Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
mattis suffers from the same thing biden suffers from: people confusing the meme version with the actual version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I feel that Mattis could be a good VP choice in that VP is an utterly worthless position so his actual influence within the administration would be limited, but it could get certain ~resist~ types and 'moderate' Democrats fired up regardless of how left the top of the ticket is.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mullen wouldn't be a bad choice. He's been on a few boards since retiring but nothing too sketchy looking.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Internet's out for CenturyLink, I guess.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I feel that Mattis could be a good VP choice in that VP is an utterly worthless position so his actual influence within the administration would be limited, but it could get certain ~resist~ types and 'moderate' Democrats fired up regardless of how left the top of the ticket is.

I only have a cursory understanding of how this works in the US, but in the UK people who’ve served for a long time, as opposed to being drafted / being in then out in their 20s tend to make seriously poor politicians through our history. Totally different skill set required. I don’t think Mattis would be a good VP for you, couldn’t see him enjoying that job either.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Yeah, some of the guys here at work are having to deal with that... Current money is on either a multi site/datacenter fire or someone is totally getting fired (or did and threw a kill switch).

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's a bad fit for Mattis because it goes against pretty much his entire philosophy. The only reason why he left the private sector grift he was running is because all of the other picks for SECDEF would have been absolutely horrible. The dude doesn't want to run the country.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Our long distance service was down for the mor img until our provider changed trunks. It was because if the century link outage

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...

ASAPI posted:

Yeah, some of the guys here at work are having to deal with that... Current money is on either a multi site/datacenter fire or someone is totally getting fired (or did and threw a kill switch).

Update:
On December 27, 2018 at 02:40 GMT, CenturyLink identified a service impact in New Orleans, LA. The NOC is engaged and investigating in order to isolate the cause. Field Operations were engaged and dispatched for additional investigations. Tier IV Equipment Vendor Support was later engaged. During cooperative troubleshooting a device in San Antonio, TX was isolated from the network as it was seeming to broadcast traffic consuming capacity, which seemed to alleviate some impact. Investigations remained ongoing. Following the isolation of the San Antonio, TX device troubleshooting efforts focused on additional sites that teams were remotely unable to troubleshoot. Field Operations were dispatched to sites in Kansas City, MO, Atlanta, GA, New Orleans, LA and Chicago, IL. Tier IV Equipment Vendor Support continued to investigate the equipment logs to further assist with isolation. Once visibility was restored to the site in Kansas City, MO a filter was applied to the equipment to further alleviate the impact observed. All of the necessary troubleshooting teams in cooperation with Tier IV Equipment Vendor Support are working to restore remote visibility to the remaining sites at this time. We understand how important these services are to our clients and the issue has been escalated to the highest levels within CenturyLink Service Assurance Leadership.

edit: current talk is a broadcast storm on the network is really loving poo poo up

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Jesus. A guy cheerfully tweeting about how he got horribly tortured is a bit too real for me rn

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

nullandvoid posted:

Update:
On December 27, 2018 at 02:40 GMT, CenturyLink identified a service impact in New Orleans, LA. The NOC is engaged and investigating in order to isolate the cause. Field Operations were engaged and dispatched for additional investigations. Tier IV Equipment Vendor Support was later engaged. During cooperative troubleshooting a device in San Antonio, TX was isolated from the network as it was seeming to broadcast traffic consuming capacity, which seemed to alleviate some impact. Investigations remained ongoing. Following the isolation of the San Antonio, TX device troubleshooting efforts focused on additional sites that teams were remotely unable to troubleshoot. Field Operations were dispatched to sites in Kansas City, MO, Atlanta, GA, New Orleans, LA and Chicago, IL. Tier IV Equipment Vendor Support continued to investigate the equipment logs to further assist with isolation. Once visibility was restored to the site in Kansas City, MO a filter was applied to the equipment to further alleviate the impact observed. All of the necessary troubleshooting teams in cooperation with Tier IV Equipment Vendor Support are working to restore remote visibility to the remaining sites at this time. We understand how important these services are to our clients and the issue has been escalated to the highest levels within CenturyLink Service Assurance Leadership.

edit: current talk is a broadcast storm on the network is really loving poo poo up

drat, that is one hell of a broadcast storm...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hoo boy glad im not working today

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Apparently the new hypersonic nuclear cruise missiles cannot be detected by current launch monitoring systems because they do not create a large launch plume, merely one about the size of a VLS tube. So, Russia now has an essentially non-detectable nuclear cruise missile with a 3700 mile range, that can be launched at the drop of a hat with no advance warning.

Can't reach the US obviously, but I would not want to be anyone in Europe right now, because these will surely be deployed close to the border to maximize their reach into Europe.

E: Apparently Avangard can be retrofitted to existing Russian warheads and ICBMs, and are basically able to make them untargetable by existing ABM systems due to being able to execute rapid, erratic flight path changes. Yay MAD!

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 27, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

So yup. Man is obvious.

would you say man's not hot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

Apparently the new hypersonic nuclear cruise missiles cannot be detected by current launch monitoring systems because they do not create a large launch plume, merely one about the size of a VLS tube. So, Russia now has an essentially non-detectable nuclear cruise missile with a 3700 mile range, that can be launched at the drop of a hat with no advance warning.

Can't reach the US obviously, but I would not want to be anyone in Europe right now, because these will surely be deployed close to the border to maximize their reach into Europe.

How is this meaningfully different from a kh-55? If one of those bears that you intercept all the time started firing stuff you'd have even less time to respond.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

How is this meaningfully different from a kh-55? If one of those bears that you intercept all the time started firing stuff you'd have even less time to respond.

You can see the Bear bomber, you can't see these, hell you wouldn't even know they launched. You would know when the 1MT warhead went off though!

In the hypersonic cruise missile configuration, they are a surprise attack/first strike weapon, due to not being able to be detected on launch.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

orange juche posted:

You can see the Bear bomber, you can't see these, hell you wouldn't even know they launched. You would know when the 1MT warhead went off though!

In the hypersonic cruise missile configuration, they are a surprise attack/first strike weapon, due to not being able to be detected on launch.

From the very little I've heard in the public domain about the airforce SBIRS satellites and their coverage, I think it's less likely you can't see the thing, you probably can - it's that one of those things launching looks like any small missile / aircraft launching in infra red, so gleaning any data about whether some source the system sees is something truly nasty is impossible.

Until you see it streaking over Germany at 5000mph. Can't think how you'd get around that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wouldn't revealing that you have a nuclear cruise missile really put every one on edge that any given launch would contain a nuke? Seems pretty dumb.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

OK so you get first strike.

Now MAD.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

Wouldn't revealing that you have a nuclear cruise missile really put every one on edge that any given launch would contain a nuke? Seems pretty dumb.

You'd think invading Ukraine would do the same but here we are.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Defenestrategy posted:

You'd have to be crazy to do this kind of stuff. Mad you might say.

...I'll see myself out.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My centurylink dsl was up this morning before work (7:30am Mountain) so my connection is probably fine.

Vasudus posted:

Mattis belonged exactly where he was. Now he'll probably fall back on the same grift that every retired flag officer in history does.

Get your iraqi dinar before they revalue the currency!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Once that hypersonic vehicle gets moving it's going to be putting out a ton of energy from atmospheric heating. I wouldn't worry as much about detecting it, the bad bit is the fact that the maneuverability may allow it to come in from unexpected angles where you don't have radars set up for interception.

This also ignores the fact that if Russia wants to go nuclear they have plenty of traditional ICBMS and SLBMs to guarantee they get through whatever defenses the West throws up.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1078395493032644608

:barf:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

they didn't want to write "dick pic"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Can we at least get a confirmation on its shape?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LingcodKilla posted:

Can we at least get a confirmation on its shape?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh dear lord

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I mean it’s embarrassing but it’s personal in nature.

So I absolutely want it released to hurt his pride as much as possible. It’s the only thing he cares about.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wait whose selfie

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Certainly not Melinas. We’ve already seen her butthole and cooter.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Good thing she didn't do something unforgivable like wearing shorts like that harlot Michelle.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Don't courts uphold the ol' "sources and methods" secrecy pretty reliably?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12183146

Lmao

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jeez what did he think would happen?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what an idiot you pay someone else to do that

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

orange juche posted:

Jeez what did he think would happen?

https://youtu.be/wwrSNMddm1w

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Defenestrategy posted:

Maybe they're going for an "oopsy, the warheads look so similar! it was a total accident! You can't blame us for an accident" when one goes off in Ukraine.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Maybe they're going for an "oopsy, the warheads look so similar! it was a total accident! You can't blame us for an accident" when one goes off in Ukraine.
Seems legit
-DJT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LingcodKilla posted:

Wait really?