Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zereth posted:

What are these Compassion Boosters for in Xenoblade 2? And, you know, the other 3 types.

The gently, but not guaranteeable, nudge the core you are opening to be of one of the two element types associated with the booster you used.

They are utterly pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Barudak posted:

The gently, but not guaranteeable, nudge the core you are opening to be of one of the two element types associated with the booster you used.

They are utterly pointless.
There's elements associated with them???

Also I couldn't trade in some crap to one of the trades because I can only hold 5 of each type at a time so I guess I should always use up all the ones I have when cracking a gacha capsule.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zereth posted:

Also I couldn't trade in some crap to one of the trades because I can only hold 5 of each type at a time so I guess I should always use up all the ones I have when cracking a gacha capsule.

Yeah there is one super effective pairing associated with each one. They have such a negligible impact on what you draw theres really no reason to use them at all.

Also whenever the game gives you the shop tutorial about buying deeds be aware 90% of deeds are locked behind doing mercenary quests which it wont introduce for another dozen hours so you arent crazy, the game just hates clean design.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Barudak posted:

Yeah there is one super effective pairing associated with each one. They have such a negligible impact on what you draw theres really no reason to use them at all.

Also whenever the game gives you the shop tutorial about buying deeds be aware 90% of deeds are locked behind doing mercenary quests which it wont introduce for another dozen hours so you arent crazy, the game just hates clean design.
Excuse me I just gave a reason to use them in that post you quoted. :colbert: They're worth a whopping 5 gold each to sell, so it's not worth SELLING the drat things, might as well just pick some to use when smashing a core into your face so you don't fill up.

And yeah it warned me that not every shop has one, so I looked up what was available in the town I was in and the answer was "nothing until you get it to level 5 and complete a mercenary mission, which haven't been introduced yet".

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zereth posted:

Excuse me I just gave a reason to use them in that post you quoted. :colbert: They're worth a whopping 5 gold each to sell, so it's not worth SELLING the drat things, might as well just pick some to use when smashing a core into your face so you don't fill up.

And yeah it warned me that not every shop has one, so I looked up what was available in the town I was in and the answer was "nothing until you get it to level 5 and complete a mercenary mission, which haven't been introduced yet".

Make sure to stay on top of selling things if you want an inventory that's manageable to sift through. I started NG+ recently before deciding to put it off because of the DLC hard mode, and I spent literally 15 minutes manually selling every item in my inventory

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zereth posted:

You'll be able to unlock the ability to hold more Boosters later in the game.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If you use a booster, then any rare blade you pull has a much higher chance of having one of those two elements. That's it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'll be able to unlock the ability to hold more Boosters later in the game.

Not that it really matters, boosters aren’t a thing worth caring about.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What's a Driver Combo? Some of my blades want to be present when one happens in order to activate a node in their affinity chart, but i'm not sure what it... is.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Driver Combos are the break>topple>launch>smash chains. I don't think you have to do all four steps for it to count.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zereth posted:

What's a Driver Combo? Some of my blades want to be present when one happens in order to activate a node in their affinity chart, but i'm not sure what it... is.

If you havent met the mercenary guy yet who joins your party you arent allowed to do them.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

"Driver Combo" refers to inflicting Break, then Topple, then Launch, then Smash on an enemy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Getsuya posted:

I’m gonna take a break from E&L and pop in Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song. Anyone got any pointers? This is my first time with MinSong but not with the SaGa series. I haven’t been able to beat any but I’ve played quite a few.

I was gonna post this yesterday but then the forums went down. Minstrel Song is a ridiculously complex game and if I had just condensed this poo poo down to a couple sentences per section it would just confuse you more.

Now keep in mind that you can disregard all this, and I did the first time I played this game. However, it took me probably close to FIFTY retries to beat the final boss, through RNG.

1) Job Classes, Jewels, and Quests

Job classes are SUPER important. They're way too detailed to even briefly describe the individual classes here but you really should read a guide about their effects. Some are harder to change to than others, and some are insanely valuable while most are complete garbage. You increase their levels by spending Jewels at skill trainers. There are two ways to do this: leveling individual skills that correspond to the class, or finding a trainer who outright offers specific training of the class you want. Jewels are in short supply and you get a 25%(?) discount when directly leveling a class at a trainer who offers it.

Most of your Jewels come from completing quests, and the more quests you complete, the more Jewels you'll get for completing them. You get a tiny handful for fighting monsters, and you get 1 every time you activate a skill, so you technically have access to an unlimited supply of them, but it's not advisable to treat it as such. Use a guide to do as many quests as possible to maximize your normal Jewel income.

DO THE FAERIE'S GROVE QUEST. USE A GUIDE. It permanently increases your LP.

2) Field Skills

Related to leveling jobs and spending jewels, there are what six(? eight?) field skills you can train yourself in. Survival, Search, Covert, etc. Each one increases your ability to interact with the world like "jump over pits" or "climb a cliff face." Some let you find and gather herbs and ores for crafting.

For basic play, the exploration skills are important. You need to be able to Find Traps, Find Chests, Jump, and Climb, no matter what else you do. A more mid-level player will get to know about gathering with Find Ore + Mine, Find Herbs + Harvest, and Find Treasure + Excavate; the game doesn't really explain these things to you from the beginning but honestly you should be gathering poo poo from day one. They can give you a tremendous advantage.

You should read a guide to know which skills to bring to each location. You can only bring five skills at once, and can only change them in a town, so choose wisely.

Every skill you equip increases your total skill uses by (1 + total level of all party members in the related skill). So if you equip Harvest, and all five characters in your party has 3 ranks in Herbology, it would increase your maximum skill uses by 16. If you equipped Mine and your main character has 5 ranks in Mining, and everyone else has 1, it would increase your max uses by 10; paired, that would bring your total to 26 and you still have three more skill slots to fill. You can restore this simply by staying at an inn for 0 gold, or even by just changing your skill loadout.

The most advanced players who want to min-max their Battle Rank (and you should care about this because it increases the amount of Jewels you'll have the easiest access to throughout the game) must learn the value of Covert--Sneak, Move Silently, etc. Covert is supremely powerful because it lets you pick and choose which enemies to encounter. Most enemies are faster than you, and all are very difficult to dodge. Running away in this game costs 5LP per battle, and you can mitigate this cost completely by simply sneaking past enemies so their field sprites are just unable to aggro you. The higher your Covert level, the longer the Covert skills will persist. Pick your fights, and control your BR at your own pace.

There's also Trading, which I hear is even more powerful than Covert, but I've never figured it out myself.

3) WP and LP

Weapon skill levels reduce WP and LP costs for spells and special attacks. Normally, you only get up to five stages of reduction, but if the weapon skill is on your current class's list, your class level and your weapon skill level are combined, meaning you can get up to ten stages of WP/LP discount if you plan intelligently.

Tech Crown is granted when you know 10 more unique weapon techs than you know magic spells. Magic Crown is granted when you know 10 more active spells (no conflicting schools) than you know weapon techs. Magic Crown is easier to get in the early game, but much harder to keep if you use a weapon ever (which you should be doing, to keep your stat growths up). You know other SaGa games, but if you don't know what this is specifically, it reduces WP+LP costs by one additional stage.

4) Crafting

Crafting is a :psyduck: mindfuck rabbit hole but you really must read and learn about it. It's integral to succeeding in this game. It's soooooo long-winded though.

Short version: when you go to blacksmith shop, you can temper weapons and armor with the materials they're offering, or with your own that you've mined or gotten as drops from enemies. This modifies base attack, bonus or malus to LP, its durability before it breaks, and sometimes grants a passive effect of some type. When tempering weapons (and weapons only), some materials will be listed in red. If you temper with that, and spend many fights using it, eventually, it'll gain a +1, permanently increasing its base attack by 10%.

Tempering with most materials increases the WP+LP+durability costs of a weapon. You really must synergize your class to your weapons to get the most out of their cost reductions or many of your weapons will break before they level up, and most weapons can only be tempered to level with fairly rare materials.

This is only scratching the surface. If you want to do all the cool side content, you have to learn all about the passive effects of the high level materials.

5) Other

Healing items and magic are supremely useful. It's also very important to keep track of your total equipment weight because it negatively impacts your turn order. Everyone in your party should have levels in a school of magic that gives them access to a healing spell, even if their job class doesn't include it on its skill list. I cannot stress the importance of every party member having access to powerful healing magic at all times enough.

REVIVE is not really a healing spell. It's good, because when your HP reaches 0, it burns out your

Buff spells are good, but they are better later in the game. Most of them work off a percentage increase, and a 20% increase to 8 base power on a weapon ain't poo poo.

Debuffs are better, though, because they usually decrease individual stats. They stack (if not very high), and they can make seemingly impossible fights winnable.

Shield spells are best. Well, okay, when you really start learning about Minstrel Song's insane magic system, you'll find one or two things that are even better than shield spells, but this is just a good rule of thumb.

except for wall of fire, it sucks fat dicks but even so it's still useful once or twice

KEEP IN MIND that if you like Revive, which you should, because as long as it's up you'll come back at full HP once at the price of a 1LP ante, it's considered a Shield-type spell, and Shield-type spells DO NOT STACK. Sadly, no, you can never have Revive and Aegis up at the same time.

NEVER meet with or talk to Prince Neidhart unless your specific goal is to permanently put him in your party. If you ever meet with him (even if it's required during your character's story) and he isn't in your party later on, there's a point very late in the game where he will steal the best armor for himself, and murder an optional party member who is way cooler than he is.

Read a guide. Read a ton of guides. Read many different guides by many different authors. Most of them have information that's only accurate in certain places.

god drat that's a lot of words. but minstrel song is a game that requires a lot of words

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
god, saga games amirite

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

well i unlocked the mercenary systems
guess that explains why the higher affinity ranks for the bird blade all had requirements of ????

so, uh, is there... anything I need to know about it? Should be be concentrating on the purple missions which seem to give me key items and poo poo?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... i just hit reply where'd my post go it's not here

EDIT: oh hello post nice to see you again

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Posts are taking a few minutes to show up the forums are moderately broken

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways double post but I finished Totori. I guess this one was from before they figured out selectable endings, so I got the Mel ending. Which isn't what I would have picked but I guess it's also the Ceci ending and Ceci is very good. It seems like manipulating your ending is kind of a pain so whatever.

Here's my played-in-2018 Atelier rankings

S tier
Ayesha
Lydie and Suelle
A hypothetical Totori with modern QoL

A tier
Totori
Escha and Logy
Rorona

B tier
Sophie
Shallie

C tier
Annie (good writing but just not fun)

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Barudak posted:

If you havent met the mercenary guy yet who joins your party you arent allowed to do them.

Yes you are. He just gives you the tutorial and adds topple to Anchor Shot, the game doesn't stop you from doing them before that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think Barudak was conflating Driver Combo with Chain Attack.

Which is reasonable because aaaaa systems and system names

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
remake Annie and make it fun please. Annie's the most relatable protag.

Oh right, I completely forgot that there was an Annie sequel that never came out.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Project P5R had its url pointed to Atlus servers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zereth posted:

well i unlocked the mercenary systems
guess that explains why the higher affinity ranks for the bird blade all had requirements of ????

so, uh, is there... anything I need to know about it? Should be be concentrating on the purple missions which seem to give me key items and poo poo?

Concentrare on the whatever the ones which unlock key items and ignore the others until you run out of those. Be advised when you hit the cap for a given level of mercenary rank youll want to drop everything to go level up your rank but for some unfathomable reason the earlier levels are massively more difficult. I honestly at this point would recommend just playing as normal and being ready, if youre like me, and level 30 or 40 asked to kill three waves of 45 plus enemey drivers, to crank down the difficulty when you hit that spike.

Also if you dont have ursula yet you missed out on her ever being feasible to use during the main game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

I was gonna post this yesterday but then the forums went down. Minstrel Song is a ridiculously complex game and if I had just condensed this poo poo down to a couple sentences per section it would just confuse you more.

Now keep in mind that you can disregard all this, and I did the first time I played this game. However, it took me probably close to FIFTY retries to beat the final boss, through RNG.

1) Job Classes, Jewels, and Quests

Job classes are SUPER important. They're way too detailed to even briefly describe the individual classes here but you really should read a guide about their effects. Some are harder to change to than others, and some are insanely valuable while most are complete garbage. You increase their levels by spending Jewels at skill trainers. There are two ways to do this: leveling individual skills that correspond to the class, or finding a trainer who outright offers specific training of the class you want. Jewels are in short supply and you get a 25%(?) discount when directly leveling a class at a trainer who offers it.

Most of your Jewels come from completing quests, and the more quests you complete, the more Jewels you'll get for completing them. You get a tiny handful for fighting monsters, and you get 1 every time you activate a skill, so you technically have access to an unlimited supply of them, but it's not advisable to treat it as such. Use a guide to do as many quests as possible to maximize your normal Jewel income.

DO THE FAERIE'S GROVE QUEST. USE A GUIDE. It permanently increases your LP.

2) Field Skills

Related to leveling jobs and spending jewels, there are what six(? eight?) field skills you can train yourself in. Survival, Search, Covert, etc. Each one increases your ability to interact with the world like "jump over pits" or "climb a cliff face." Some let you find and gather herbs and ores for crafting.

For basic play, the exploration skills are important. You need to be able to Find Traps, Find Chests, Jump, and Climb, no matter what else you do. A more mid-level player will get to know about gathering with Find Ore + Mine, Find Herbs + Harvest, and Find Treasure + Excavate; the game doesn't really explain these things to you from the beginning but honestly you should be gathering poo poo from day one. They can give you a tremendous advantage.

You should read a guide to know which skills to bring to each location. You can only bring five skills at once, and can only change them in a town, so choose wisely.

Every skill you equip increases your total skill uses by (1 + total level of all party members in the related skill). So if you equip Harvest, and all five characters in your party has 3 ranks in Herbology, it would increase your maximum skill uses by 16. If you equipped Mine and your main character has 5 ranks in Mining, and everyone else has 1, it would increase your max uses by 10; paired, that would bring your total to 26 and you still have three more skill slots to fill. You can restore this simply by staying at an inn for 0 gold, or even by just changing your skill loadout.

The most advanced players who want to min-max their Battle Rank (and you should care about this because it increases the amount of Jewels you'll have the easiest access to throughout the game) must learn the value of Covert--Sneak, Move Silently, etc. Covert is supremely powerful because it lets you pick and choose which enemies to encounter. Most enemies are faster than you, and all are very difficult to dodge. Running away in this game costs 5LP per battle, and you can mitigate this cost completely by simply sneaking past enemies so their field sprites are just unable to aggro you. The higher your Covert level, the longer the Covert skills will persist. Pick your fights, and control your BR at your own pace.

There's also Trading, which I hear is even more powerful than Covert, but I've never figured it out myself.

3) WP and LP

Weapon skill levels reduce WP and LP costs for spells and special attacks. Normally, you only get up to five stages of reduction, but if the weapon skill is on your current class's list, your class level and your weapon skill level are combined, meaning you can get up to ten stages of WP/LP discount if you plan intelligently.

Tech Crown is granted when you know 10 more unique weapon techs than you know magic spells. Magic Crown is granted when you know 10 more active spells (no conflicting schools) than you know weapon techs. Magic Crown is easier to get in the early game, but much harder to keep if you use a weapon ever (which you should be doing, to keep your stat growths up). You know other SaGa games, but if you don't know what this is specifically, it reduces WP+LP costs by one additional stage.

4) Crafting

Crafting is a :psyduck: mindfuck rabbit hole but you really must read and learn about it. It's integral to succeeding in this game. It's soooooo long-winded though.

Short version: when you go to blacksmith shop, you can temper weapons and armor with the materials they're offering, or with your own that you've mined or gotten as drops from enemies. This modifies base attack, bonus or malus to LP, its durability before it breaks, and sometimes grants a passive effect of some type. When tempering weapons (and weapons only), some materials will be listed in red. If you temper with that, and spend many fights using it, eventually, it'll gain a +1, permanently increasing its base attack by 10%.

Tempering with most materials increases the WP+LP+durability costs of a weapon. You really must synergize your class to your weapons to get the most out of their cost reductions or many of your weapons will break before they level up, and most weapons can only be tempered to level with fairly rare materials.

This is only scratching the surface. If you want to do all the cool side content, you have to learn all about the passive effects of the high level materials.

5) Other

Healing items and magic are supremely useful. It's also very important to keep track of your total equipment weight because it negatively impacts your turn order. Everyone in your party should have levels in a school of magic that gives them access to a healing spell, even if their job class doesn't include it on its skill list. I cannot stress the importance of every party member having access to powerful healing magic at all times enough.

REVIVE is not really a healing spell. It's good, because when your HP reaches 0, it burns out your

Buff spells are good, but they are better later in the game. Most of them work off a percentage increase, and a 20% increase to 8 base power on a weapon ain't poo poo.

Debuffs are better, though, because they usually decrease individual stats. They stack (if not very high), and they can make seemingly impossible fights winnable.

Shield spells are best. Well, okay, when you really start learning about Minstrel Song's insane magic system, you'll find one or two things that are even better than shield spells, but this is just a good rule of thumb.

except for wall of fire, it sucks fat dicks but even so it's still useful once or twice

KEEP IN MIND that if you like Revive, which you should, because as long as it's up you'll come back at full HP once at the price of a 1LP ante, it's considered a Shield-type spell, and Shield-type spells DO NOT STACK. Sadly, no, you can never have Revive and Aegis up at the same time.

NEVER meet with or talk to Prince Neidhart unless your specific goal is to permanently put him in your party. If you ever meet with him (even if it's required during your character's story) and he isn't in your party later on, there's a point very late in the game where he will steal the best armor for himself, and murder an optional party member who is way cooler than he is.

Read a guide. Read a ton of guides. Read many different guides by many different authors. Most of them have information that's only accurate in certain places.

god drat that's a lot of words. but minstrel song is a game that requires a lot of words

Don't do all this stuff and just have fun being confused and accept that you may be unable to beat the final boss and you'll have 10000x more fun

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Barudak posted:

Also if you dont have ursula yet you missed out on her ever being feasible to use during the main game.
What's Urusula?

... oh, i see

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zereth posted:

What's Urusula?

... oh, i see

Its worse than your google search is letting on; shes fully unuseable and taking up an entire mercenary slot that entire time and finishing her quest in a mere 16 hours requires getting lucky with the gatcha and drawing the exact other rare blades you need because she has a final quest (that you can skip if you grind even more in previous quests) thats locked behind rare blade only skills.

If you do finish her quest you have an absurdly powerful healer in a game where the post game you no longer need a healer due to items.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

At some point you should probably just cheat and/or watch the LP instead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ursula is weird as she isn’t a big deal if you get early but a nightmare if you get her mid to late game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

remake Annie and make it fun please. Annie's the most relatable protag.

Oh right, I completely forgot that there was an Annie sequel that never came out.

Yeah seriously she's great. Might be my favorite atelier protagonist

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

BotW is cool, definitely see the hype. That being said, I'm about to perform a mistake I've never made before in my life and play two games at the same time. I just got off the Great Plateau, but what's this? That's right, it's Xenoblade 2 DLC time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Meruru is wearing a dumb hat and half of a cape. She's an alchemist alright.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Both an Alchemist and Royalty, hence the tiny crown.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

cheetah7071 posted:

Meruru is wearing a dumb hat and half of a cape. She's an alchemist alright.
Unlike actual chemistry, which is largely done by people in sensible lab coats, alchemy demands silly hats and utterly impractical uniforms. If you're not wearing something that would probably get an actual scientist killed in an accident, your alchemy is bush-league at best.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Commander Keene posted:

Unlike actual chemistry, which is largely done by people in sensible lab coats, alchemy demands silly hats and utterly impractical uniforms. If you're not wearing something that would probably get an actual scientist killed in an accident, your alchemy is bush-league at best.

is that why Sophie changes outfits halfway through

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
between talking about the atelier games and your av I want you to know I think you must be some kind of druid

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Commander Keene posted:

Robes give more surface area to write arcane runes on. Oh, the runes don't do anything in themselves, but they let everyone know wizardly business is afoot.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Cheetah, did you ever feel burnout playing all those Atelier games?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Atelier games are each different enough to where they don't feel too bad playing next to each other. I played Sophie and Firis basically back to back. The earlier ones are also somewhat short, so it's not like a 40+ hour trek each time.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in month 7 of Year 2 in in Ayesha and working on Keith's storyline, and once I wrap that up will probably go to finish the main goal. I feel bad about stressing over time since it looks like I"ll have well over a year left over to focus on cleaning up everything I missed and finishing character stories. I'm also proud that I finally sorta understand the crafting system this late in the game. I can now see the appeal of NG+ because starting with this knowledge would have been really helpful.

I have three days left on my PS Now trial and I can probably finish Ayesha tomorrow. To get the most out of trial, I'll start Escha and Logy and see how far I get before deciding whether or not to pay for it. I'm definitely warming up to the service again as other than the inactivity timer its been pretty flawless.

I love the music so much, so much softness and melancholy in the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwOUfxB8Fzg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/gustatelierpr/status/1077499229059203077?s=21

Atelier Lulua box art.