Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

apparently while lots of republicans aren't present, a lot of dems aren't as well so they'd need to be pulled back to defeat a bill that had a wall

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1075813483445403649

why is it a feature and not a bug in the yool 2018 with telecom tech that allows basically real time voting from anywhere on earth our public servants still need to be in a specific physical building to vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

cochise posted:

They steal your tablet in front of you while maintaining eye contact.

Or I guess they're just now going to fully grope people for 10 minutes while barking at them to keep them afraid and obedient.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is the TSA going to be furloughed for this shutdown? Right before Christmas travel?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I am INCREDIBLY amused that he is pitching a fit over funding for the wall that he endlessly said Mexico would pay for.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

ezra klein's mea culpa over being hookwinked by ryan was so loving dumb. you can't believe what ryan believes and be a "wonk".

basically ryan talked tons about math and showed people tons of pages of math and people were like "he must understand math"

and then someone looked through the math and, whoops

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tibalt posted:

Dream act would require congressional approval, wouldn't it? Although anything beyond reinstalling DACA would require Congress, I guess.

well yeah, but you don't seriously think anyone would give trump funding for the wall - which requires a law - and then not put his side of the deal in that very same law, do you?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

why is it a feature and not a bug in the yool 2018 with telecom tech that allows basically real time voting from anywhere on earth our public servants still need to be in a specific physical building to vote?

how are you going to ensure their vote submission isn't hijacked, either actively (by a middle-man intruder) or passively (if the member allows their staff to vote for them).

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Holy moly, it looks like the Dow took a loving nosedive after Paul Ryan came out and announced babby Trump won't sign the CR.

Just to check, but at this point it's actually impossible to get anything other than the CR to pass due to the number of missing people that left the House and Senate?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Holy moly, it looks like the Dow took a loving nosedive after Paul Ryan came out and announced babby Trump won't sign the CR.

Just to check, but at this point it's actually impossible to get anything other than the CR to pass due to the number of missing people that left the House and Senate?

yeah and that's likely quite intentional on the part of the Senate

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mango sentinel posted:

I am INCREDIBLY amused that he is pitching a fit over funding for the wall that he endlessly said Mexico would pay for.

He's pulling out of Syria to have the troops to invade Mexico for a good old loot and poop.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilweasel posted:

basically ryan talked tons about math and showed people tons of pages of math and people were like "he must understand math"

like making the social security administration own the entire stock market.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mdemone posted:

how are you going to ensure their vote submission isn't hijacked, either actively (by a middle-man intruder) or passively (if the member allows their staff to vote for them).

This is actually a very good point and it's also the reason that bills on the House floor are printed out and put into a wooden box rather than kept as solely electronic copies.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I forget where this came from, but there was also that stupid presentation where he showed the budget out of control, then cut it off and said he could do that with his plan without any math or details and people around me thought he was genius for it.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

evilweasel posted:

well yeah, but you don't seriously think anyone would give trump funding for the wall - which requires a law - and then not put his side of the deal in that very same law, do you?

Good point! I hadn't considered that!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So Ryan isn't going to hold the vote anyway then see if he can cobble together ~80 Republicans to override (which he might actually be able to do at this point)?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

evilweasel posted:

Remember the big republican health care reveal that was basically just a pamphlet with some clip art?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Just watch, after all this he'll still cave and sign it, just like every other time

Caros
May 14, 2008

Your Taint posted:

We all know that the Dems are going to blink first on this, right?

Also when's the deadline? Midnight est tomorrow night?

Oh absolutely. Dems are totally going to blink when they literally have Trump on tape saying "This shutdown is my fault" in an instance where the shutdown is absolutely his fault.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

evilweasel posted:

literally nobody except crazy people (trump; you) think dems are going to blink on this

edit: even trump doesn't really believe dems will blink he just can't stomach admitting defeat

And what exactly do we have to base that argument on? What past behavior have Dems showed that proved they won't blink here?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

So Ryan isn't going to hold the vote anyway then see if he can cobble together ~80 Republicans to override (which he might actually be able to do at this point)?

He'd have to have a functioning spine to do something like that.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This is actually a very good point and it's also the reason that bills on the House floor are printed out and put into a wooden box rather than kept as solely electronic copies.

I won't give my loving thermostat our WiFi credentials, I wouldn't trust my voting integrity to the tech companies and telecoms for... the rest of my life, probably.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Excuse me while I jump on a table and vigorously pelvic thrust screaming "I TOLD YOU SO" to every chud who smugly retorted "Well, bet you are happy about your stock portfolio" while laughing in their face.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wait I know it's kinda moot because the senate will likely block a wall bill but why did nancy let 25 dems go home early too that completely destroys the point of remaining in a blocking position as republicans who lost peel off

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Caros posted:

Oh absolutely. Dems are totally going to blink when they literally have Trump on tape saying "This shutdown is my fault" in an instance where the shutdown is absolutely his fault.

Probably, yeah.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Caros posted:

Not only that, there's absolutely no reason not to just sit back and watch the Republicans self-immolate. There's no cards on the table the Democrats need to protect--like the DACA kids last time--and this isn't even a full shutdown, just a partial one.

And nothing Chuck Schumer has said so far has even remotely indicated he's willing to agree to any kind of deal that includes a penny for that loving wall. If he does an about face, I'm more than happy to eat crow--but he and Pelosi are just having fun watching the Republicans repeatedly punch themselves in the crotch.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

friendbot2000 posted:

Excuse me while I jump on a table and vigorously pelvic thrust screaming "I TOLD YOU SO" to every chud who smugly retorted "Well, bet you are happy about your stock portfolio" while laughing in their face.

My stock what now?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I hate Corker but I kinda admire this much just not give a gently caress anymore.

Mask is off and dude could loving care less about Ryan's stupidity

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Just watch, after all this he'll still cave and sign it, just like every other time

we get the best of both worlds

if he doesn't cave, government shuts down and the entire country gets loving mad at Republicans

if he does cave, he shows once again what a spineless loving moron he is

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mango sentinel posted:

Not only that, he even declared, like, less than a week ago that he had secured the funding from Mexico via the new trade deal. I suppose it still lasted longer than our victory over ISIS...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I won't give my loving thermostat our WiFi credentials, I wouldn't trust my voting integrity to the tech companies and telecoms for... the rest of my life, probably.

Setup a Guest network and give it that. Most routers have the Guest Network VLAN'ed off, so it acts as a good way to segment your IOT stuff from the rest of your devices.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Crabtree posted:

What's a TSA variation of Going Postal?

Being a TSA agent

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

I mean, it's one banana Michael, what could it cost? 10 dollars?
Ha, shutting down the government because Ann Coulter trolled you on Twitter. I'm so ready for 2018 to just be over.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mdemone posted:

BLOCKCHAIN

E: I mean seriously though you’re making things way too complicated. Votes are public record anyway so just FaceTime the vote to broadcast on CSPAN or whatever. Done.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 20, 2018

Caros
May 14, 2008

Your Taint posted:

And what exactly do we have to base that argument on? What past behavior have Dems showed that proved they won't blink here?

Previous experience? The dems didn't cave in the 2013 shutdown because the optics of it were republicans shutting down the government in order to get something that they wanted. They did cave in the DACA shutdown, because it was clearly them shutting down the government to get something they wanted.

The senate passed a clean CR. The house was willing to pass a clean CR. The only reason the house hasn't, is because Trump says he won't sign it. They have the fucker on camera saying that he will own the shutdown, and every single person knows that it is going to be his fault if it happens. The democrats have literally all the leverage in the world here, what sort of brain damage makes you think that they'd blink?

Catalyst-proof posted:

Is the TSA going to be furloughed for this shutdown? Right before Christmas travel?

TSA is unlikely to shut down. The TSA can be considered essential (particularly at Xmas time) and thus they'd keep on keeping on. That said, the decision seems to be up to the executive branch, and Trump is a fuckin idiot, so who knows.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

Setup a Guest network and give it that. Most routers have the Guest Network VLAN'ed off, so it acts as a good way to segment your IOT stuff from the rest of your devices.

how about I just never hook up a smart anything to the internet ever, that seems like a much better plan to me

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/PaulLeeTicks/status/1075833179884285952

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kerning Chameleon posted:

how about I just never hook up a smart anything to the internet ever, that seems like a much better plan to me

They are going to get you anyways. Might as well at least enjoy the advances

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Caros posted:

Previous experience? The dems didn't cave in the 2013 shutdown because the optics of it were republicans shutting down the government in order to get something that they wanted. They did cave in the DACA shutdown, because it was clearly them shutting down the government to get something they wanted.

The senate passed a clean CR. The house was willing to pass a clean CR. The only reason the house hasn't, is because Trump says he won't sign it. They have the fucker on camera saying that he will own the shutdown, and every single person knows that it is going to be his fault if it happens. The democrats have literally all the leverage in the world here, what sort of brain damage makes you think that they'd blink?

TSA is unlikely to shut down. The TSA can be considered essential (particularly at Xmas time) and thus they'd keep on keeping on. That said, the decision seems to be up to the executive branch, and Trump is a fuckin idiot, so who knows.

My dream is that everyone’s Christmas is ruined because spineless fat baby got mad on Twitter.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Caros posted:

They have the fucker on camera saying that he will own the shutdown, and every single person knows that it is going to be his fault if it happens.

How many times is it going to take before people realize that don't mean poo poo when a Republican does that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1075833793720795141