Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
poo poo, that line of Rikka's was "wherever you go, you're with me," not "you're like me." That doesn't even make sense and it's a little bit of a de-gaying. Yes the rest of the scene is gay as poo poo but that just makes the error stand out more because it has nothing to do with anything else Rikka is saying.

Finale was real good but that one took me out of it for a second.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, idle thought: The show's kind of coy about why Gridman chose Yuta to inhabit, but I'm going to say just based off the shot of him sitting by himself and looking at Rikka that I think Akane maybe created Yuta as an avatar of the things she didn't like about herself? Lonely, friendless, impotent crush on Rikka? Someone she can always favorably compare her idealized self to. We might not ever get a definitive answer, but that makes a lot of sense to me.

I am a little mixed on Akane having to leave the Gridworld forever, though, especially since by all appearances it still exists and has its own agency. Akane might be able to go score with Real!Rikka or whatever, but it feels a little dismissive of Grid!Rikka's agency to have to put aside her feelings for Akane, IMO.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Good end to the series. Big fan of the care bear stare as a finishing move.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My little pet theory: I thought that real!Akane looked a lot more like virtual!Rikka than virtual!Akane. What if she swapped their appearances whilst in the virtual world? Basically taking real!Rikka's spot in her fantasy in every way except for name.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Gridman was trending in Japan, as both the first and second slots
https://m.imgur.com/y4abRVO

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gridman Good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Put Gridman In Super Robot Wars

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ending felt a bit rushed in places but was amazing and that final shot and Rikka and Akane's final talk were real good. Probably my third favorite show of the year just behind Yuru Camp and YoriMoi

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

Thinking about how hyped I'll get when the map music changes to a midi of the Gridman hero theme

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Great finale, I especially liked the use of the original theme song, the armor falling off to reveal the OG Gridman and there was even a little live action segment at the very end.

While I wouldn't mind another season with a new cast this was pretty consistently good from start to finish with the slight exception of the lake episode (but even that at least had some funny moments).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Last episode was cool, but yeah seemed a bit rushed, also the first time I've felt I'd have gotten more out of it if I knew anything about the original Gridman lol

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Echoing that it did feel a tad rushed, and that I wish there was a 13th episode to smooth things out, but otherwise I'm quite satisfied with that finale. It was an extremely blunt method but I'm glad defeating Alexis was about fixing Akane's heart after all. Everything seemed to be leading up to that anyways, but sometimes you worry for no reason. :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

He and Big O have to be in the same game.

Wanna see Roger try Negotiating with Akane

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I have to admit I am very, very slightly disappointed they seemed to take the easiest and most predictable path (subtext aside) but the execution was pretty much flawless so it was still great.

I really want Keiichi Hasegawa to write more shows.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Related to Akane and the end sequence: the live-action girl at the end is played Yume Miyamoto, Rikka's voice actress.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 22, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, idle thought: The show's kind of coy about why Gridman chose Yuta to inhabit, but I'm going to say just based off the shot of him sitting by himself and looking at Rikka that I think Akane maybe created Yuta as an avatar of the things she didn't like about herself? Lonely, friendless, impotent crush on Rikka? Someone she can always favorably compare her idealized self to. We might not ever get a definitive answer, but that makes a lot of sense to me.

Earlier in the show I thought that Akane had a bit of a crush on Yuta. Even before he is a Gridman suspect she seems especially nice to him (and it would make more sense as to how horribly the “special dog” moment was ruined from her perspective).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Agronox posted:

Earlier in the show I thought that Akane had a bit of a crush on Yuta. Even before he is a Gridman suspect she seems especially nice to him (and it would make more sense as to how horribly the “special dog” moment was ruined from her perspective).

I thought the same at points, but if that were the case you'd expect that little flashback we get to put more emphasis on Akane looking at Yuta rather than Yuta at Rikka, right?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I thought the same at points, but if that were the case you'd expect that little flashback we get to put more emphasis on Akane looking at Yuta rather than Yuta at Rikka, right?

Yep. It’s a little ambiguous. I won’t get to a rewatch anytime soon but I think it will be fun to look for more info on this once I finally do.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Hogama posted:

Related to Akane and the end sequence: the live-action girl at the end is played Yume Miyamoto, Rikka's voice actress.

Well, that kind of seals the deal, especially given the role reversal in the dream with in a dream episode.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Pretty much everything people speculated would be a cool thing to do happened in this episode. I can't really think of anything that would have improved it significantly.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think its pretty classic misdirection, honestly. Both Akane and Rikka at a first glance serve as classical love interests for Yuta, almost his Rei and Asuka. However, instead of either having feelings for him, in the end they have feelings for each other. Yuta himself almost seems like a cipher to be projected onto, or as mentioned previously everything Akane finds weak about herself. So when her simulated dream girl spends plenty of time with her simulated coalescence of faults, it's pretty understandable that Akane only has one reaction.

"You're spending a lot of time with Yuta. Why?"

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

Agreed.

And it was a good ending, properly hot-blooded and somber all at once.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Suddenly live-action ending.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ultraklystron posted:

Well, that kind of seals the deal, especially given the role reversal in the dream with in a dream episode.
Actually scratch that, apparently it's Akane Sakanoue instead; she played Asuna Yamase in Ultraman X
My bad. :shobon:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
So its literally Akane. That's brilliant.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I am a little mixed on Akane having to leave the Gridworld forever, though, especially since by all appearances it still exists and has its own agency. Akane might be able to go score with Real!Rikka or whatever, but it feels a little dismissive of Grid!Rikka's agency to have to put aside her feelings for Akane, IMO.

The Grid-World is the inside of Akane's head, and Grid-Rikka is her self-esteem and emotional intelligence. It has about as much agency as the world of Cells at Work. She can't stay cooped up inside herself with the only person who loves her being a displaced extension of herself - she needs to find other people. That's why Grid-Rikka said she hopes they never meet again - if she needs self-esteem, that's fine, but if she needs a personified Grid-Rikka, she's in trouble.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 22, 2018

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

The Grid-World is the inside of Akane's head, and Grid-Rikka is her self-esteem and emotional intelligence. It has about as much agency as the world of Cells at Work. She can't stay cooped up inside herself with the only person who loves her being a displaced extension of herself - she needs to find other people. That's why Grid-Rikka said she hopes they never meet again - if she needs self-esteem, that's fine, but if she needs a personified Grid-Rikka, she's in trouble.

Yeah, if Akane comes back to the grid-world it would be because she found her own world so unbearable she had to run away from it all over again. Although whether the world is entirely in her own head or not is a matter of interpretation. In Gridman it's just a thing that electronic devices have parallel cyber-worlds in them with kaiju and cyber-cities and poo poo. The world could "exist" independently of Akane if Trigger ever want to do anything else with it.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Decided to try watching this, is there anything I ought to know about the original Gridman to make this show work better or is it fine to go in completely ignorant?

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
There's one character and one moment at the end that's better appreciated if you know the original, but I went in blind and absolutely loved the ride, so going in ignorant is fine.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, if Akane comes back to the grid-world it would be because she found her own world so unbearable she had to run away from it all over again. Although whether the world is entirely in her own head or not is a matter of interpretation. In Gridman it's just a thing that electronic devices have parallel cyber-worlds in them with kaiju and cyber-cities and poo poo. The world could "exist" independently of Akane if Trigger ever want to do anything else with it.

I think that this show specifically made it the inside of her head, though. It was intimately tied into Akane's emotional state, and there were no electronic devices in the real world that could have served as a bridge to it - she woke up, she didn't log off a computer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terry van Feleday posted:

Decided to try watching this, is there anything I ought to know about the original Gridman to make this show work better or is it fine to go in completely ignorant?

Go in blind. Maybe have a cursory look at the original Gridman OP or something. This show borrow's Gridman's aesthetic more than anything else, and has major differences in its premise. Gridman fixed computers. SSSS.Gridman fixes people.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Terry van Feleday posted:

You don't need any familiarity with the original Gridman at all to watch SSSS. There's only a couple of genuine tie-in moments and it doesn't really impact the story at all if you don't know the context behind them. There's also a metric ton of *wink, wink* reference moments, but there's also a ton of references to like, every Ultra series, Neon Genesis Evangelion and basically everything Trigger's ever done so I really don't think it'd benefit you to try and watch everything the show references.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Some familiarity with NGE would help, though. It's telling a story about the same topic using the same language, even if the plot is quite different - I know there's been a bunch of folks off-site who weren't familiar with that particular kind of cinematic storytelling and couldn't figure out what this show was trying to do.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that this show specifically made it the inside of her head, though. It was intimately tied into Akane's emotional state, and there were no electronic devices in the real world that could have served as a bridge to it - she woke up, she didn't log off a computer.

I think you're maybe taking the waking up scene a bit too literally

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I think you're maybe taking the waking up scene a bit too literally

I assumed that the whole point of it was that It was where we discarded the metaphors and saw what was literally happening. That tends to be the purpose of cutting from animation to live footage.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The problem I have with this is that the analogy kind of loses its cohesion when all these disparate parts of themselves have clearly articulated desires and interests and personalities, and get in fights with or make friends or make crushes on each other. Their personalities feel too independently defined to write off as just individual aspects of Akane’s personality. Especially since the show strongly suggests that they continue to exist in the form we recognize even after Akane wakes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

The problem I have with this is that the analogy kind of loses its cohesion when all these disparate parts of themselves have clearly articulated desires and interests and personalities, and get in fights with or make friends or make crushes on each other. Their personalities feel too independently defined to write off as just individual aspects of Akane’s personality. Especially since the show strongly suggests that they continue to exist in the form we recognize even after Akane wakes

Again, it's just like Cells at Work or Inside Out. They're all the little crew members of the vessel that is Akane.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I assumed that the whole point of it was that It was where we discarded the metaphors and saw what was literally happening. That tends to be the purpose of cutting from animation to live footage.

I figure you can interpret it as metaphorically or literally as you need to. Given the show constantly references events happening outside of Akane's knowledge and sight I think there's plenty of evidence to argue that the world exists independently of Akane as an original Gridman style cyber world. On the other hand you can also interpret it as Akane's fragmented psyche following dream-logic so Akane the person isn't necessarily aware of every event happening in her own extended dream.The question would only need answering if Trigger ever felt the need to make another show based in that world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Again, it's just like Cells at Work or Inside Out. They're all the little crew members of the vessel that is Akane.

Yeah and I’d describe all of the characters in those as characters, too, not as abstract avatars that don’t have true independent wants or personalities

I mean yeah it’s all academic unless we ever revisit these characters, which I doubt. Just sayin’