Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
There are a few mythology gags referencing other Black Mirror episodes, but Bandersnatch is entirely self-contained and would work just fine without prior experience with Black Mirror, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

BisterdDave posted:

Would you recommend it to someone who's never seen a Black Mirror epsiode before?

"wot if ur cell phone was ya best mate"

there youre all caught up

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Does anyone remember that old Final Destination movie that had a really lovely cyoa thing on the dvd? Only one choice actually made any real difference which was the first choice and the rest were all completely inconsequential and basically just showed a few seconds ofan alternate take. Not sure how I feel about reviving the gimmick, but it's cool to see Netflix take a crack at it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Thom and the Heads posted:

What if every time you upvoted something a child died.

What if sending a dick pic stole your dicks soul.

What if the Internet Of Things was elected Prime Minister.

What if Fortnight dance but nazis.

Just a preview of next season for you

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

"What if Twilight Zone but smug" is basically all you need to know about Black Mirror

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

"What if Twilight Zone but smug" is basically all you need to know about Black Mirror

Twilight Zone was plenty smug dude let's be real.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Twilight Zone was plenty smug dude let's be real.

It was smug for it's time but made a lot of advancements in smugness since then.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I mean, if you think about it, most works of fiction basing themselves on the inherent inhumanity of people are smug.

"Oh aliens are attacking? Nope it was man who was the true evil all along :smug:"

"Soon all of human society will be based on how you act online and those with low score will be shunned :smug:"

"Oh you wish for the power to have all the money in the world? Everything you touch turns to gold.....including your family! :smug:"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Anyone remember the episode of the Twilight Zone where a man is attacked by an evil sentient slot machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixj_dn94jek

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

OldTennisCourt posted:

"Soon all of human society will be based on how you act online and those with low score will be shunned :smug:"

This is basically the plot of Daphne & Velma, which manages to not be :smug: at all

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Smug is an absurdly subjective metric and probably says a lot more about the person claiming something is "smug" than the work itself, hth

e: :colbert:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 28, 2018

Parachute
May 18, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Smug is an absurdly subjective metric and probably says a lot more about the person claiming something is "smug" than the work itself, hth

you type pretty well with your arms crossed over your chest, man!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DrNutt posted:

e: :colbert:

:agreed:

There’s nothing smug at all about The Twilight Zone. In the late 50s/early 60’s a lot of viewers needed to have the often obvious moral of the episode beat into their head with zero subtlety.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

Does anyone remember that old Final Destination movie that had a really lovely cyoa thing on the dvd? Only one choice actually made any real difference which was the first choice and the rest were all completely inconsequential and basically just showed a few seconds ofan alternate take. Not sure how I feel about reviving the gimmick, but it's cool to see Netflix take a crack at it.

DVD's don't have the storage space for the combinatorial explosion of video files if your choices actually matter. Netflix has effectively infinite storage, so they can do more. Their Minecraft: Story Mode port is surprisingly faithful to the "real" version.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Bandersnatch was kind of neat. I thought the branching storylines were integrated fairly well, although there were a lot of "Well, what's your choice? It's up to you" while the guy stares nervously for ten seconds. When you get to one of the endings it gives you the option to go back to the previous choice so you don't have to sit through everything. Although I got to an ending eventually that didn't give me any options to go back so I guess that's it. There's probably other ones too, but I didn't feel like starting over just then.

"What does Pacman stand for? Program and control. He's Program and Control Man. It's all a metaphor."

"What the gently caress is Netflix?"

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s nothing smug at all about The Twilight Zone. In the late 50s/early 60’s a lot of viewers needed to have the often obvious moral of the episode beat into their head with zero subtlety.

If the general discussions surrounding black mirror are any indication that hasn’t changed and it’s lack of subtlety is the only reason it’s popular

I like Black Mirror, fwiw, it’s really well executed and about as profound as that kind of tv can be so I appreciate it modernizing the twilight zone format

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I haven't seen anyone mention it, but Hereditary is streaming on Amazon Prime and it's a great slow-burn horror film.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tbf people haven't really improved much since then. If you feel like it's smug, you either already know what's being talked about and are tired of hearing about it (I expect this would be most people in this thread) or are actively hostile to the lessons they're trying to impart.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Thom and the Heads posted:

My favorite is, "What if phones, but too much?"

Snark aside, I really, really loved San Junipero. More so after initially thinking it had a good ending, but hitting the fridge horror of, "Oh no, wait. That's bad," about a day later.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Shut Up and Dance and White Bear are some of the best episodes of TV in years tbh.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'd say one difference in outlooks is Black Mirror feels a lot more pessimistic- like the Twilight Zone was trying to argue for change and Black Mirror is more of the "Well we're probably doomed, not much we can do about it" school.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Queen Combat posted:

Snark aside, I really, really loved San Junipero. More so after initially thinking it had a good ending, but hitting the fridge horror of, "Oh no, wait. That's bad," about a day later.
The ending song was a stroke of genius

Black Mirror is a show I have to be a bit careful about when I watch because the “good” episodes make you feel pretty horrible afterwards.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Everyone always compares Black Mirror to The Twilight Zone, but I think it has far more in common with the 90’s Outer Limits. Twilight Zone always had a stronger emphasis on testing humanity through extreme situations, whereas Black Mirror and the Outer Limits are more about humanity being corrupted by the things we create. Twilight Zone ends up feeling more optimistic because the crux of each episode is how the characters deal with the moral crucible they’ve been thrown into. Black Mirror and Outer Limits feel pessimistic because things are hosed from the very beginning and usually get worse.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

david_a posted:

The ending song was a stroke of genius

Black Mirror is a show I have to be a bit careful about when I watch because the “good” episodes make you feel pretty horrible afterwards.

The ending of the Christmas special is honestly one of the most horrifying endings of any horror work I've ever seen. It's a nightmarish scenario.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Sarchasm posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention it, but Hereditary is streaming on Amazon Prime and it's a great slow-burn horror film.

This movie hosed me up real good. +1 to this recommendation.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

rngd in the womb posted:

This movie hosed me up real good. +1 to this recommendation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffewing/2018/06/29/hereditary-and-the-economics-of-serving-the-demon-king-paimon-spoilers/

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Does Bandersnatch have a "let me just watch this" option, if you don't care about making the choices?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

You can just not choose and it'll pick an option for you. But you might end up with a pretty boring story that way. There's no version where it removes the choices though, that's kind of the point of it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
*Deathbulge comic where guy slam-dunks Bandersnatch into the trash*

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

How the hell am I supposed to play my Switch while only paying partial attention to the tv f I have to participate? 1/10 would not exist in same room as again.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

god drat Happy! is a lot of fun. How did something this wild and good get made by SyFy of all companies?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Fart City posted:

god drat Happy! is a lot of fun. How did something this wild and good get made by SyFy of all companies?

What’s it streaming on? I heard it was based on a Grant Morrison story and was interested in seeing how they handled it. I’m even more intrigued now that you say it’s good.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

mysterious frankie posted:

What’s it streaming on? I heard it was based on a Grant Morrison story and was interested in seeing how they handled it. I’m even more intrigued now that you say it’s good.

Netflix.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Lycus posted:

Netflix.

Nice! On the queue behind the new Black Mirror and Letterkenny on Hulu.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fart City posted:

Wasn't it produced by an outside studio?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

precision posted:

Wasn't it produced by an outside studio?

The whole deal is exec produced/directed by Brian Taylor, so it has that Crank mentality, but it’s still impressive how balls-out wild and violent it is for a SyFy show.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
SyFy has kinda stepped up their game in the last few years. The movies are as poo poo as ever, but pretty much all of their recent shows are neat; Z Nation is probably the worst of the bunch and even it's pretty fun.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Hmm....Forehead guy, Patton Oswalt and an imaginary unicorn? I think I'll start Happy! tomorrow when I get out of the hospital and have to take it easy.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
SyFy also makes Channel Zero which is secretly the best horror show currently on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Fart City posted:

Cheese and crackers, you weren’t joking about this being good! Strong recommend to anyone on the fence, even if the sheer intensity of the rollercoaster drops off after episode one, which it doesn’t appear to be doing.

OldTennisCourt posted:

SyFy also makes Channel Zero which is secretly the best horror show currently on TV.

Also true. It’s what I wish American Horror Story was and also the first three seasons are on Shudder.