Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Krispy Wafer posted:

Mama June from Honey Boo Boo would have been a better President. She's already a better parent, and she let her daughter's molester move back in the house.

The bar to being better than Trump is more like a speed bump.

I thought it was more like that trench on either side of a rail on a railroad crossing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Groovelord Neato posted:

“I don’t want to have cameras all over my office, dealing with contractors, politicians, mobsters, and everyone else I have to deal with in my business. You know, mobsters don’t like, as they’re talking to me, having cameras all over the room. It would play well on television, but it doesn’t play well with them.”

:ughh:

not a cult posted:

Almost all of these (some very old) are base 10?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numeral_systems

Crickets.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hey hey hey.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1078275577151438850

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Piss tape is real

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1078319618207436806

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

rebrand him as what? Him being personally nice has always been his deal. That doesn't mean he's good.

A) 'being nice' means nothing when he's a warmongering, bigoted, fascist.

B) people absolutely use him, his dookie blooded dad, McCain, and basically any right wing demon who says 'mmm yes trump was perhaps rude when he said that the immigrant death camps are cool, he should have just quietly refused to acknowledge them like normal' as some kind of 'good republican'.

Remember when Colbert had a lil mini breakdown because he got angry people called trump a symptom not a disease, so he had a little rant about how no he IS the disease? These people genuinely don't care about any of these issues, they think Trump is some unique evil because he's the most vulgar not because he's actually evil.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Piss tape is real
https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/investigations/article219016820.html

Edit: lol beaten, great minds think alike

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Radish posted:

"Being nice" is dumb bullshit when he's responsible for numerous horrors. Letting politicians get away with separating their personal lives and their professional actions is why they continue to do bad things with no social repercussions.

Sorry life isn't a disney cartoon where everyone bad is mean and everyone nice is good I guess? Someone can be nice and bad or good and mean, bush is nice and also bad. Trump is mean and bad. Saying bush is nice doesn't mean he's good. He seems quite nice.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tibalt posted:

I am fairly confident that this is going to be the longest government shutdown of all time. I am pro-functioning institutions and take no pleasure in reporting this.
The longest shutdown was 21 days, btw. The government will have been shutdown for 13 days by the time the new Congress is seated, which is basically when negotiations will start.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lol remember when the big 'so there' from Trump's side was 'Cohen says he wasn't even IN the area so he obviously wasn't, checkmate libs pisstape is fake'? Shocked to find he just straight lied!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sorry life isn't a disney cartoon where everyone bad is mean and everyone nice is good I guess? Someone can be nice and bad or good and mean, bush is nice and also bad. Trump is mean and bad. Saying bush is nice doesn't mean he's good. He seems quite nice.

he wasn't nice you dingus he was a cruel, petty, little man.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Iraqi lawmakers demand US withdrawal after Trump visit

quote:

BAGHDAD (AP) — Iraqi lawmakers Thursday demanded U.S. forces leave the country in the wake of a surprise visit by President Donald Trump that politicians denounced as arrogant and a violation of Iraqi sovereignty.

Politicians from both blocs of Iraq's divided Parliament called for a vote to expel U.S. troops and promised to schedule an extraordinary session to debate the matter.

"Parliament must clearly and urgently express its view about the ongoing American violations of Iraqi sovereignty," said Salam al-Shimiri, a lawmaker loyal to the populist cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.

Trump spent three hours at a U.S. air base meeting with American troops during his visit. The president defended his decision to withdraw 2,000 U.S. forces from neighboring Syria, saying the U.S. military had all but eliminated IS-controlled territory there.

He left without meeting any Iraqi officials, though he spoke to Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi by phone.

The prime minister's office said in a statement after Trump's visit that "differences in points of view" over arrangements led to a face-to-face meeting between the two leaders to be scrapped.

Al-Shimiri said Trump's visit "violated several diplomatic norms."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iraqi-lawmakers-demand-us-withdrawal-trump-visit-110913636.html

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
W famously loved to make fun of people like a cartoon frat boy as a grown rear end man and he literally won his primary by going balls deep in calling McCain's adopted African daughter a 'secret love child'. He wasn't nice just because he made a couple lovely jokes in a few speeches he was a wretched person.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Being nice is 100 percent irrelevant if you're responsible for atrocities. Splitting hairs about it is the same thing as unironically saying "Well at least he makes the trains run on time!"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Probably because everyone is getting tired of the same old bullshit. Issue happens involving trump MSNBC says "Let's discuss this issue that happened and everyone cares about" while Fox says "Man Dems are bad *dredge up random stories from bumbfuck nowhere* Look how happy this boy is with his new puppy"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lycus posted:

Will someone ask him how the steel slats stop drugs when you can just hand them through?

We're going to build mini-Walls between the slats.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Someone actually claiming "GWB was a nice guy" is pretty much the exact thing I'm complaining about when I'm saying they are helping rebrand him when we all knew in 2008 he was a shitheap.

Also the idea that "look this guy can be nice while also pushing torture and fabricating evidence to get us into a war where hundreds of thousands have died" is the Adult Position is absurd.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

W famously loved to make fun of people like a cartoon frat boy as a grown rear end man and he literally won his primary by going balls deep in calling McCain's adopted African daughter a 'secret love child'. He wasn't nice just because he made a couple lovely jokes in a few speeches he was a wretched person.

That's not a nice thing to say about Michelle Obama's bff.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sexpig by night posted:

he wasn't nice you dingus he was a cruel, petty, little man.

Seemed pretty nice. Except that thing where people confuse interpersonal niceness with a bunch of other things. If trump met a mexican woman he's yell at her and call her slurs, if bush did he knows some spanish and will say some friendly things, the fact both would then go then pass legislation that hurt the woman is a different topic than if he's "nice".

It's like how not all racists yell at black people and a bunch of them have black friends. Interpersonal niceness isn't a signifier of all things.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lol, good job president smooth brain. Which ally will you alienate next?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Krispy Wafer posted:

Celebrity chef restaurants are having a hard time now. A lot of Food Network stars are having to scale back operations. Apparently Millennials don't care what famous person owns a restaurant.

Or more likely millennials just don't have enough money to justify the cost premium that celebrity chef restaurants come with.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Being nice is 100 percent irrelevant if you're responsible for atrocities. Splitting hairs about it is the same thing as unironically saying "Well at least he makes the trains run on time!"

The most polite and genuinely nice man could still punch a baby in the face, if they thought they could get away with it. Apples and oranges. Those are two wholly different measures of a person. (also, that baby was an rear end in a top hat.)

E- Judge a person by their actions, not their demeanor.

EE- Which very weirdly loops us back around to Guy Fieri :psyduck:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 27, 2018

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I had to try very hard not to roll my eyes when my old Democratic parents were cheering about getting Michelle's new book for Christmas.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SocketWrench posted:

This is an issue the Iraqis had in the first Gulf War. Their army was trained through the old Soviet style which was rigid authority, follow orders, and everyone answered to the highest ranking officer. The US was trained to be flexible and adjust while letting junior officers make decisions on their own since they would actually be in the fight rather than hearing about it some 30 miles away. This is part of why the US beat the Iraqi army so bad, they could change and adapt per situation rather than take orders and follow them rigidly no matter the situation. Once communication was cut with their leaders, Iraqi soldiers mostly surrendered because they had no one to tell them what to do or where to go

This needs context and a large pinch of salt. The Iraqi's never adopted the Soviet system even if it did acquire Soviet arms; the Iraqi's were trained via primarily British Doctrines; Soviet Doctrine would have called for a preemptive strike at the assembling US and Coalition forces, a strong defence is a good offence as they say. So if the Iraqi's did adopt Soviet doctrine then they did it badly. The Egyptians and Jordanians adopted what parts they felt worked well for them and discarded what didn't and only the Syrian copied everything down to the OOB; there's a paper available behind a paywall somewhere "Armies of Sand and Snow" that goes into details explaining the Arab failure to use Soviet doctrines and weapons with effectiveness vs Israel and basically in a nutshell Arab military performance has basically no bearing on examining Soviet performance or doctrine.

The rigidity of Soviet Command has a doctrinal purpose that would've been scarily effective in Germany in the 1980's; primarily the ability for regiments to be largely plug and play and interchangeable across the OOB, and thus easily adapted to performing their mission even in a different army or command area; and most importantly gave them an extremely effective means of maneuvering large mechanized field armies proverbially on a dime. A Soviet army would've been expected to reorient itself and begin advancing on an entirely new axis of advance in a record amount of time to exploit successes to a degree thought impossible for a Western army.

Also, actual Soviet military handbooks do stress the need for initiative and creative thinking; so it isn't as though it doesn't exist in the Soviet model at all, it's there but has to be balanced with the doctrine the Soviet Army developed to fight wars with, a doctrine borne out of winning the war vs Germany in WWII and very effectively by the end, as seen in their performance vs the Japanese in 1945 or Operation Bagration in 1944.

Also, the Iraqi's in 1991 kept a *substantial* force in reserve facing Iran or otherwise deployed near major population centers; Saddam's priorities were not specifically the United States, but in the fear of uprisings, a military coup, and Iran. There are many reasons, tactical and strategic Desert Storm went as well as did for the Coalition and basically none of them are because of Soviet training and doctrine.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

He never didn't seem nice though, it's not rebranding, he was always nice. Being nice or not nice is another axis from having good policy. Lots of bad people are perfectly "nice".

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

sexpig by night posted:

lol remember when the big 'so there' from Trump's side was 'Cohen says he wasn't even IN the area so he obviously wasn't, checkmate libs pisstape is fake'? Shocked to find he just straight lied!

His evidence was the cover of his passport.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SocketWrench posted:

Lol, good job president smooth brain. Which ally will you alienate next?

Best part is he is probably gonna demand that the current government all be killed and replaced with Erik price.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Seemed pretty nice. Except that thing where people confuse interpersonal niceness with a bunch of other things. If trump met a mexican woman he's yell at her and call her slurs, if bush did he knows some spanish and will say some friendly things, the fact both would then go then pass legislation that hurt the woman is a different topic than if he's "nice".

It's like how not all racists yell at black people and a bunch of them have black friends. Interpersonal niceness isn't a signifier of all things.

I like that you, in your attempt to talk about how Bush 'seemed' nice, are painting this weird cartoon Trump where I guess he has to have meetings in special rooms where he can't see Ben Carson or he'll just start screaming the n-word at him. Like, you've created a world where the real Trump is actually 'nicer' than this insane parody Trump you've created because of course that smoothbrained dipshit knows you can't just scream slurs at people you pass on the street.

You get this is step 1 in the rehab process for guys like them right?

"Yea ok so Bush ran a 2000 campaign based on hate and bigotry but ya know (insert current WORST CONSERVATIVE EVER) would probably just straight up participate in a lynching, so he's a better option."

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

How the gently caress does he do this every time?!

Let me guess: he never bothered approving the visit with the officials who loving run the country?

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

The only clue that this guy isn't a Trump supporter is the fact that he crossed out his name

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Roblo posted:

I hadn't realised seal team number 6 was any more special than seal team numbers 1-5. Huh.

I first heard about SEAL Team 6 when they killed bin Laden and for several months I thought they were called that because it was an elite special forces group made up of literally six people, like the Fantastic Four or something because I have the brain of a dumb baby.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sexpig by night posted:

I like that you, in your attempt to talk about how Bush 'seemed' nice, are painting this weird cartoon Trump where I guess he has to have meetings in special rooms where he can't see Ben Carson or he'll just start screaming the n-word at him.

wait, you don't think trump calls ben carson the n-word? He absolutely definitely does that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

1glitch0 posted:

I first heard about SEAL Team 6 when they killed bin Laden and for several months I thought they were called that because it was an elite special forces group made up of literally six people, like the Fantastic Four or something because I have the brain of a dumb baby.

I also had this dumb baby thought so you're not alone. When I heard like five of them died in poo poo like crashes I was all 'so there's just one dude left?'

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

How the gently caress does he do this every time?!

Let me guess: he never bothered approving the visit with the officials who loving run the country?

Long, arduous hours of practice.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
https://twitter.com/HollyKinnamon/status/1078316678033928192

LOL it's ok guys just do some carpentry or w/e, I'm sure your landlord would be fine with that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

wait, you don't think trump calls ben carson the n-word? He absolutely definitely does that.

I think he does it just like I think Bush called Condi the n-word and/or the c-word, behind their back like most bigots.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've always been told that the US Military is specifically made to avoid rigid authority chains. Like if your commanding officer dies the whole thing restructures around the next in line as opposed to the stereotypical 'shoot the leader and they'll all give up'. I think someone posted about that in the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread about zombie movies where separated and isolated army squads turn to anarchy. It doesn't mean that wouldn't happen, but the training is meant to specifically avoid that.

This is accurate. The structure is designed to be fluid to avoid having to follow unlawful orders, something we had to learn the hard way.

The closest thing we have to anarchy is something we call "shamming", which is just creative work avoidance.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

RuanGacho posted:

I had to try very hard not to roll my eyes when my old Democratic parents were cheering about getting Michelle's new book for Christmas.

Want to trade for my parents? My Dad was complaining about disability paying him too much money.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He never didn't seem nice though, it's not rebranding, he was always nice. Being nice or not nice is another axis from having good policy. Lots of bad people are perfectly "nice".

okay but who cares, he's a war criminal

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I mean, Guy Fieri's restaurant certainly wasn't good, but I certainly wouldn't go so far as to call it an "atrocity."

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

I think people mix up "nice" and "charming." There are things even Trump does that I find oddly charming. That is not the same as him being nice, good, or even acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ewiley posted:

https://twitter.com/HollyKinnamon/status/1078316678033928192

LOL it's ok guys just do some carpentry or w/e, I'm sure your landlord would be fine with that.

Why isn't it a law to make it illegal to evict (or cut off utilities) a federal employee or contractor for lack of rent during a shutdown? That feels like a stopgap solution.