Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im glad october update is not yet fully rolled out but microsoft is forging ahead https://arstechnica.com/?p=1431381

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

so what happened in last 100 posts, that idiot with his artisanal registry hacks came back?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yes I got the new iPad with the old pencil and it's amazing actually

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

orange sky posted:

Yes I got the new iPad with the old pencil and it's amazing actually
now do dickbutt

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Maybe I'll do goatse, got a long flight today

That'd make for interesting conversation

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so what happened in last 100 posts, that idiot with his artisanal registry hacks came back?

one of them.

there are a few

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i thought we killed it back in september

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
at least no one is unironically recommending a shell replacement that hasn't been maintained for over a year

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

at least no one is unironically recommending a shell replacement that hasn't been maintained for over a year

a new coworker asked if he could install ui skins on his work computer

mystes
May 31, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

a new coworker asked if he could install ui skins on his work computer
Windows 98 + windowblinds.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mystes posted:

Windows 98 + windowblinds.

custom xp boot screen with elf titties from gpu packaging

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

custom xp boot screen with elf titties from gpu packaging

windows xp pirate edition

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

windows xp pirate edition

these were extremely popular with “cool kids” here, widows xp exxxtreme performance gaming edition

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. remember when the pics thread was all here's a link to a random site that will hack your kernel to display custom boot logos? they got real pissy when i pointed out that grabbing rando executables to inject code into the kernel was probably a bad idea.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i never really use it as a tablet and it just sits there as an extra screen while i work from a keyboard+mouse and separate monitors. the random slow-downs and random hard-locks upon resuming from sleep are pretty fuckin bad though (it has been slightly better since i went and manually upgraded the firmware, those fucks prepping these things aren't doing their jobs):

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1067627892228509701

i guess i could take my chances and ask for a replacement machine, specifically a laptop but my colleague did that recently and they gave him a second-hand laptop with half the screen-hinge assembly shattered lol

wtf, you literally work in a garbage dump

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

no, that's atomicthumbs

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

it's in the name m8

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

syscall girl posted:

there's an official reason why certain apps (like irfanview) can't keep an association but it's not a good one

which is what?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

not reg hacks, it's just the reg keys taken from the w10 admx

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

EnergizerFellow posted:

which is what?

microsoft's official stance on users is they loving suck and their choices are bad so they reset settings at random

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there is no admx that deletes built-in tasks or renames a key to break edge, that's not a thing

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

then dont run that part of the script man

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

if your bespoke artisnal operating system cant handle a single edge reg key being renamed then it is...shall we say.....a pos?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jenny Agutter posted:

that's been broken since at least build 1709

Lol, you use Windows 10.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

"don't run the bad parts of the script!" says dingus recommending using the same script

edit:

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

if your bespoke artisnal operating system cant handle a single edge reg key being renamed then it is...shall we say.....a pos?

i'm sure no one here has any qualms with you running that poo poo on your own pos provided that you don't post about it

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 20, 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you should run CRAP cleaner. because windows is full of CRAP!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

akadajet posted:

this but unironically

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Last Chance posted:

microsoft's official stance on users is they loving suck

it's more of an unofficial motto

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

infernal machines posted:

lol. remember when the pics thread was all here's a link to a random site that will hack your kernel to display custom boot logos? they got real pissy when i pointed out that grabbing rando executables to inject code into the kernel was probably a bad idea.

pics thread: puffed a reefer and died

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

but this will just format the boot drive????

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i wonder how many people windows update has indirectly killed since its inception. we're probably at a pretty high bodycount by now i reckon

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol i do remember being in a hospital and some digital wayfinding signage had a big "Restart Windows" modal covering up relevant info for patients

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Last Chance posted:

lol i do remember being in a hospital and some digital wayfinding signage had a big "Restart Windows" modal covering up relevant info for patients

https://www.pcgamesn.com/windows-update-ostfold-hospital

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

orange sky posted:

After uninstalling the appx don't forget to get rid of all appxpackages or they'll be reinstalled every feature update

Did King pay like $30B to Microsoft to push candy crush incessantly

Windows no longer reinstalls appx packages that have been uninstalled even if they were just uninstalled for that user, this was changed some updates ago.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

*in theory

in practice they will occasionally be reinstalled immediately after being removed, over and over again unless you nuke them with appx remove applet

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

try nuking your pos windows machine, op

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

any apps on win10 that it won't let me uninstall normally i just don't use. problem solved

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Pile Of Garbage posted:

any apps on win10 that it won't let me uninstall normally i just don't use. problem solved

I remove all of the live tile things and it's like they don't exist to me anymore.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

what is it with ms and settings that don't actually work? sometimes my desktop will lag for a second or two and it will ask me, "oh hey do you want to turn off aero?" and one of the choices is No, gently caress You Never Ask Me Again and i think i've probably selected that about a few dozen times and it still asks me every time. i mean, if one of the choices was No, gently caress You Please Ask Me Every Time I Love This Dialog i would appreciate the honesty but this is just insulting and they do this bunches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Broken Machine posted:

what is it with ms and settings that don't actually work? sometimes my desktop will lag for a second or two and it will ask me, "oh hey do you want to turn off aero?" and one of the choices is No, gently caress You Never Ask Me Again and i think i've probably selected that about a few dozen times and it still asks me every time. i mean, if one of the choices was No, gently caress You Please Ask Me Every Time I Love This Dialog i would appreciate the honesty but this is just insulting and they do this bunches

yeah windows calling your video card out on being a bust-rear end pos isn't microsoft's fault