Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I assumed that the whole point of it was that It was where we discarded the metaphors and saw what was literally happening. That tends to be the purpose of cutting from animation to live footage.

Or, you know, cutting from one layer of reality to another. That's also pretty common. They did it on the Simpsons, even. Multiple times.

If none of the cast is "real", then their struggles and Akane's guilt have much less meaning. The show ending with them still existing in a growing, expanded world means nothing, showing Anti be saved means nothing, and Gridman being from outside is more confusing than ever.

On the other hand, if she somehow (probably due to Alexis) was taken into a place that existed to build a "real" world, then the whole narrative is much cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah and I’d describe all of the characters in those as characters, too, not as abstract avatars that don’t have true independent wants or personalities

I mean yeah it’s all academic unless we ever revisit these characters, which I doubt. Just sayin’

Right, but it'd still be a bit weird to have, say, Riley retreating into herself and hanging out with Joy, no?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, but it'd still be a bit weird to have, say, Riley retreating into herself and hanging out with Joy, no?

Sure, but that analogy at least works better because those characters are never framed interacting directly with each other. The difference in their natures feels more real and less arbitrary when they don’t and can’t talk or fight or flirt with each other. That Rikka and Akane can and do makes the analogy orders of magnitude fuzzier.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ending was real good, only thing i wish had happened but didn't was a gridman vs gridknight fight

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
I'm glad Anti started and remained a good boy all the way to the end. I visibly winced at the fast cut to Alexis stabbing him though. At least he made it out okay. :unsmith:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If anyone didn't notice, SSSS in this show stands for Special Signature to Save a Soul.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ssss stands for

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1076563981261783041?s=19

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheFireMagi posted:

I'm glad Anti started and remained a good boy all the way to the end. I visibly winced at the fast cut to Alexis stabbing him though. At least he made it out okay. :unsmith:

In the end, he's still a kaiju. But one that believes in paying his debts.

Which, in retrospect, connects to something that makes more sense now that we know that Yuta was Gridman. It wasn't Yuta who was getting paid back, after all.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There's plenty of good kaiju. Pigmon!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Translation for audio drama 2.9 that came with with first BD is up. Apparently 12.12 will be on BD 2.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Part of the original concept of Denkou Choujin Gridman was that there are multiple realities; the "Real World" which is our universe, more or less; the "Computer World", an adjacent dimension accessible from and tied to, well, computers of the Real World; and the "Hyper World" which, while never shown, is where Gridman originates as a member some kind of law-eforcing/peacekeeping organization, and is adjacent to the Computer World. The original series villain, Khan Digifier, was a criminal who escaped from Hyper World and used the human antagonist of the show, Takeshi, as an intermediary to cause havoc across the Computer World with kaiju he created in the Real World (that got digitized by Khan). The Computer World is a "real" place, with its own inhabitants (including native kaiju), though they're pretty rarely seen as the action is usually focused on the Real World being disrupted by Takeshi messing with the Computer World (and then Gridman fixing things in the process of defeating the kaiju of the week; Fixer Beam is actually one of the most common tools of his arsenal).

Apparently, Alexis Kerib is from a fourth world, the Makai World. While they've left plenty of speculative space, I take the events to mean that through Alexis's intervention, Akane was able to create an ideal facsimile of the Real World in the Computer World. But she's not the omnipotent kind of god - after making things, her only means of "editing" is through lethal kaiju application. And once given life, her creations are kind of left to their own devices - they have free will, despite their intended initial states of "loving Akane". Yuta seems to have been chosen by Gridman not only due to being close to Akane spatially in class, but because he wasn't fixated on her (crushing on Rikka instead). Meanwhile, Anosillus the 2nd is the daughter of one of the original residents of the Computer World (a kaiju that Gridman saved in the original show) which, along with the parent Anosillus appearing, probably means to point to Akane's work being an overlay/rework of Computer World. Everything continues on without Akane's direct intervention because it's as "real" as anything else.

Everything works as a metaphor for Akane's own self and problems, too, of course; at minimum because she based everything on what she knows. In this sense, her dream with Rikka and the ED are very, very probably based on her history in the Real World. Everything fell apart in the Rikka dream at summer, Akane's world is in perpetual "summer" despite the months, Akane tells Yuta she likes graveyards in the summer. Perhaps in the Real World, some trauma around summertime drove her to Alexis? When her heart is healed and she leaves, it's winter. Rikka is seen alone in the ED in a winter scene. (Whether it's relevant or not, the limited edition cover pack for buying the whole BD collection on Amazon is Rikka and Akane in winter clothes.) Still, there's a lot of room left for interpretation (say, if you read Alexis as Akane's depression, then you note that he's only sealed and not destroyed). Any which way, hopefully Akane can love herself.

chiasaur11 posted:

In the end, he's still a kaiju. But one that believes in paying his debts.

His one eye being blue like a lot of the normal people of Akane's world seems to point to him being at least half-human now :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jesus, that was really good

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Hah! I was spot on about Alexis! His master plan really was to just be a toku villain who blows up the city every week. Only it's taken to it's logical conclusion that it's not endearing like Lord Zedd, it's horrifying and monstrous.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I have no words. I went in expecting little more than some good ol' toku kaiju combat with Trigger animation, and I left with heartbreak and heartfix.

Thank you, Gridman.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hogama posted:

His one eye being blue like a lot of the normal people of Akane's world seems to point to him being at least half-human now :v:

It actually matches the NGE guys :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I caught up with the show after continuing to hear praise for it but almost the whole thing fell entirely flat for me, this ending included.

It's a shame, I thought I would've liked it more since I remember enjoying Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad as a young kid but oh well, what can you do.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I caught up with the show after continuing to hear praise for it but almost the whole thing fell entirely flat for me, this ending included.

It's a shame, I thought I would've liked it more since I remember enjoying Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad as a young kid but oh well, what can you do.

Have taste?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

This is a whole thing unto itself, despite having connections to the original show, so it's not unreasonable to be taken aback by what this was.

I will say though that while I like the sentiment the show went for, I wish the show was clearer about the nature of the world because trying to parse what the gently caress was going on really disctracted from the thematic core of the show. It was enjoyable going in blind but I feel like I missed out on a significant chunk of the experience.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

It actually matches the NGE guys :v:

Yup. I think the Hyper Dimension is recruiting...

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I totally want a future gridman anime to have akaneism as a religion among her creations or something. Worshiping Akane as a creator god and seeing Gridman and Alexis as forces of good and evil.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/G1_BARI/status/1076514645119094785

The Obari plagiarism stuff seemed overblown and glad things got worked out

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I loved it and, honestly? I'm really glad they ultimately didn't explain the world. This was a very cool show, and one of my favourites this year. I didn't see that coming at all, which I'm sure I've repeated to death. The theories were great, and it was so satisfying seeing a lot of predicted points get executed near flawlessly. I'm going to miss this show, but I'm hoping it's not too long until we see something else from, ideally, the same team (with a reasonable break in between shows, of course!).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like they explained the world exactly as much as they needed to between Alexis' speech and the visual stuff we've been seeing all series long

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It wasn't a concrete explanation, but definitely just enough. I was worried we may have ended up with a scene dedicated to telling us exactly what the world is. We can figure out the rest, and there's enough that we can still clearly interpret it in different ways.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I am a little mixed on Akane having to leave the Gridworld forever, though, especially since by all appearances it still exists and has its own agency. Akane might be able to go score with Real!Rikka or whatever, but it feels a little dismissive of Grid!Rikka's agency to have to put aside her feelings for Akane, IMO.

Yeah, it left a little bit of bitterness for me but not in a way that ruins the show or anything, it just isn't something I personally like.

Despite that and it feeling a bit rushed, overall I liked the last episode and I'm really happy it managed to stick the landing. Probably my favorite anime of the year! I'm happy it dealt with the themes it did in the way it did. It reminded me of the game Anodyne, a bit.

In the end, I'd be happy with Gridman: Season 2 with a new cast. Or hell, Gridman: Season 2 with the same cast if the writers decided they had some other ideas. But I'd also be happy with this being it for the story, and I think that's a good place to be.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 23, 2018

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like they explained the world exactly as much as they needed to between Alexis' speech and the visual stuff we've been seeing all series long

It's a very barebones structure. A complete-enough one to get the story and themes through, sure, but super barebones. Idk, maybe it was the pacing of the last couple episodes. I know all the pieces are there and I get how they fit together but it just isn't doing it for me like it is for a lot of the thread.

But I do agree that this show was an excellent production. Great cinematography and directing throughout, and I loved the animations for all the fight scenes. It's a great show overall.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I agree this last ep felt rushed but I really, really enjoyed it nonetheless. They didn't answer all the questions, but they left enough info lying around that people could figure out most of the stuff that didn't need to be said aloud. Like how this was basically confirmed to be in continuity with the original Gridman show, just telling a different story with new characters. The same Hyper Agent, though, with the same VA and the same powers. I love that of all the ways this could've ended, the answer to beat Alexis was this:

http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/File:KingGridFixerBeam.gif

Except aimed at fixing the person who was broken, allowing Gridman to establish a direct link between her and the Computer World friends she made, who only want to help her be happy.

Without knowledge of the original Girdman show, the Fixer Beam comes off as kind of a weird but endearingly earnest rear end-pull, but with that knowledge it's just "oh that's right, he has Fixer Beam!", and it's probably the one downside of going into this mostly fresh.

And both thematically, as well as a nod to its predecessor, I loved how at the very, very end it switched to live action.

Is it just me or does Real!Akane actually look like Rikka? And intentionally so.

Runa fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 23, 2018

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
good show

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Xarbala posted:

Is it just me or does Real!Akane actually look like Rikka? And intentionally so.
The live action Akane is played by Rikka's voice actor.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 23, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah the context of Fixer Beam being an actual thing Gridman did all the time in the original show is really the only connective tissue you're absolutely missing out on going in to this show blind. Everything else is pretty self-evident. People know what cyberspace looks like in 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The live action Akane is played by Rikka's voice actor.

This was noted false just a few posts later, but her name is also Akane...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

last ep def felt like it could have been 2 but I really liked gridman and I'm glad it mostly stuck the landing

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Not sure if this is from the episode being vague or from my not being familiar with the previous Gridman live-action, but it feels kind of nebulous as to how much is fixed by the Fixer Beam. Like, we see it restoring the city and the whole world, and hear how it's more-or-less powered by the Potential of Humanity to make all things right. So how far does that go? Is it just fixing buildings and world geography, or are Tonkawa and the volleyball team alive again? The way the Fixer Beam is presented suggests yes, but Akane's continuing guilt suggests no, and the ep seems to leave it ambiguous.

Would knowing more about Fixer Beam clear that up, or no?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I mean, even if Gridman did fix everything, Akane still did all of that murdering in the first place. Its like how stabbing Yuta was still stabbing Yuta, and that marked the point where Akane had basically lost any will to continue her life in this fantasy world. He didn't need to literally die for Akane to basically break over it.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

The Bee posted:

I mean, even if Gridman did fix everything, Akane still did all of that murdering in the first place. Its like how stabbing Yuta was still stabbing Yuta, and that marked the point where Akane had basically lost any will to continue her life in this fantasy world. He didn't need to literally die for Akane to basically break over it.
That's certainly true, but irrespective of Akane's responsibility for doing the stabbing, from the perspective of Rikka, Utsumi, and the other inhabitants of the world, it's still important to know whether Yuta died as a result of being stabbed or not, and i'd say the same extends to the others (well, maybe not the vloggers).

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Apraxin posted:

That's certainly true, but irrespective of Akane's responsibility for doing the stabbing, from the perspective of Rikka, Utsumi, and the other inhabitants of the world, it's still important to know whether Yuta died as a result of being stabbed or not, and i'd say the same extends to the others (well, maybe not the vloggers).

Oh, no doubt that's important. I was just referring to Akane's lingering guilt. For the rest of the city, it absolutely matters if anyone lived or died. Considering Anosillus specifically mentioned she saved Anti's life, though, I'm thinking there were likely lingering consequences. After all, it's the Fixer Beam, not the Fixer Everyone Except For Anti Beam.

On the other hand, Anti's rocking a brand new eye, and I don't think that's part of Anosillus' power set. So maybe she just kept him stable so he survived until the Fixer Beam fixed everything.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 23, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man I didn't even think about the implications of that shot of the Earth after the Fixer Beam until I watched the episode a second time

it sure does look like the computer world is an entire copy of Earth now, meaning people can actually leave the city

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Blockhouse posted:

Man I didn't even think about the implications of that shot of the Earth after the Fixer Beam until I watched the episode a second time

it sure does look like the computer world is an entire copy of Earth now, meaning people can actually leave the city

Well we already know the green cyber city existed outside "the city" for a while and has been their since the original series, I think "nothing exists outside the city" means that the fantasy world Akane made consists of the city and nothing else. Like how in video game level if you glitch out of bounds you find that the sky is actually just a sky-box and the world just ends, but that doesn't mean there aren't other levels.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

yeah the context of Fixer Beam being an actual thing Gridman did all the time in the original show is really the only connective tissue you're absolutely missing out on going in to this show blind. Everything else is pretty self-evident. People know what cyberspace looks like in 2018

The original also adds some context for what Anosillus' (the kaiju girl) deal is (her dad was a monster that lived in cyberspace, Gridman saved him once). But yeah, while this is technically a sequel you don't really need much knowledge of the original to enjoy it (it does help in a few areas though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So, it's was all a dream....