Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leal posted:

White clothes, like white people, are boring. And the only people who like such things are themselves boring white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ArtIsResistance posted:

The weird thing about this post is that there's like a 95% chance a white person wrote it

95% chance that person is a scholar and is extremely handsome on top of being well endowed.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lady Mayonnaise of the Opera.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I haven't played in nearly five years. I think the last things I remember banging my head against were Good King Moggle Mog and Garuda? Titan? I don't remember in what order they were released.

If I came back now, would I be coming back to basically an entirely different game? Or could I feasibly stumble my way back through pretty easily? I was originally on Excalibur with a Legacy account--would I still be on Excal? I've been feelin' nostalgic for my brick-red-skinned, balding, star-spangled-subligar-wearing roegadyn.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I haven't played in nearly five years. I think the last things I remember banging my head against were Good King Moggle Mog and Garuda? Titan? I don't remember in what order they were released.

If I came back now, would I be coming back to basically an entirely different game? Or could I feasibly stumble my way back through pretty easily? I was originally on Excalibur with a Legacy account--would I still be on Excal? I've been feelin' nostalgic for my brick-red-skinned, balding, star-spangled-subligar-wearing roegadyn.

It's going to largely be the same.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Come join us, we're talking poo poo about Alphinaud's weird steampunk Hatsune Miku fetish outfit

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Can I, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, get a pair of boots that don't go up to my crotch?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Scion Liberator’s Legguards/Hoplite Sabatons/Eikon Legguards of Striking

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

High House Halfboots

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I finally did it, I levelled all my Gatherers to 50. The beginner pain is over, now onto finding a good gear to tide me over.

Also managed to get Archer 30 and unlock Bard, which means my 16 Rogue is the very last combat class I ever have to deal with sub-Job combat levels ever again! :toot:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Captain Cappy posted:

Can I, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, get a pair of boots that don't go up to my crotch?

Expeditioner's Moccasins and Makai Manhandler Longboots

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Leal posted:

95% chance that person is a scholar and is extremely handsome on top of being well endowed.

he who must state their big dick energy has none at all

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Rastan Beeza posted:

I finally did it, I levelled all my Gatherers to 50. The beginner pain is over, now onto finding a good gear to tide me over.

Also managed to get Archer 30 and unlock Bard, which means my 16 Rogue is the very last combat class I ever have to deal with sub-Job combat levels ever again! :toot:

Until you do a roulette and get level sync'd into the 1000 maws of pain

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just got my Omega clear, like eight weeks late

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Leal posted:

White clothes, like white people, are boring. And the only people who like such things are themselves boring white people.

White clothes and white people both own bones actually

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

In my brief time back I have had nothing but fun and nice experiences. Goons and random players have been super patient and friendly and helpful and it still occasionally weirds me out after having played WoW for so loving long and expecting everyone to be a toxic rear end in a top hat.

I think I might stick around for a bit. :unsmith:

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Verranicus posted:

nice rap sheet

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Verranicus posted:

I maintain my claim that 60 WHM Shire gear is still one of the classiest healing outfits in the game, minus the hat.

Super slick outfit, was worth boosting for to see that nice appearence.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I think my blm looks great in white :colbert:

I just wish I knew how to take more high quality screenshots

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Just finished the HW story through the final boss at the Reactor, and I feel like it was probably the best MMO story I've ever played.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Leal posted:

:xcom:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

:vince:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

:drat:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

been leveling RDM

RDM good

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is anyone playing on Cactuar? My girlfriend's sister and her friends are playing there so I rolled a dude there instead of Excalibur. In game is Kiyro Eastknight if anyone wants to add me.

e: Does queuing as all languages still gently caress with queue times? I'm stuck as DPS until level 30 and they throw several dungeons at you at low levels

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 28, 2018

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

cheetah7071 posted:

Just got my Omega clear, like eight weeks late

Later than you friend, we're still on panto 2 prog after 2 months :sigh:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I did the thing!

Not the resizing thing. Just accept my massive gif.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 28, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SonicRulez posted:

I did the thing!
Doesn't look like you did the thing at all! Fix yo poo poo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

D-drat

Hey ArtIsResistance, why can't you be witty like this. Does it have something to do with being white and boring?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Xalidur posted:

Just finished the HW story through the final boss at the Reactor, and I feel like it was probably the best MMO story I've ever played.

That's a very normal reaction to the finale of Heavensward. Because you're right.

Believe it or not, the post release patch storyline for Heavensward maintains that level of quality.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jesus christ

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

:discourse:

And yes, as somebody who has spent way too much of their life playing MMOs, Heavensward is definitely top tier for story quality in the genre.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

That's a very normal reaction to the finale of Heavensward. Because you're right.

Believe it or not, the post release patch storyline for Heavensward maintains that level of quality.

Much excitement. It's going to be a pretty tough act for Stormblood to follow, though, because I really like snow areas, Elves, Dragons, and sadness.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Stormblood isn't remotely close in quality. Though it's getting there in the recent patch and what looks to be in the next patch.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 28, 2018

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Failboattootoot posted:

Stormblood isn't remotely close in quality. Though it's getting close in the recent patch and what looks to be in the next patch.

I find this extremely funny because the story is basically just picking up directly after where Heavensward was pushed aside for Stormblood's stuff. There is a straight line from 3.4 to 4.4 and everything in-between is effectively sidestepped :v:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The Shame Boy posted:

Later than you friend, we're still on panto 2 prog after 2 months :sigh:

we finally managed to survive panto 2 and stumble into the enrage before taking a holiday break and frankly it’s embarrassing how much I want to go back nownownow

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Failboattootoot posted:

Stormblood isn't remotely close in quality. Though it's getting there in the recent patch and what looks to be in the next patch.

Dungeons are better, though. At least the 4.0 dungeons, I haven't done the others. But yeah, the original story wasn't strong.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

As has been said a lot already, Stormblood suffers a lot from trying to tell two different stories in a single expansion cycle. Heavensward's near-singular focus on Ishgard allowed the writers to develop interesting characters and chart their courses as they saw Ishgard through changing times. There was also a strong deuteragonist in the form of Alphinaud that gave the story a through line and helped to reinforce its central themes. Stormblood both lacks a strong deuteragonist and lacks interesting/contrasting characterization to drive the story forwards. Doma - which largely takes up 3 out of the 4 patches thus released - is a bit of a wasteland: Hien is a perfect ruler with no obvious character flaws, Yugiri drops out of the story like a stone, Gosetsu's major character development takes place off screen, and Asahi is nothing more than a cackling anime villain. Yotsuyu is the only character that undergoes any kind of real development, but it's mostly along the, "Man, I guess I really am hosed up, huh," axis and is only apparent in the moments before her death. It leads to very bland storytelling that's largely composed of characters reacting to events in exactly the way you'd expect them to, and ultimately lacks the vitality that Heavensward had.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Bobfly posted:

Dungeons are better, though. At least the 4.0 dungeons, I haven't done the others. But yeah, the original story wasn't strong.

Oh yeah, the dungeons and raids are the best they've ever been mechanically, and I also think this is more or less true across the board for how the jobs actually play. But the story of everything has been really meh, even if Omega did manage to turn it around in the last raid tier.

Except the 4 lords. 4 lords is dumb as hell and totally rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Doma is a really strong setting, at least. The minor characters seem to really shine, the maps are good, the music is good, the tribes are good. As for the main plot, it's not Heavensward, but Gosetsu and Yotsuyu really carry it, and while Hien can be a little bland, at least he isn't Lyse. It's good and better than the Ala Mhigo half.

As for Omega, I really like it because I really like Phantom Train. I don't pay much attention to the cutscenes.