Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Meh. Why get excited about a team handled by the exact same mind behind Uncanny X-Men right now? I'm not hopping in without a writer change.

Speaking of which, Age of X-Men so far just looks like...an entire litany of writers I haven't heard of before...writing about the X-Men being fascists I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah I find it really fuckin' hard to get excited by any X-Men lineup written by Rosenberg. But damned if I'm not happy to see Hope being used again.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/1075140674855600131

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is this the only announced post-Disassembled team right now?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
A $100, 800 page Eve of Destruction HC is perhaps the least essential object on the planet earth.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I really like that lineup, in as much as I'm going to like anything with Cyclops and like most of the New Mutants, but yeah Rosenberg has done absolutely nothing to give me confidence in his writing. Tom Taylor or G. Willow Wilson or somebody would get my rear end in a seat, but Rosenberg's never risen beyond ''that was okay, I guess.''

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How and when did Banshee come back to life? And actually, how did he die in the first place? I just remember reading some X-Factor where Multiple Man is in charge and Banshee is dead and his daughter is all "well, X-Men die and come back to life constantly, I don't know why everyone expects me to be sad." Turns out she was right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He got resurrected by a Life Seed (or death seed?) as one of the 4 Horsemen during Uncanny Avengers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Banshee was killed by Vulcan back in the Brubaker era X-Men.

Remember when Gambit and Sunfire were two of Apocalypse's Horsemen?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
At this point being a Horseman is like being in the Hellfire Club: it's been done, boyos.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Banshee looks like he has some T-O tracing on him there. Also is that Moonstar Mirage? Because I thought that was Warpath.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is that Warlock? If so, I'll keep my sub going.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I thought so too, but he wasn't listed. I don't see Karma in the picture and I know she lost her leg, maybe she was infected with the T-O virus at some point?

Otherwise I'm pretty meh. I'm all for folding former New Mutants into regular X-Men teams, but even still I only like about half of those characters. With almost a hundred X-People to choose from they dig up Banshee and Hope.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Oh wait - in the recent New Mutants series, the whole NM team got infected with the TO virus. I’d guess that’s Karma

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmfao why

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's a good mix of characters that haven't really been put together.

gently caress yeah, Cyclops is back!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Not going to lie, Cyke in his 90s cartoon costume and Wolverine in the yellow and brown is extremely my jam.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I like this line up...in theory.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cyclops, who was always right, is back!

Gymer
May 30, 2012
Extermination WTF!
Rachel is still brainwashed into a hound after the end of the series and no one cares. Was there a mandate to cut down good guy psychics or something?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm more concerned about the narrative beat of teen Bobby nobly stuffing himself back into the closet for the good of reality, which is an extraordinarily bad look for a book coming out in the waning days of 2018.

Edit: I also flipped through the past two issues of Uncanny and it continues to be both narratively incompetent and thematically incoherent. X-Man is...making extinct flora and fauna come back, destroying offshore oil rigs, and taking away peoples' weapons, and the X-Men are uniformly reacting like he's driving tanks over preschools.

Now sure, there are not unintelligible positions to take that gloss the above as de facto bad things to do, but it's a weird, weird ideological space to set the X-Men down in. We're certainly a long way from Claremont, Morrison, and Milligan's counter-cultural, queer, and radical-by-big-two-standards take on mutants, and it feels like a lovely place to land in this day and age. Sure, the X-Men franchise could realistically only be written as radical to a certain extent as corporate IP, but making them reactionaries is baffling and, more than that, boring. There's a way to tell this kind of story, I suppose, but they're doing it supremely poorly.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 19, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Archyduchess posted:

I'm more concerned about the narrative beat of teen Bobby nobly stuffing himself back into the closet for the good of reality, which is an extraordinarily bad look for a book coming out in the waning days of 2018.

I guess we know what's being exterminated now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Archyduchess posted:

i think brisson thought he was doing it gently with that last scene between young bobby and old bobby but B O Y

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Alaois posted:

i think brisson thought he was doing it gently with that last scene between young bobby and old bobby but B O Y

I can only presume Ed Brisson is a straight guy because no queer person on earth could write that scene and mean it to be affirming or inspiring. It was bullshit.

Gymer
May 30, 2012
Did adult Bobby actually come out yet or is it just assumed?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah, he has. His solo series deals with it quite a bit, I don't know how foregrounded it is in the team books though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gymer posted:

Did adult Bobby actually come out yet or is it just assumed?

He's been out at least since his solo series. I think maybe he'd told a couple people since then.

Also, what a loving horrible idea. And besides, unless Marvel Time is even stranger than it appears, it's not like Bobby's going to be closeted in the 60s. He's going to be closeted after Ellen Degeneres had a sitcom and while Will and Grace is on the air. Yeah, his family sucks, but still. Have Jean give a last little nudge to Bobby or just let everybody have like one important thing they can remember or literally anything besides re-closeting a character because loving jeez.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The stories have already been printed. They can't go back and change what's been published for 50 years. This is just a way to show that these were the original X-Men we've been reading about.

Iceman is not back in the closet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

The stories have already been printed. They can't go back and change what's been published for 50 years. This is just a way to show that these were the original X-Men we've been reading about.

Iceman is not back in the closet.

That's dumb. The time displaced X-Men were from somewhere around issue 8 of the original Lee/Kirby Uncanny X-Men, right? I don't remember exactly how the publishing schedules of the early years of Marvel worked exactly, but within a year or two of that Lee and Kirby also put out a book that canonically made Reed Richards and Ben Grimm WW2 vets who fought alongside Nick Fury. Plus they've hosed with the timelines so much already that worrying about screwing up the past is dumb as hell too.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

it's time travel - he's not back in the closet, he was already always in the closet

the issue absolutely didn't hit the right tonal note, but that's because the resolution underplayed the personal emotional significance of all of the original 5 knowing they would be losing their identities/memories/lives completely - time-displaced Bobby didn't go back in the closet, time-displaced Bobby loving ceased to exist (as did the Cyclops that got a chance to know his father as a teenager, the more self-possessed versions of Jean and Warren, etc.)

at least until the memories re-emerged in the aftermath of this event - frankly I'm curious if they do anything with that, since Hank should suddenly be more than passingly familiar with demonic magic

Gymer
May 30, 2012
I was kind of hoping that some time doppelganger or just cloning, it worked for the marauders, would save them from what was essentially suicide; I think it would make a good book to see the O5 go back with all their future knowledge if they went back to an alternate time line.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Wouldn't it have been easy to just say something like "wow looksl ike Hank hosed up, it wasn't Dr. Doom style time travel after all." Or "Franklin decided these kids deserved their own timeline" or something?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah I haven't read this issue yet (and dgaf about spoilers for lovely events) but I wouldn't at all mind a book about the O5 X-Men back in the sixty-nineties (oh, that sounds bad, but I refuse to fix it) retaining their character development, maybe with a plot device of "all our concrete knowledge of the future is blocked from us because of magic reasons", firmly establishing that they're in a branched alternate timeline where anything can happen, bonus points if the writers refuse to take the easy way out and rewrite all the Classic Stories With A Modern Twist. But oh I guess we have to consider those entirely hypothetical very easily confused new readers.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Everything Ed Brisson has done within the X-Men realm has been such a bummer so far. I'm really not looking forward to his X-Force run.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, that actually wouldn't be a bad limited series, where the time-displaced O5 branch off to a new timeline due to having increasingly troubling senses of deja vu that eventually make them take a very different path.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, that actually wouldn't be a bad limited series, where the time-displaced O5 branch off to a new timeline due to having increasingly troubling senses of deja vu that eventually make them take a very different path.

You could give that concept to Dennis Hopeless and have a fine old time, if they let it alone.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

You could give that concept to Dennis Hopeless and have a fine old time, if they let it alone.

drawn by Phil Noto, because who else could you get to draw the 90s but done to look like the 60s

okay gently caress time to stop fantasy booking a nonexistent comic

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alaois posted:

drawn by Phil Noto, because who else could you get to draw the 90s but done to look like the 60s

okay gently caress time to stop fantasy booking a nonexistent comic

Mike Allred

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The thing with Bobby sucks but I feel bad for Jean, too, after she had so many mini arcs and a solo series about how she won't become future Jean. :smith:

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

The thing with Bobby sucks but I feel bad for Jean, too, after she had so many mini arcs and a solo series about how she won't become future Jean. :smith:

Yeah. I distinctly remember the first issue of the O5 series (Blue, I think?) did the roll call for the X-Men and when it came to Jean it was all 'Team Leader: About time!) and... yeah. Double :smith:.