Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
the full moon a red and gleaming rear end in a top hat distended in the sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
seriously though i am going to assassinate rothfuss

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
with words, i hope

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
As ill-suited/bad as Erika and Rothfuss are at their jobs, I suppose it's a good thing that they didn't switch professions.

"It was a silicone shark vagina in three parts...."

"Each tenga egg is like an instrument, waiting to be learned, loved, and finely played with, to have at last its own true music made."

"This this strawberry lube smells so good, it's making me stupid."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm impressed by how accurately Rothfuss managed to capture the feeling of lovely teenaged fanfiction despite being the actual author of the book. The vague, undefined space where the characters just kinda hang out together when they aren't being written about, the stupid snarky Whedon-y voice that he gave all of them because this is Comedy, the fact that they're all talking about Kinsey scores and polyamory... it's a heady brew.

Also "takes the reigns" :rolleyes:

The book also accurately captures the feeling of lovely teenage fiction (because that's what at least some of it is) so it's not too surprising this does too.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

with words, i hope
in silence

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I bet GRRM would actually write a detailed cannibalistic feast with great gusto.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
GRRM has written a ton of legitimate books, especially before Game of Thrones. Which people would still suck the dick of if it wasn't so popular.

Go read Dying of the Light. And uh.... Windhaven, I guess? And... poo poo, I really thought he wrote more good books. Still, not worth grouping with Rothfuss.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm still amused that Brandon Sanderson originally wanted to name his third Stormlight Archive book "Stones Unhallowed", but then decided not to do it. Because he didn't want to "compete" with the upcoming Doors of Stone by his friend Rothfuss. Partly for that reason, he decided to push back Szeth's flashback chapters to book 5, which made it possible to rename the book (Szeth is the one main character who comes from the culture that considers naked stone holy). So Sanderson's third Stormligh book was called Oathbringer instead, and has been out for a little more than a year. He recently posted a writing plan update on his blog, and aims to release Stormlight 4 roughly at the end of 2020. Which is consistent with his intent to release one Stormligh Archive book every three years. So what are the chances that the new Stones Unhallowed book will still face potential competition from Doors of Stone in 2023?

Answer: None, because Rothfuss will never release the third Name of the Wind book.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Benson Cunningham posted:

GRRM has written a ton of legitimate books, especially before Game of Thrones. Which people would still suck the dick of if it wasn't so popular.

Go read Dying of the Light. And uh.... Windhaven, I guess? And... poo poo, I really thought he wrote more good books. Still, not worth grouping with Rothfuss.

I liked Hunter's Run even though it was written by three people for some reason.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Fantasy writers have this weird mentality, it's like that post Gaiman wrote where he said "GRRM isn't your bitch." And I understand pushing back against fan entitlement but there's a difference between that and actually saying "writers shouldn't have to do their job and saying otherwise is mean." that's ridiculous. It's like they don't understand what we do, that GRRM and Rothfuss have no intention of writing anything ever again so long as the flow of media company money keeps rolling in. Why on earth would Sanderson expect Rothfuss to actually write anything?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They're bad writers and need to stick together for mutual protection.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Like a thuggish gang of smelly fat middle aged men with unkempt beards but aren't a biker gang.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Book 3 is never coming out is it

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I shoved it too far up my rear end for it come out

mewse
May 2, 2006

I shoved it too far up my rear end for it come out

You should see a doctor

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Tall, clean-shaven, and wearing his dark master's robes, he reminded me of the enigmatic Silent Doctor character present in many Modegan plays. I fought off a shiver, trying not to dwell on the fact that the appearance of the Doctor always signaled a catastrophe in the next act.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tall, clean-shaven, and wearing his dark master's robes, he reminded me of the enigmatic Silent Doctor character present in many Modegan plays. I fought off a shiver, trying not to dwell on the fact that the appearance of the Doctor always signaled a catastrophe in the next act.
Pretty sure this is my favorite line in the Kingkiller Chronicle.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

They're bad writers and need to stick together for mutual protection.

They were bad writers. Now they are just bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Fun question: Has anyone gone over what Rothfuss wrote for Tides of Numenora? That was a big deal to him and he was a big part of the KS campaign. I kind of wonder if Rothfuss is one of those creative minds who excel best under a good director/editor reigning in his worst excesses like Kurt Sutter.

FYI Kurt Sutter was one of the writers on The Shield, a big part of the show's success, and got his own show Sons of Anarchy. There are articles or stories about the head writer for The Shield talking about how great Sutter could be but also that he would be super enthusiastic about some ideas he'd pitch to the writer's room that everyone listening would go dead silent and think "holy gently caress what is going on in his head?" and then bring him back to reality and get some great work.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pentyne posted:

Fun question: Has anyone gone over what Rothfuss wrote for Tides of Numenora? That was a big deal to him and he was a big part of the KS campaign. I kind of wonder if Rothfuss is one of those creative minds who excel best under a good director/editor reigning in his worst excesses like Kurt Sutter.

If I'm not mistaken, he wrote the companion Rhin. She's alright, but from what I recall doesn't particularly standout as either good or bad.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wikia for Numenera posted:

Rhin is just a child - nothing special about her. Unless you count her damaged head, her odd turns of phrase, and her tendency to talk to a rock that lives in her pocket. She insists that the stones she carries with her are gods.

So he wrote Auri.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ugh, is that supposed to be a Doctor Who reference? Eragon pulled that poo poo as well as I recall.

pentyne posted:

Didn't that game flop really hard? I remember restarting it 3 times and just bouncing off how bad the gameplay was and how the writing seemed to be weird for weirdness sake. It's like they wanted to do Jack Vance style pulp but didn't get what made it fun (having witty characters react to the bizarre absurdities), took the absurd part, and just made everything stupid.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Ugh, is that supposed to be a Doctor Who reference? Eragon pulled that poo poo as well as I recall.

I literally thought the same thing, especially when he just called him 'The Doctor'.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I thought it was supposed to be a reference to plague doctors or possibly a warped version of the Doctor stock character from the Commedia dell’Arte but those things are interesting, cool, and good so it probably actually is something really dweeby like Doctor Who.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
So anything been going on with these books? It kind of feels like everyone has slowly stopped caring about them entirely.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kchama posted:

So anything been going on with these books? It kind of feels like everyone has slowly stopped caring about them entirely.

What is there to care about? If no new books are coming out, and they also cancelled the planned tv show, then there's not a lot to talk about.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
A friend of mine loves Patrick Rothfuss - I hadn't seen him in years, and one of the last things we spoke about the last time I saw him were the Kingkiller books. Then I saw him again recently, and he was still waiting patiently, saying how much he couldn't wait to read the next book. I told him 'dude it's never coming out' and he just looked puzzled. "It takes a long time to write books as long and good as these, it won't be long now." I just felt kinda sorry for him.

E: I just looked at the Goodreads page for the book, and Rothfuss commented there seven years ago that he was working on 'revisions'.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Torrannor posted:

What is there to care about? If no new books are coming out, and they also cancelled the planned tv show,
They didn't.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

They haven't, though Raimi quitting the show last month is probably the kiss of death. Same thing happened to the attempts to make a live-action adaptation of Noir. Raimi quit and everything died.

Good thing, too.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Earlier in the thread there was a collection of short stories recommended. All I remember from it was it involved a demon and a mother's relentless criticism of restaurants that served tomato soup that wasn't up to snuff. Anyone rememebr what that might be?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
That sounds like Raymond Carver's classic short story "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kchama posted:

Nobody should care about these books regardless of whether or not new ones come out. NOTW was overall ok and did show a few cases of "here's the truth of the myth, and it wasn't actually anything impressive" only for WMF to throw that out the window and fully embrace the "yes it's all true :smuggo:" complete with sex ninjas and a literal sex goddess being wowed by a virgin. Slow Regard's release had a literal "if you don't like it you just don't get it" defense from Rothfuss but with any luck he realized he is as bad as his critics say and he'll never write another book (because he's got a tv and/or movie deal that will make him far more money unless nobody else wants to pick it up (we can only hope)).

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Holy gently caress that analog stick minigame lasts SEVENTEEN loving seconds and doesn't instantly kill the enemy

For reference, I quit playing Record of Argarest War after two battles because random encounters took too long

I played through Agarest War Zero a few years back when I was short on a gaming backlog. It was... not worth it and the game is very bad.

That said, it is an 11/10 GOTY superstar compared to what I've seen of YIIKES. The Agarest War games at least knew and admitted to what sort of thing they were.

Phantasium posted:

you WOULD remember the guy that took care of the dragons.

Futch's dragon, Bright, is a white dragon. :tinfoil:

e: God I wish the Suikoden IP fell in to the hands of a capable developer. Even if they wanted to start fresh and away from 1-5's story work, they could just make the games take place in the Western Continent or any other landmass, with only passing reference to locations/people in 1-5.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 23, 2019

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

(Snip)

I played through Agarest War Zero a few years back when I was short on a gaming backlog. It was... not worth it and the game is very bad.

That said, it is an 11/10 GOTY superstar compared to what I've seen of YIIKES. The Agarest War games at least knew and admitted to what sort of thing they were.

Futch's dragon, Bright, is a white dragon. :tinfoil:

e: God I wish the Suikoden IP fell in to the hands of a capable developer. Even if they wanted to start fresh and away from 1-5's story work, they could just make the games take place in the Western Continent or any other landmass, with only passing reference to locations/people in 1-5.

You got lost midway through your post. Somehow.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PJOmega posted:

It was a post in two parts.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Do you think that Rothfuss is playing the long game for the final book? Making it a big ol' celebration of time passed?

"Fifteen years TO THE DAY since the release of the first chapter in fantasy's true masterwork comes the startling, thrilling conclusion to the series that has captured the imaginations of GENERATIONS of readers."

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I imagine his publisher has been begging him to let them use a ghost writer for years. The last shred of Patrick's self worth slips away as he hears through the phone, "Brandon is very easy to work with, you know."

mewse
May 2, 2006

Benson Cunningham posted:

I imagine his publisher has been begging him to let them use a ghost writer for years. The last shred of Patrick's self worth slips away as he hears through the phone, "Brandon is very easy to work with, you know."

brandon wouldn't ghostwrite tho :laugh:

"due to the death of all patrick rothfuss's ambition, brandon sanderson has been hired to finish the kingkiller chronicle"

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Do you think that Rothfuss is playing the long game for the final book? Making it a big ol' celebration of time passed?

"Fifteen years TO THE DAY since the release of the first chapter in fantasy's true masterwork comes the startling, thrilling conclusion to the series that has captured the imaginations of GENERATIONS of readers."

No. It's very clear that Rothfuss's primary focus is running his charity that fundraises for other charities. The books gave him a certain amount of public recognition, and he's parleying that into exposure for the charity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PJOmega posted:

I apparently pasted my reply for another thread in my reply here and didn't notice. :saddowns: