Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
dating a sugar daddy without getting any actual sugar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Admiral Ray posted:

This is one of the many reasons that science is trash.

e-mail was invented so scientists could share data and discuss theories without having to be in the same room as one another because some of them were super gross

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
bury him in lye

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Fatkraken posted:

e-mail was invented so scientists could share data and discuss theories without having to be in the same room as one another because some of them were super gross

When she says he's the best in his field she meant it literally. His work provided him a nice pasture so they wouldn't have to deal with his hygiene.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ugh there were so many smelly guys in STEM. They'd choke a room.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

cumshitter posted:

From the OP lady who is dating Master Belch:

Oh, this guy is cool now

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Taco Bell is secretly very vegan/vegetarian friendly. You can substitute beans, potatoes, etc in any of their menu items from their weird rear end Doritos chalupas to every taco to any beef or chicken burrito/quesadilla on the menu. Most people don't know.

That's cool, I learned something today.

Tired joke: There's no meat in their ground beef anyway, just soy and spices to imitate meat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

Tired joke: There's no meat in their ground beef anyway, just soy and spices to imitate meat.

not far from the truth, it's got a lot of oatmeal filler in it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

Ladies, if he:
  • is covered with a thick film of industrial adhesive
  • gives you uti's from across the room
  • has trapped you with his sticky wicket
he's not your man he's a baited glue trap and you are a household pest

I haven’t read everything in the last thread update and I almost don’t want context for this.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Pick posted:

Ugh there were so many smelly guys in STEM. They'd choke a room.

This is true but not as true as reddit would like it to be. STEM is an excuse to be gross or weird now. It makes my blood boil whenever these girls post about their 37M boyfriends who don't shower and won't eat vegetables, but it's actually ok because they possess a unique STEM logic.

I have personally worked with dozens of engineers over the years. Real ones with engineering degrees (not "software engineers") so they've done the whole years of math and analysis etc... I'm sure they were quirkier than the population as a whole, but in general engineers are a smart, well adjusted, motivated, professional group and they don't have to smell and have terrible childish opinions by default. The way STEM gets used to excuse bad behavior is embarrassing.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

gently caress Your Website posted:

Lot going on on this page

It's half backlash from Christmas and pre-gaming for New Years so all the tension is rising to the top. Buckle up, we got at least 5 more days of fun

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I haven't worked with STEMs but if they're so smart and insist on acting so stuffy then you think they'd try to act a little less stupid. Or even just "basic hygeine is a human evolutionary trait so I practice it because that's what intelligent people do"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's because it's an allowed excuse now, absolutely.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
People who break balls or use belittling humor are doing so from a place of deep-seated insecurity and pain. Ask yourself, why is it so easy to break other people down? Why are you so quick to do it? Can you go a day without trying to hurt someone? Why don't you? What are you avoiding?

I used to be like that, but I asked myself these questions and it was just a cry for help. It's probably a cry for help in your case, also. People who do this are good at it because they've got a voice inside them criticizing everything they do, or don't do, and the easiest escape is to turn that voice on something outside yourself. You can't create joy by taking it away from other people. You can't make yourself happy by making others miserable, that's crab-bucket nonsense. seriously goons just say nice things to other people and tell me if life doesn't get a billion times better.

make that your 2019 toxx or good luck staying miserable. the world breaks enough balls as is, you don't have to help.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

(M25) cut off my family. My mother has gotten wind that I'm playing music in a band again and I'm worried she'll show up to a gig.
Hi all,

So I've been freaking out about this today and just wanted either some guidance or some calming words. I've played in bands since I was 16 and joined my current one when I was 19. I had a son in 2017 and took about a year long hiatus from playing due to life stresses, one of them being my family. Many times since the birth of my child, my wife and I have felt severely intruded on and after several anxiety attacks and many boundaries we clearly communicated and not adhered to, we cut them off.

A relative of one of the band members Facebook lived us at our last gig and my mother ended up seeing it and asking if I was still playing in the band. She has since proceeded to message my drummer asking if I'd be playing tonight at a fairly popular bar in a mid-sized American city. My drummer messaged back essentially stating "though I don't feel this way about the situation, (my name) has expressed that he would like for you not to attend any shows. If you speak with him and he says otherwise then by all means we'd be happy to see you. Happy holidays!"

I play music for an escape. I do it to enjoy time with friends and to make a little cash on the side to support my wife and son. I need help calming down from this, I don't know how I'll be able to perform tonight if she or anyone else shows up.

Tl;Dr Estranged relationship with family. Mother got wind I was playing music, might show up to gig. I'm freaking out and on the verge of an anxiety attack.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I (28f) told my boyfriend (30m) that I didn’t like his Christmas present. Now he is super upset with me.

Boyfriend and I have been together almost 5 years. Historically, there has been some let down around holidays (he forgot my last two birthdays). So this year, before Christmas, we talked about what we should get each other. I gave him a few ideas that were easy, fun for us to do together, not very expensive. Then for Christmas, he gave me a sound bar for the tv. I honestly didn’t know what it was when I saw it. I am not a technology savvy person, and the gift seemed super random. He had been talking about wanting to get speakers for the tv recently. I started to feel like he bought the sound bar because he wanted it and said it was my present as an excuse. I thought either that, or even after all this time, he really just doesn’t know me well or know my interests.

Anyway, we got into a fight last night about my attitude recently. I have been having a very bad time at work the past few months and have fallen into a bad depression and have been having extreme anxiety. I’ve been crying a lot, bringing down the mood in our apartment and it’s been taking a toll on him. I don’t remember how, but the sound bar came up during the argument and I told him how I felt about it. His entire demeanor immediately changed. He got super upset, eyes teared up. He explained that he got it so we could listen to music together like we used to in our old house. We used to love doing that, but stopped once we moved. He then said he was done with the conversation and left the room.

I gave him some time then went to talk with him. He was still very upset. He told me that I’m an ungrateful, spoiled brat. I grew up in a suburb of our city that is known for being wealthy and kind of snobby, though I have never thought I fit that bill. He told me that I have the that suburb mentality and he hates it. I had no idea he felt this way about me. He said I’m ungrateful in other ways too but wouldn’t give an example.

I feel absolutely horrible that I hurt his feelings. I know I was being ungrateful and I should have kept my mouth shut about the present. I do actually like it now that I know how to use it and understand the meaning behind it. I also know that I should be grateful for any gift and shouldn’t have certain expectations. I feel terrible that I assumed his intentions were bad and I totally understand why he is so hurt. I’m embarrassed and very regretful for my words and actions. I just don’t know what to do now. I’ve never seen him this upset and it’s absolutely killing me. I am afraid he now views me differently or as a bad person. He said he’ll get over it eventually. But he also said it’s the most hosed up thing anyone has ever said to him. Where do I go from here? I’ve apologized profusely, I’m trying to give him some space, but it’s absolute torture. Is he reading too much into this? Am I just a spoiled brat? How can I fix it?

TLDR: My boyfriend got me a random Christmas present and I made unfair assumptions. His feelings are very hurt and I don’t know how to fix it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [25 F] cousin [27 F] constantly cheats on her military boyfriend [28 M] while deployed and it's making me hate her. He proposed.

So cousin and I are both navy spouses/STB spouses. And cousin has been one of my good friends as well, we've always been close. I understand a lot of service members cheat also, and I really don't want this to turn into a "all dependas are cheaters" post but something has been genuinely bothering me. I am also a navy wife, I haven't cheated on my husband but I frequently see other wives cheating and he frequently sees other members cheating and it horrifies us both how normalized it is.

I guess mine and cousins closeness reached a new level that she decided to reveal her behaviour to me while her boyfriend is being deployed.

She cheats on him, constantly. She meets multiple guys on tinder and fucks them then ghosts them, she has cheated on her previous husband with this one specific guy who doesn't actually care about her/just leads her on and is now being a complete idiot with him too behind her boyfriends back and bangs this side guy every couple weeks because he only makes time for her every couple weeks. It's obvious he doesn't care about her but she still goes back to him.

The first time she cheated, I told her to tell her boyfriend or I wouldn't talk to her again. She told him, sent me the screenshots and they broke up for a whopping two days. She promised it wouldn't happen again.

She told me she suspects that navy boyfriend wants to propose. I told her I felt sad for him because she treats him like poo poo. She told me it was over between her and side guy, but I saw her still talking to him on snapchat. She has him under a different name.

Navy guy got home from his deployment, and proposed yesterday. It's been all over social media, she's going on about how inlove she is and putting on a show. My entire family knows she cheats regularly on him, but doesn't say anything. My own aunt told my cousin "what he doesn't know won't hurt him" She's convinced everyone else that she's been loyal and she's lied to my face saying she's not cheating anymore.

She messaged me asking me to be a bridesmaid and just... I'm not interested. I think she's selfish and cruel and he deserves better. He's working his rear end off, sending her money while she's out being disgusting. It makes me not want to be around her and I'm so disappointed in her.

I don't know what to do. I just feel so annoyed and disgusted with her selfishness. He deserves better. I don't really have proof so I don't know how/if to tell him the truth. I'm pretty sure my entire family would shun me if I told him and I don't want the drama but it breaks my heart seeing how inlove he is but she's just taking advantage of him.

TLDR my cousin cheats on her boyfriend in the navy and wants me to be a bridesmaid but I don't support their relationship and think he deserves better.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

People who break balls or use belittling humor are doing so from a place of deep-seated insecurity and pain. Ask yourself, why is it so easy to break other people down? Why are you so quick to do it? Can you go a day without trying to hurt someone? Why don't you? What are you avoiding?

I used to be like that, but I asked myself these questions and it was just a cry for help. It's probably a cry for help in your case, also. People who do this are good at it because they've got a voice inside them criticizing everything they do, or don't do, and the easiest escape is to turn that voice on something outside yourself. You can't create joy by taking it away from other people. You can't make yourself happy by making others miserable, that's crab-bucket nonsense. seriously goons just say nice things to other people and tell me if life doesn't get a billion times better.

make that your 2019 toxx or good luck staying miserable. the world breaks enough balls as is, you don't have to help.
counterpoint: have a sense of humor about yourself and others and everything around you and/or do us funhavers a favor and stay in the hamper with the rest of the wet towels

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

My boyfriend and I grief each other all the time because it's funny, not because of... any of that wall of :chloe:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Yawgmoth posted:

counterpoint: have a sense of humor about yourself and others and everything around you and/or do us funhavers a favor and stay in the hamper with the rest of the wet towels

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yawgmoth posted:

Yep your definitely a fun haver and not someone people desperately avoid.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [25 F] cousin [27 F] constantly cheats on her military boyfriend [28 M] while deployed and it's making me hate her. He proposed.

people who cheat are already scum, but cheating on a military SO is kind of sick in its own unique way. Like these people are finally coming home from horrific situations and are probably mentally hosed up in a way that would require some level of support from friends and family.

that's a big old yuck and I hope the op does the right thing

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

"I'm only being a piece of poo poo as a joke guys!" is still incredibly tedious and makes you a chore to interact with

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dunno poking fun at each other is kinda fun, i mean i can only speak for myself and lady frog (whom has endorsed this message)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Nah. We do it run off people we don't like.

*edit* Let me clarify. I don't like people who are super fragile and am super happy when they decide not to interact with me again. They're super tiresome.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 28, 2018

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Draxion posted:

"I'm only being a piece of poo poo as a joke guys!" is still incredibly tedious and makes you a chore to interact with

sneakyfrog posted:

i dunno poking fun at each other is kinda fun, i mean i can only speak for myself and lady frog (whom has endorsed this message)

Different strokes for different folks. Never the two shall meet

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's extremely easy to filter out the actual mean assholes because they absolutely cannot take it (because they have not actual sense of humor and are just being mean and saying it's a joke), and in fact you are encouraging them to continue interacting with you if your social group doesn't have a healthy pattern of positive joking

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Psychoanalyzing someone and determining they're suffering human beings with a shattered psyche because they once called me white girl wasted, no one would inflict such hurtful words on someone if they weren't dead inside

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
usually if i dont like you ignore the poo poo out of you

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

goons incredibly thrown off by the advice of 'try being nice once in a while'

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

If you don't find taking the piss out of people funny why the gently caress are you on something awful

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My friend: "haha what's up dork"

Me: "God has abandoned our universe and only despair reigns now"

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Teasing people you like is great, I feel like that's the point when you are really friends with someone.

BUT there are people who a.) use goofing around as an excuse to be genuinely rude/mean b.) edgelords with no filter that take it too far and c.) people who see bros riffing on TV/movies and assume that you can just go up to anyone and start giving them a hard time about personal stuff. These groups overlap often.

The person in the story that triggered this does sound kind of high-strung, but it's not hard to tell when people don't want to be teased. If these guys just think they're rick from rick and morty then yeah, i can see why she feels attacked.

~the truth is in the middle~ because on one hand she might be battered by edgelords, but on the other hand the brother being like "lol i thought the before pic was better lol" is such a gentle ribbing that she definitely needs to loosen up.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

people who cheat are already scum, but cheating on a military SO is kind of sick in its own unique way. Like these people are finally coming home from horrific situations and are probably mentally hosed up in a way that would require some level of support from friends and family.

that's a big old yuck and I hope the op does the right thing

10$ they are a marine. They double your pay if you are married so they propose to randos all the time. turns out randos like the bennies and the marine is gone for 9months at a time.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
it sounded to me like she's just friends with and dates a bunch of chuds

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I assume when people say STEM they're actually just talking about computer people and engineers. Most of the guys I know that are in natural sciences or math aren't disgusting swamp monsters. They should probably just get rid of the S at this point.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im just giggling right now at a gbs thread having a bit of a banter about being nice to people.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

snergle posted:

10$ they are a marine. They double your pay if you are married so they propose to randos all the time. turns out randos like the bennies and the marine is gone for 9months at a time.

They double your pay? lol, bullshit.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

spacetoaster posted:

They double your pay? lol, bullshit.

army does too afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost