Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:stare: Holy poo poo that is a lot of information.

Umm... okay so I’m a stomach sleeper, I’m short and fat, I’m pretty concerned about coolness, I’m looking for a queen size, and my price range is about $700 to $1500. Does that help narrow things down at all?

EDIT: According to that site, the combination of me being a stomach sleeper + fat means I’m looking for a medium-firm mattress, not a soft one, which I guess lines up pretty well with the mattress I have now.

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

you are entering a dark and terrifying land. i’m sorry.

do the research. then do more. then in person testing. and remember that the entire industry is suffused with bullshit, intentionally confusing (multiple names for the same or almost identical products) and set up to get you to pay more for poo poo that doesn’t matter and/or to game rankings / reviews etc.

Fuuuuck, guess I should’ve posted this earlier then, since Mattress Firm’s Black Friday sale ends tomorrow. :negative:

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

with regard to your requirements, you want a circular square: to be cool you want a mattress you sleep on rather than sink into, meaning there’s going to be a correlation between firmness and coolness

also one general caveat: companies love to slap slabs of various materials into integrated pillowtops. be aware that these can break down much faster than the other elements of a mattress, so if you really want one you should consider a separate topper so the whole assembly doesn’t have to be replaced if that particular component fails

I’m more concerned with coolness than I am with softness, so I guess this means I’m looking for something firmer?

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 09:52 on Nov 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So after checking the mattress selector on this site, I’m now considering a Saatva Luxury Firm. Are those any good? Any other ones I should look into as well?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

i spent years sleeping on foam mattresses and would never do so again. the heat, and eventually the degradation of the materials; ugh

not sure what i’d go with if i were in the market today, probably a multi zone pocket coil support layer with latex and / or maybe micro coils in the comfort layer

Any particular opinions on Sleep Numbers?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Any particular opinions on Sleep Numbers?

i haven’t really researched options with this sort of construction, so the short answer is no, although i did have a terrible night’s sleep on one a few years back.

here are a few discussion links from the mattress underground that are worth checking out as a starting point, though i would suggest additional review to get a full picture

https://www.themattressunderground.com/our-articles/airbeds-pros-and-cons.html

and post 3 here:

https://www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum/general-mattresses/5234-air-base-support-layer-with-talalay-comfort-layer.html#5239

I. M. Gei posted:

So after checking the mattress selector on this site, I’m now considering a Saatva Luxury Firm. Are those any good? Any other ones I should look into as well?

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m more concerned with coolness than I am with softness, so I guess this means I’m looking for something firmer?

yes, that’s going to tend to be the trade off, especially with memory foam. as for saatva, it’s hard to tell: they may be great, but questions have been raised about their marketing / use of reviews, and even if they’re good overall, a particular model may or may not be comfortable for you. i wish this were easier, mattress buying is by a comfortable margin the shittiest type of home / household procurement i’ve had the misfortune to encounter

Red Dad Redemption has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Nov 25, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

yes, that’s going to tend to be the trade off, especially with memory foam. as for saatva, it’s hard to tell: they may be great, but questions have been raised about their marketing / use of reviews, and even if they’re good overall, a particular model may or may not be comfortable for you. i wish this were easier, mattress buying is by a comfortable margin the shittiest type of home / household procurement i’ve had the misfortune to encounter

Has anybody itt ever actually laid on a Saatva Luxury Firm mattress? How does it feel? Does it have any plushness to it at all?

I went around to a couple of places this afternoon to lay on a few things and see if I could try something similar to a Saatva. I don’t know if I managed to do that, but I think now I’m looking for something a little bit closer to the medium category than medium-firm, and I’m wondering if a Saatva Luxury Firm would fit that bill.

I really wish Saatva would make this process easier by putting their poo poo in a brick-and-mortar store like every other company.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Any ideas for something cheapish from the physical Apple store? I've got a $25 gift card, but I don't have any Apple devices and don't need any cables.

I'm thinking of getting a couple more white hue lights, but I don't know if I'm forgetting about anything useful they might have there

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Are you asking if apple makes anything cool that costs $25?

E. One cool thing I got from an Apple store one time was a mouse whose USB cord retracted into itself. Pretty dope.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Nov 27, 2018

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Leave it to apple to extend the circumscision debate to peripherals

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I want a new couch. It should be a three seater with the third seat being long/something you can lay down on. Like a big L shape. Style doesn’t matter - I want ultimate comfort. Not sure what couches cost - no real budget. Doesn’t need recliners and fabric is better than leather. Where can I even shop?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

dantheman650 posted:

I want a new couch. It should be a three seater with the third seat being long/something you can lay down on. Like a big L shape. Style doesn’t matter - I want ultimate comfort. Not sure what couches cost - no real budget. Doesn’t need recliners and fabric is better than leather. Where can I even shop?

Depends on where you are physically located, intended purpose of couch, and how much you want to spend.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

dantheman650 posted:

I just went through all this, goondolences. I wound up settling for the green Ceni Sofa and ottoman from Article:

I really like the design and it seems like it's built from decent materials that'll be comfy enough. My runner up choice was the gray Landskrona sectional from ikea. Was going to get Ikea's Nockeby, but it's discontinued now, when I finally had enough saved up to buy it :(

Near as I can tell, one of the best indicators of quality so far as materials are concerned is to look for cold foam, or high resiliency/high density foam. Should be more supportive and last longer whereas regular foam will break down pretty fast, necessitating a new couch.

Hope that helps a little!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Queen Combat posted:

Like 15% of the population has a literally deadly latex allergy tho

Luckily latex matresses don't trigger those allegies in the large majority of them. And Talalay doesn't in nearly all of the rest: https://www.thesleepjudge.com/allergic-to-latex-mattress/

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's good to know, thanks. Our entire hospital went latex-free last year due to the severity of the allergies so I thought it would be a bigger deal. I wonder how breakdown of the mattresses affects the aerosolization of the proteins that may not be on the surface, though (of course a mattress manus response would be "don't let your mattress get that old).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Queen Combat posted:

I wonder how breakdown of the mattresses affects the aerosolization of the proteins that may not be on the surface, though (of course a mattress manus response would be "don't let your mattress get that old).

Problem with latex mattresses is they're effectively a giant slab of rubber with some holes poked in it. They last forever - I've had one since 2009, and when you flip/rotate it's like laying on a brand-new mattress.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Geoj posted:

Problem with latex mattresses is they're effectively a giant slab of rubber with some holes poked in it. They last forever - I've had one since 2009, and when you flip/rotate it's like laying on a brand-new mattress.

latex is also the comfort layer in some models with other support systems (e.g., pocket coil or other innerspring); and there's the option to use it as a separate replaceable topper for a mattress with different or more basic materials in the comfort layer

so potentially a less giant slab, depending on the construction

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for some good glass cleaner? I need to clean the glass so I can apply some Rain-X. It’s starting to rain in my area and my glass gets way too foggy too quickly.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Invisible Glass in the spray can.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm looking for a dual monitor kvm so I can dock my work laptop at home and switch both monitors and keyboard/mouse focus to that.

My initial thought was Microsoft remote desktop (from Mac to PC), but non federated users can't RDP log in because of group policy restrictions, so that's a no go on my work machine

I'm just looking for a way to click a button and switch with having to change both monitor inputs and swap peripheral connections. Any advice? Everything I'm seeing for dual monitor KVMs are absurdly price with outdated inputs (VGA/USB 2.0).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I used a USB A/B switch at a prior job to switch a Logitech unifying receiver between two computers that were on separate secure networks.

Combine that with connecting your devices to separate inputs on the monitor and switch between them using the monitor's settings.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm looking for a dual monitor kvm so I can dock my work laptop at home and switch both monitors and keyboard/mouse focus to that.

My initial thought was Microsoft remote desktop (from Mac to PC), but non federated users can't RDP log in because of group policy restrictions, so that's a no go on my work machine

I'm just looking for a way to click a button and switch with having to change both monitor inputs and swap peripheral connections. Any advice? Everything I'm seeing for dual monitor KVMs are absurdly price with outdated inputs (VGA/USB 2.0).

Once upon a time, I used an iogear KVM for exactly this purpose. I don't recommend getting anything for this that isn't absurdly expensive, meaning what I actually recommend is using your on-monitor switches for changing monitor inputs if possible and using a separate switch for your input devices. Seriously, you will be spending hundreds of dollars on a KVM just to stop yourself from having to reach over and adjust the monitor setting, and this is the easiest monitor setting to adjust. With the money you save on the KVM you could buy new monitors.

signalnoise has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Dec 2, 2018

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

HDCP and higher resolutions made kvms garbage.

I have a l1techs dual DisplayPort kvm and it’s a hot pile of poo poo. It sits on a shelf doing nothing.

I’ll sell you it if you want, but be warned, it’s loving garbage.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
How about a KVM for the inputs and an HDMI switch or two. Yeah it's two buttons but still pretty easy. "Dumb" bidirectional HDMI switches are like ten dollars.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Startech makes an ok KVM. I suggest hopping on their support chat and tell them your setup. Expect a cost upwards of $300 unfortunately.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

I used a USB A/B switch at a prior job to switch a Logitech unifying receiver between two computers that were on separate secure networks.

Combine that with connecting your devices to separate inputs on the monitor and switch between them using the monitor's settings.

That's probably just what I'm going to do, since the biggest bother is moving USB inputs. So stupid that I could pick up two fifteen dollar KVMs and switch them each to do both monitors, but combining them into one unit exponentially increases the price :(

Queen Combat posted:

How about a KVM for the inputs and an HDMI switch or two. Yeah it's two buttons but still pretty easy. "Dumb" bidirectional HDMI switches are like ten dollars.

That's a great idea! I'll just do a peripheral USB switch and an HDMI switch separate. I don't mind changing the inputs on the monitor, but it's a weird joystick on the rear of the monitor and feels like it'll break with too much use, as stupid as that is.

I appreciate all the advice! I felt really dumb and flabbergasted when every search result was a 300$ thing for a 10$ switch. Glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with what seems like a fairly common problem.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Any recommendations for a humidifier for a reasonably sized bedroom?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Big pot of water near a heat source.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the cheapo 12 dollar one I got at walmart worked okay, despite ostensibly being a vicks vaporizer

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So a while ago I asked for giant vacuum bags for a beanbag.

Well after a lot of searching I settled on a king sized mattress bag (5mm thick), a lot of duct tape and a canabalized seal from a smaller bag.

Cutting out the seal and reattaching it to this monster was actually really easy.

This thing normally takes up that whole space and is around 3 feet high.

I had to buy a cheap shopvac because my regular vacuum almost burnt out.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'd like a pair of slip-on rain boots that would be waterproof for up to 30 minutes at a time while my insane dog drags me through storms and puddles. We don't get rain all that frequently (central TX) but it can get ugly when we do. Ideally they'd be under $50. Am I basically looking at random Hunter knockoffs on Amazon or is there some secret go-to brand I'm not aware of?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone especially knowledgeable about roomba type vacuums?

I need one that’s under $500, as good on pet hair as possible and is less likely to get caught up on anything it hits like the old one I have.

Now I see there’s lots of brands and models and I have no idea which to get.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I have the roomba 800 and it does pretty good w/ pet hair. I have no comparison point.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Snowy posted:

Anyone especially knowledgeable about roomba type vacuums?

I need one that’s under $500, as good on pet hair as possible and is less likely to get caught up on anything it hits like the old one I have.

Now I see there’s lots of brands and models and I have no idea which to get.

Don't get one with the bristle brush, they get clogged and are a huge pain in the butt to regularly clean. The newer Roombas (890 and up, which is what I have) are unbelievable in how good they are. My chief complaint is having to empty the bin everyday and the lack of smart navigation, it's still random bouncing around (though I think the 890 is the last model that does that). I really really really want the newest i7 self emptying Roomba with the vacuum base, but I'm pissed at the expensive propriety bags and waiting for the next gen to be released. Then, robot vacuums with be 99% perfect. Right now the daily bin empty sucks, from a laziness standpoint.

As is, I'm blown away by the amount of crap it picks up, and the general lack of maintenance the tangle free rubber brushes have vs earlier bristle brush Roombas. I'd say it's about 40-60 getting back to its dock vacuuming four largely basic rooms. Plus the lithium battery is pretty freaking sweet compared to the earlier nicad that frequently died and needed replaced, and the suction is comparable to a foor vacuum.

Tldr, the Roomba 890 is about 75% replacement for standalone vacuum. The other bits still need improvement, which appears to either be here or right around the corner.

E: quick Google search shows the 890 is ~400$, which is what I paid a year ago. The scheduling feature is also pretty nice, as well as being able to tell Alexa to clean my house

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Awesome, thank you both, that helps a lot. Now I just have to look up next gen roombas to see when they might launch :v:

I’ll probably go for the 890

E- yeah drat that i7 is sweet but gently caress proprietary bags. Maybe AliExpress has some bootlegs.

Snowy has a new favorite as of 07:47 on Dec 24, 2018

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I picked up one of these to help with pet hair (large dog and two cats) and it’s been awesome. It is intended for hardwoods (or very short carpet) so keep that in mind.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077HW9XM7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_v.riCb9VRP59E

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm ordering my mother in a law a new lighter for her glass pipe. Are any of these rechargeable arc lighters worth it or are they just a gimmick? Otherwise, what's the best traditional lighter?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Arc lighters are awesome for some things, but I wouldn't think lighting a glass pipe is one of them. Just get her the largest package of bics you can find.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Chas McGill posted:

I'm ordering my mother in a law a new lighter for her glass pipe. Are any of these rechargeable arc lighters worth it or are they just a gimmick? Otherwise, what's the best traditional lighter?

Cricket lighters are great and cheap, but most nicer lighters aren't geared toward pipe use. Hemp wick is often used for this, though, and is consumable so a perennial cheap gift idea.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking for a slim front pocket wallet like this one. But I want it with 3 slots on each side instead of two. The only one I could find was Coach one and a bunch of cheap flimsy looking Amazon ones. Any suggestions on brands?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

obi_ant posted:

Looking for a slim front pocket wallet like this one. But I want it with 3 slots on each side instead of two. The only one I could find was Coach one and a bunch of cheap flimsy looking Amazon ones. Any suggestions on brands?

Forget the wallet and just get a silicone card sleeve for your phone and never look back. Best quality of life improvement, especially as you'll never lose or forget your wallet again, and it forces you to trim down to 2-3 cards and a twenty in cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Snowy posted:

Awesome, thank you both, that helps a lot. Now I just have to look up next gen roombas to see when they might launch :v:

I’ll probably go for the 890

E- yeah drat that i7 is sweet but gently caress proprietary bags. Maybe AliExpress has some bootlegs.

Last I looked at it in depth, the neato botvac was my second choice, but I'm pretty happy with the 890 a year after purchase. It's substantially improved on the earlier Roombas, and I think you'd be happy with anything 890 or above. It seems like a bunch of other companies are finally really getting into the robotic vacuum space, so I'm really hoping there will be some game changing stuff in the next year or two, like the self emptying i7. That's really the major pain point of robotic vacuums in my opinion, is you still have to put work into emptying it, and finding it when they don't make it home . But the suction is great, and they make owning pets a lot simpler.

Now if only I could get my last cat to use the litter robot open air, my robotic pet care would be complete...