Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Empire State posted:

The Trump master conspiracy is just loving.. Trump is John Titor. Lol. What the gently caress is the Egyptian meme god stuff?

The God is named Kek so they worship it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

The God is named Kek so they worship it.

not only is it named Kek, but it's a frog

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, like, I'm sure someone somewhere has worried that satanists will eat their black cats or whatever, but some normal old animal shelter saying "wait till after halloween" to get a black cat is almost certainly way more worried you are just buying a costume prop than worrying satan will spread across the land.

(is there a name for reverse moral panic? where people interpret normal events as a sign of a great conspiracy of conspiracy theories?)

Well, that’s certainly a far more sane reason for doing it, and is probably the only reason any animal shelters today would ban Halloween adoptions of black cats.

But Snopes has collected many instances of people apparently believing that black cats shouldn’t be adopted out then because of evil Satanic cults:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cat-o-nine-tales/

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Topix also shut down unannounced (afaik)

Sounds ripe for a conspiracy theory imo

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

My lyft driver tried to “red pill” me today. 50 year old white dude literally pulled up 8chan on his phone while driving. 2018 kicks rear end

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chomskyan posted:

My lyft driver tried to “red pill” me today. 50 year old white dude literally pulled up 8chan on his phone while driving. 2018 kicks rear end

That's what you get for using scabs

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
e woops

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Sucrose posted:

Oh, I tend to think that Qanon is almost entirely rooted in the extreme ends of Evangelical Christianity. Someone upthread made an excellent summary of how these people’s minds work, in that to them all “bad/deviant” things are just different manifestations of the same Evil (which is usually Satan).

It’s why in these conspiracy theories it’s never just a ring of pedophiles operating out of a pizza parlor, no, it’s a ring of elite, Satanist, cannibalistic pedophiles who wear children’s faces as masks operating out of a pizza parlor. Because if this imaginary group of evil people is doing one evil thing, they’re probably doing even more unimaginably evil things as well. Because in the minds of this brand of conspiracy theorist, ultimately, “Satan” has to be the driving force behind all of the evil cabal’s actions, not run-of-the-mill perversion or greed. In the minds of these people, the acceptance of homosexuality, the increasing secularization of society, various real crimes and actual pedophile rings, and the supposed existence and power of a cannibalistic pedophiliac elite cabal, etc, can all be boiled down to simply “The increasing influence of Satan.” It’s a conspiracy absolutely rooted in Evangelicalism, especially extreme Evangelicalism with an end-of-days bent.

It was me! Thanks! But I actually think you're sort of conflating cause and effect. I do think there's an enormous amount of overlap between these folks and Evangelicals and that the form QAnon has taken is a result of American Protestantism and its issues, but I think the underlying issue is independent of American Christianity. The sort of childish mentality that views the world in such stark Good/Bad dichotomies is what produces things like American Protestantism and Qanon. But you see it in other cultures, too, and throughout history. It's my opinion that what we would call Conservatism is its most common manifestation, and fascism is basically what you get when poo poo starts to go sour and the mask slips.

Also Kek/Kuk is really dumb and - surprise surprise - a misreading/misunderstanding of Egyptian/Pre-Christian religion/mythology. Kuk is the god of 'chaos' in the sense of the pre-modern use of the term; the formless darkness/abyss/sea that existed prior to creation. It's a primordial god of non-being, not a trickster god of chaos.
Although, really, a vacuous rift that needs to be removed before anything meaningful can exist is a pretty good summation of the problem here.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kek is "lol" in World of warcraft orcish

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Chomskyan posted:

Always respond with the true Red Pill :ussr:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I think a lot of them bought the "Trump is actually a complete outsider, he's not a politician, he's just a regular person like you and me if you think about it" propaganda pretty early on. Conspiracy fiction is full of characters like this, who, because they are outsiders, are able to cut through the politics and bureaucracy, and expose the snake politicians for who they really are. They really want to be the hard-working Joe Everyman who stands up to the evil government conspiracy and comes out on top, so they desperately cling onto a fictional version of Trump that resembles this archetype, who's working really hard behind the scenes, and is going to tear this whole thing down! Any day now! When, in reality, he's just a bumbling corrupt idiot who is perfectly willing to go along with whatever evil bullshit is brought before him, as long as he personally benefits from it.

How are you so loving incredibly stupid and out of touch that you can be working-to-middle class and believe you have anything in loving common with a really lovely millionaire who covers everything in gold and his name, and has never actually worked in his life?

That is the most insane brainworm of all to me

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Someone (can't remember if it was here or somewhere else) said that how Trump uses money is how a lot of dumb people imagine they would use money if ("when") they get rich. "Hell yeah if I had a billion dollars I'd make everything solid gold and put my name on everything I owned, too!"

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Moon Slayer posted:

Someone (can't remember if it was here or somewhere else) said that how Trump uses money is how a lot of dumb people imagine they would use money if ("when") they get rich. "Hell yeah if I had a billion dollars I'd make everything solid gold and put my name on everything I owned, too!"

John Mulaney. He had a bit about Trump being a hobo's idea of a rich person.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Yeah, "Trump is what a poor person thinks rich people are like" was the corollary to the old "Newt Gingrich* sounds the way stupid people think smart people sound like" line

*Pick your favorite right wing pseudo-intellectual really, from Bill Buckley through Jordan Peterson

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

How are you so loving incredibly stupid and out of touch that you can be working-to-middle class and believe you have anything in loving common with a really lovely millionaire who covers everything in gold and his name, and has never actually worked in his life?

The people who are dumb enough to think Trump is the daddy who will solve everything are also dumb enough to believe his “self-made man” narrative, when in fact the record shows that he’s always been tremendously incompetent and most of his money came from his dad giving him cash or bailing him out of bad decisions until his death about 15 years ago.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Chomskyan posted:

I would love to hear more about that entire exchange.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

I blame this show.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Chomskyan posted:

Yes please share more of this :allears:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Kek is "lol" in World of warcraft orcish

This is where the whole thing originated.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

packetmantis posted:

This is where the whole thing originated.

kek is korean onomatopoeia for laughing, starcraft has a big korean presence so most people saw people typing "kek" a lot in that game, then world of warcaft had a word filter so if you talk to the enemy team you just see gibberish, they made "lol" filter as "kek" as a goof.

Edit: I don't think I really ever made the connection it's always had to xenophobia specifically, where it was first the hallmark of a non english speaker in a game where that could be mildly annoying since the game was pre "communicate any way but text" then made into the literal evil foreigner enemy's language.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 23, 2018

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Edit: I don't think I really ever made the connection it's always had to xenophobia specifically, where it was first the hallmark of a non english speaker in a game where that could be mildly annoying since the game was pre "communicate any way but text" then made into the literal evil foreigner enemy's language.

The problem, I think, with this reading of kek's cultural importance is that chuds seem to prefer to play AS the horde.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BardoTheConsumer posted:

The problem, I think, with this reading of kek's cultural importance is that chuds seem to prefer to play AS the horde.

Sure, but I don't think I've ever made the connection that it's always had a xenophobic tone . Like koreans playing on the north america server instead of the asia server typically didn't have a great reputation, and were regarded as a nuisance to play with in any team mode but any sort of gameplay concern got instantly absorbed into just "lets be racist" then the WoW thing cast it as literally the alien other enemy, so it's not really super surprising it's a key codeword for a racist xenophobic group. Both things is was before this was that too, in lesser terms.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think WoW did the "filter text and make lol into kek" for both sides; for those playing the Horde, it would be Alliance people who would be saying kek in their pov

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think WoW did the "filter text and make lol into kek" for both sides; for those playing the Horde, it would be Alliance people who would be saying kek in their pov

Nah, other way was "bur", which I am pretty sure was not hand set and was just the natural application of the filter.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Chomskyan posted:

grass him up

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
Okay, I remember seeing "kekekeke" in the past, so that makes sense. A chud version of "for the lols." I get that it sounds a bit like an Egyptian god, but do some of these crazies attach weird mysticism to it or is that all just goofiness?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Empire State posted:

Okay, I remember seeing "kekekeke" in the past, so that makes sense. A chud version of "for the lols." I get that it sounds a bit like an Egyptian god, but do some of these crazies attach weird mysticism to it or is that all just goofiness?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kek_%28mythology%29?wprov=sfla1

I would say that probably falls under a split. You have people who parrot it as a meme but, as QAnon and pizzagate and all of the 'meme magic' stuff of 2016 indicates, you probably also have true believers who delusionally see a significant pattern that isn't there

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Empire State posted:

My feeling on 'meme magic' and the Kek stuff - and by all I may be wrong since I'm less versed in this aspect of modern Nazism than others - is that it's a lot like how this current branch of Nazism was back when it first started on 4chan. Like most of the people going on about it are just shitposting and being 'ironic' but you probably have a small minority that sincerely believe and, over time, it may or may not become an accepted and mainstream position within the community.

I do think that when people say '4chan was always like this, you just got more woke' are kind of wrong. 4chan was originally mostly idiots shitposting ironic racism and just trying to be edgy and shocking.That is still unacceptable, awful, regressive, and bad in many and for many reasons but it's - and this is important - *different* from what 4chan is now, which is sincere and earnest racism and Nazism. At some point over the last decade, and I honestly don't know enough 4chan history to guess when, things shifted and the racism and Nazism became what people actually believed, rather than what they pretended to believe to get cheap rises out of people.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.

The Narrator posted:

'meme magic'

I think this is a pretty good lead for me, actually. It led me to this SPLC article, Explaining the Alt-Right ‘Deity’ of Their ‘Meme Magic’.

I don't have a great grasp on the crazier aspects of the Trumpist mythos. Developed a bit of an aversion to it all around 2016 and I'm trying to catch back up.

edit:
I think the thing that's really getting me is that it's almost like FFVII House levels of delusion, with the kek stuff being ironic but also real because they believed in it hard enough, or something like that. It's the fascist Mandela Effect. Mengele Effect? I also didn't know their flag was a 1:1 ripoff of the Nazi war flag.

vez veces fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 23, 2018

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Empire State posted:

I think this is a pretty good lead for me, actually. It led me to this SPLC article, Explaining the Alt-Right ‘Deity’ of Their ‘Meme Magic’.

I don't have a great grasp on the crazier aspects of the Trumpist mythos. Developed a bit of an aversion to it all around 2016 and I'm trying to catch back up.

edit:
I think the thing that's really getting me is that it's almost like FFVII House levels of delusion, with the kek stuff being ironic but also real because they believed in it hard enough, or something like that. It's the fascist Mandela Effect. Mengele Effect? I also didn't know their flag was a 1:1 ripoff of the Nazi war flag.

It’s probably maybe 5% of the posters on 4chan talking about “meme magic” who actually believe in it whatsoever and aren’t just being ironic/going along with something even though they know it’s ridiculous. I wouldn’t put too much stake in it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Even among Nazis you usually have only a minority that's into the REALLY bizarre mysticism. Look at Himmler and his romantic, idealistic, mysticism compared to the other more 'sane' Nazis, for example.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I saw a homemade Q sign off of I 90/94 in central Wisconsin today. I tried to explain to my wife what Q was and failed because it's too disorganized and stupid to say out loud and she had to look up on Wikipedia.

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

At some point over the last decade, and I honestly don't know enough 4chan history to guess when, things shifted and the racism and Nazism became what people actually believed, rather than what they pretended to believe to get cheap rises out of people.

IIRC, in 2015-ish there were multiple copy-pasted conspiracy/racebaiting/feminazi threads being posted multiple times a day. It was around the time I quit checking in on /b/, but the pushback against them (mostly calling out the OP for reposting the same thread over and over, often without response) gave up and it just became accepted background noise.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Sucrose posted:

It’s probably maybe 5% of the posters on 4chan talking about “meme magic” who actually believe in it whatsoever and aren’t just being ironic/going along with something even though they know it’s ridiculous. I wouldn’t put too much stake in it.

I've had some limited interaction with a person who actually took the "magic" part of it seriously and, uh, hooo boy.

To preface this, I'm a horrible nerd who studies and dabbles in occult stuff in his spare time, mostly just out of intellectual curiosity and general boredom. (Usually I hover around "Dick around with tarot symbolism and read really boring Nevill Drury books"-level involvement.) About a year ago, I met someone through friends of friends who claimed to be very well-versed in Chaos Magick. I was interested, because that's not a super-popular occult framework nowadays, so I struck up a conversation.

It quickly went south when he started talking about how he takes a lot of credit for the election of Donald Trump, because he was involved in the creation of "some of the earliest Pepe memes". According to him, he really wanted Donald Trump to be elected because he thought it would be funny, and he "really concentrated and infused his memes with that energy", and that rippled out into the universe at large when it was reposted so many times. And then, boom, Trump was elected! See, it worked!! Isn't this hilarious!?

So, essentially, they believe in a version of The Secret, but combined with the "repeat a lie enough times..." maxim. It's stupid as hell, and this is coming from someone who thinks that Aleister Crowley had some interesting ideas.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Alliance chats are way more of a pepe cesspool because they can play aryan paladins, and they're still extremely mad about not getting blue-eyed elves. Horde is more just garden variety shitheads.

Eox fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 23, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Even among Nazis you usually have only a minority that's into the REALLY bizarre mysticism. Look at Himmler and his romantic, idealistic, mysticism compared to the other more 'sane' Nazis, for example.
gently caress Heinrich Himmler for ruining perfectly sane (until he started using them) symbols. RIP Swastika, Black Sun and Armanen runes.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 23, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I have to admit Shadilay is pretty weird.

Why the talk about nazis? Every Q supporter knows (((Hitler))) was a Rothschild puppet.

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

My feeling on 'meme magic' and the Kek stuff - and by all I may be wrong since I'm less versed in this aspect of modern Nazism than others - is that it's a lot like how this current branch of Nazism was back when it first started on 4chan. Like most of the people going on about it are just shitposting and being 'ironic' but you probably have a small minority that sincerely believe and, over time, it may or may not become an accepted and mainstream position within the community.

I do think that when people say '4chan was always like this, you just got more woke' are kind of wrong. 4chan was originally mostly idiots shitposting ironic racism and just trying to be edgy and shocking.That is still unacceptable, awful, regressive, and bad in many and for many reasons but it's - and this is important - *different* from what 4chan is now, which is sincere and earnest racism and Nazism. At some point over the last decade, and I honestly don't know enough 4chan history to guess when, things shifted and the racism and Nazism became what people actually believed, rather than what they pretended to believe to get cheap rises out of people.

/r9k/ was the first to fall, in 2009, 2010 it was a place where lonely anons complained about "tfw no gf" and "feels", but you actually had a varied userbase there, even there were some femanons giving advice to the nerds.

After 2011-ish, the place turned into MRA/women hating central and started spreading slowly to the rest of the boards, moot started /pol/ as a containment board, to stop the stormfront idiots from derailing threads, like /pony/ before it.

Gamergate was the pivotal moment, where the non-ironic gamers who took themselves and their hobbie too seriously migrated to /v/, /pol/ and /r9k/, before that, anyone who identified themselves as a "gamer" was mocked to no end and driven off.

Around 2011-2013, 4chan was becoming more mainstream, thanks to some internet-friendly memes like doge, rustled jimmies, feels, pepe, etc... Some people on /r9k/ started making offensive, violent and racist pepe edits to take it back from the "normies" who were ruining the site.

Here's a good read about it:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/vvbjbx/4chans-frog-meme-went-mainstream-so-they-tried-to-kill-it

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think Hitler even existed. Like, have you ever met him? Have you done the science yourself or do you just believe he existed because other people tell you that he did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I don't think Hitler even existed. Like, have you ever met him? Have you done the science yourself or do you just believe he existed because other people tell you that he did?

I really like this approach.