Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Relin posted:

this doesnt seem that bad, it's not making fun of the event or her insanity or anything. it's a little tasteless yeah but i cant imagine someone irl being nauseated at encountering this like the person who wrote the album

i believe that's a common figure of speech and not literal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ah. shallies.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Corn I owe you an apology

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Jesus Christ.

It takes me 8 seconds to transition into battle and I have to do a minigame for each character action.

The dialogue sounds like it was recorded in a closet and written by a basement dweller.

It's like someone told a 13 year old to make a cool game and then his aunt toned it down and made it retro.

you were warned

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CaptainScraps posted:

Jesus Christ.

It takes me 8 seconds to transition into battle and I have to do a minigame for each character action.

The dialogue sounds like it was recorded in a closet and written by a basement dweller.

It's like someone told a 13 year old to make a cool game and then his aunt toned it down and made it retro.

Remember you have to do a minigame for every action including the enemies. Have fun when the enemies start having AoE attacks and you have to do a timing minigame for everyone.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Corn I owe you an apology

i recorded that video for a reason!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
It would be a phenomenal lp

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
He spent fourteen loving text boxes talking about a cat

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tbf cats are great

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CaptainScraps posted:

He spent fourteen loving text boxes talking about a cat

This sounds like most Discord servers

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Remember you have to do a minigame for every action including the enemies. Have fun when the enemies start having AoE attacks and you have to do a timing minigame for everyone.

alex's first ability is literal party immunity and means you can avoid doing the defending mini-games and you can speed through enemy turns to shave like a minute total off of the 30 minute battles

so once you have a full party and can buy drinks to refill pp(heheheheh) the combat goes from tedious and easy to painfully boring and braindead simple because you literally cannot be damaged

Lemonade

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ruggington posted:

alex's first ability is literal party immunity and means you can avoid doing the defending mini-games and you can speed through enemy turns to shave like a minute total off of the 30 minute battles

so once you have a full party and can buy drinks to refill pp(heheheheh) the combat goes from tedious and easy to painfully boring and braindead simple because you literally cannot be damaged

Lemonade

it only blocks one attack per turn though so large enemy groups still take ages to get through

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

did anyone play this game at all before release ? :|

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

it only blocks one attack per turn though so large enemy groups still take ages to get through

in my experience it's just been total immunity and only wears off on alex's next turn (sometimes?) even in fights where multiple enemies are doing group attacks

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Synthbuttrange posted:

did anyone play this game at all before release ? :|
has anyone played this game since release

can you prove it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ruggington posted:

Lemonade

Can YIIK even be salvaged?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

sure, if they rewrote the script and changed the combat system and replaced the soundtrack it could be good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

scraps of its visuals and soundtrack, sure

the concept of the entire story, no

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

U-DO Burger posted:

tbf cats are assholes

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ruggington posted:

in my experience it's just been total immunity and only wears off on alex's next turn (sometimes?) even in fights where multiple enemies are doing group attacks

hold on i just had a fight against three enemies with group attacks and the barrier took 6 consecutive multi-person hits aimed at the same two people and only expired right before alex's next turn so he could put it right back up

lol

im just gonna record and upload the next fight i do so people can see how much this actually sucks by mid-game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

strong name and post combo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait more than one person here bought it. :(

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That's what I figured. I maybe exaggerating, but I feel like I have never seen a game whose core is as bad as YIIK. Like there are worse games, but just the concept of YIIK seems so bad.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I didn't expect the golden alpaca fight video to actually get hits. I thought it was a goons exclusive.

the grunting in the battle theme is terrible.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47XW7jx9F9k

here's a combat video with enemies with only 2 enemies with mercifully low health

that takes 4 and a half minutes to complete

Tired Moritz posted:

I didn't expect the golden alpaca fight video to actually get hits. I thought it was a goons exclusive.

the grunting in the battle theme is terrible.

that one went around on twitter and a couple of my other ones hit 4chan (which, shockingly, meant i had to disable comments on the one where they attempt to write about race)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

saving jrpgs

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Holy gently caress that analog stick minigame lasts SEVENTEEN loving seconds and doesn't instantly kill the enemy

For reference, I quit playing Record of Argarest War after two battles because random encounters took too long

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just want to once again thank everyone who is going through YIIK so no one else has to.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm just thankful that among other things the DK64 stream became all anyone could talk about just after yiik's launch for good reasons and a good cause. :3: It looks like anywhere else, yiik has sunk without a trace.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Record of Argarest War
Talk about a blast from the past. I think I made it a few hours in before I realized that I hadn't managed to extract even an ounce of fun; gotta say that I still resent it a hell of a lot more than YIIK, if only because I was fooled into wasting a few dollars on it. Also, YIIK has the occasional interesting idea or cool aesthetic choice; RoAW is JRPG mediocrity distilled into its purest form.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

I just want to once again thank everyone who is going through YIIK so no one else has to.

I'm not thankful that they gave money to this dev and therefore implicitly supported his work.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
so is there anything actually postmodernist about yiik

like the most i can glean from these clips is that maybe, maybe the golden alpaca is supposed to be some sort of absurd semiotic sign, where the signifier is something stupid and asinine as a way to conceal what it's signifying. but that'd rely on there actually being some narrative or thematic follow-up to the golden alpaca and i just don't know if i can expect that. and even then I don't know if making bizarre metaphors is really enough to classify you as postmodern, or else Vogon poetry would qualify.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Clarste posted:

I'm not thankful that they gave money to this dev and therefore implicitly supported his work.

im extremely ahead on the "not paying for this" front

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
it's postmodern bcs it's ~*wacky*~

if other posters are to be believed the point of the actual real true ending is that postmodernism is bad and you should reject it. still not sure if the dev knows what postmodern means

https://twitter.com/donleykogn/status/1087584151849455616

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

youcallthatatwist posted:

it's postmodern bcs it's ~*wacky*~

if other posters are to be believed the point of the actual real true ending is that postmodernism is bad and you should reject it. still not sure if the dev knows what postmodern means

https://twitter.com/donleykogn/status/1087584151849455616

From what I've heard it explicitly calls for a transition to "New Sincerity", which I originally thought referred to some generically bad grungy acoustic-guitar-and-flannel-shirt thing but the truth is much more bizarre

the most insufferable person imaginable posted:

What is The New Sincerity? Think of it as irony and sincerity combined like Voltron, to form a new movement of astonishing power. Or think of it as the absence of irony and sincerity, where less is (obviously) more. If those strain the brain, just think of Evel Knievel. Let's be frank. There's no way to appreciate Evel Knievel literally. Evel is the kind of man who defies even fiction, because the reality is too over the top. Here is a man in a red-white-and-blue leather jumpsuit, driving some kind of rocket car. A man who achieved fame and fortune jumping over things. Here is a real man who feels at home as Spidey on the cover of a comic book. Simply put, Evel Knievel boggles the mind. But by the same token, he isn't to be taken ironically, either. The fact of the matter is that Evel is, in a word, awesome. ... Our greeting: a double thumbs-up. Our credo: "Be More Awesome". Our lifestyle: "Maximum Fun". Throw caution to the wind, friend, and live The New Sincerity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Sincerity posted:

One such example of a "new sincerity" movement is the brony fandom, generally adult and primarily male fans of the 2010 animated show My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic which is produced by Hasbro to sell its toys to young girls.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
new sincerity is a failure in that while its great to promote being sincere and genuine at a certain point it just becomes an apolitical aesthetic and it kinda starts playing into things like "softboys" where we begin to fetish purity and lack of irony over being a genuinely good and honest person.

e: also jesse thron may be a dork but i think there are way more insufferable people lol
ee: like i went to college with this guy who wore a mad hatter hat around, that was pretty insufferable

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 22, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought a postmodern video game was MGS2.

And after that I read The New York Trilogy because I figured it inspired MGS2 but while I remember finding it interesting, I never understood the point of it or what the message was or anything.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Microcline posted:

From what I've heard it explicitly calls for a transition to "New Sincerity", which I originally thought referred to some generically bad grungy acoustic-guitar-and-flannel-shirt thing but the truth is much more bizarre

I feel an intense urge to shove whoever wrote those into a locker. Sorry, gillette, I have failed you.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 22, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

For anyone who is interested in learning a very small amount the transition from Postmodernism to New Sincerity, I think this youtube video is about the extent of what the guy knows about it since it's almost word-for-word what he says in that final computer text document

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2doZROwdte4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013