Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Lewd Mangabey posted:

In case it isn't obvious, two malignant nodules in the lung is not a good thing. They say there's "no evidence of remaining disease", but depending on what the primary cancer is, there's a really good chance that there are other microscopic foci. She will almost certainly get chemotherapy of some sort -- hard to say for sure until it's clear what the primary diagnosis is.

I mean it also ain't her first rodeo. Colorectal and pancreatic cancers, both while on the bench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Moatman posted:

I mean it also ain't her first rodeo. Colorectal and pancreatic cancers, both while on the bench

While true, her 25-month survival odds just went down considerably, and I'm going to guess McConnell will suddenly forget about his previous stance on an outgoing President choosing a nominnee.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Moatman posted:

Yeah, the colon cancer was the real deal (resection + chemo), but she was also 20 years younger. As far as I know, the full diagnosis of the pancreatic cancer was never shared, but she didn't get chemo and seems to have had a less radical surgical procedure for it.

It's definitely hard to tell exactly what this means, since we don't know what kind of cancer was found this time.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tetrapyloctomy posted:

While true, her 25-month survival odds just went down considerably, and I'm going to guess McConnell will suddenly forget about his previous stance on an outgoing President choosing a nominnee.

"Well that was 366 days before an election, and this will be 390 days, so they're clearly not the same!"
Double extra lol if he just recycles his "Biden Rule" schtick but this time quotes Biden from 2015/6

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tetrapyloctomy posted:

he did that already, it now only applies if the opposite party holds the senate

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mobby_6kl posted:

Then there's this
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1076170278315720704
I don't think he's wrong at all, but I did literally lol for a good while. What a world.

Oh yeah, Trump managed to find possibly the worst reason to pull the troops out: To facilitate genocide, because if he doesn't Erdogan might shut down Trump Towers Istanbul or otherwise hurt his business there.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

tetrapyloctomy posted:

She'll make it because she has to.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mustached Demon posted:

She'll make it because she has to.

Make it to what? She's 85. Breyer is 80. The oldest Republican justice is 70. It's unlikely that Democrats will regain the Senate soon, if ever, given the realities of our oligarchal system. And Republicans have established the precedent of only permitting Republicans to be seated. What precisely is she waiting for? Even if she makes it to 2020, there's no real potential for affecting the rock solid conservative majority for a minimum of 15 years. She's a great judge, but I think the popular love for her is largely misguided - we cannot place the stability of the judicial system upon the shoulders of individuals.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Kaal posted:

It's unlikely that Democrats will regain the Senate soon, if ever, given the realities of our oligarchal system.

The Dems have a pretty good shot at the Senate in 2020, especially if the next two years continue on the trend of the last month. ME + CO + AZ are easy pickups, and they just need one lucky break in any other state. It's not a lock, by any means, but I'd put it at the 40% mark right now, and those odds are only going to get better.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Z. Autobahn posted:

The Dems have a pretty good shot at the Senate in 2020, especially if the next two years continue on the trend of the last month. ME + CO + AZ are easy pickups, and they just need one lucky break in any other state. It's not a lock, by any means, but I'd put it at the 40% mark right now, and those odds are only going to get better.

That requires them to hang on to Alabama though. 2020 is definitely better for Dems than 2018 was though.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Z. Autobahn posted:

I would look to North Carolina before AZ, I have little hope we can repeat what happened with Sinema. Montana is also a strong possibility.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sanguinia posted:

I would look to North Carolina before AZ, I have little hope we can repeat what happened with Sinema. Montana is also a strong possibility.

2019's probably gonna top 2018 in weird poo poo too. So who knows what the political landscape will be.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

If Bullock is in then I think Montana is an excellent shot.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Heads are going to roll, god drat, that is some of the most egregious poo poo.

I remember back in 2016 there was some talk about a bunch of oddities around financial records of people in the Trump orbit that were either turning up missing, being accessed at otherwise improper times, or potentially being flat-out altered. Holy poo poo that this is apparently the followup

Seriously considering throwing my resume at them, at least I have some functioning brain cells to offer. :wtc:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

2019's probably gonna top 2018 in weird poo poo too. So who knows what the political landscape will be.

yeah i think the only thing we know for sure is that we have no idea what the gently caress the electoral landscape will look like two years from now

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Nathan Robinson torches CAP and Neera Tanden.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

eke out posted:

yeah i think the only thing we know for sure is that we have no idea what the gently caress the electoral landscape will look like two years from now

Yeah, I think the lesson of Trump is: Expect the unexpected

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
What a week
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1076342002147569664
He'd have to actually be able to but that hasn't really stopped him before. Pretty sure Powell could just ignore it if he tried, though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Moatman posted:

What a week
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1076342002147569664
He'd have to actually be able to but that hasn't really stopped him before. Pretty sure Powell could just ignore it if he tried, though.

who knows. i feel like trump has just lost it and will fire him because gently caress everyone who isn't blowing him 24/7 and doing his commands.. which means he will probably lose the monied interests and corporate conservatives. he has already lost the war hawks.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Moatman posted:

xposting: the answer is definitely no, unless he can make up some kind of malfeasance (which is harder to do now that you're on the record saying you want to fire him for non-malfeasance-related reasons)

quote:

though funny enough, the oldest precedent - that first one that recognized that there are independent agencies the president can't gently caress with just because he doesn't like their politics - comes from FDR doing something just like Trump wants to. in Humphrey's Executor, Roosevelt was furious about a member of the FTC who didn't support the New Deal, repeatedly asked him to resign, then sent him a letter firing him. the titular humphrey just kept coming to work and ignored it, and it went to the supreme court

also the Fed is literally one of the quintessential examples that courts cite when discussing what 'independent agency' even means

here's the DC Circuit last year:

PHH v. CFPB posted:

The independence of financial regulators remains a prominent pattern today. The Federal Reserve Board is led by governors who can be removed only for cause during their fourteen-year terms. 12 U.S.C. § 242. The reason is simple: The Federal Reserve must “provide for the sound, effective, and uninterrupted operation of the banking system,” and Congress found that a degree of independence was needed to “increase the ability of the banking system to promote stability.” H.R. Rep. No. 74-742, at 1 (1935). By insulating the Board from presidential control and political pressures, Congress sought to ensure that the Federal Reserve would “reflect, not the opinion of a majority of special interests, but rather the well considered judgment of a body that takes into consideration all phases of national economic life.” Id. at 6.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Trump wanting to fire Powell really tips his hand. He's loving shook about how bad the markets have tanked. The shutdown is going to hurt too. We'll find out soon enough whether he wants to continue to side with his isolationist Breitbart pals or his Wall Street pals. I don't think it can be both. It's Trump, and I don't think he has any moral compass besides money. I think he'll give up on the trade war next year.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

paternity suitor posted:

Trump wanting to fire Powell really tips his hand. He's loving shook about how bad the markets have tanked. The shutdown is going to hurt too. We'll find out soon enough whether he wants to continue to side with his isolationist Breitbart pals or his Wall Street pals. I don't think it can be both. It's Trump, and I don't think he has any moral compass besides money. I think he'll give up on the trade war next year.

i am unsure. i think he realizes the only people who actually like him are the breitbart types and the trade war is deeper then any concept of trade or money, its all about trumps broken brain and his hosed up perspective of fair/just. if he isn't smilling while everyone elses loses/crying, its not a win/fair. i think he is gonna veto the clean bill when it comes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if he isn't smilling while everyone elses loses/crying, its not a win/fair.
Yeah, but the thing about him is that he's shown that he can just convince himself that he IS smiling and everyone else is losing/crying even when its the exact opposite of reality.

Like, I'm no psychologist but I don't think the narcissistic lesson we're getting from Trump is "he'll always hold out for the win" its that "he'll convince himself he did win no matter what happens."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but the thing about him is that he's shown that he can just convince himself that he IS smiling and everyone else is losing/crying even when its the exact opposite of reality.

Like, I'm no psychologist but I don't think the narcissistic lesson we're getting from Trump is "he'll always hold out for the win" its that "he'll convince himself he did win no matter what happens."

I'm reminded of a fairly well-known study that was done on an early doomsday cult a researcher had been keeping track of. The cult made super precise predictions about when the world would end (a couple years out). When the world didn't end, paradoxically a significant portion of the members actually became more devout believers. A bunch left too, but that so many stayed and clearly had the ability to turn literally any datum into something that confirms a pre-existing belief was the big takeaway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

STAC Goat posted:

This is fundamental to Turmp and it's what 90% of the media assholes do not get. It may not be immediate but he eventually rewires his brain so that whatever it is, he came out on top. He's even convinced himself he didn't actually say "grab em by the pussy" even though he did a public apology admitting it. Hell he probably doesn't believe the apology tape was actually him at this point.

e: not making that up

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/28/16710130/trump-says-access-hollywood-tape-fake

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Flesh Forge posted:

This is fundamental to Turmp and it's what 90% of the media assholes do not get. It may not be immediate but he eventually rewires his brain so that whatever it is, he came out on top. He's even convinced himself he didn't actually say "grab em by the pussy" even though he did a public apology admitting it. Hell he probably doesn't believe the apology tape was actually him at this point.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/28/16710130/trump-says-access-hollywood-tape-fake

I'm reminded of Kevin Smith's story about working with Prince and John Mulaney's bit about working with Mick Jagger; some people reach a point where they can't conceive of the world not conforming to their expectations. I've seen it hypothesized that Michael Jackson had the same problem: it took the shock of appearing before a judge to snap him out of it and possibly drove him to his death.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/22/politics/brett-mcgurk-resignation/index.html

the main political dude leading the coalition fighting isis in syria quit

trumps response

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1076655729820471296

also about mattis

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1076663817831153664

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

"So I accidentally Launched all the Nucks and now the world is a blasted Hellscape. The Fake News is making such a big deal out of this nothing event!"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Krakatoa erupts for the first time since the 19th century. Hundreds killed and wounded by the tsunami. A concert by the beach is wiped out on video. Very disturbing

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/22/indonesia-tsunami-least-20-dead-165-injured-waves-hit-beaches/

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Fingers crossed this isn't a repeat of the 2004 tsunami.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...f2ab_story.html

JFC. It’s like these right wing Op Ed ers just churn this stuff out from some GOP Mad Lib template without any sense of context or current objective reality.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Zwabu posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...f2ab_story.html

JFC. It’s like these right wing Op Ed ers just churn this stuff out from some GOP Mad Lib template without any sense of context or current objective reality.

I mean, if his point is that it won't hurt Trump with the only people he cares about, his base, he's 100% right. NOT doing the shutdown and abandoning the wall would have been catastrophic for him with those psychos. The only question is if it will hurt him among moderate Rs and Independents. Which is probable bordering on likely, although it's not impossible that they turn on the Ds at some point in the next two weeks if Schumer fucks up somehow.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Moderate Republicans no longer exist. If a person still supports Trump at this point, they're no longer moderate. To the extent that Trump has made personal loyalty to himself the only plank of the Republican party, there's no room left to be anything but an extremist.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

saintonan posted:

Moderate Republicans no longer exist. If a person still supports Trump at this point, they're no longer moderate. To the extent that Trump has made personal loyalty to himself the only plank of the Republican party, there's no room left to be anything but an extremist.

I was more using moderate as a synonym for "Rs who thought of Trump as a useful idiot to enable their desires," rather than true Trumpians/Open White Supremacists

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
It would be nice if those kind of numbers started to show up in the approval polls

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1076643588723888128

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

I was more using moderate as a synonym for "Rs who thought of Trump as a useful idiot to enable their desires," rather than true Trumpians/Open White Supremacists

If any of you actually know these people, try to talk to them about it, it's a weird form of willful self delusion.

"I just don't watch the news any more"

"Why not?"

"I can't handle it, there's too much going on"

"Well sure, ok, but you don't even look at written news? Nothing?"

"No, there are other things besides news"

You know they're lying but on some level, they are convincing themselves none of this is happening so they can feel good about voting R next time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

It would be nice if those kind of numbers started to show up in the approval polls

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1076643588723888128

Shocking that it's that high? That's basically the same as Macron's approval, and, while bad, that guy is mostly typical politician bad and not raving lunatic bad.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

or in votes

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
1https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1076852810103238656
2https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1076844920122556416
3https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1076676424310902784
4https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1076692624512233472
5https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1076239191380557824
6https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1076255584171819008
7https://twitter.com/politico/status/1076854989849534465
8https://twitter.com/politiCOHEN_/status/1076852552245882880
9https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1076849621568286729
10https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1076806309666795522
11https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1076849258614030336
12https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1076847419403501568
13https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1076846648880492545
14https://twitter.com/politico/status/1076849935738433536
15https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1076119139742375936
16https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/1076854758814687233
17https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1076504933644546055
18https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1076824264630767616
19https://twitter.com/RepJoeKennedy/status/1076467909629743104
20https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1076522756592754688
and lastly (there is audio to this so enable it)
https://i.imgur.com/qAgJMbK.mp4

Happy Holidays folks (donate in the D&D charity thread for gang tags!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

saintonan posted:

Moderate Democrats no longer exist. If a person still supports Obama at this point, they're no longer moderate. To the extent that Obma has made personal loyalty to himself the only plank of the Democratic party, there's no room left to be anything but an extremist.

You know the sand on the other side of the beach is just so smooth

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)