Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thoughts for time on a 10-11lb prime rib @ 275?

Or any tips?

Cook until 120 internally for medium rare as it will continue to cook while resting. Let rest for 45 minutes while oven heats to 475. Roast at 475 for up to 10 minutes to crisp up the fat cap.

Slice and serve.

That size meat will hold temp a LONG time so best to start early rather than late and hold up dinner.

That size roast may take up to 4 hours at that temp.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Update if anyone cares: put my two brisket flats on at 9 pm last night. Keep temp around 220-240 till 4 am when I fell asleep. At 6 am, the fire was down to 160, and the flats we're both at 160 ish after pushing just through the stall. Rebuilt the fire, and closed out till about 9:30 at 250 and then the wind picked up. Meat was hovering just shy of 200, so I wrapped em and put in the oven at 300 for about 10 min and got up up to about 205. Pulled em out and the have been in the cooler since about 10. Plan to pull them out at about 4:30 for a 5 pm dinner. Will post pics I guess when I open the meat up to serve.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Murgos posted:

Cook until 120 internally for medium rare as it will continue to cook while resting. Let rest for 45 minutes while oven heats to 475. Roast at 475 for up to 10 minutes to crisp up the fat cap.

Slice and serve.

That size meat will hold temp a LONG time so best to start early rather than late and hold up dinner.

That size roast may take up to 4 hours at that temp.

Thanks. I usually don't fret much but...

1) Given the cost (makes brisket look cheap).
2) It is Christmas. On birthdays or whatever when cooking if I screw up (which I haven't yet, knock on wood) I always make the joke we can order pizza.
3) The old-timers in my family want things...shall we say more well-done. Not with ketchup extreme levels, but they grew up in a time where that is how it was. Drives me nuts, but yeah, plan is for medium-rare and slice and let them cook in the au jus to make up the difference for their preference of choice.

In the end it will all be a-okay. Just a cathartic thread to let me vent.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Oh, and just to add, have a Merry Christmas.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

arisu posted:

I'm going to be doing a pepper stout beef for Christmas, and I was wondering, when you get to the phase where you finish in the smoker/oven covered, would there be any difference finishing in a slow cooker? It would make transporting the dish and keeping it warm for the pot luck a lot easier.

It should work fine. I actually finished mine in an Instant Pot because I ran out of time. Cooked it under pressure for 30 minutes then used the Saute function to reduce the juice/beer down. Was still super smokey.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So the larger flat was amazing, the smaller was a bit dry. 10/10, would cook again.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Mercury Ballistic posted:

So the larger flat was amazing, the smaller was a bit dry. 10/10, would cook again.

Hell yeah that looks beautiful, nice job :hfive:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks. I usually don't fret much but...

1) Given the cost (makes brisket look cheap).
2) It is Christmas. On birthdays or whatever when cooking if I screw up (which I haven't yet, knock on wood) I always make the joke we can order pizza.
3) The old-timers in my family want things...shall we say more well-done. Not with ketchup extreme levels, but they grew up in a time where that is how it was. Drives me nuts, but yeah, plan is for medium-rare and slice and let them cook in the au jus to make up the difference for their preference of choice.

In the end it will all be a-okay. Just a cathartic thread to let me vent.

How’d it go?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Murgos posted:

How’d it go?

Fairly good. Wasn't a complete disaster. :v:

Couple things I learned and I should have known better (because I did...but it was Christmas and well booze and family activities...) is I should have thermapen'ed it more (because I trust it versus the maverick probe). Five degrees off higher for a chicken or pulled pork is more forgiving than shooting for medium rare versus medium.

Also should have rotated it. I had it in a foil pan with broth and seasonings. When I took temps one side was more done than the other.

Other issue was I was using lump instead of briquettes and I was finding it hard to find the sweet spot to control smoker temps.

All in all, slightly more done than I wanted but everyone raved about it so I call it success. I'll nail it better next time.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Anyone have a rough timing on a 4lb chuck roast doing pepper stout beef?

I know it's smoke to 165 --> braise for ?? (3ish?) hours until fork-tender --> reduce, but I'm having trouble doing the mental math to figure out what time to start.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think my chuck was 4-6 lbs. From my notes:

quote:

4.25 hours to get to get to cover point at 245 degrees
2.5 more hours to get to shreddable

So almost 7 hours total to be safe.

You can definitely wrap and hold so as usual err on it taking longer.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Thanks! 6-7 hours was sort of where my head was at but I think I'll give it 8 and if it ends up warming in the oven so be it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pepper stout beef trip report: it took 9.5 hours to get to the table but it was super worth it. I chalk up the long smoke to it being a particularly thick cut that I didn't take out of the fridge early enough so it took a long time for it to get to 165 on the smoker.

Rave reviews all around and my dad, who is a particular eater and isn't usually a huge fan of cooking that isn't his, ate at a massive amount and loved it.

We've got some leftovers that we're going to fry up and use in burritos. Can't wait. Super good recipe. A++ would make again.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Blinkz0rz posted:

Pepper stout beef trip report: it took 9.5 hours to get to the table but it was super worth it. I chalk up the long smoke to it being a particularly thick cut that I didn't take out of the fridge early enough so it took a long time for it to get to 165 on the smoker.

Rave reviews all around and my dad, who is a particular eater and isn't usually a huge fan of cooking that isn't his, ate at a massive amount and loved it.

We've got some leftovers that we're going to fry up and use in burritos. Can't wait. Super good recipe. A++ would make again.

No offense intended, but is your dad a good cook?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

No offense intended, but is your dad a good cook?

Yes, excellent. He's just a weird guy and is of the "I can cook it better myself" mentality.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Blinkz0rz posted:

Yes, excellent. He's just a weird guy and is of the "I can cook it better myself" mentality.

Yeah hence my question. I assume it is hard to hand over the duties from the old man. Just tell him to pass the torch.

While I enjoy cooking/smoking/yada yada there is a part of me where I wish I could land into someone's living room and get offered a beer and end up with a decent meal.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Hey can someone repost the pepper stout beef recipe that everyone is using? I would like some pepper stout in my life this weekend.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

dy. posted:

Hey can someone repost the pepper stout beef recipe that everyone is using? I would like some pepper stout in my life this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrWZ74mOTTA

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I've made that recipe before, and I thought the end result tasted extremely heavy on the worcestershire. At the same time, I feel like cutting down the worcestershire and relying more on the stout for the braising liquid would create a liquid that tastes heavily of smoke but not much like any other flavors. Has anyone tried subbing in beef stock or red wine? How does it hold up to the smokiness of the beef roast?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

I've made that recipe before, and I thought the end result tasted extremely heavy on the worcestershire. At the same time, I feel like cutting down the worcestershire and relying more on the stout for the braising liquid would create a liquid that tastes heavily of smoke but not much like any other flavors. Has anyone tried subbing in beef stock or red wine? How does it hold up to the smokiness of the beef roast?

I thought the same thing.

I would like red wine but I feel like that’s something other than pepper stout? But likely delicious.

Beef broth seems safer?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It seemed like there was a LOT of fat in the juices after it was done braising. Do you guys skim the fat off before you pull the meat? (heh)

Also, I would think that the onions and peppers would be mush after braising that long. I'd be tempted to saute more onion and peppers fresh before serving.

I made a stout pepper beef using my pressure cooker. It tasted great but the steam doesn't smell good at all.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'm going to do some ribs for lunch tomorrow, but I am not waking up early tomorrow morning to start them. I was planning to smoke them today using the 321 method, then reheat them tomorrow in the oven or on the grill. Any thoughts about this?

I've also thought about just skipping the foiling step and smoking for three hours, letting them cook on the heat unfoiled for two hours (maybe spritzing with some apple cider during this time), then either glazing for the last hour OR pulling them after 5 hours and then finishing tomorrow (i.e. that last hour of glazing) on the grill.

E: ugh, all the ribs are frozen. I got pork back ribs, we'll see what happens

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 31, 2018

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

dy. posted:

Here is the website of that recipe if you don't wan to watch the video.

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well beat the hell out of the rest of my xmas prime rib.

Had some left over so sent it into my slicer and did some prime rib sandwiches on toasted buns with melted provolone and au jus.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am a total weirdo who likes to make things so I took all the tallow that dried in my WSM drip pan after my brisket cook last week. I asked a neighbor who keeps bees for some beeswax and melted it all together in a double boiler. Then I took a length cotton twine and dipped it a million times in the wax/tallow mix and made a candle. It does not smell at all but sputters a bit. I have enough goo to make a lot more, but it worked amazingly enough.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Had to use a magnesium firestarter to light my charcoal. It's raining and nothing else would light.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

QuarkMartial posted:

Had to use a magnesium firestarter to light my charcoal. It's raining and nothing else would light.

Are you in loving Greenland or something?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
No, but it's drat stupid here. Zippo wouldn't work, standard stick lighter wouldn't stay lit. I know we have matches, but I couldn't find any.

It's like the universe doesn't want me making ribs.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Get or make a chimney starter.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I have one, that's what I was trying to light :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Get or make a chimney starter.

Get this.

Firing it up involves some old newspapers or other fapping material you have in the house to get it started and of course your starter which is apparently a bic lighter.

Doing the ring in the grill: Then get a torch on a propane or mapp tank. Forty seconds with it will light the coals. Shut lid with vents set. Done.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

QuarkMartial posted:

I have one, that's what I was trying to light :v:

Apologies, I stand corrected.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Yeah, sorry as well. I just use a piece of news paper or the top of my bag of charcoal. Ball it up and Bic it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, sorry as well. I just use a piece of news paper or the top of my bag of charcoal. Ball it up and Bic it.

Eh no biggie. There is a lot of crap going on. Who knows how much moisture it took on.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Well, they're on the grill now :toot:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'mma double post, but they just went in the foil:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Last weekend I spatchcocked my first bird and I'm just gonna do whole chickens as much as possible from now on, such a fun cook.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I could eat smoked chickens (or turkey) just about forever and be happy with it!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Mob posted:

Last weekend I spatchcocked my first bird and I'm just gonna do whole chickens as much as possible from now on, such a fun cook.

It's basically the only way to go.

Now we need to discuss poultry shears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I got some $15 set off of Amazon like 4 years ago and I've done dozens and dozens of birds with great success.