Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I've never met someone with a given nerd-spawned name who didn't have a look of resigned shame when someone called them on it. Like not even in a mocking way, a teacher in college going "Oh, Galadriel, that's from Lord of the Rings?" got a "yeah, that's it" and that forlorn downward glance of wishing they could shrink into the hollow embarrassment dimension forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Arwen IS a real name. It's Welsh and means "fair maiden."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bogus Adventure posted:

No lie, there was a girl who I went to preschool with whose name was Arwen. This was back in the '80s, so at least it wasn't done out of a massive pop culture trend.

Lord of the Rings basically was a huge pop culture trend way back in the day. IIRC Tolkein was a bit pertubed by all the hippies who were into it.

I'd get worried if you see a boy named Celebrimbor.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lord of the Rings basically was a huge pop culture trend way back in the day. IIRC Tolkein was a bit pertubed by all the hippies who were into it.

FRODO LIVES was a thing way before Jackson's movies.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mycomancy posted:

Arwen IS a real name. It's Welsh and means "fair maiden."

pfffft, yeah, "welsh", that's real

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
now, Martok, there's a real name

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Jose Oquendo posted:

FRODO LIVES was a thing way before Jackson's movies.

It was, but I don't know if Tolkeinmania was as rampant back then as it is now.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

brb changing my name to Martok

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lord of the Rings basically was a huge pop culture trend way back in the day.

Obligatory video clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_gobvGdiF0

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I am Worf, son of James.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Gonna name my baby girl Grilka, that's a warrior's name

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Actually I now feel like the world could use more people named after prominent honorable Klingons instead of pointy-eared wish-fulfillment fairy waifus, lol

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

barbecue at the folks posted:

Actually I now feel like the world could use more people named after prominent honorable Klingons instead of pointy-eared wish-fulfillment fairy waifus, lol

I'd like you all to meet my newborn daughter, Klach D'kel Brakt

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

I'd like you all to meet my newborn daughter, Klach D'kel Brakt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otpRev47yOY

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I'd like you all to meet my newborn daughter, *coughs and gags for 2 minutes*

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

*first day of school*
Me: Hi, this is my daughter, Jaz

Teacher: That's a nice name, what's it short for, Jasveer?

Me: Nope, just Jaz. Jaz Daxia.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

pfffft, yeah, "welsh", that's real

Our most famous Prince in Wales was called Llewellyn and the girl I had a crush on when I was in primary school was called Ffion, and the Welsh spell "David" as "Dafydd" so next to those an Arwen isn't actually that weird.

Though having Garak Smith in your class would sadly still be weird and Michael Burnham (female) would definetly be out.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 27, 2018

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

my children are going to be named first, second, third in the jem'hadar tradition

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Vulcan in the streets, Bajoran in the sheets

Wait

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bajorans do gently caress.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I used to listen to The Greatest Generation religiously, as before July I had a 45-60 minute one-way work commute. I tried to listen to an episode after about 10 weeks straight of not listening, and I just can't continue. It really feels like they're phoning it in, and the humor seems really forced and unnatural. Shame.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

my children are going to be named first, second, third in the jem'hadar tradition

Jem'Hadar had actual names, First, Second, Third, etc were just their squad rank. When the Fourth dies, the Fifth is promoted to Fourth, and so on.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Uncle Enzo posted:

Wait

Depends, is it that Vulcans only gently caress once every 9 years or whatever, or is it they MUST gently caress once every 9 years? I always assumed loving a vukcan when they are sex crazy would be awesome

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Uncle Enzo posted:

Wait

So, you're into being dominated?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When the Fourth dies, the Fifth is promoted to Fourth, and so on.
right, so same as my kids

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitchner posted:

Depends, is it that Vulcans only gently caress once every 9 years or whatever, or is it they MUST gently caress once every 9 years? I always assumed loving a vukcan when they are sex crazy would be awesome

Every seven years they go into Pon'Far, and basically go into heat. Also if they don't gently caress, they die.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Every seven years they go into Pon'Far, and basically go into heat. Also if they don't gently caress, they die.*

*unless they don't because it's mildly inconvenient and the writers decided to do a Ponn Farr rpisode without knowing how to end it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
if they dont gently caress they have to at LEAST fall in love with james t kirk

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Two of my old roommates (who married each other) named their daughter Ezri.

I mean, my mom's name is Jadzia, but that's an actual Polish name. :poland:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mojo1701a posted:

Two of my old roommates (who married each other) named their daughter Ezri.

Geeky, but I could buy it as a feminized form of Ezra, which is a real name from the Bible.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Kitchner posted:

Cold unfeeling logic in the streets, antiquated and stubborn religious hangups in the sheets

Also known as the "Mormon Man" combo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kitchner posted:

As someone else pointed out, it's seven years when they MUST gently caress (or go through a similarly cathartic experience, like brutally killing your friend who just wanted to be a part of your life and learn more about your culture). As for 'only', probably not. Dorothy Fontana apparently found it absurdly reductive, and figured that they do gently caress in between pon'farr cycles.

In the novelization for The Motion Picture, Gene Roddenberry has Kirk dismissing the notion that he and Spock could have been lovers by saying "yeah um I'm not gonna select a partner who only goes into heat once every seven years," so you could read that as Roddenberry saying "uh well actually Vulcans do only gently caress once per seven years," however, just because Kirk says it doesn't make it true:

- considering no non-Vulcans even knew pon'farr was a thing until Spock told Kirk and McCoy, it's entirely plausible that there are still aspects about Vulcan sexuality to which Kirk is ignorant.

- Kirk would absolutely be the kind of guy to honor his partner's wishes for confidentiality, so if they were lovers, it's entirely plausible Kirk would deliberately mislead people about Vulcan sexuality in order to protect Spock's privacy

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yo man T’pol was jonesing for the D long before spock and kirk ever showed up.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bajorans do gently caress.

...up everything they touch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Jadzia isn’t a bad name. Maybe I’m just used to it?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a pretty name

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why did we never see a mirror universe that made US look like the stupid moron BDSM planet

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like it's even brighter and cleaner and the Klingons are all decoupage artists or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PenisMonkey posted:

Yo man T’pol was jonesing for the D long before spock and kirk ever showed up.

i don't care