Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Not even remotely news tbh. No one other than a die hard trumpist actually buys the bone spurs nonsense. Trump draft dodged because he was rich, news at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I think they are loving metal

I wouldn't go that far but I do find it amusing we've got Delia Deetz decorating the White House.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

The average D voter is FOR Medicare for All.

So is the average R voter

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Would people be able to opt out of a Medicare For All system?

I was arguing with a friend and I said no, they shouldn’t. He said they should be able to opt out and buy their own private insurance.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

enraged_camel posted:

I was arguing with a friend and I said no, they shouldn’t. He said they should be able to opt out and buy their own private insurance.

That’s really the controversy within the Democratic Party right now, and I think the primaries will focus on it. But most countries with UHC do allow private insurance.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

enraged_camel posted:

Please refer your friend to the last two words of "Medicare For All." I guess you could buy -more- insurance if you wanted to, but the whole point is that everyone gets it.

It's like Eisenhower's radical "Interstate Highways For All" system.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The whitehouse Christmas displays are an extremely average displays any large mid class department store would have and no trump actually designed any of them and it’s been this threads tan suit crisis every time it’s posted.

I know you love love LOVE this analogy and use it whenever the Christmas displays are brought up but a) no one is saying Melania should be drummed out of Washington because of them, it's just funny, and b) what the gently caress department store are you shopping at??

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I would say no to "opting out" (and certainly no to that giving you a tax discount), but supplemental private insurance would possibly be okay, depending on how strong the bill is on protecting conditions/procedures under the MfA.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So it would act as some sort of "public option"? Interesting. Weird that nobody has thought of this

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Caros posted:

Not even remotely news tbh. No one other than a die hard trumpist actually buys the bone spurs nonsense. Trump draft dodged because he was rich, news at 11.
As with the NYT's piece on his tax dodging, these are still useful stories insofar as we as a society differentiate 'lock-her-up' bullshit and plumbing the infinite depths of Donald Trump's malfeasance. It does not hurt to have a clear public record of every single lie, cheat and scam the president ever pulled, no matter how seemingly mundane they may be. From the standpoint of this being the NYT, a bootlicking rag that Trump aches to be noticed by, this is really good news because it'll filter back to him eventually through TV that his local paper has yet another A1 headline that boils down to EAT poo poo DONNIE. Let him stew in his cable news rage all winter long, edging ever closer to a stroke.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

enraged_camel posted:

"Opt-out" is the wrong term. You should be able to buy extra insurance if you want but you'll still be paying into and receiving Medicare benefits.

This is actually how a lot of insurance plans already work. If you are eligible for Medicare you file with Medicare first and then the insurance will (theoretically) cover any additional poo poo that Medicare denies.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

Some countries have a two part system, but as far as I have heard you still pay the higher taxes that come with universal health coverage. You just have the option to use private insurance as well. So it'd be similar to paying property taxes while sending your kids to private school.

I don't know how accurate it is, but my Vermont family says Canadians come across the border for medical treatment with their private insurance. And obviously if a Canadian wants to travel to America they have options to buy insurance in case of an accident.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mastajake posted:

I would say no to "opting out" (and certainly no to that giving you a tax discount), but supplemental private insurance would possibly be okay, depending on how strong the bill is on protecting conditions/procedures under the MfA.

There would probably still be private insurance plans under MfA, just like you have Medicare Advantage plans that provide more expanded coverage for hospital and medical than Medicare.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Caros posted:

I dunno, maybe if we forge a letter from the podiatrist and date it 1973 and print it out from Microsoft Word and crumple it up and smooth it out and send it to Dan Rather

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

SocketWrench posted:

Given that it was a semi auto pistol he had to have that bitch cocked when he went there. It takes effort to pull the slide and him picking it up by the grip isn't enough by any chance. This is not safe or responsible no matter who you are. You NEVER carry a gun cocked unless you are in a situation where you have to use it.
Two years probe is extremely light considering he did that. Even 19th century cowboys knew better and would carry with the hammer closed on an empty chamber

This is ether wrong or obsolete information.

Modern semi auto pistols are considered faulty if they can be dropped and go off. Most pistols being used by police departments these days don’t have external hammers for the user to manipulate or get caught on things.

SIG (won the contract to replace the M9) had to do a massive recall of their pistols when it was discovered they weren’t drop safe. Any manufacturer of any gun would do this.

In 99% of cases of a “the gun just went off” the user had their booger hook on the trigger and pressed it, or had modified the gun such that even the slightest pressure or vibration could send the firing pin forward

In any case I agree that two years probation is a light sentence.

Also no reputable trainer advocates carrying a gun without a round being chambered for the reasons above and others that I won’t bother talking about because it’s gun nerd stuff and boing.

If police are doing so it’s because their department is more concerned about the officer shooting theselves in the leg. “Accidential self inflicted gunshot wound” has got to be in the top 3 reasons a cop gets injured on the job as they get almost no firearms training.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

1glitch0 posted:

I know you love love LOVE this analogy and use it whenever the Christmas displays are brought up but a) no one is saying Melania should be drummed out of Washington because of them, it's just funny, and b) what the gently caress department store are you shopping at??

I'm not using this as an analogy, it's literally what "high end" department store holiday displays always look like.

bergdorf goodman

Lafayette:

Harrods:

Name a department store other than a mall department store and like, this is it, this is how they decorate, lots of monocolor, lots of abstract shapes, lots of representational stuff, like none of this is something any trump made up, it's literally just a thing. They aren't making some unique display, they are just doing "hey, make it look that mid level fancy that a flagship department store has"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh cool I've always wanted to celebrate the cyber trombone future messiah.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

Then the president asked her a puzzling question:

“Because at 7, that’s marginal, right?”

Lloyd had never heard that word before, “marginal.”

“Yes, sir,” she said.

She didn’t know it, but his comment about her age being marginal — and her response — would spark national news stories that night and the following morning.

Lloyd never did learn Santa’s whereabouts, but she was glad to be able to talk with her nation’s leader.

“I was like, ‘wow.’ I was shocked,” she said. “It wasn’t really (nerve-wracking), I just had to think of what the truth was.”

After the president hung up the phone, Lloyd sat in her kitchen with her parents, her 10-year-old sister, her 5-year-old brother and a friend. She wondered about Trump’s family, and what his Christmas Eve plans were.

If she ever had the chance to talk to the president again, Lloyd said, she’d ask him about his family.

“Most people know this question. I would like to ask if he has any kids,” she said. “I’ve honestly never heard of them or seen any of them so I was wondering.”

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/do-a-marginal-number-of--year-olds-believe-in/article_2c86d3ec-0876-11e9-a470-87234a04ef7e.html

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm not using this as an analogy, it's literally what "high end" department store holiday displays always look like.

bergdorf goodman

Lafayette:

Harrods:

Name a department store other than a mall department store and like, this is it, this is how they decorate, lots of monocolor, lots of abstract shapes, lots of representational stuff, like none of this is something any trump made up, it's literally just a thing. They aren't making some unique display, they are just doing "hey, make it look that mid level fancy that a flagship department store has"

That looks like tiers better than any of the displays shown at the White House.

Melania is like the Dunning-Kruger of fashion. Just because she was a model during the '90s (and not like any of the ones you've heard of like Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington, Naomi Campbell, or Cindy Crawford), she thinks she's knows more than just wearing the clothes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bannon’s cancer is spreading

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7129_story.html

(Unfortunately, not literal cancer)

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Young Freud posted:

That looks like tiers better than any of the displays shown at the White House.

Melania is like the Dunning-Kruger of fashion. Just because she was a model during the '90s (and not like any of the ones you've heard of like Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington, Naomi Campbell, or Cindy Crawford), she thinks she's knows more than just wearing the clothes.

Owl always picks the weirdest hills to make a stand so it isn't a surprise he chose this one.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

It really does have a Godfather-like quality to it.

When the Podiatrist moves in...
"Someday, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me."

Years later...

" I want you to use all your powers and all your skills. I don't want the draft board to see him this way. "

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 26, 2018

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

white sauce posted:

So is the average R voter

This is kinda true. They just don't like the fact the only side that ever pushes for it isn't theirs

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ZobarStyl posted:

As with the NYT's piece on his tax dodging, these are still useful stories insofar as we as a society differentiate 'lock-her-up' bullshit and plumbing the infinite depths of Donald Trump's malfeasance. It does not hurt to have a clear public record of every single lie, cheat and scam the president ever pulled, no matter how seemingly mundane they may be. From the standpoint of this being the NYT, a bootlicking rag that Trump aches to be noticed by, this is really good news because it'll filter back to him eventually through TV that his local paper has yet another A1 headline that boils down to EAT poo poo DONNIE. Let him stew in his cable news rage all winter long, edging ever closer to a stroke.

Maybe so, but does it really prove Trump is dumb?

(this is sarcasm by the way)

Numlock posted:

This is ether wrong or obsolete information.

Modern semi auto pistols are considered faulty if they can be dropped and go off. Most pistols being used by police departments these days don’t have external hammers for the user to manipulate or get caught on things.

SIG (won the contract to replace the M9) had to do a massive recall of their pistols when it was discovered they weren’t drop safe. Any manufacturer of any gun would do this.

In 99% of cases of a “the gun just went off” the user had their booger hook on the trigger and pressed it, or had modified the gun such that even the slightest pressure or vibration could send the firing pin forward

In any case I agree that two years probation is a light sentence.

Also no reputable trainer advocates carrying a gun without a round being chambered for the reasons above and others that I won’t bother talking about because it’s gun nerd stuff and boing.

If police are doing so it’s because their department is more concerned about the officer shooting theselves in the leg. “Accidential self inflicted gunshot wound” has got to be in the top 3 reasons a cop gets injured on the job as they get almost no firearms training.

It didn't go off because it got dropped, it went off because he squeezed the trigger in the dash to pick it up. Watch the vid of it. It fell and was fine, it went off when the guy fumbled to pick it up. He already had a round loaded and the weapon was ready to fire.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 26, 2018

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Some countries have a two part system, but as far as I have heard you still pay the higher taxes that come with universal health coverage. You just have the option to use private insurance as well. So it'd be similar to paying property taxes while sending your kids to private school.

I don't know how accurate it is, but my Vermont family says Canadians come across the border for medical treatment with their private insurance. And obviously if a Canadian wants to travel to America they have options to buy insurance in case of an accident.

I'm not aware of any private medical insurance up here that would cover an optional trip to the US for medical care. Most private insurance either covers the gaps in our universal care (dental, vision, drugs, etc...), since provinces are only mandated to cover any services performed in a doctor's office or hospital. Accidental care yeah, but all the policies make it very clear that the millisecond they think you're stable enough to travel, you're flying back to Canada for treatment since private medivac flights are a hell of a lot cheaper than getting surgery in the States.

IIRC most people who cross the border for treatment have some sort of non-life threatening ailment and don't want to have to wait for the surgery up here.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SocketWrench posted:

This is kinda true. They just don't like the fact the only side that ever pushes for it isn't theirs

Or it being for people that don't look like them.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Bannon’s cancer is spreading

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7129_story.html

(Unfortunately, not literal cancer)

How in the world is Steve Bannon still getting print in major newspapers? The dude is pulling in like five people a speech.

https://twitter.com/joshrobin/status/1054533934170755074

The only thing keeping this guy relevant is his ability to convince OpEd writers he's still relevant.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Markets online and looking good.

Countdown to Mnuchin tweeting that he called Campbell's and they have plenty of stock for any soup kitchens in 3...2...1.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm not aware of any private medical insurance up here that would cover an optional trip to the US for medical care. Most private insurance either covers the gaps in our universal care (dental, vision, drugs, etc...), since provinces are only mandated to cover any services performed in a doctor's office or hospital. Accidental care yeah, but all the policies make it very clear that the millisecond they think you're stable enough to travel, you're flying back to Canada for treatment since private medivac flights are a hell of a lot cheaper than getting surgery in the States.

IIRC most people who cross the border for treatment have some sort of non-life threatening ailment and don't want to have to wait for the surgery up here.

Perhaps they are buying insurance based in the US specifically aimed at foreigners. And yeah, cross border procedures not related to accidents during travel are usually for elective or non-emergency needs.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Armchair judges like this is how we get mandatory minimums.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

How in the world is Steve Bannon still getting print in major newspapers? The dude is pulling in like five people a speech.

The only thing keeping this guy relevant is his ability to convince OpEd writers he's still relevant.

OpEd writers are mostly crypto-fascists so they are ideologically aligned.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

Eh, the WaPo article is only tangentially about Bannon. One of his henchmen is starting some kind of right-wing politician factory over in Italy.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Every time Melania's decorations are posted most people like them.

gently caress the people in this thread are goddamn dense. Yes it looks cool and and striking. It's basically (german) expressionist.

While aesthetically striking, most people's point is that sharp, starkly lit angles pointing off everywhere, a visual style usually reserved for visual representation of negative themes, is an odd loving choice for Christmas decorations in the white house. Ivan's Childhood is a good film but no one decorates their Christmas tree that way if they're not internally recoiling at the horror of their own existence

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 26, 2018

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

gently caress the people in this thread are goddamn dense. Yes it looks cool and and striking. It's basically expressionist.

While aesthetically striking, most people's point is that sharp, starkly lit angles pointing off everywhere, a visual style usually reserved for visual representation of negative themes, is an odd loving choice for Christmas decorations in the white house. Ivan's Childhood is a good film but no one decorates their Christmas tree that way if they're not internally recoiling at the horror of their own existence

Wow Trump redecorated the White House in red and black with golden full length banners with his coat of arms on them draping the hallways and displays of Greco-roman figures and weaponry everywhere? Wow sick af my dude! Whys everyone so mad? Looks cool!!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

KickerOfMice posted:

Eh, the WaPo article is only tangentially about Bannon. One of his henchmen is starting some kind of right-wing politician factory over in Italy.

lmao it's even less than that.

quote:

Can a place where monks once upheld vows of silence now produce the next generation of Matteo Salvinis and Viktor Orbans? Harnwell is still recruiting teachers. He hasn’t yet received accreditation. He has yet to test whether students will want to venture up into the Apennine Mountains for such an education.

But if all goes well, Harnwell said, a new generation of leaders will spend time here and then descend back down the mountainside road, returning to Rome, to other European capitals or to Washington, helping to ensure that Bannon’s version of a revolt might last for decades to come.

WELCOME TO MY RIGHT WING GLADIATOR ACADEMY we don't have students, teachers, or accreditationHEY WAPO WRITE AN ARTICLE ABOUT US

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

terrorist ambulance posted:

gently caress the people in this thread are goddamn dense. Yes it looks cool and and striking. It's basically expressionist.

Like I keep pointing out, it' literally how everything "this is fancy but not fancy fancy" decorates.

(more harrods)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yes let's argue that Melania shouldn't be thrown out of the White House for decorating it in garish department store poo poo

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Melania decorated for Christmas in 2019 and for some reason a bunch of broken twigs and branches point towards her dinner seat and the lighting makes it look like shes in a pool of light surrounded by darkness with knives coming out of it

why you libs mad? Looks festive and fun.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like I keep pointing out, it' literally how everything "this is fancy but not fancy fancy" decorates.

(more harrods)

Honestly don't see the similarity

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I remember early in the Trump presidency, like 75 years ago or so, some random art person went through Melania's Instagram and did a psychological breakdown based on what she posted. This person was some sort of art critic or aesthetics major or something relevant, and it was completely savage. It was well sourced and referenced, used relevant examples, and left the reader with the sense that Melania is a complete vacuum who only sees the world from the tops of towers or the windows of cabs.

I had no idea art based takedowns could be so brutal.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Sly allusions aside, the basic fact is the White House isn't a loving department store so why copy their style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I remember early in the Trump presidency, like 75 years ago or so, some random art person went through Melania's Instagram and did a psychological breakdown based on what she posted. This person was some sort of art critic or aesthetics major or something relevant, and it was completely savage. It was well sourced and referenced, used relevant examples, and left the reader with the sense that Melania is a complete vacuum who only sees the world from the tops of towers or the windows of cabs.

I had no idea art based takedowns could be so brutal.

I've never seen this and it sounds like it rules. Anyone have a link