Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
our only hope for the funny shutdown option is if the freedom caucus is actually able to scuttle the CR in the house, Trump will cave like always if he's the last check needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I am riding a plane by myself for the first time Christmas Eve night so I hope that they handle the infant, as even if it is open, I don't want to deal with unhappy TSA.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I hate Trump and I want to hate everything he does but like, pulling US troops out of various middle east forever wars is kind of a good thing, isn't it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

our only hope for the funny shutdown option is if the freedom caucus is actually able to scuttle the CR in the house, Trump will cave like always if he's the last check needed.

they can't, but they might be able to scuttle any veto override

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Hellblazer187 posted:

I hate Trump and I want to hate everything he does but like, pulling US troops out of various middle east forever wars is kind of a good thing, isn't it?

On principle, hell yes. In practice, still yes but extract yourself very very carefully and try not to leave your allies out in the cold to be slaughtered whilst leaving. You know, like the US has always done.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hellblazer187 posted:

In theory but the way he’s going to do it will just make everything worse.

Make no mistake. There is no plan. Trump announced this new military policy on Twitter and the Pentagon is scrambling around trying to figure out what to do. No one and nothing is prepared.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

yeah but you can be in favor of withdrawing all troops from syria and still want a plan a little more detailed and a little more consultation with allies than firing off a tweet ordering immediate withdrawal after a phone call with turkey

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hellblazer187 posted:

yes it's the one time where his sponge brain is actually useful

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

You'd think so, but it turns out loving around over there for 17 years without any resolution hasn't convinced some people.

Imagine loving something up for 17 years and still pleading for more time. Just imagine that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

A broken clock is right twice a day kind of thing. Pulling out of Syria may be the right thing to do but Trump is invariably doing it for the wrong reasons, such as handing control over to Russia entirely.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I picked a helluva weekend to book a flight.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Popete posted:

A broken clock is right twice a day kind of thing. Pulling out of Syria may be the right thing to do but Trump is invariably doing it for the wrong reasons, such as handing control over to Russia entirely.

at the end of the day either russia controls syria or we do, this half-and-half thing just means that a brutal civil war goes on indefinitely

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
Old tweet for every occasion:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/149132685707718657?s=19

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

selec posted:

Imagine loving something up for 17 years and still pleading for more time. Just imagine that.

But enough about my marriage

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

when have I denied Turkey is killing Kurds? That's, literally, my entire point. This whole handwringing about how we're just there to prevent terrible things and keep the peace is a smokescreen because we're watching ethnic cleansing happen already. We're not a peacekeeping force, is my point, we're an invading force.

I know this might be a bit hard, but when we say "the Kurds" we are generalizing. Kurdish militia groups are numerous and are distinct entities. The US has been working with the SDF, an umbrella group of mostly Kurds and some Syrian arabs. The Afrin Kurds were not in the SDF, though I think that was the eventual goal. The SDF taking Manbij a couple years ago was predominantly to link up SDF lands with the Afrin canton, which is what spurred Turkey-backed militias to invade Syria under the guise of "trying to relieve Aleppo," when in reality it was simply to prevent the SDF from linking all the cantons and increasing in size and organization. So when Turkey invaded Afrin, they did so because Afrin was not US-backed and we could not help them (since our cover was "to fight ISIS," and Afrin was not in a position to fight ISIS, being surrounded by Rebels and SAA. So, yes, Turkey has already genocided Kurds, and we didn't/couldn't stop it before. This one we can, and have been. Multiple times Erdogan has threatened to invade Manbij and we've told him that US forces would remain and dared him to attack US forces. They didn't. Now we have Trump pulling our forces out, which removes that deterrence and will allow Turkey to invade. Action leads to consequence. Debate whether or not it is worth it, not whether or not it would happen.

Also, get it through your thick whiney skull. The SDF invited/begged for us to come. We are not an invading force in Syria (the one place we aren't), we are guest forces helping to protect an ally. We are a support and logistics force that supplies special forces support and artillery and air support. The SDF leads all attacks against ISIS. Either know what you're talking about or shut up already.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The absolute moron is gonna loving do it, keep going, keep loving that chicken.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hellblazer187 posted:

Key thing to remember is that we are just pulling out all at once, while our allies in the region are still heavily relying on our support to not get killed to a man by Turkey.

Yknow, Turkey, the one we literally just signed a 2 billion dollar arms deal with.

We aren't pulling out because the region is stable enough for us to do so, we are leaving so we don't get hit with the weapons we just sold to the enemy. Yknow, like arms dealing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Honestly the situation in the US is probably closer to a military coup than it’s been since like the Civil War. It’s still ridiculously unlikely but relatively speaking it just seems less of a paranoid fever dream every day.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think people are being a bit too... overzealous with the usage of the word "genocide" when describing the Turkish-Kurdish conflict.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Nazzadan posted:

But enough about my marriage

I was really tempted to make a joke that pointed out that I manged to get married, then divorced, complete a BA, got married again, and go from being on foodstamps to owning a home and having a solid career just since 9/11, and yet we still can't as a nation get our loving heads straight enough to just get the gently caress over ourselves and do the needful and get the gently caress out.

edit:

Also released an album and several EPs, and am on my 2nd dog. Just since 9/11! It's been an amazing almost-the-entire-childhood-of-someone-who-will-go-on-to-die-as-member-of-our-military-in-the-Forever-War for me!

selec fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 20, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Trump's insane obsession with DEALS DEALS DEALS actually can help in some foriegn policy things. If he's genuinely willing to fight his own party he can probably spin 'actually we won the war is over goodbye' into a message his base will accept for Afghanistan/Iraq too (though he'll wait for 2020 for that, Syria is testing things out).

But like we saw with North Korea, his dumb brain actually making him buck foriegn policy blob orthodoxy and talk to The Savage Orientals as if they're a valid nation was actually a good move, the whole 'hermit kingdom' doctrine was stupid and yea we probably should be in talks with BOTH Koreas. I don't think Trump is smart enough for that poo poo, but the reaction from the dems to go "OH MY GOD YOU HAVE BETRAYED YOUR NATION SIR" in response was insane and I'm sure we're gonna see that again over our foreverwars too.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

enraged_camel posted:

I think people are being a bit too... overzealous with the usage of the word "genocide" when describing the Turkish-Kurdish conflict.

Excuse me?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

The Turks aim to murder a group of people based largely on their ethnic identity. How is that not textbook genocide?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

enraged_camel posted:

I don't.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Griffen posted:

Also, get it through your thick whiney skull. The SDF invited/begged for us to come. We are not an invading force in Syria (the one place we aren't), we are guest forces helping to protect an ally. We are a support and logistics force that supplies special forces support and artillery and air support. The SDF leads all attacks against ISIS. Either know what you're talking about or shut up already.

"The Diems have repeatedly asked for our continued assistance!"

"The swamp Shia are begging us!"

"Ahmed Chalabi says..."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'm still catching up this morning but

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1075726666574544896?s=19

i thought we were withdrawing because we beat ISIS?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

sexpig by night posted:

But like we saw with North Korea, his dumb brain actually making him buck foriegn policy blob orthodoxy and talk to The Savage Orientals as if they're a valid nation was actually a good move, the whole 'hermit kingdom' doctrine was stupid and yea we probably should be in talks with BOTH Koreas. I don't think Trump is smart enough for that poo poo, but the reaction from the dems to go "OH MY GOD YOU HAVE BETRAYED YOUR NATION SIR" in response was insane and I'm sure we're gonna see that again over our foreverwars too.

How is handing a propaganda victory and legitimizing the Kim regime in return for nothing a "good move"?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sexpig by night posted:

Trump's insane obsession with DEALS DEALS DEALS actually can help in some foriegn policy things.

The trouble is that he's not obsessed with "deals" as the rest of the world understands the word, he's obsessed with his personal bizarro concept which he coincidentally also calls "deals".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

How is handing a propaganda victory and legitimizing the Kim regime in return for nothing a "good move"?

Art of the Deal baby

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m going to laugh so hard if he shuts down the government after the GOP Senate just passed a clean CR

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

"I am building by far the most powerful military in the world."

It some straight up cartoon villain poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Griffen posted:

I know this might be a bit hard, but when we say "the Kurds" we are generalizing. Kurdish militia groups are numerous and are distinct entities. The US has been working with the SDF, an umbrella group of mostly Kurds and some Syrian arabs. The Afrin Kurds were not in the SDF, though I think that was the eventual goal. The SDF taking Manbij a couple years ago was predominantly to link up SDF lands with the Afrin canton, which is what spurred Turkey-backed militias to invade Syria under the guise of "trying to relieve Aleppo," when in reality it was simply to prevent the SDF from linking all the cantons and increasing in size and organization. So when Turkey invaded Afrin, they did so because Afrin was not US-backed and we could not help them (since our cover was "to fight ISIS," and Afrin was not in a position to fight ISIS, being surrounded by Rebels and SAA. So, yes, Turkey has already genocided Kurds, and we didn't/couldn't stop it before. This one we can, and have been. Multiple times Erdogan has threatened to invade Manbij and we've told him that US forces would remain and dared him to attack US forces. They didn't. Now we have Trump pulling our forces out, which removes that deterrence and will allow Turkey to invade. Action leads to consequence. Debate whether or not it is worth it, not whether or not it would happen.

hey dipshit you get your argument is literally 'ok well yea obviously ethnic cleansing happens but as long as we protect the militias that advance our interests its fine' right? It's loving genocide man, if we're a 'peacekeeping' force I think 'prevent genocide' should be number 1 on the job list, but you're exactly right that it's not. We're there to advance US interests, not actually help anyone.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I wonder what Warmbier's chud family felt when Trump said he was in love with Kim Jong Un.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

"I AM building by far the most powerful military in the world."

My fear-scented man, we've already got that one covered.

Violator
May 15, 2003

eke out posted:

That sure sounds like he's taunting ISIS to do something in that last line. :(

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Art of the Deal baby

Oh no, those propaganda victories, oh drat, with the thousands of propaganda-related casualties.

Y'all got the worms bad. It's super weird how insistent you are on the hegemon.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

what part of "delegitimizing" the Kim regime has gotten anyone anything

they run the country. this is not in dispute. this has not been in dispute for the entirety of the time you, personally, have been alive. there comes a point where playing the I'm Not Listening game stops working

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Donnie I'm going to need you to point out at what point we didn't have the most powerful military in the world

e: f;b

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

It's horrifying to me that a substantial portion of this thread seems to believe that a genocide or massacre of the Kurds is perfectly OK because we know a priori and with certainty that any US military action (even the presence of advisers who exist solely to deter a massacre) would have worse consequences. It's possible to believe that 1) US interventionism over the past 30-40 years has generally had negative consequences, 2) that we're more or less responsible for how bad things are now, and that 3) immediately abandoning our allies and allowing them to be murdered is STILL A BAD THING that is in fact worse than the alternatives.

Personally I think we should tell Erdogan to gently caress right off and offer fullhearted support for a Kurdish state, because I don't see why the gently caress we should consider ourselves allied with the man who's jailed more journalists than any other leader. But even if you disagree with me, it's a false dichotomy that the only choices are WITHDRAW EVERYTHING NOW or FOREVER WAR, and if you really think those are the only two options that you're a loving moron. We could easily allow a token number of US troops to remain as a deterrent while working to negotiate safe zones for the Kurds in Syria. The long term risks of leaving some advisers around to deter Erdogan are very very low, and the upside in terms of lives saved is very high. We can exercise substantial leverage over Turkey to achieve this. And not every use of the US military is morally/politically/legally equivalent to the Iraq war. There are some instances where immediately withdrawing our forces will almost certainly have far worse consequences than allowing them to remain, and this is one of those cases.

I sincerely hope that none of you ever has to be in a situation like the Kurds are now, but I think that if y'all were, you'd very quickly reconsider your "genocide is bad but trying to stop it is even worse! and we don't want to stop it for the right reasons so why bother!" view. That's a very... privileged... view to take of the situation.

We exist, right now, as the closest thing to a modern analog of an Imperial power. We're an Empire. If you look at the long history of empires, you will find that they rarely, if ever, act out of humanitarian motives. It's all about what's the most direct way to get what they want right now. If the US ever EVER acts in a military action for a humanitarian reason, let me assure you it's purely by coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Griffen posted:

Funny how there are native informers and collaborators all over the world that demand the US get involved in another country's internal affairs.