Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Lwaxana is handled so much better in DS9 than TNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Laterite posted:

Bar Association is a straight up pro-union episode, like it doesn't even do a "both sides" thing; unions are good and the FCA is a bunch of jerks. Doubtful we'll ever see something like that again.
What's extra funny is that at the time I think Armin Shimmerman was the SAG union president.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Laterite posted:

Bar Association is a straight up pro-union episode, like it doesn't even do a "both sides" thing; unions are good and the FCA is a bunch of jerks. Doubtful we'll ever see something like that again.

It's outright marxist. It owns. Both sides is southpark bullshit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
South park is worse because it instead presents the worst of both sides in a "See, it's all bad, so just be a libertarian like us"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Picard: Our next guest claims to be a sentient hologram, having just returned from the Delta quadrant. We have our own experiences with sentient holograms, don't we Mr Data?

Data: You are correct, sir.

Picard: That one didn't go so well.

Data: YES!

CPColin posted:

"What we got back was perfectly healthy and lived for a long time."
"My god."

Sir Lemming posted:

Imagine there's no Sto'Vo'Kor, it's easy if you try

All of these posts were very good and I enjoyed them greatly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nullsmack posted:

I'm not super optimistic considering the last time we saw the TNG era it was fat Riker party crashing the Enterprise finale.

No good reason why TNG2 couldn't be animated.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

Lwaxana is handled so much better in DS9 than TNG

sad but true statement right here.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Baronjutter posted:

It's outright marxist. It owns. Both sides is southpark bullshit.

Actually they are Marxist now. Maybe. Who knows.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ira Behr posted another update today with a new HD DS9 clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztEgRsTD0KQ&t=123s

The perfect clip.

Nessus posted:

What's extra funny is that at the time I think Armin Shimmerman was the SAG union president.

Well one of the reasons it's probably so unusually pro-union for an American production is that TV/movie production is one of the last great bastions of unions left in America.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That clip is always fantastic but it’s just not the same without the music

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'know, I like Discovery okay, but raise an issue about society, agonize about it, then have your characters make a decision, right or wrong, then sit them across from one-another and have them wonder if they did the right thing. that's Star Trek.

Discovery is more interested in saying "Hey! Nerd! Remember Spock?!"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A technical question for people who know TV and poo poo: how the gently caress do you actually upgrade a clip to HD? How does that happen?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pull the film out of the archives and scan it in an HD scanner. All treks were filmed on film masters until they went digital, they were just edited and had the effects done in SD.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The amount of money it cost to remaster all of TNG into HD is loving impossible, if I can get a little hyperbolic. It's a miracle it ever happened.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
And since CBS overpriced the TNG blus and barely sold any, we’ll never get a DS9 HD release. Even Voyager, a far more popular (among general audiences) show, has just about zero chance of ever seeing an HD release.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Y'know, I like Discovery okay, but raise an issue about society, agonize about it, then have your characters make a decision, right or wrong, then sit them across from one-another and have them wonder if they did the right thing. that's Star Trek.

Also "it's okay to commit war crimes as long as the other guys are cartoonishly superbad".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And since CBS overpriced the TNG blus and barely sold any, we’ll never get a DS9 HD release. Even Voyager, a far more popular (among general audiences) show, has just about zero chance of ever seeing an HD release.

The even bigger issue was that they gave the HD versions away on Netflix/Prime as well as overpricing the blu-rays. They're just clueless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'll bring it up once again.

CBS has their own digital streaming service now and they're apparently very hot for Star Trek at the moment.

If they can't figure out how to fund the remasters fully and then some by an exclusive window on All-Access, they don't deserve to be in business.

A few remaster episode releases a month is the perfect thing to bridge months of all access between new Star Trek shows and get people to keep their sub year long for multiple years.

I mean poo poo, one episode a week for the 348 episodes of Deep Space 9 and Voyager would keep me subscribed to All-Access for the better part of a decade.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 21, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One of my tests for a good show is: can they do a good bottle episode? One or two guest stars max in standard makeup for the show, no new sets. Bottle shows when done well are how you get episodes like The Measure of a Man and Duet.

Not only can I not imagine Discovery doing a good bottle episode, I can't imagine Discovery doing a bottle episode, period.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bottle episodes in general have gone away since 13 episode seasons became popular.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

LividLiquid posted:

They half assed it in Season 1 but I am curious to see if that was due to the production problems or what. They won’t be able to use the messed up production in Season 2 as an excuse.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The closest thing to a bottle episode that Disco had that I can remember is the Harry Mudd time loop episode, that that was pretty effects heavy too so I doubt it was much cheaper.

That was a pretty good episode though, IMO.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Bottle episodes in general have gone away since 13 episode seasons became popular.

Yeah, but some of Trek's best episodes (and, to be fair, some of its worst) have been bottle episodes.

My point is, I can't imagine Discovery sitting down and making a compelling episode of television with no special effects, no exotic makeup, just some compelling characters and a conundrum.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Veotax posted:

The closest thing to a bottle episode that Disco had that I can remember is the Harry Mudd time loop episode, that that was pretty effects heavy too so I doubt it was much cheaper.

That was a pretty good episode though, IMO.

Aside from turning goofy Harry Mudd into a mass murdering psychopath, yeah it was.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cythereal posted:

Not only can I not imagine Discovery doing a good bottle episode, I can't imagine Discovery doing a bottle episode, period.

Would the Harry Mudd time loop one count? They don’t leave the ship.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The Bloop posted:

Aside from turning goofy Harry Mudd into a mass murdering psychopath, yeah it was.

mudd.jpg

He had the record to support crazy poo poo, it always seemed to me that Kirk caught him on a good day

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

oh poo poo am I an STD apologist now?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

bull3964 posted:

I'll bring it up once again.

CBS has their own digital streaming service now and they're apparently very hot for Star Trek at the moment.

If they can't figure out how to fund the remasters fully and then some by an exclusive window on All-Access, they don't deserve to be in business.

A few remaster episode releases a month is the perfect thing to bridge months of all access between new Star Trek shows and get people to keep their sub year long for multiple years.

I mean poo poo, one episode a week for the 348 episodes of Deep Space 9 and Voyager would keep me subscribed to All-Access for the better part of a decade.

Apparently it was a massive effort to track down all of the sources of film and such to digitize for each individual episode of TNG. When it was being produced they'd do something for one episode but then the film would end up in another box because they reused it for another episode. Things were not always labelled correctly. Stuff like that. Not to mention redoing all of the special effects in HD. They'd have to commit to doing all of it and then hope that trickling it out one episode at a time would make enough money to be worth it.
I hope CBS does remasters for DS9 and Voyager at some point. Or at least DS9. If they don't, I hope someone figures out how to use some of the Machine Learning/Neural Network stuff to upgrade what we have.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Nullsmack posted:

Apparently it was a massive effort to track down all of the sources of film and such to digitize for each individual episode of TNG. When it was being produced they'd do something for one episode but then the film would end up in another box because they reused it for another episode. Things were not always labelled correctly. Stuff like that. Not to mention redoing all of the special effects in HD. They'd have to commit to doing all of it and then hope that trickling it out one episode at a time would make enough money to be worth it.
I hope CBS does remasters for DS9 and Voyager at some point. Or at least DS9. If they don't, I hope someone figures out how to use some of the Machine Learning/Neural Network stuff to upgrade what we have.

There are whole episodes of well-loved BBC sitcoms and episodic dramas that are lost because archiving wasn't a thing back then and magnetic tape/storage space got constantly reused after broadcast in the 1950s/60s/70s.

Sometimes they turn up in the lofts of ex-employees or old storerooms but yeah I can easily accept that Trek scenes have been similarly lost, especially when masters were distributed around model shot/CGI/etc subcontractors/departments before the final TV-quality cuts

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 21, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nullsmack posted:

That job only gets harder as time goes on until it eventually becomes impossible. CBS is being a horrible steward of their IP.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

simplefish posted:

There are whole episodes of well-loved BBC sitcoms and episodic dramas that are lost because archiving wasn't a thing back then and magnetic tape/storage space got constantly reused after broadcast in the 1950s/60s/70s.

Sometimes they turn up in the lofts of ex-employees or old storerooms but yeah I can easily accept that Trek scenes have been similarly lost, especially when masters were distributed around model shot/CGI/etc subcontractors/departments before the final TV-quality cuts

Seeing the pure unadulterated Joy when a grainy test reel for Doctor Who is unearthed really puts into perspective the job archaeology does.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

simplefish posted:

I'm not sure if any of it is lost to time. I watched a making of video on one of my season 1 TNG blurays about finding footage for the TNG remasters. They have a massive warehouse full of stuff. Individual scenes may just be mixed up in various locations.
I really really wish they would get on at least digitizing and preserving what they have before it possibly degrades too much. Even if they don't think they'll release it.

I think some of the missing Dr. Who episodes turned up somewhere in Africa last I heard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would be nice if they would at least just digitize the film they have before it isn't possible to do so anymore. Then they can just slowly work on it over the years.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe we can get CBS to pinky-swear that they'll do DS9 in HD if we all subscribe to All Access while Discovery is on

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
ultimately the tng project was $12 million and two production teams working full time on it for 2 years, and they didn't get close to recouping that cost. so unless some generous donor decides to pony up $24 mil for ds9/voy or cbs gets a new trek nerd ceo, forget about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They just got a bunch of free money from netflix for Discovery. Put that money back into Star Trek.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
free money? netflix funded nearly the entire budget of discovery for international streaming rights.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

cbs gets a new trek nerd ceo
Quick what's the god I gotta pray to or sacrifice or whatever to make this happen

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Origami Dali posted:

ultimately the tng project was $12 million and two production teams working full time on it for 2 years, and they didn't get close to recouping that cost. so unless some generous donor decides to pony up $24 mil for ds9/voy or cbs gets a new trek nerd ceo, forget about it.

$24mil is only a net gain of 300,000 subscribers to All Access for a year.

Netflix is adding almost 20x that in a quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Speaking of the TNG remaster, occasionally you'll see an effects shot, usually with a horizontal pan, that looks blurry as hell. The reason for this is an interesting read, but the tl;dr is that they came up with a clever way to do moving effects shots on the cheap, but which unfortunately resulted in lower-quality original film elements. Nothing you'd notice on TV in 1988, but 25 years later, there was only so much the remastering team could do with these.

http://trekcore.com/newspaper/2013/04/tngs-visual-effects-you-asked-for-widescreen/