Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm still in the process of putting a "real" army together from Start Collecting and Forgebane but the plan is:

2x Dominus (Planning on magnetizing the weapons)

2x Rangers (5 man units, one with 2x Arquebii, one with an Arc Rifle+Caliver)
2x Vanguard (5 man, each with an Arc Rifle and Caliver)

1x Dunecrawler (Magnetized weapons + Heavy Stubber)

2x Armiger Warglaives (Magnetized shoulder weapons since they can't swap anything on the arms anyway)

Mars seems like it's still fine? I was going with Stygies VIII colors/planning on using that dogma.

If there's another eBay sale this year I'll definitely buy a Fist box, hell I'll probably buy one anyway.

For Infiltrators, math* says flechette/goad Infiltrators are the way to go, and honestly it just seems cooler than power swords anyway.

*1d4chan's math

As a new admech player, I can't overstate how much I enjoy the Kastelan robots. People don't like the design (but they're wrong) and they infuriate everyone that plays against them. Shields that inflict mortal wounds, great saves and a ridiculous amount of shots that ignore cover. I have 4 and they're my favourite unit.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Holy gently caress, they brought back chapter approved? And Vigilus is like those old story driven campaigns they did in the day, right?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yup.

CA's coming out yearly to do points changes and rules errata, too.

This year's has a beta for the new Sisters Codex for when they get new models next year.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I mostly finished my Knight. Some light weathering left to do, chipping on the legs and some light dust effects. That'll have to wait until after the holidays.

Someone requested pictures of the completed heraldry, so here you go. To those of you who had some suggestions about the Ultramar sigil, thank you. It ended up quite different from my original idea, and incorporates a bunch of ideas from other people.

This is "Duty Remains", piloted by lady Menandore of Calth.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

drat son

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Nice mech dude

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

I am cautiously excited about the Detachments in Vigilus since they might make my Primaris Crimson Fists better, both thematically and effectively on the table. My idea is to run two Battalions, one the Crimson Fist Liberator Strike Force, one as the Primaris Indomitus Strike Force. The CF Strike Force will have a big unit of Hellblasters, Repulsor, and other fire support units with an Ancient. This will allow casualties to fire, and then the rest of the unit to fire as well with the new strat. Should make my shooters a real pain to target. The Primaris strike force will have large units of Intercessors to make use of the Vet strat and the associated weapon strats. 3 units of scouts will help fill out the detachments and provide options for the heavy Bolter and missile launcher strats. This gives me 13 CP but 4ish will be spent pregame on strike forces and vet strats.

I don’t pretend this will be super competitive but it sounds fun!

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [39 PL, 661pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Crimson Fists

Gametype: Matched

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 118pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword, Storm of Fire, The Armour Indomitus, Warlord

Primaris Librarian [7 PL, 101pts]: Force sword

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 179pts]: 2x Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
. 9x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Power fist

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 174pts]: 2x Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Stalker Bolt Rifle
. 9x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 89pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [79 PL, 1339pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Crimson Fists

+ HQ +

Pedro Kantor [9 PL, 150pts]

Primaris Lieutenants [5 PL, 74pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [6 PL, 65pts]
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. 3x Scout w/Boltgun
. Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

Scout Squad [6 PL, 75pts]
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. 3x Scout w/Boltgun
. Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

Scout Squad [6 PL, 80pts]: 5x Camo cloak
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle
. 4x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 4x Sniper rifle

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 111pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Primaris Ancient [5 PL, 69pts]

Primaris Apothecary [4 PL, 68pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [16 PL, 330pts]: Plasma incinerator
. 9x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

+ Dedicated Transport +

Repulsor [16 PL, 317pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Icarus Rocket Pod, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, 2x Krakstorm Grenade Launcher, Las-talon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Twin lascannon

++ Total: [118 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Soldier o Fortune fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 20, 2018

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Lizard Combatant posted:

People don't like the design (but they're wrong)

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Clearly this is the best model to use for Castelan Robots.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Nah, that goofy guy on the left is more my jam.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Decorus posted:

I mostly finished my Knight. Some light weathering left to do, chipping on the legs and some light dust effects. That'll have to wait until after the holidays.

Someone requested pictures of the completed heraldry, so here you go. To those of you who had some suggestions about the Ultramar sigil, thank you. It ended up quite different from my original idea, and incorporates a bunch of ideas from other people.

Holy crap that's neat

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The only thing that I don't really like about the kastelans is the head but I've seen some great conversions so whatever, it's a cool enough robot

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The only thing that I don't really like about the kastelans is the head but I've seen some great conversions so whatever, it's a cool enough robot

I love it, but I also use fallout protectrons as servitors.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Ghost Hand posted:

heheh no I wasn't responding directly to anyone. I get it quite often. I should just ignore it by this point. :)

I'm not terribly worried about it anyway - This is me. This is my show. There's other options out there for folks if they don't like it. I hope the rest of the show outweighs that thing for you.

I love what Badcast is doing and those guys and I are friends. I love their sense of humor and they are fun to hang out with.

(Edit) for the record I just don't post here often anymore since I made an rear end of myself when my friend died and I as just a bit too sensitive. I apologized to those folks I responded to in that way, but was quite honestly just a bit embarrassed. Now I just kind of lurk often. I still find this thread highly entertaining.

You are a cool, good dude and I'm glad you're still around.

I was going to do some effortpost poo poo, but some random rear end in a top hat on a forum for assholes is not going to convince you you're not an rear end in a top hat.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ghost Hand posted:

I love what Badcast is doing and those guys and I are friends. I love their sense of humor and they are fun to hang out with.

Bah. I like the positivity, its the fan boi shilling that annoys me. :lol:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lizard Combatant posted:

As a new admech player, I can't overstate how much I enjoy the Kastelan robots. People don't like the design (but they're wrong) and they infuriate everyone that plays against them. Shields that inflict mortal wounds, great saves and a ridiculous amount of shots that ignore cover. I have 4 and they're my favourite unit.

Oh, I'm definitely going to get some, that list was just the stuff I literally have sitting in my apartment right now in various states of completion. I watched an AdMech v Blood Angels batrep on Tabletop Tactics and the mortal wound reflection proc'd twice during one unit's attack and the reaction from the BA player was fantastic.

Also I magnetized all of the Dunecrawler weapon options last night, it was actually far easier than i thought it was going to be, even accounting for the $5 pin vise I bought on Amazon being a huuuuuuge piece of poo poo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Did this for a lark, never going to complete it since Conquest is still unavailable outside of UK/US and I can't get the anniversary ones anyway.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I didn't know that was an option! I've been afraid to build a Dunecrawler that sucks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

moths posted:

I didn't know that was an option! I've been afraid to build a Dunecrawler that sucks.

It's not just an option, the way that GW put the actual weapon assembly together makes it super easy! I'll take photos when I get home, trying to type out how to do it is just word salad. The only fiddly bit was measuring the sprue length to mount a magnet that holds on the Icarus rocket assembly/endcap thing, but that's more down to my own impatience and even then it only took me two tries.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, I'm definitely going to get some, that list was just the stuff I literally have sitting in my apartment right now in various states of completion. I watched an AdMech v Blood Angels batrep on Tabletop Tactics and the mortal wound reflection proc'd twice during one unit's attack and the reaction from the BA player was fantastic.

Also I magnetized all of the Dunecrawler weapon options last night, it was actually far easier than i thought it was going to be, even accounting for the $5 pin vise I bought on Amazon being a huuuuuuge piece of poo poo.

Nice, I play against a blood angels player regularly and usually come out on top.

Infiltrators look cool (definitely choose the taser goad) but I've never been able to use them effectively.

Dragoons are rad (-2 to hit as stygies) but after painting a pair of them I never want to repeat that ordeal.

I think the biggest rort kit are the electro priests, GW want to charge Australia nearly double what they cost in the UK, and they look terrible.

Inspector_666 posted:

It's not just an option, the way that GW put the actual weapon assembly together makes it super easy! I'll take photos when I get home, trying to type out how to do it is just word salad. The only fiddly bit was measuring the sprue length to mount a magnet that holds on the Icarus rocket assembly/endcap thing, but that's more down to my own impatience and even then it only took me two tries.

Cool. I wish they'd just have included two more mounts so you could just sub out any gun without magnets at all.

I went for 2x neutron lasers and a icarus array (since you can make them hit ground targets on a 2 for 1cp)

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 20, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lizard Combatant posted:

Infiltrators look cool (definitely choose the taser goad) but I've never been able to use them effectively.

I figure having a unit that can effectively deep strike and immediately unload 25 shots into something (S3 AP0 D1 but still, 25 of em!) is handy as hell even if it's just a distraction for a turn.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Cool. I wish they'd just have included two more mounts so you could just sub out any gun without magnets at all.

I went for 2x neutron lasers and a icarus array (since you can make them hit ground targets on a 2 for 1cp)

Having more mounts would have been ideal for sure. And yeah, I figure since you generally want to run Dunecrawlers in pairs (at least) a neutron laser and icarus are no-brainers for the first two.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Inspector_666 posted:

I figure having a unit that can effectively deep strike and immediately unload 25 shots into something (S3 AP0 D1 but still, 25 of em!) is handy as hell even if it's just a distraction for a turn.

Having more mounts would have been ideal for sure. And yeah, I figure since you generally want to run Dunecrawlers in pairs (at least) a neutron laser and icarus are no-brainers for the first two.

Hah I made the mistake of making a squad of 10 (I got two boxes dirt cheap), counting out 50 dice isn't fun, at least my kastelans' shooting is in multiples of 18 and I have boxes of 36. I'm playing an ork army soon, so hopefully they'll get some use.

Keen to see your magnets, I want to try it on the next one.

You should have fun with those armigers, they're basically cheaper and better dreadnoughts.

e: sorry if this comes off as telling you about your own poo poo, I'm just getting a handle on it all myself and jazzed at how good this army is

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 20, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Actually something I've wondered, is there any reason why you can't repair a model that's engaged in close combat? Opponent was adamant you couldn't but I can't find anything to suggest that you can't.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

I'm having a hard time picturing the guns not shooting ketchup and mustard, while at the same time being overwhelming impressed.

Edit: holy poo poo are those hand painted shoulders?

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm having a hard time picturing the guns not shooting ketchup and mustard, while at the same time being overwhelming impressed.

Edit: holy poo poo are those hand painted shoulders?

I hope only other street food persons will make the condiment connection. :)

The heraldry is a combination of transfers and freehanding.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lizard Combatant posted:

e: sorry if this comes off as telling you about your own poo poo, I'm just getting a handle on it all myself and jazzed at how good this army is

Nah, it's cool. I haven't played a game of 40k since high school so I'm very keen to hear about stuff like this as I get everything together.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 20, 2018

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Decorus posted:

This is one of the coolest knights I’ve seen. You really nailed the heraldry.

drat dude. Great job.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Master Twig posted:

Clearly this is the best model to use for Castelan Robots.

I really like the idea of a full ratmech army in the same vein as the ork one from this thread.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Lizard Combatant posted:

Actually something I've wondered, is there any reason why you can't repair a model that's engaged in close combat? Opponent was adamant you couldn't but I can't find anything to suggest that you can't.

There's nothing on the Master of Machines rule to prevent this.

Fun fact: 8th edition doesn't even have a unit status of "in close combat". Instead you always see phrasing like "You may not pick a unit that is within 1" of an enemy unit". As that isn't on the AdMech repair rule, it's good to use any time.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 20, 2018

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
When I started my nids, I got some preassembled Flyrants that I've since painted. What's my best transport option now that I've already hosed up?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Decorus posted:

Yeah, this is amazing. You should be proud to display this model.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DiHK posted:

:rolleyes:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ghost Hand posted:

(Edit) for the record I just don't post here often anymore since I made an rear end of myself when my friend died and I as just a bit too sensitive. I apologized to those folks I responded to in that way, but was quite honestly just a bit embarrassed. Now I just kind of lurk often. I still find this thread highly entertaining.
I think everyone understood you were obviously and understandably gutted.

For what it's worth, we ran that one guy (I forget his name) who was being a prick about it out of the community.

DiHK posted:

There's nothing remotely characterisable as 'fan boi shilling' in the Badcast. Except when TSC starts on about his latest animes, which he does love. They regularly criticise GW and their products.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ghost Hand posted:

It was a reasonable and understandable response. You're a boon to the community and it's nice having you peek back in here.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Giant Isopod posted:

I really like the idea of a full ratmech army in the same vein as the ork one from this thread.

Check my post history. I've shown it a few times. Going to be running it at Midwest Conquest in Kansas City over memorial day.

I have rat space marines, but they're all the old small marines. I'm going to start running them as sisters of battle. They're T3 skaven in power armor. Sisters! I even have a celestine conversion I'm working on.

Mantic has these models that are similar to doom wheels that I may run as penitent engines.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Admech is so cool and I hope they get a GSC-style revival into a "full army" some time in the next couple years. I figured it'd be soon what with them featuring prominently in 2 big boxes this year but all the momentum seems to have left them. Along with Clandestine Infiltration. :smith:

Speaking of how are you folks managing your melee poo poo with them without the ability to get them into combat quickly? Just dropping them like I did? Running Lucius? Mandatory termite drills?

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Being able to repair damage is the probably the only fun thing about getting a lot of your stuff caught in melee.

A unit of dragoons seems like it would be fun in melee, unfortunately you actually have to be jeff bezos to afford that poo poo.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Master Twig posted:

Check my post history. I've shown it a few times. Going to be running it at Midwest Conquest in Kansas City over memorial day.

I have rat space marines, but they're all the old small marines. I'm going to start running them as sisters of battle. They're T3 skaven in power armor. Sisters! I even have a celestine conversion I'm working on.

Mantic has these models that are similar to doom wheels that I may run as penitent engines.

Ahhh, I thought I'd seen that already and then dismissed it as a fever dream. That army is rad.

I had some of the reaper mousling space marines that I had intended to use for kill team but never got around to.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Nah, it's cool. I haven't played a game of 40k since high school so I'm very keen to hear about stuff like this as I get everything together.

I'm new to 40k and new to ad mech, so I'm enjoying lurking this convo. I built my guys thinking mostly that I would run them as Metalica. The only reason being because the name is Metalica.

I have a second Onager to build (did not magentize my first one) and so would also really like to see your magnets before I do that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Deified Data posted:

Admech is so cool and I hope they get a GSC-style revival into a "full army" some time in the next couple years. I figured it'd be soon what with them featuring prominently in 2 big boxes this year but all the momentum seems to have left them. Along with Clandestine Infiltration. :smith:

Speaking of how are you folks managing your melee poo poo with them without the ability to get them into combat quickly? Just dropping them like I did? Running Lucius? Mandatory termite drills?

I feel like the only glaring omission from the AdMech list is transports. I guess having another Heavy tank-type unit besides the Dunecrawler could be nice but that's mainly an aesthetics thing since it's not like it's very hard to fit Knights onto a list for heavy weapons purposes.

As I posted previously my plan for melee focus is pretty much just infiltrators so we'll see how that goes.

Seldom Posts posted:

I have a second Onager to build (did not magentize my first one) and so would also really like to see your magnets before I do that one.

I did mine based off of a few guides/videos I found but I pretty much had to synthesize them to actually get the info needed (ie one said the magnet size but didn't show where to put them, others showed the placement but not the size, etc) so maybe I should write something up and see if the Goonhammer guy would want to put it up there for future use.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 20, 2018