posted:

where do yobbers get their marmite? just the supermarket? or a specialty store like cost plus?

I mean I'm English so..

xcheopis posted:

Can you buy just tomato sauce and add what you like? I use tomato sauce (plus tomato paste, sometimes) as a base and it works out quite well.

Yeah probably, but when I can only have one thing on the heat at a time, needing to make a third thing in a pan is probably too much.

el dorito posted:

If you don't find something local I could probably export some for you.

Android Blues

Bluedeanie posted:

me and the other true blue ketchup boys and girls rollin up on the yob

i watched elvira: mistress of the dark again this weekend and it's still good. apparently it was meant to be a big franchise launch but their distributor collapsed literally on the day of the premiere, so it only played in a handful of theatres vs. the nationwide release it was slated for, so it failed to make back its budget (despite topping the box office in every cinema it aired at) and the franchise project was scuppered

which blows because elvira rules. at least she got to narrate the ketchup vampires!

Twenty Four

Jaded Burnout posted:

I mean I'm English so..

Yeah probably, but when I can only have one thing on the heat at a time, needing to make a third thing in a pan is probably too much.

Please export your entire house to be my next door neighbor, tia! I'm not as handy as you but at least I know some good contractors.

Also you can use my stove!

Really though I have to agree, any time you can pour ketchup in as a pasta sauce mix, you could just pour tomato base and a few spices in and get a better result, using your same one pot technique.

Then again I can't cook at all so take this with a grain of salt (in your pasta).

alnilam

JB here's what i would do sautee some onions and whatever other veggies you want in the sauce pot then pour tomato sauce in or crushed tomato and some desired salt and spices right into the same pot and heat it up meanwhile since you're english i assume you have an electric kettle preheat the water on that then remove the sauce from heat put a lid on it put the boiled water and pasta in a new pot on the single burner boil the pasta for the desired time strain it return the sauce to heat while it strains to heat it back up a little then combine and eat bing bang bong

ty manifisto

Jaded Burnout

Twenty Four posted:

Please export your entire house to be my next door neighbor, tia! I'm not as handy as you but at least I know some good contractors.

Also you can use my stove!

Oh what it would be not to be the youngest adult on my street by 15 years!

Twenty Four posted:

Really though I have to agree, any time you can pour ketchup in as a pasta sauce mix, you could just pour tomato base and a few spices in and get a better result, using your same one pot technique.

Upon further consideration you're probably right, I could mix in the sauce during the pasta seasoning. I currently ketchup the dish after plating, which I wouldn't want to do cold with more substantial sauce, nor would I want the plated meal sitting waiting for sauce to heat up, but I could shuffle things around.

Jaded Burnout

alnilam posted:

JB here's what i would do sautee some onions and whatever other veggies you want in the sauce pot then pour tomato sauce in or crushed tomato and some desired salt and spices right into the same pot and heat it up meanwhile since you're english i assume you have an electric kettle preheat the water on that then remove the sauce from heat put a lid on it put the boiled water and pasta in a new pot on the single burner boil the pasta for the desired time strain it return the sauce to heat while it strains to heat it back up a little then combine and eat bing bang bong

This is not a terrible process with just the few following issues:

gross

blech

alnilam posted:

meanwhile since you're english i assume you have an electric kettle

I do, for guests

alnilam posted:

preheat the water on that then remove the sauce from heat put a lid on it put the boiled water and pasta in a new pot on the single burner boil the pasta for the desired time strain it return the sauce to heat while it strains to heat it back up a little then combine and eat bing bang bong

You're missing where I have to fry the meatballs, though, while keeping everything else warm. Also I don't have another induction-compatible pot right now.

But heating something up in with the pasta post-drain should do the business!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
you can make meatballs ahead of time, they can be baked too. you can heat them back up in the sauce or oven. sauce can be frozen for a while too, so make a big batch

you can just sautee garlic for a simple marinara, and add some salt, pepper, and herbs while simmering. add some fresh herbs at the end, too

big wheeler tomato peeler:

-core and cut little x's in the bottom of tomatoes
-blanch in boiling water 10 seconds
-put in ice water bowl 10 seconds
-peel and squeeze out seed goo

then you can cut up or puree the tomato fruit, or just let it break down over a long simmer

alnilam

Jaded Burnout posted:

You're missing where I have to fry the meatballs, though, while keeping everything else warm. Also I don't have another induction-compatible pot right now.

But heating something up in with the pasta post-drain should do the business!

Then try what i said but meatballs instead of veggies, transfer the sauce to a big bowl or something and use to same pot to boil the pasta (is okay if the water gets saucy!) then heat sauce back up real quick while pasta strains

idk just a thought just tryna help ur food get better

ty manifisto

sb hermit

hamjobs posted:

If you have a Sprouts or Fresh Thyme near you, you can get giant tubs of Marmite hella cheap.

I guess this is all of the stars aligning to get me to set foot into a Sprouts. I hear that they have dry beans in bulk too, which is good, since my last go-to place for bulk dry provisions had closed down recently.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Thank you for the offer. There’s actually a local-ish british specific grocery store that I’ll probably try out first (after Sprouts).

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
happy last day of Autumn!

https://twitter.com/CutestHub/status/1075736887501803520

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Jaded Burnout

My friends I do appreciate the help do not worry, if I rebuff your non-sauce assistance it's because I've been iterating on this process for decades and the sauce is the only bit I've not changed. though I will have a go at some custom saucing in this style

Hugh Malone posted:

you can just sautee garlic for a simple marinara, and add some salt, pepper, and herbs while simmering. add some fresh herbs at the end, too

big wheeler tomato peeler:

-core and cut little x's in the bottom of tomatoes
-blanch in boiling water 10 seconds
-put in ice water bowl 10 seconds
-peel and squeeze out seed goo

then you can cut up or puree the tomato fruit, or just let it break down over a long simmer

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BoldFrankensteinMir

The new Awful App is great. For Christmas this year I got a dead dog on my screen. Happy internet was a mistake everyone!

Scaly Haylie

whatever interstitial music my local NPR station decided to use today involved a yoshi noise right before it cut off. deeply amused

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Safety PSA: if you are having a bad time in your head, please reach out to someone you trust and a licensed professional because I love and care about you all and I don't want you to go through bad times alone.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

hamjobs posted:

Safety PSA: if you are having a bad time in your head, please reach out to someone you trust and a licensed professional because I love and care about you all and I don't want you to go through bad times alone.

BoldFrankensteinMir

We love you too Jam Hobs.

It's Christmas cookies day! I'm finally on holiday break from my job, slept in late and set up the industrial mixer. Now chocolate linder cookies, ginger molasses cookies, sugar cookies with royal icing, rum balls and port cheese balls. Should make a nice gift plate for the neighbors! Happy holidays!!

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Hey we cant embed vines anymore? (i kno vines dead)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm knitting a tiny pope hat for Ham Child's cat.

Then I shall knit socks again.

birds

hi byob. used to post here. don't really now. but i got my girlfriend a juicer for xmas what do you all think?

thanks hogge wild!

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

birds posted:

hi byob. used to post here. don't really now. but i got my girlfriend a juicer for xmas what do you all think?

hi birds! wb

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

birds posted:

hello! Wb. wwhat is your fav thing to juice

alnilam

Happy winter solstice byob!

ty manifisto

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

alnilam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcPS-J0HTg

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

alnilam posted:

hail satan!

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Mr. Cool SolstICE

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Robot Made of Meat

alnilam posted:

hello! Wb. wwhat is your fav thing to juice

I think Birds means that she got a weightlifter who uses steroids. Interesting present, but not terribly useful unless you need something heavy moved.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

City of Glompton

Jolo posted:

Mr. Cool SolstICE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

birds posted:

I think that's wonderful!

Please post a trip report when you use the juicer.