Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

BioEnchanted posted:

Some of the Old saints may have had flawed beliefs, like one of the famous healers, I think Mother Theresa but it could have been someone else, didn't believe in painkillers and thought it better to let her patients just sweat it out.

That's the most catholic thing I've ever heard, so I'd believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Yeah it was Mother Teresa. Christopher Hitchens' The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice is maybe the most well-known critical examinations of her, for whoever's interested.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
She didn't run a hospital. These places were staffed by nuns and volunteers. They didn't have the training to use serious painkillers, if they even had them available.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
She said some kind of poo poo things equating human pain and suffering to closeness with God. She took things a few steps further than not having training or money for medicine; there's evidence that she knowingly did harm/prevented treatment to the sick.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

greententacle posted:

Maybe a form of the "Doctor Who rule" should come into play? That is, only expect time travel to work consistently in whichever Dr Who story you're currently watching/reading/listening to. Don't try to make sense of how time travel is supposed to work across all the different Dr Who stories, you'll just give yourself a headache.
Doctor Who, since the revival anyway, has been incredibly consistent with its rules of time travel.

You can't interfere with past events, unless you already did, in which case you now have to, because you already did it.

So you can't go back to your past to give yourself advice, but if future you comes back to tell you something, you then have to make sure you also do it when you take their place.

It's pretty cool to think about.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

LividLiquid posted:

Doctor Who, since the revival anyway, has been incredibly consistent with its rules of time travel.

You can't interfere with past events, unless you already did, in which case you now have to, because you already did it.

So you can't go back to your past to give yourself advice, but if future you comes back to tell you something, you then have to make sure you also do it when you take their place.

It's pretty cool to think about.

I'm pretty sure there's been episodes that break those rules though? Like, what about the Christmas Carol episode? The Doctor deliberately interferes with a dude's past, to change him from being a nasty person to a nice person. Outside of that episode, that sort of thing is usually not on, breaking the laws of time and all that. I haven't been keeping up with it though, last episode I saw was in the middle of Capaldi's last season.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Christmas specials are always full of dumb macguffin stuff bc Christmas so they don’t count

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

greententacle posted:

I'm pretty sure there's been episodes that break those rules though? Like, what about the Christmas Carol episode? The Doctor deliberately interferes with a dude's past, to change him from being a nasty person to a nice person. Outside of that episode, that sort of thing is usually not on, breaking the laws of time and all that. I haven't been keeping up with it though, last episode I saw was in the middle of Capaldi's last season.

Interfering is more of a "shouldn't" than a "can't" in DW, because of the aforementioned stable-loop fuckery it creates.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm getting the impression from this show that as well-thought-out as it is, it encourages the viewers to do some mental gymnastics to figure things out. I don't think this is a :lost: where the script writes checks that it cannot cash, but there's definitely a sense of overanalysis going on here.

Well I do like that a lot of shows aren't that hand-holding these days, they respect your intelligence & ability to figure some things out without having it spelled out to you. Like, most sci fi shows now don't bother to explain to you what a parallel universe is, they assume the audience will already be familiar with that concept. You can definitely take it too far in that direction though. Like, when I first finished reading Douglas Adams's "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" I went, "Huh? What? Where's the ending?" I had to read an article online to understand what happened.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The plot of the first dirk gently is a kind of riff on Scientology iirc but it felt real Robert Anton Wilson inspired compared to the hitchhikers stuff, just mindfuck after mindfuck for the sheer sake of it and it works bc Adams writes with joy about the most ridiculous poo poo

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

greententacle posted:

Even in that ep, there's a case to be made about how it was always meant to work out that way.

But even if it didn't work that one time, the rest of the time, it's been pretty consistent.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

While the live numbers suck, when you count streaming and DVR watching it's one of NBC's highest rated shows.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

mortal posted:

Mindy started a foundation that improved every facet of human existence on Earth solely because she wanted to do good...and then died before she could do anything to lose points, or develop selfish motivations for the foundations work that would deny her the points it earned. That still seems to fit the theory that the criteria is absurdly high.

She's nice though, just think - she let Chidi and Eleanor stay with her over and over and etc.
Although maybe it's selfish because she wants some company.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

she wants sex and cocaine is what she wants. And honestly who doesn't?

unfinite crisis
Sep 14, 2004

Taear posted:

She's nice though, just think - she let Chidi and Eleanor stay with her over and over and etc.

She hid a camera in their room to watch them have sex.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

JayBeeTee posted:

She's already dead so she doesn't lose points.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

JayBeeTee posted:

She didn’t hide the camera in the room, she filmed them through her “Lookin’ Hole”.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
One thing that seems strange to me is that Janet has an automatic fail-safe to avoid being rebooted...but there is apparently no fail-safe that exists for Janets being marbleized. In fact there were at least two instances I can recall where Janet was actively encouraging Michael to marbleize her.

I suppose the real world explanation was that rebooting Janet was an idea from Season 1 which went along with D'arcy's hilarious pleas and face-down sand smash for comedic effect. For season 2 they needed to introduce something else that could happen to Janets and this time there was no time or reason to rehash the same joke (especially since we got a great Janet reboot montage early in Season 2).

I guess for an in-universe explanation perhaps the entity (God? Gen the judge? Someone else?) that is in charge of Janets know that there is no harm in them being marbleized since there is an infinite supply of Janets as replacements but since Janets become more advanced when they are rebooted the fail-safe exists to keep Janets primitive.

Or I just realized that the times that Janet is actively encouraging Michael to marbleize her it is because her very existence is endangering the humans. So maybe she is able to overwrite any fail-safe that she might have towards being marbleized because her primary mandate is to make the humans happy like the First Law of Robotics (not a robot).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What happens if a Janet tries to reboot another Janet?

Also can neutral Janets even do the failsafe?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

King of Foolians posted:

I guess for an in-universe explanation perhaps the entity

I'm rationalizing it with, "It prevents spurious resets by residents."

Good Place residents:
  • will stop for pleas.
  • won't know about marble-ization.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

FWIW We are the largest economy in Europe and yet I had to buy the 3rd season on itunes, because Netflix doesn't carry it here.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

FWIW We are the largest economy in Europe and yet I had to buy the 3rd season on itunes, because Netflix doesn't carry it here.

The 3rd season is still airing. Netflix (in the US, at least) almost NEVER adds a season until it’s completely aired on regular tv.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

King of Foolians posted:

One thing that seems strange to me is that Janet has an automatic fail-safe to avoid being rebooted...but there is apparently no fail-safe that exists for Janets being marbleized. In fact there were at least two instances I can recall where Janet was actively encouraging Michael to marbleize her.

I suppose the real world explanation was that rebooting Janet was an idea from Season 1 which went along with D'arcy's hilarious pleas and face-down sand smash for comedic effect. For season 2 they needed to introduce something else that could happen to Janets and this time there was no time or reason to rehash the same joke (especially since we got a great Janet reboot montage early in Season 2).

I guess for an in-universe explanation perhaps the entity (God? Gen the judge? Someone else?) that is in charge of Janets know that there is no harm in them being marbleized since there is an infinite supply of Janets as replacements but since Janets become more advanced when they are rebooted the fail-safe exists to keep Janets primitive.

Or I just realized that the times that Janet is actively encouraging Michael to marbleize her it is because her very existence is endangering the humans. So maybe she is able to overwrite any fail-safe that she might have towards being marbleized because her primary mandate is to make the humans happy like the First Law of Robotics (not a robot).

You can de-marbleize a Janet bu you can't de-reboot a Janet.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

King of Foolians posted:

The 3rd season is still airing. Netflix (in the US, at least) almost NEVER adds a season until it’s completely aired on regular tv.

That's for shows that it doesn't have first-run rights for. Here in the UK, Netflix airs TGP like 6 hours after it airs on NBC. Same as Better Call Saul, Star Trek Discovery and a bunch of other shows.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

King of Foolians posted:

When netflix is the licenced distributor for a show outside the US; episodes are generally added each week within a few hours of the US airing - in Australia it does this for the good place; black lightning, Star trek discovery, etc. In those Countries Netflix is where the show airs first.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, a casual Australian viewer could not even realise it's an NBC Shoe, each episode even starts with a "Netflix Originals" card.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, a casual Australian viewer could not even realise it's an NBC Shoe, each episode even starts with a "Netflix Originals" card.

Except for how the episodes come out weekly instead of the whole season being released all at once

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's interesting because Amazon goes with delineating shows they commisioned as Amazon Originals vs Amazon Exclusive if they just bought distribution rights for a region, but Netflix tags everything as a Netflix Original regardless of origin.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's because, up until recently, Netflix didn't have a production arm. Pretty much all Netflix original content is purchased from a production company for distribution rights just like any other show on any other network

Amazon started with their own production studio, content was made in house. It wasn't purchased for distribution only.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

greententacle posted:

Except for how the episodes come out weekly instead of the whole season being released all at once

If I didn't read this thread I'd have no idea it was on NBC. Some things on netflix just come out every week instead of all at once. And while yea that means it's airing elsewhere I doubt many people make that connection.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

bull3964 posted:

That's because, up until recently, Netflix didn't have a production arm. Pretty much all Netflix original content is purchased from a production company for distribution rights just like any other show on any other network

Amazon started with their own production studio, content was made in house. It wasn't purchased for distribution only.

Why do they call it that? "Netflix Original" seems to imply they made it, rather than being made elsewhere & having the rights to it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Because it implies they made it, rather than being made elsewhere & having the rights to it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

greententacle posted:

Why do they call it that? "Netflix Original" seems to imply they made it, rather than being made elsewhere & having the rights to it.

Even Arrested Development 4th and 5th season are tagged as Netflix Originals.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

King of Foolians posted:

To add to what others have said from overseas, you're never going to see this happen with Big Three(four) network shows in the States. You can thank Hulu for that (and, in the case of Star Trek, CBS). I think Better Call Saul was the first we got to see of weekly episodes on Netflix, and that's AMC.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

there's another video with the philosophy consultant for the show; Mother Forkin' Morals on Utilitarianism (and Trolleys):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuVreCbQOwc

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 23, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
has this thread previously been named "the goon place" because how has that not happened yet

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

swickles posted:

Even Arrested Development 4th and 5th season are tagged as Netflix Originals.

i may be confused, but netflix directly produced seasons 4 and 5. same as the new seasons of MST3K, at this point it is a netflix original even if it's not exactly, original

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Even then, they label it as semi-original.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Just heard about this show and binged up to current. My new favorite show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sub Rosa posted:

Just heard about this show and binged up to current. My new favorite show.

Welcome to the Good Place