Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

selec posted:

“I’ll quit next week I gotta deal with some poo poo right now” is something everyone who loves an addict has heard a hundred times. And it’s always been and always will be a lie.

Quitting is quitting and you don’t do it half-way. If you smoke cigs and you’re in recovery for alcoholism, you can’t just pop into a bar to buy a pack like nothing bad will happen.

I can't quit because the evil nation states of china and russia would start smoking all the crack I am not smoking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Critical posted:

Two years in and the fact that our president is an absolute pants-on-head imbecile still continues to astound me.

even if i lived to be a thousand i'd never be able to fully grasp it. i've posted about it before but sometimes i'll be doing the dishes or something and it'll hit me that yeah donald trump, long-time laughingstock and reality tv moron, was elected president of the united states.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

selec posted:

“I’ll quit next week I gotta deal with some poo poo right now” is something everyone who loves an addict has heard a hundred times. And it’s always been and always will be a lie.

Quitting is quitting and you don’t do it half-way. If you smoke cigs and you’re in recovery for alcoholism, you can’t just pop into a bar to buy a pack like nothing bad will happen.

Weirdly enough as someone who has dealt with addiction issues, understanding the underlying issue behind the addiction and treating that helped me way more than cold turkey quitting (god that’s an awful pun). Resolving and working on that gives me the strength to have a semi normal relationship with food - not abruptly saying “I DECLARE NOT EATING DISORDER”.

However, international geopolitics does not lend itself well with a crack metaphor.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Or maybe it's people going "well we already bombed them to poo poo, we should probably try and help them rebuild for once in our lives"

Do you honestly believe that's John Bolton's goal in Syria.

Let's let Dylan Roof out too, now that he's shot up a black church, surely he will help them all rebuild right!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 20, 2018

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1075757714318405633

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gnumonic posted:

I sincerely hope that none of you ever has to be in a situation like the Kurds are now, but I think that if y'all were, you'd very quickly reconsider your "genocide is bad but trying to stop it is even worse! and we don't want to stop it for the right reasons so why bother!" view. That's a very... privileged... view to take of the situation.
Why don't you join up then

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593895655/dozens-of-westerners-join-kurds-to-fight-isis-in-syria

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DynamicSloth posted:

https://twitter.com/mirandacgreen/status/1075495787050741772

It's too early in the day to start screaming at my monitor.

i feel like im missing something because i don't really get what subpoena power has to do with this committee - i don't get why they want it, i don't get why anyone would want to avoid them having it. is there some writeup of what this dispute is really about somewhere?

the bigger issue seems to be buried in that article - that technically the committee can't advance any legislation to the house floor, and that i get why it's a big deal. that seems like a much bigger deal and i'm surprised its subpoenas and not that that's getting the headlines.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 20, 2018

Freedonkeys
Jan 7, 2010
I really hope Russia's military comes to America and stops our genocide of the Native Americans.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

evilweasel posted:

i feel like im missing something because i don't really get what subpoena power has to do with this committee - i don't get why they want it, i don't get why anyone would want to avoid them having it. is there some writeup of what this dispute is really about somewhere?

the bigger issue seems to be buried in that article - that technically the committee can't advance any legislation to the house floor, and that i get why it's a big deal

Do you think that, without subpoena power, anyone from - let's say - ExxonMobil will show up? Or not lie their rear end off?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Harik posted:

The whole "wah wah wah stop supporting the foreverwar" is the dumbest possible take since what we're actually going to do by pulling out is start another one. This is 100% handing turkey a permission slip to start a war and annex some borderland and massacre them some kurds.

The US is absolutely responsible for the upcoming genocide by turkey, we're funding it and supplying it and spoiler alert we'll be giving logistical support to a NATO ally.

This poo poo was finally starting to settle down but the lines weren't in the places we want so open up the bloodgates and let's move them!

Didn't he get trump to agree with it because wormbrain ignored or forgot everyone explaining to him what it meant?

If Turkey starts mass murdering Kurds using US weaponry then the US will stop selling them weapons. If Turkey then turns to Russia for weapons the US will remove the nuclear weapons they have installed in Turkey, which would then make Turkey overly dependent on Russia, something Erodogan would not accept.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

selec posted:

Right? All this warmonger poo poo is so obviously and completely Dunning-Kruger on a large scale. Liberals who have never once seen the US not gently caress up an “intervention” (bombing poo poo for reasons) and make things worse are somehow claiming it’ll work this time.

I cannot imagine how hosed in the brain your have to be to want to keep dumping humans and resources into the region, but here we are.

And leftists have never seen a genocide they won't cheer on because it advances their ideological goals. Who cares about human suffering when we can show our moral superiority?

See I can make straw men too!

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

evilweasel posted:

the bigger issue seems to be buried in that article - that technically the committee can't advance any legislation to the house floor, and that i get why it's a big deal

I wouldn't mind them being able to drag oil and coal lobbyists across the coals on live television tbh. And yes, the issue of them not being able to advance legislation is a huge problem and needs to be addressed asap. I recommend Y'all loving flood Pelosi's phone lines and email inboxes as well as anyone rep who will listen. Hell, even if they won't listen do it anyways. Climate Change is too loving important to sit on the sidelines.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

qkkl posted:

If Turkey starts mass murdering Kurds using US weaponry then the US will stop selling them weapons.

LMAO. Do you seriously believe the Trump administration cares if Erdogan puts most Kurds into camps?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Russia and the Turks want him to pull out and there’s nothing Trump loves to do more than to defer to dictatorial strongmen. That’s the reason.

there's literally no actual proof of this other than it's what their general agenda is, but Trump has been trying to do this since he got elected

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

qkkl posted:

If Turkey starts mass murdering Kurds using US weaponry then the US will continue selling them weapons and praise them for being job creators for bomb-making factories.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

we've given hundreds of millions of dollars worth of free fuel so the saudis could create the largest humanitarian crisis on the planet.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Junior G-man posted:

Do you think that, without subpoena power, anyone from - let's say - ExxonMobil will show up? Or not lie their rear end off?

How much of the committee plan involves hostile witnesses though, instead of experts and other people who want to say "yeah hell yes this is a good idea"? I get what you use subpoenas for, I'm just not sure I see how it fits into the notion of this green new deal select committee, but because I haven't been following it too closely I'm wondering if someone has a good link or something on it.

Also, a subpoena isn't needed for the lying part - you show up to congress voluntarily and lie, that's just as illegal as if you were subpoenaed. In practice you probably won't get prosecuted as much but that's more a selection bias (if you get subpoenaed, you're a hostile witness facing a majority party that can and will do something about it, if you're there voluntarily you're usually an ally of the majority party who isn't gonna make an issue of it if they can avoid it).

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1075765222198018048

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Critical posted:

Two years in and the fact that our president is an absolute pants-on-head imbecile still continues to astound me.

It’s weird that two years in, I’m still not used to his stupid loving face. Like you would have thought by now sheer volume of exposure would have lessened my reaction to it, but nope. Every time I see it my mind is like “deep fried bulldog with butthole lips.”

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

qkkl posted:

If Turkey starts mass murdering Kurds using US weaponry then the US will stop selling them weapons. If Turkey then turns to Russia for weapons the US will remove the nuclear weapons they have installed in Turkey, which would then make Turkey overly dependent on Russia, something Erodogan would not accept.

uh not as long as president Deals! is president

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Last night I asked a couple of warmongers a few questions and they immediately stopped talking to me, maybe because it was late and they went to bed, maybe because they can't think past the vague platitudes that the war industry propagandizes us with and their support has more to do with making a public showing of being anti-genocide rather than actually helping anyone in the real world. Hard to say?

Any of this morning's warmongers want to take a crack at it?

What makes you think enabling the neocons who destroyed the region and are arming the Kurds' enemies as we speak will end up with any positive outcome for the Kurds in the first place?

Even assuming John Bolton's heart grew three sizes this day, and Lindsay Graham the guy who was fine funding the Yemeni genocide until the Saudis snubbed America has magically changed into an anti-genocide humanitarian: what does victory look like. How do we stabilize the region, how long does it take, how many Turks or others do we have to kill, when do we go home so our presence doesn't inspire more 9/11's against us?

If you can't answer those questions, why are you so sure that this time another war in the Middle East is a great idea unlike every other time?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bad Poster VitalSigns Has Logged In

Pretty much what we expected, although I wonder about what they thought the optics would be. This was going to get out eventually, why the smokescreen?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The simple equation to be is if there's going to be war in the middle east either way I'd rather not be involved.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

we've given hundreds of millions of dollars worth of free fuel so the saudis could create the largest humanitarian crisis on the planet.

Right so we need to give them even more, so they can help the Yemenis rebuild gotta stay the course now!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The simple equation to be is if we're going to start a war in the middle east either way I'd rather we not be involved.

FTFY

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

God Trump has got to be one of the worst leaders in terms of how bad they are at international affairs

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

they've attacked the PPK a bunch of times already. "Senior defense officials" are bullshit.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

axeil posted:

And leftists have never seen a genocide they won't cheer on because it advances their ideological goals. Who cares about human suffering when we can show our moral superiority?

See I can make straw men too!

The difference is that you can't find me actual meaningful examples of leftists cheering on genocide, but I can find you examples, right in this thread, in the last 12 hours, of liberals who are cheering on military intervention despite never having seen a successful humanitarian intervention of the kind they imagine in their entire lives. It's something that doesn't even exist, IMHO. Yet somehow you are here, mouthing the same platitudes about humanitarian reasons that we gave for going into Korea, into Vietnam, into Grenada, and into the Middle East.

We have heard this song and dance before, and everybody's tired of it except you, and knows it's a scam except you. And we don't get it: how do you keep getting scammed like this and not see it? How do you keep getting told "No, no, it's because of [South Vietnamese democratic government/students in Grenada/Manuel Noriega is a cocaine dealer/Babies ripped from incubators/whatever the grift excuse is this time] and you're sitting acting like we're the crazy ones?

Do you not see that? How do you think you or anybody has the loving credibility, and where the gently caress do you grow your hyperdeveloped credulity? What makes you think, given the enormous pile of evidence of modern history that US interventions are not humanitarian and never have been and simply, constitutionally cannot be under the current state of the military-industrial complex, that you have it figured out?

Which is more likely, that this one time is going to be different, or that it's going to be the same as all the other times, in which we are a huge bumbling clumsy violent oaf of a nation making things worse?

What makes you think you or the people pleading for more bombs and more military action have any loving credibility whatsoever? You sound like a guy trying to sell me speakers in a Wal-Mart parking lot at this point.

selec fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 20, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yes I'm hearing from a sr defense official, it turns out our eternal wars are actually good and cool and if we ever stop any of them the world will end? Shocking news, can't wait to report this on Fox News.

(Jennifer Griffin is a loving fraud cool source)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Even assuming John Bolton's heart grew three sizes this day, and Lindsay Graham the guy who was fine funding the Yemeni genocide until the Saudis snubbed America has magically changed into an anti-genocide humanitarian: what does victory look like. How do we stabilize the region, how long does it take, how many Turks or others do we have to kill, when do we go home so our presence doesn't inspire more 9/11's against us?

If you can't answer those questions, why are you so sure that this time another war in the Middle East is a great idea unlike every other time?

as i understand it the general "ask" is that the troops remain in place essentially as peacekeepers to keep the kurds safe - the goal is not to have them shooting people but that whatever nonsense erdogan is spouting on phone calls to trump, no country is actually interested in getting into a shooting war with american troops. basically, as long as american forces are sitting next to kurdish troops it becomes a much dicier preposition to start a new shooting war.

victory in this case would be the various parties sitting down and negotiating a solution, largely without us involvement, while the us forces are sitting there so that people feel the need to negotiate instead of try to fight. the fighting is largely over - ISIS has lost its territorial control - but the concern is that turkey and assad are about to start a new round of fighting.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Bad Poster VitalSigns Has Logged In

Notice how the warmongers have no actual answers to direct questions like "what is your plan" or "how will this war turn out well", because thinking about that isn't the point. Just patting themselves on the back for being vaguely "anti-genocide", no thought given to the actual material results of their impulse to Do Something on the regions they will destroy if they get their way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

as i understand it the general "ask" is that the troops remain in place essentially as peacekeepers to keep the kurds safe

Oh, then they should be removed because they suck at their job. Turkey and others have already slaughtered towns' entire Kurdish populations and we just went 'aw beans that was v. rude of you sirs'. So, either we're gonna start shooting turks or it's time to stop pretending our military gives a poo poo about Kurds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the intervention against Milosevic was pretty successful but that's about the only one.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

as i understand it the general "ask" is that the troops remain in place essentially as peacekeepers to keep the kurds safe - the goal is not to have them shooting people but that whatever nonsense erdogan is spouting on phone calls to trump, no country is actually interested in getting into a shooting war with american troops. basically, as long as american forces are sitting next to kurdish troops it becomes a much dicier preposition to start a new shooting war.

victory in this case would be the various parties sitting down and negotiating a solution, largely without us involvement, while the us forces are sitting there so that people feel the need to negotiate instead of try to fight. the fighting is largely over - ISIS has lost its territorial control - but the concern is that turkey and assad are about to start a new round of fighting.

So a never-ending occupation, hope that a centuries-old ethnic conflict ends on its own because liberal interventionists huffed their own farts enough, and the resentment against US occupation doesn't cause another insurgency.

Welp it worked in Iraq!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Surely if we let just a few more genocides slip by our military command will understand the power of non interventionism! :rory:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the bombing in the kosovo intervention killed several hundred civilians including a lot of kosovars. a proper humanitarian intervention requires boots on the ground (to protect victimized groups) not bombing.

quote:

Almost half of the incidents (forty-three) resulted from attacks during daylight hours, when civilians could have been expected to be on the roads and bridges or in public buildings which may have been targeted. Overall, forty incidents occurred in April, forty-five occurred in May, four in June, and one in March. May 29 saw the most incidents (with five), followed by four on April 14, May 30, and May 31. The pace of the air war peaked at the end of May.

Human Rights Watch was able to determine the weapons involved in the cause of the civilian deaths in only twenty-eight of the ninety incidents. Of these, twenty-one are incidents about which it can be confirmed that precision-guided munitions (PGMs) were used (though there could be others). This includes all of the attacks on bridges or targets in and around the Belgrade area. Cluster bomb use can be positively determined in seven incidents (another five are possible but unconfirmed). In almost all of the other instances, it is impossible to establish the weapon used.

Other than a factual statistical analysis of attacks, insufficient evidence exists to determine the cause of civilian deaths. U.S. Deputy Defense Secretary John Hamre has provided the only analysis regarding the "30 instances of unintended damage" that the Pentagon seems to acknowledge. Of those, he says one third occurred when the target was hit but innocent civilians were killed at the same time. Of the remaining twenty, three were said to be caused by human error when the pilot identified the wrong target, and two were caused by technical malfunction. In the other fourteen instances, the Pentagon has not yet announced whether human error or mechanical failure was responsible.

https://www.hrw.org/reports/2000/nato/Natbm200.htm#P88_14845

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 20, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Oh, then they should be removed because they suck at their job. Turkey and others have already slaughtered towns' entire Kurdish populations and we just went 'aw beans that was v. rude of you sirs'. So, either we're gonna start shooting turks or it's time to stop pretending our military gives a poo poo about Kurds.

Yeah seriously, notice how the same people scream that Erdogan was massacred all these Kurdish villages but then also insist that the US presence is somehow deterring this.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Uh oh

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1075768008490901504

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Wow, that looks like the ward my son was in a few years ago at Children's.

There's a tradition where the first lady is supposed to read 'the night before christmas' at the same hospital. This will be an interesting compare/contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
*Troops with Turkish military emblems go from house to house murdering Kurds with hammers as US troops whistle and awkwardly look to the side*

"Well if we pull out that demon thug Erdogan will start abusing the Kurds..."