Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
yo gip recommend me a good pc gaming talky headset thing

I'm undecided on wired vs wireless so leave that aside for now and like below $150, preferably like half that though.

edit: probably just going to get the Corsair Void dudes unless I'm talked out of it, I've been pretty happy with all of their other poo poo I have

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mods changed my name posted:

I'm undecided on wired vs wireless so leave that aside for now and like below $150, preferably like half that though.

edit: probably just going to get the Corsair Void dudes unless I'm talked out of it, I've been pretty happy with all of their other poo poo I have

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZtGFdurGmU

Really good music headphones that are cheap enough that they beat any gaming headset at that price.

The big advantage is the open back which makes it so your ears don't get hot, as well as the expanded soundstage, and good clarity due to being 150 ohm drivers.

Caveat they are open back so you aren't isolated from the outside world. You will need more volume to compensate for hearing poo poo around you. In a mostly quiet room you won't have any problems.

If you've not used Massdrop before, click this to get you and me 10 bucks for registration via the below link.

http://dro.ps/b/ftm6bO6HMeXO/l

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 19, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
those look nice and I appreciate your effort but I was hoping for something with a microphone for the videogaming and not music stuff

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

those look nice and I appreciate your effort but I was hoping for something with a microphone for the videogaming and not music stuff

Eh, I've got an external mic on my camera as a backup, and a modmic for the actual headphones. The 150 bucks makes it kinda hard to get good sound and not poo poo mic in the same package. "Gaming" headsets, especially below $150 are almost universally junk, but they're acceptable as long as you're only using them for gaming.

That said, Sennheiser does have a $120 dollar set in the https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset

Has the same drivers as their audiophile cans in a gaming headset frame with a mic. The headset frame is probably not as nice, but they're good drivers. Apparently the mic is actually good, which is surprising for a boom mic. Not blue yeti good, but not the nightmare trash I had on a set of Steelseries Siberia Elites (loving 300 dollar headphones with garbage as gently caress software, and a mic and right earcup that straight up broke inside of 6 months! Couldn't get them to replace it either because I was deployed, even though I went through the whole RMA process, I sent them the headset and then got absolutely nothing back, and they forgot I existed. Still hot about that.)

Looking at those Voids, I can't come up with anything that cheap lol, I went from shitass logitechs to legit audiophile headphones and a mic with nothing in between.

Gaming headsets are kind of a desert of chunky plastic garbage, tinny terrible cans, and or eyewateringly expensive headsets that are half as good as headphones half the price.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 19, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
yeah, I have no intention of doing anything but gaming occasionally. i don't have any other pc mics and I'm trying to reduce the amount of wires and poo poo so I think I'll just go with something cheap after all

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013
Lol you just got well actually’d when you asked for a gaming headset rec

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

This, comfortable with good sound.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/accessories/audio-and-communication/gold-wireless-headset/

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

HyperX Cloud Core Gaming Headset - Durable Aluminum Frame - 53MM Drivers - Detachable Microphone - Works with PC/PS4 & Xbox One, Nintendo Switch (KHX-HSCC-BK) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0153XL4V2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Q.KgCbTS65570

I can't recommend these more. Cheap (I scored them for $34 on BF) and the sound quality is incredibly good. The secret to these is that they're clones of another legendary audiophile headphone, Beyerdynamic DT770s if you're familiar.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I use this,
https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...keywords=rig800

Sounds and mic quality are top notch. Wireless too.

I bought these for my wife for Christmas, she loves them so far,
https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-KHX-HSCP-GM/dp/B00SAYCVTQ

They are also super comfy. I'll likely buy a pair if my current pair unexpected breaks or something.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
sweet, thanks dudes

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I used to use a Logitech g933, which was really good. Swapped that for an arctis steelseries 3 which I'm about to upgrade to 7.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I used to use a Logitech g933, which was really good. Swapped that for an arctis steelseries 3 which I'm about to upgrade to 7.

Arctis series is good. A little quiet though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm just using some old Sennheisers and a $10 lavalier mic from Amazon clipped to my keyboard wire. Works well enough and my rear end in a top hat cat can't chew through it with it tucked away. Already had to fix my headphone cable after he hosed that up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Arctis series is good. A little quiet though.

I've got the 5, like it lots.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I bought these for my wife for Christmas, she loves them so far,
https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-KHX-HSCP-GM/dp/B00SAYCVTQ

They are also super comfy. I'll likely buy a pair if my current pair unexpected breaks or something.

I'd look at the HyperX or Sennheiser products for headsets.

I personally go for standalone cans with the modmic and wiretie the cords together to reduce clutter as you'll generally get much better sound for the buck.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Modmic is awesome. Way better with my Sennhiser headphones than any headset combo I've tried.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So I guess this month with amazon prime I can gift my twitch freebies. You just need a Twitch ID to claim

Anyway, who wants:

- SNK Bundle Includes Pulstar, Metal Slug 2, Samurai Shodown II, Fatal Fury Special, Baseball Stars 2

- Hacknet: Complete Edition

- Poi

- Smoke & Sacrifice

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fallom posted:

Modmic is awesome. Way better with my Sennhiser headphones than any headset combo I've tried.

It's pricy but its better than any gamer set you're going to find, but when a modmic alone costs $60, you're not going to get that level of quality out of a 70 dollar headset.

I'd say a modmic is a good investment for someone who already has a set of good cans, but if you don't have a headset, that $120 Sennheiser kit is the same headset as the $140 Sennheiser GAME ONE, without the colored trim, and both have open backed earcups.

After listening to something with an open back headphone vs a closed back one, the difference is huge. Things sound more distinct and you can actually discern position via audio because the sound isn't echoing off of a solid back on earcup (not even getting into subjective bullshit like warmness of sound, you can actually hear an echo in a closed headset vs open back ones).

It's like the audio difference between a spinny hard drive and an SSD in my opinion, with the same caveats. You will notice a huge difference between closed back and open back headphones, and the difference is not nearly as big between a $150 headphone with open backs and a $500 headphone with open backs as there is between the $50 gaming headset and the open backed headphone.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
If anyone else is late to the game like I am, the XCOM 2 Collection is on sale.
$35 for the game, expansion and 4 DLC packs on Steam.

Been a while since I played the first one and everyone talking it up in this thread and else where has me pretty excited to finally play it.

e: holy gently caress. 65gigs lol

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

NJersey posted:

e: holy gently caress. 65gigs lol

lol you're cute. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War is 100+ gigs

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Worth every megabyte when you start downloading custom voice packs and you have Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tommy Wisseau and Max Payne trading one liners as they’re shooting aliens in the face.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

lol you're cute. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War is 100+ gigs

hahaha, I must have forgot that. Still have it installed.

Hell yea I'll be getting those voice packs, anything else I should know before starting? Will probably play tomorrow night. Too busy exploring the black in Elite tonight.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
XCOM 2 is badly optimized, but also a very large game with a ton of high quality assets.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought all these new games in the Steam sale but I can't stop playing Everspace

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You can get your buggy Russian sperg on with 7.62 High Calibre for $1, because apparently it's on Steam now! It looks like it also comes with the Blue Sun Mod available as one of the "beta" options, which is pretty much a necessity for bugfixes and poo poo.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Late, but holy poo poo

Also, my 2019 gaming goal is to get through my backlog and buy myself a Switch as a graduation/licensure gift next Christmas so I can play Mario and Zelda (and also Red Dead 2). I don't know how deep my backlog is, but its easily 25-30 games from around Sim City/Arkham Asylum and includes the Skyrim re-release. Gonna be a long year.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 23, 2018

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/PjjfkPC.gifv

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Animal cruelty

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

loving Everspace. It put a jump suppressor on a corvette and when I was just about to destroy it the thing jumped 15km away and I got auto-killed chasing it because I was "outside a safe orbit."

Wouldn't sting so much if it didn't take a goddamn hour to get to that point in the run.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MarinoV1/status/1077271235485147136

Looking forward to quality content over the holidays

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok, double gently caress Everspace. Ending with "ok now go through the game literally 8 more times doing the same stuff" is some Ghouls & Ghosts poo poo.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/MarinoV1/status/1077271235485147136

Looking forward to quality content over the holidays

Almost done with Day 1 and it seems like it's just a live pitch session for the categories. It's an interesting way to go about it.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Nag_FR/status/1076512103815614464

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:pusheen:

Got my dad red dead 2, he’s excited about it :3:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

ahahahahahahahaha god drat that's brutal

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

For actual content, read this thread

https://twitter.com/BlesstheInfoSec/status/1077486689474367488

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 27, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Dad joke of the year

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

legit would have wanted a switch like that for quake lan parties

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
setting every single port manually with cisco cli

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

legit would have wanted a switch like that for quake lan parties
This would have been so much better than having to finagle three different routers together.