Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

don't use my rat for evil :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm too lazy, but someone do this one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmOw-jplSMk

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Guy Mann posted:

as someone who has eaten multiple probations for the offense of posting memes in the memes thread I say either get busy memein or get busy dyin

Guy Mann I hope you get probated again for how much these memes loving suck.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

loving shameful

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Help me thread.

A while back there was a guy on Twitter who would make short piano medleys about banal things. I remember it well because he made one about Thyssenkrupp elevators.

I know this is an insane ask, but please. My children are dying.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

This but unironically.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yestermoment posted:

Help me thread.

A while back there was a guy on Twitter who would make short piano medleys about banal things. I remember it well because he made one about Thyssenkrupp elevators.

I know this is an insane ask, but please. My children are dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuJvZdKlJH8

Bill Wurtz probably

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
"Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy."

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wake up, Punchy!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
could you imagine if someone just like, ironically read the whole book

like for laughs, haha.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

"What" they looked like, not "how" arg argh arg arrgh :argh:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
That milkshake ducked itself pretty fast.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MageMage posted:

:smith: I wonder what it's like to get this kind of support

We love you. You know your goon family will always be better for you

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The universal theme of having to choose between your biker gang and your literal pussy motorcycle

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Phlegmish posted:

The universal theme of having to choose between your biker gang and your literal pussy motorcycle

like romeo and juliet, except juliet's a used fleshlight installed on a motorbike that you can only use while driving it?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Stoatbringer posted:

"What" they looked like, not "how" arg argh arg arrgh :argh:

Homeboy's Czechoslovakian, we can forgive him the occasional grammatical lapse.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Memento posted:

Homeboy's Czechoslovakian, we can forgive him the occasional grammatical lapse.

Is he in Hungary for the holidays?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
‘How’ and ‘what’ are both valid interrogative pronouns for the verb ‘to look (like something)’. :shrug:

How do I look?

What does he look like?

And the second sentence could go either way but what are you a prescriptivist?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dialhforhero posted:

‘How’ and ‘what’ are both valid interrogative pronouns for the verb ‘to look (like something)’. :shrug:

How do I look?

What does he look like?

And the second sentence could go either way but what are you a prescriptivist?

You even used them correctly in your well, actually post!

Those both sound correct but "how does [pronoun] look like?" sounds wrong and dumb

At least, in American English.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Bloop posted:

You even used them correctly in your well, actually post!

Those both sound correct but "how does [pronoun] look like?" sounds wrong and dumb

At least, in American English.

It is wrong, but it's one of those little quirks that make English so hard to learn.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Personally I find it kind of endearing how certain mistakes can tell you what a persons native language is, because there is some totally logical reason why that mistake is common. Like how people from I think Sweden will often spell “with” as “whit”, or how Spanish speakers use “draw” as the noun where we would say “drawing”. It makes sense if you know where it’s coming from.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Personally I find it kind of endearing how certain mistakes can tell you what a persons native language is, because there is some totally logical reason why that mistake is common. Like how people from I think Sweden will often spell “with” as “whit”, or how Spanish speakers use “draw” as the noun where we would say “drawing”. It makes sense if you know where it’s coming from.

Ganar in Spanish means to gain or to win. A former coworker of mine once complained that she "won two kilos." I knew what she meant and knew exactly where the error came from but it made me lol.

Another ESL thing from Spanish speakers is missing the word "at." So they might say "look this."

English is not hard to learn, it's one of the easiest languages to learn. It's difficult to master though.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

"English is the hardest language!" Is a sentiment that native English speakers take as an article of faith because that's what we're told growing up but Spanish speakers who learn English always tell me how easy it is compared to Spanish.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well this is stuck in my goddamn head for the foreseeable future

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Somfin posted:

Doesn't include Ignorance and Want, 2/10

They're not characters, they're assist trophies.

Gene Hackman Fan has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Dec 24, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

"English is the hardest language!" Is a sentiment that native English speakers take as an article of faith because that's what we're told growing up but Spanish speakers who learn English always tell me how easy it is compared to Spanish.

Spanish is much easier to spell than English because of how logical and phonetical it is in comparison. I would say written English is tied with French for its weird bullshit and inconsistency.

On the other hand, trying to understand what an Iberian Spaniard is saying is extremely difficult due to their steadfast refusal to enunciate even slightly

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Phlegmish posted:

Spanish is much easier to spell than English because of how logical and phonetical it is in comparison. I would say written English is tied with French for its weird bullshit and inconsistency.

On the other hand, trying to understand what an Iberian Spaniard is saying is extremely difficult due to their steadfast refusal to enunciate even slightly

Yeah, it's really great. With very few exceptions (like archaic x pronunciation or Nahuatl loanwords), it's pretty much said like it's spelled.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My problem with Spanish and their ilk is the gendered nouns. It adds a whole meta class of info you have to learn that doesn't always operate predictably.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

1488 words so far?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

My problem with Spanish and their ilk is the gendered nouns. It adds a whole meta class of info you have to learn that doesn't always operate predictably.

Just remember that all the words ending in -ción or -tad are feminine and that's about half the words right there. Same trick works in French with -tion and -té

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Phlegmish posted:

As a german with an spanish gf, both learning each others language, I can only say you sweet summer child never attempt my language. Spanish and english are both very easy to learn, as both have very clear rules instead of cases that are true for like 60% of the time, but can vary depending on the five words before them.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Just remember that all the words ending in -ción or -tad are feminine and that's about half the words right there. Same trick works in French with -tion and -té

German as well, but the chart is prolly larger.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Son of Rodney posted:

As a german with an spanish gf, both learning each others language, I can only say you sweet summer child never attempt my language. Spanish and english are both very easy to learn, as both have very clear rules instead of cases that are true for like 60% of the time, but can vary depending on the five words before them.
I had german as a required subject for 5 years in school. I still can't form basic sentences correctly. :cripes: I do understand a tiny bit at least...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
German's my second language! Kind of. I found it super easy to learn, except for the insane case system, jesus christ.

linguistics memes!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

past tense of yeet should be yote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I took 2 years of latin and 5 of French.

If you dropped me in Paris right now I wouldn't have any trouble understanding nouns and could maybe grunt my way through like a cave man (At a cafe: "Me. Coffee. Sugar.") but if you put a gun to my head and said "conjugate a verb" I'd be hosed.