Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
NOTHER SCORCHER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

WHAT DO THE NUMBERS MEAN, MASON?!

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Martout posted:

sub 23k today then?

that's how big a drop in just the last two weeks?

-2,500 points since the most recent high on Dec 3rd, -1337 (lol) within the last week. The drop from yesterday's pre-announcement rebound to close alone was -600 points (net -350 for the day). So yeah we could easily be well under 23k today. Bear Market is gonna go from prediction to conventional wisdom real fast.

The DJI was at about 18k when Trump was elected, and about 20k at his inauguration. Even with just a steady decline in values, at this rate we'll be at Pre-Trump territory by the time of the next State of the Union. President Softskull is probably going to throw a shitfit.

:getin:

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
:yeshaha:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think today is the apocalypse day. I have no evidence or reasoning, I just like to guess at things.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1075538539696148481?s=20

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HUD Dwyer

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Wanna bet your dick on it, Zhao?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
crash you fuckers

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

ShriekingMarxist posted:

I have no evidence or reasoning, I just like to guess at things.

Literally the entire thread and every player in the market.

I will never stop thinking about how a cat manged to pick stocks better than every billionaire investor or hedge fund manager.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Cinnamon Bear posted:

crash you fuckers

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Pinback posted:

Literally the entire thread and every player in the market.

I will never stop thinking about how a cat manged to pick stocks better than every billionaire investor or hedge fund manager.

huh?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Re: vc money, there's a lot of bullshit investments but at least vcs don't have all the loving billions just sitting in a bank account

If every billionaire invested as much as vc funds we'd all have much better salaries

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Having animals pick stocks like that soccer octopus or Rome's sacred chickens. It's been done a couple times and consistently performs on par with professional fund managers or better. Because they are also guessing at random.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickallen/2013/01/15/cat-beats-professionals-at-stock-picking/#66229d20621a

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is a call for help, somebody please get this man on suicide watch

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Number go up today most likely

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Futures have been bouncing between barely up and barely down. I think number go sideways today

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

what is this "blood" you speak of

Perhaps you know it by it's Japanese name "Anime".

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Number went down a decent amount in overnight hours. But then it came back up. Now it's set to open slightly down.

Also the spread between 2yr and 10yr treasuries is now less than 10 basis points :eyepop: inverted yield curve when?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Number went down a decent amount in overnight hours. But then it came back up. Now it's set to open slightly down.

Also the spread between 2yr and 10yr treasuries is now less than 10 basis points :eyepop: inverted yield curve when?

wasn't it (just barely) inverted a couple weeks ago

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Lol yep we're seeing sub 23k today

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ArmZ posted:

The 5/7 inverted, not the 2/10

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
galaxy brain alert:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robisbitts2/2018/12/20/the-dow-is-down-this-year-or-is-it/#668bde973efb

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

ArmZ posted:

The 5yr year part of the curve was/still is very slightly inverted. Now the 2 to 3yr is.

But the 2 to 10 year treasuries being inverted is what people focus on, because that is like the entire curve outside of 30yr treasuries.

An inverted yield curve has lead to a recession every time it happened. But it doesn't happen automatically. Takes some time for the curve to go from slightly flat to very inverted before the economy starts making GBS threads itself.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
S&P already down 20 :bisonyes:

Given how volatile the after hour markets were though don't be surprised to see it bounce all over the place.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gonna drop below 23k :unsmigghh:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
number!!! 😢

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

Number go up today most likely

lol good job

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

gonna drop below 23k :unsmigghh:

:patriot:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I love being wrong. I said 23k Friday

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

S&P already down 20 :bisonyes:

Given how volatile the after hour markets were though don't be surprised to see it bounce all over the place.

20 isn't even that much.

Do they need money? I can venmo them 20

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

23090. I'm so close hnnngggg

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

[quote="Bananasaurus Rex" post="490877697"]
The 5yr year part of the curve was/still is very slightly inverted. Now the 2 to 3yr is.

But the 2 to 10 year treasuries being inverted is what people focus on, because that is like the entire curve outside of 30yr treasuries.

An inverted yield curve has lead to a recession every time it happened. But it doesn't happen automatically. Takes some time for the curve to go from slightly flat to very inverted before the economy starts making GBS threads itself.

:tipshat:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://youtu.be/brvLpircQe4

Give me those numbers.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

40 point range on SP500 futures overnight, which is pretty big for not being in one direction

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Remember like 2 weeks ago when everyone was saying the economy was owning hard and it was only up from here

Lmao, how quickly things change when it turns out people have limits on their credit cards

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

HUD Dwyer

Lmao

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the divine financial wisdom like 2 months ago was that this was the strongest world economy we had ever seen lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

watching the dow swing up and down every day is like the election night needle but all the time