Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looper posted:

itt post about things you like, sincerely

What if I don't like them enough, or in the right ways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chumbler posted:

I will beat you up.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Venuz Patrol posted:

phantasy star 4 has the best boss fights i've ever seen in an rpg. none of them are mechanically complex, but the bosses dominate the screen in a way no one else has caught up with since.

even Zio, who's one of the first major antagonists and for all intents and purposes is just a guy (in a universe where most bosses are manifestations of chaos and evil), has one of the sickest boss arenas ever

All the music there is perfect, too. Obviously the battle theme, which is probably the best in the game and the series by extension, but also everything all through Zio's dungeon and introduction. They established the mood they were going for better than just about any other JRPG encounter I can think of. Only the big Luca Blight sequence in Suikoden 2 really comes close for me.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

chumbler posted:

:justpost:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

corn in the bible posted:

I don't know why people said Natural Doctrine is hard, it seems pretty simple to me. The story is pretty generic but at least the combat is interesting

Difficulty spikes, more than being very hard.

Curious to how far you are, because there's a definite spot that I remember the difficulty going off the rails that's that right around the time you get A+ ranked dungeons I think.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Besides Heartbeat, what are some other indie PC RPGs I should check out?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

jimmy & the pulsating mass
OFF, if you haven't tried it already

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CaptainScraps posted:

Undertale but I assume anyone who specifically wants Indie RPGs on PC has already played it

e: it's also an RPG in form but not in the soul of its being if that makes sense

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Legend of Mana is legit one of my favorite games. Part of it is that it came out at the right time in the summer, but it and SaGa Frontier 2 introduced me to strong aesthetics that weren't traditionally game-like in an era where everything was moving towards realism but even in the 16-bit era colorful games like Yoshi's Island still had abstracted game-like elements. Legend of Mana was like "yo, you're playing a painting" and it had this dreamlike quality to it with narrative beats focusing around personal relationships instead of evil empires.

I wish the game got an HD remake because it's really just a few balance passes from being engaging instead of childishly easy. But everything about the design, care, and craft was what triggered that step from mindlessly consuming media to "oh, this is worthy of analysis."

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

CrossCode is really good if you like Ys style fast action ones

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

al-azad posted:

Legend of Mana is legit one of my favorite games. Part of it is that it came out at the right time in the summer, but it and SaGa Frontier 2 introduced me to strong aesthetics that weren't traditionally game-like in an era where everything was moving towards realism but even in the 16-bit era colorful games like Yoshi's Island still had abstracted game-like elements. Legend of Mana was like "yo, you're playing a painting" and it had this dreamlike quality to it with narrative beats focusing around personal relationships instead of evil empires.

I wish the game got an HD remake because it's really just a few balance passes from being engaging instead of childishly easy. But everything about the design, care, and craft was what triggered that step from mindlessly consuming media to "oh, this is worthy of analysis."

They're both by Kawazu, who is probably the coolest squeenix director. He is also responsible for Crystal Bearers and a couple other interesting experiments

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does Heartbeart have any plans for a console release?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Looper posted:

Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse is probably my favorite SMT game and I don't get why some fans hate it with such a rabid passion. It has the best of SMT and the best of Persona. To bring it back to what I was saying, SMTIVA does a fabulous job of showing why life is worth living. You got these great people, both your companions and everyone else you meet, and it just fills my heart with an idealism that isn't normally there.

Contrast with most other SMT games which want you to go Neutral and I'm like "...why?" The world sucks, everybody is a jerk, some serious change is in order and that change only happens in Law or Chaos routes.

Also because I'm stuck thinking and talking about this now, I love both Xenogears and Xenosaga and I've been thinking a lot about how similar thematically their endings are.

In Xenogears, Deus is activated and, together with the angels, wipes out most of the population on the planet. What's left of XG humanity is sheltered at the crashed Shevat. Even accounting for video game limitations (so the number of sprites we see isn't actually representative of everyone there), there is still a paltry fraction of the human race left alive. Then our heroes destroy the Zohar Modifier which was the main power source for everything on the planet. So humanity is not only mostly dead, they now are out of invaluable resources they will need to rebuild.

Onto Xenosaga. Episode III ends with "The range that disappeared due to the collapse of the universe was an enormous range that encompassed 80% of the domain under the jurisdiction of the Galaxy Federation, or in other words, 80% from the entire domain of unified interstellar nations that consisted of nearly 500 thousand planets. " Again, most of the human race is wiped out before the ending. Then the UMN vanishes which is necessary for all the things a galactic civilization requires like easy communication and travel. Once more the devastated survivors are crippled even further by losing priceless technology.

But neither game's ending feels at all sad or bleak. There's still hope, still something worth fighting for. In the face of immeasurable hardship and near impossible odds, we're still optimistic. I think that's part of why I have always adored the games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Really Pants posted:

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows
And Aurion and Lisa the Painful. (Skip Joyful)

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Looper posted:

I really like characters like Lucina and Agrias. I have nothing against characters who are like, sexy bombshell heroines (2B, Chun Li, Bayonetta) or beefy butch heroines (Zarya). They're awesome too. But it's extremely cool to me that there are characters who can just be noble, heroic knights and also be girls. There are so many games where gender can make things weird, like fighting games where female characters have less HP or RPGs where female characters have better magic and worse physical stats all around. So it's just really cool to me to have characters who are like--she's a knight; she dresses like a knight; she acts like a knight; she can just be a woman knight and that's cool and fine. I grew up in a setting where traditional gender roles were strictly enforced, so it's always really stood out to me when a character can like, fill a traditionally masculine or feminine role without necessarily having to be more masculine or feminine as a way to explain or compensate for it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cephas posted:

I really like characters like Lucina and Agrias. I have nothing against characters who are like, sexy bombshell heroines (2B, Chun Li, Bayonetta) or beefy butch heroines (Zarya). They're awesome too. But it's extremely cool to me that there are characters who can just be noble, heroic knights and also be girls. There are so many games where gender can make things weird, like fighting games where female characters have less HP or RPGs where female characters have better magic and worse physical stats all around. So it's just really cool to me to have characters who are like--she's a knight; she dresses like a knight; she acts like a knight; she can just be a woman knight and that's cool and fine. I grew up in a setting where traditional gender roles were strictly enforced, so it's always really stood out to me when a character can like, fill a traditionally masculine or feminine role without necessarily having to be more masculine or feminine as a way to explain or compensate for it.

For real, it's a bit of a struggle for me to control myself and not go "HEY HEY MASQUERADA HAS THAT" at literally every goon who is ever looking for specific good things in an RPG.

also Chun Li is totally a beefy butch heroine, her thighs get meatier every time the Street Fighter number goes up

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm no expert, but I don't think Chun Li is butch. Like at all, ever. Not saying there is a problem with being butch, but it is not accurate to Chun Li.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cephas posted:

yeah it's good

Modern FE hasn't been so good with the gender stuff in general but Lucina is cool

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chumbler posted:

I'm no expert, but I don't think Chun Li is butch. Like at all, ever. Not saying there is a problem with being butch, but it is not accurate to Chun Li.

Hello welcome to america's favorite game show: "is chun li femme, butch, soft butch, chapstick lesbian, futch, or hard femme?"
I am your host, M. Bison

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I deffo have old school FE fans who refused to touch fateswakening over the marriage mechanic or fanservicey designs, but were willing to come back home with Echoes

And it helps that the main (?) protagonist of the next title is gonna be a girl using an axe

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Edelgard is one of three sub protags that follow your My Avatar.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nevermind

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I assume main because she's the one who got all the lines in the E3 trailer

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hello welcome to america's favorite game show: "is chun li femme, butch, soft butch, chapstick lesbian, futch, or hard femme?"
I am your host, M. Bison

futch isn't even in street fighter he's from suikoden

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

you WOULD remember the guy that took care of the dragons.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Looper posted:

I really loved Breath of Fire 2, yet I can't quite explain why I love it so much. It's weird in a way that's hard to describe, but felt really cool to me. Also, Katt ruled. I liked whacking things with her stick on the overworld. Oh, and I appreciate that they gave you multiple ways to solve some of the puzzles you came across (and how Katt's solution was always "whack it with a stick" and how that always worked), that felt really cool to me as a kid.

Oh, and I also love whenever developers give depth and personality to background NPCs. Like how in Persona 3/4/5 there are like 50 NPCs who all have their own side stories that you can find out about by talking to them multiple times as the game progresses (Mother 3 does this too), or how in Octopath Traveler you can use Inquire/Scrutinize to find out the backstories of the townfolk. It makes the worlds feel so much more fleshed out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh, and I also love whenever developers give depth and personality to background NPCs. Like how in Persona 3/4/5 there are like 50 NPCs who all have their own side stories that you can find out about by talking to them multiple times as the game progresses (Mother 3 does this too), or how in Octopath Traveler you can use Inquire/Scrutinize to find out the backstories of the townfolk. It makes the worlds feel so much more fleshed out.

If you've never played any of the Trails games, fukken play em. They're tops for this sort of thing.

Right at the start of Trails in the Sky First Chapter, for instance, there's a dude in the main characters' hometown who's psyching himself up to ask a girl out. Then halfway through Second Chapter, they're engaged to be married and you get a sidequest to find their lost engagement ring(and if you do it, you can attend their wedding later on). And then in Sky The 3rd, they're coming back from their honeymoon on the airliner where you start right after the prologue.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 22, 2019

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Onto Xenosaga. Episode III ends with "The range that disappeared due to the collapse of the universe was an enormous range that encompassed 80% of the domain under the jurisdiction of the Galaxy Federation, or in other words, 80% from the entire domain of unified interstellar nations that consisted of nearly 500 thousand planets. " Again, most of the human race is wiped out before the ending. Then the UMN vanishes which is necessary for all the things a galactic civilization requires like easy communication and travel. Once more the devastated survivors are crippled even further by losing priceless technology.

But neither game's ending feels at all sad or bleak. There's still hope, still something worth fighting for. In the face of immeasurable hardship and near impossible odds, we're still optimistic. I think that's part of why I have always adored the games.

As much as Xenosaga might have failed in execution I absolutely love what it's trying to do with its structure. The game dances around the fact that all of the characters are suffering after each having an event in the Miltian conflict that caused them to lose their innocence. The whole trilogy has this great sense of "beside the rivers of Babylon, we sat and wept as we thought of Jerusalem." You find Old Miltia, but it's a past you can never return to. You just have to come to terms with what you've done and how you've suffered and hope you can make tomorrow better.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

corn in the bible posted:

I don't know why people said Natural Doctrine is hard, it seems pretty simple to me. The story is pretty generic but at least the combat is interesting
It can be quite punishing and reminded people of XCom pretty much.

Gungnir by Sting for the PSP still remains my pick for an actual overly difficult strategy RPG if you wanted to do well. There are not many games I wave off with my friends due to difficulty but that was one.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Thanks, guys. Those indie RPG recs look great.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

CaptainScraps posted:

Caves of Qud :unsmigghh:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I really loved Breath of Fire 2, yet I can't quite explain why I love it so much. It's weird in a way that's hard to describe, but felt really cool to me. Also, Katt ruled. I liked whacking things with her stick on the overworld. Oh, and I appreciate that they gave you multiple ways to solve some of the puzzles you came across (and how Katt's solution was always "whack it with a stick" and how that always worked), that felt really cool to me as a kid.
There's so much attention to mechanical characterization in BoF :allears:
When the cat girl sees a guy do magic and decides to learn magic, she learns the most powerful fire spell in the game on level-up... but is too stupid to cast it even once (lacks the MP).
Then she learns one spell of all other elements, of decreasing levels, until she finally can do magic.

Or take Bleu, who is always merely remembering poo poo after a mighty booze-up, so she ends every game like ten levels above the rest of the team and gets crazy spells with almost every level.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Microcline posted:

As much as Xenosaga might have failed in execution I absolutely love what it's trying to do with its structure. The game dances around the fact that all of the characters are suffering after each having an event in the Miltian conflict that caused them to lose their innocence. The whole trilogy has this great sense of "beside the rivers of Babylon, we sat and wept as we thought of Jerusalem." You find Old Miltia, but it's a past you can never return to. You just have to come to terms with what you've done and how you've suffered and hope you can make tomorrow better.

I hae always felt that, in many way, Xenosaga is better than Xenogears. The post talking about different types of females characters and gender stereotypes makes me think how a few people I know really dislike Xenogeas for being sexist. I don't agree with all their criticisms but I can see why they feel that way.

One area Saga trumps Gears is its female characters. I know a lot of people hate Shion but looking at her character and the overall narrative, she is just one person. Even if you take the most uncharitable view of her as a needy, codependent woman who will destroy the universe because she can't live without her man (this is ignoring three games of context and is equivalent to hating Shinji for trying to strangle Asuka in how much it misses the point), I was always told by the feminists I talked to that they don't object to a lady character with her tits flopping out who loves fuckin'. The problem is when all the female characters are like this. It makes sense to have one character like Shion because there are people like that in real life but if all women are like her or the hypothetical sex-loving boobs lady, that's pushing a message and that's when things become problematic. So, for all her flaws, Shion is a fine and even unique female character. Contrast with Elly from Xenogears where, not only is her plotline defined by a man, every female character's plot is defined by a man.

I used to feel Episode 3 ruined Shion but her character from the very beginning was building up to that giant clusterfuck of trauma. And also, having played Persona 2 now, I saw a lot of Shion in Maya. Their relentless idealism covers up their deeply embedded fears.

But yeah, after I move I really gotta tuck into replaying these games. It's been ten years since my last playthrough of any Xenosaga game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dink Smallwood

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

DisDisDis posted:

Caves of Qud :unsmigghh:

When it gets tiles :argh:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

There's so much attention to mechanical characterization in BoF :allears:
When the cat girl sees a guy do magic and decides to learn magic, she learns the most powerful fire spell in the game on level-up... but is too stupid to cast it even once (lacks the MP).
Then she learns one spell of all other elements, of decreasing levels, until she finally can do magic.

Or take Bleu, who is always merely remembering poo poo after a mighty booze-up, so she ends every game like ten levels above the rest of the team and gets crazy spells with almost every level.

You're making me want to replay it now. I also liked that Bleu could hunt, by nuking the entire screen, which was useless.

If I remember right you couldn't really keep party members fully transformed because you needed the field skills they'd lose though, which sucked.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Really Pants posted:

If you've never played any of the Trails games, fukken play em. They're tops for this sort of thing.

Right at the start of Trails in the Sky First Chapter, for instance, there's a dude in the main characters' hometown who's psyching himself up to ask a girl out. Then halfway through Second Chapter, they're engaged to be married and you get a sidequest to find their lost engagement ring(and if you do it, you can attend their wedding later on). And then in Sky The 3rd, they're coming back from their honeymoon on the airliner where you start right after the prologue.

That sounds like exactly my jam, thanks for the recommend!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I deffo have old school FE fans who refused to touch fateswakening over the marriage mechanic or fanservicey designs, but were willing to come back home with Echoes

And it helps that the main (?) protagonist of the next title is gonna be a girl using an axe
I like a lot of things about the earlier games but they were way more sexist in the ways that actually matter.

Like awakening and especially Fates have some dumb designs but literally every GBA fe game that people pine for made every single woman unable to wield basic iron weapons without speed penalities and gave them all lower strength caps.

Echidna is the only female axe specialist in the entire GBA trilogy and she can't even lift an axe without losing like 3 points of speed. And Fates, for all its issues, actually finally and definitively killed all the dumb gender-based class restrictions and biases. God bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wow look at this pretty knight lady whose ability to lift heavy weapons is less than that of the small child, the 70 year old guy who sits inside all day, and the thief

this is extremely NOT hosed up and weird