Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Chadzok posted:

Probably the angled screens. Didn't use or keep mine for long enough to get headaches, sold it based on my initial gut/eyeball reaction.

Yeah as another experiment I put a piece of paper in front of my left eye to remove IPD setting as a variable and it still caused eye strain and some motion sickness. Eugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Lemming posted:

Yeah as another experiment I put a piece of paper in front of my left eye to remove IPD setting as a variable and it still caused eye strain and some motion sickness. Eugh.

Didn't really get any of that on the 8k in about half an hour of use but if they can't get rid of the edge distortions I don't reckon its worth expanding fov

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 29, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skyarb posted:

Pokerstarsvr is fun in the goofiest way. Some people take it very seriously which is hilarious to me.

Real Serious Pokerbros are hilarious in any situation, but in a VR game where you play with fake money, dress as goofily as possible and throw tiny donkeys at each other, their earnestness is extra hilarious.

Just chill with people and make stupid bets with your fake money. Then take that tiny donkey and make it smoke a cigarette. This is the essence of Pokerstars

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Real Serious Pokerbros are hilarious in any situation, but in a VR game where you play with fake money, dress as goofily as possible and throw tiny donkeys at each other, their earnestness is extra hilarious.

Just chill with people and make stupid bets with your fake money. Then take that tiny donkey and make it smoke a cigarette. This is the essence of Pokerstars

I go all in every bet and it really pissed them off haha

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Skyarb posted:

I go all in every bet and it really pissed them off haha

If you do it pre-flop that pisses me off too.

I'm not a serious poker bro or anything, but I like to actually play hands

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah that poo poo is annoying and makes the game not enjoyable for anyone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don’t go all in pre-flop. Don’t play only obviously good hands and nothing else, bluffing is part of the game.

Doing those things is just boring/annoying.

When I say stupid bets I mean don’t fold on a 2-7 off suit, stick around to see what happens

7-7-2 flops can happen if you believe in yourself

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Don’t go all in pre-flop. Don’t play only obviously good hands and nothing else, bluffing is part of the game.

Doing those things is just boring/annoying.

When I say stupid bets I mean don’t fold on a 2-7 off suit, stick around to see what happens

7-7-2 flops can happen if you believe in yourself

I will play literally any hand that doesn't get raised pre-flop. If the blind is all I need, I'm in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same, always pay to see the flop as long as no one goes nuts with raises pre flop

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

mehall posted:

I will play literally any hand that doesn't get raised pre-flop. If the blind is all I need, I'm in.

Same.

I'll call someones bullshit all in with 2-7 as well(ok not all the time, but when its someone just all in all the time I do). I wanna see that flop!

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
It turns out the poker bros were coming from inside the house!

What is the best shooter for vr? Pavlov?

mehall posted:

If you do it pre-flop that pisses me off too.

I'm not a serious poker bro or anything, but I like to actually play hands

To be fair if you join a room and 5/6 of the people at the table are slamming their fists on the table chanting "All in all in!" every round while throwing donkeys and cigars everywhere it may be best to find another room for more serious poker lol

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 28, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Skyarb posted:

It turns out the poker bros were coming from inside the house!

What is the best shooter for vr? Pavlov?

Echo Combat

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Lemming posted:

Echo Combat

Do you have any recommendations for games not on the Oculus store?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Skyarb posted:

They're all worse than Echo Combat

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

They're all worse than Echo Combat

You're just mad xplacebo wrecked you in contractors last night. :P

Skyarb posted:

Contractors.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

You're just mad xplacebo wrecked you in contractors last night. :P

I was using the garbage Vive sticks combined with an eyeball destroying headset, gimme a break! The rounds I switched back to the Rift as a comparison I actually did fine, lol. Jesus those controllers are night and day, it's actually worse than I remembered it being.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

I was using the garbage Vive sticks combined with an eyeball destroying headset, gimme a break! The rounds I switched back to the Rift as a comparison I actually did fine, lol. Jesus those controllers are night and day, it's actually worse than I remembered it being.

You're telling me. I've been lazy moving back to my rift from my Vive Pro and hahahaha my rounds on those fuckin vive wands.

If it wasnt such a pain in the dick to swap mid stream I'd def be on my rift more outside of saber.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

You're telling me. I've been lazy moving back to my rift from my Vive Pro and hahahaha my rounds on those fuckin vive wands.

If it wasnt such a pain in the dick to swap mid stream I'd def be on my rift more outside of saber.

You should try out https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-InputEmulator I think it should let you setup your Touch controllers as emulated Vive controllers, it seems like sort of hacky and annoying but might be worth it if you're using your Pro a lot. I haven't tried it myself but was considering doing it if the Pimax was good but, uh, yeah.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

You should try out https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-InputEmulator I think it should let you setup your Touch controllers as emulated Vive controllers, it seems like sort of hacky and annoying but might be worth it if you're using your Pro a lot. I haven't tried it myself but was considering doing it if the Pimax was good but, uh, yeah.

The issue with that is games not supporting more than X# of virtual objects and stuff. So 2 light houses + 4 Sensors + 2 controllers + headset + potentially LIV trackers = Way more than some engines can handle?

Saq was dicking with a similar thing with some game, I forget. But he's been all kinds of crazy with setups lately.

I might mess with it though. I really hate the wiimotes outside of saber. For Saber, Love em. Claw grips op. But oof trying to reload say, a pistol.

EDIT: Do love my pro though. Comfy, and if you can literally set the money on fire its nice. Still wouldn't recommend it for average joe though.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

EbolaIvory posted:

Contractors.

I'll second this despite it's moronically, terrible name.

I've played lots of Echo Combat VR but the gunplay sucks imho and the TTK is way too high which is fair because that's the kind of game it is. You need to play smarter and work well with your team. It's a good game especially if you want to get your Ender's Game feels going. Nothing beats flying upside down and backwards blasting away with your Pulsar or hanging off the ceiling in a hard to see spot sniping people with your Comet.

Contractors is in a good spot for me. I dislike CSGO. I dislike ARMA3. (Pavlov, Onward respectively in my mind) but I played a TON of Insurgency which hits right at home to me for Contractors. Gunplay feels good, movement feels goods. Get it while it's still on sale!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Got everything going with wmr

Beat Saber: amazing
Space pirate trainer: Holy shitttttt
Thrill of the fight: am I dying?

I've already punched the TV and a cup like a half dozen times A+

Gonna pick up the climb, plank experience, and maybe a shooter of some sort. Seems like contractors is the way to go?

E: like forreal when things started to get real with the lasers coming at me a dozen at a time I felt my pulse go nuts. Space pirate trainer is love

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 29, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

https://youtu.be/VrKe_ZsZkpU

I mean, nah. My kid made a map too, and I published it because I care about her more than a nerd screaming. It wasn't this one, though.

You'll know.

I mean, it's made worse by the fact that the song is poo poo.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Has anyone had this issue with POLYBIUS with the oculus where the preview image on the monitor just shows black? I'm totally stumped

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Got everything going with wmr

Beat Saber: amazing
Space pirate trainer: Holy shitttttt
Thrill of the fight: am I dying?

I've already punched the TV and a cup like a half dozen times A+

Gonna pick up the climb, plank experience, and maybe a shooter of some sort. Seems like contractors is the way to go?

E: like forreal when things started to get real with the lasers coming at me a dozen at a time I felt my pulse go nuts. Space pirate trainer is love

If you like that I'd recommend xortex game in the lab it's pretty good and free.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

SabinBlitz posted:

I'll second this despite it's moronically, terrible name.

I've played lots of Echo Combat VR but the gunplay sucks imho and the TTK is way too high which is fair because that's the kind of game it is. You need to play smarter and work well with your team. It's a good game especially if you want to get your Ender's Game feels going. Nothing beats flying upside down and backwards blasting away with your Pulsar or hanging off the ceiling in a hard to see spot sniping people with your Comet.

Contractors is in a good spot for me. I dislike CSGO. I dislike ARMA3. (Pavlov, Onward respectively in my mind) but I played a TON of Insurgency which hits right at home to me for Contractors. Gunplay feels good, movement feels goods. Get it while it's still on sale!

Awesome thank you for the actual answer! I'll pick it up!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Professor Latency posted:

Has anyone had this issue with POLYBIUS with the oculus where the preview image on the monitor just shows black? I'm totally stumped
Same problem but no solution yet

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we’re talking contractor$, how does it run if you don’t meet the CPU requirements?

I have the 1060 gpu and more than enough ram, but i have a Ryzen 5 1400.

Here is how it compares to their minimum CPU: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1400/2919vs2992

Any thoughts

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Since we’re talking contractor$, how does it run if you don’t meet the CPU requirements?

I have the 1060 gpu and more than enough ram, but i have a Ryzen 5 1400.

Here is how it compares to their minimum CPU: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-7600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1400/2919vs2992

Any thoughts

Have you got a B or X-series motherboard and decent cooling? It'd be a lot more comparable when overclocked. 3.8-3.9Ghz is usually possible with the stock cooler, given your case has good airflow.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 29, 2018

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Lemming posted:

There is something wrong with your 5k, mine is amazing and I've had it for a few weeks now, by far the best headset out there bar none. I would instantly recommend it over any other barring that you have the computer for it. I just came back playing for several hours.

I could never go back to any 110 degree fov headsets ever again.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 29, 2018

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fredrik1 posted:

There is something wrong with your 5k, mine is amazing, by far the best headset out there bar none, I would instantly recommend it over any other barring that you have the computer for it. I just came back playing for several hours.

Everyone has different tolerances for jank.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I dont have VR yet and I am split between waiting on a deal on a Rift or buying a brand new in box psvr + beatsaber & borderlands 2 bundle someone locally is selling for $180 (comes with controllers)

I have a pc with a 9700k and 1080 ti. What should I do goons?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SwissCM posted:

Have you got a B or X-series motherboard and decent cooling? It'd be a lot more comparable when overclocked. 3.8-3.9Ghz is usually possible with the stock cooler, given your case has good airflow.

I have an Asrock AB350M Pro4

I know it has overclocking options but I’ve never played with them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Green Gloves posted:

I dont have VR yet and I am split between waiting on a deal on a Rift or buying a brand new in box psvr + beatsaber & borderlands 2 bundle someone locally is selling for $180 (comes with controllers)

I have a pc with a 9700k and 1080 ti. What should I do goons?

For sure get the Rift. So many more options. Beatsaber is on PC and Borderlands 2 will be when the Sony exclusivity agreement runs out.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have an Asrock AB350M Pro4

I know it has overclocking options but I’ve never played with them.

I have the same motherboard with a Ryzen 1200 at 3.85Ghz. Look up some guides and give it a shot, it's fairly foolproof these days.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

SwissCM posted:

Everyone has different tolerances for jank.

The headset is more or less identical to the Vive Pro/Odessy in image quality except with lcd so a little bit worse blacks but the lenses are super good and you can actually look around in it.

The only "jank" is some distortion way in the periphery of the image, which was also improved a lot in the last firmware update. Now I don't even notice it at all while playing.

It certainly doesn't cause more eye fatigue than the rift or the vive.

They still have some software issues to fix Onward looks like crap for some reason in it, but my Vive Pro is on the shelf and hasn't been touched since I got it.

Contractors is amazing in it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the scoring system for Soundboxing? I've been able to complete several songs at normal speed without missing a beat but my score tends to hover around 75% of the global leaderboards. Like 5 mill for me vs 7.5 mill for the global #1 score.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fredrik1 posted:

The only "jank" is some distortion way in the periphery of the image, which was also improved a lot in the last firmware update. Now I don't even notice it at all while playing.

So what you mean to say is that there is jank, and you have a high tolerance of it?

Everyone's perception is different, issues that may be small to you may be significant to others. This is compounded greatly by VR where visual defects can trigger nausea.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 29, 2018

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
played my first 5v5 defuse (whatever is called) in pavlov. that was a ton of fun. started paying contractors, but the default settings I did not like. after some tweaks it played really nice (hold to grip was the biggie).

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

SwissCM posted:

So what you mean to say is that there is jank, and you have a high tolerance of it?

Everyone's perception is different, issues that may be small to you may be significant to others.

No, what I'm saying is that there is probably something wrong with lemmings 5k, which isn't extremely unlikely, if he experience that much eye fatigue.

Neither me, or anybody I've shown it to has noted that this is an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do not try to justify your HMD opinions in this thread, it is folly.