Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Oh and also you can forge and reforge items up to +3 and you can check how much that'd improve an item by going to it in your equipment or item bag or whatever and hitting square.

Huh. Does it make sense to upgrade items? Or will beginner equipment eventually be rendered obsolete by later stuff, which can ALSO be upgraded, so that it doesn't really make sense to update something...?

Fretting about upgrade decisions is something I had actual (dumb) nightmares about

Edit: Well, I meant at least 40 hours, it's not like I've got an exact time budget over here, it's a long time until KH3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Does CrossCode talk go in here? I just started and got to the first actual combat area, and I wanted to know if there are any important side quests to do since most of these look like generic stuff.

I have a feeling I'm going to either love or hate parkour at the end of this though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Torquemadras posted:

Huh. Does it make sense to upgrade items? Or will beginner equipment eventually be rendered obsolete by later stuff, which can ALSO be upgraded, so that it doesn't really make sense to update something...?

Fretting about upgrade decisions is something I had actual (dumb) nightmares about

Edit: Well, I meant at least 40 hours, it's not like I've got an exact time budget over here, it's a long time until KH3

You get the currency, perfectionist pearls, to upgrade items by crafting new ones, and the act of crafting gives you a shot at upgrading your item - all the pearls do is let you play the crafting minigame again (though you can also use them on items you can't normally craft).

So craft away, make at least a +1 out of the gate, and use the pearls this gives you to upgrade an item you found instead of crafted. It's pretty win-win. As an additional note, you can eventually buy (but not sell) pearls so you don't need to fret about decisions or not playing the minigame perfectly first try.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 28, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Argona posted:

Does CrossCode talk go in here? I just started and got to the first actual combat area, and I wanted to know if there are any important side quests to do since most of these look like generic stuff.

I have a feeling I'm going to either love or hate parkour at the end of this though.

There's a slightly hidden one in town to fight a boss version of a regular enemy and recover a guy's gauntlet, off the top of my head.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
You can also buy perfectionist pearls later for not very much money. Upgrade whatever you're using and then you can maybe skip a tier of bought equipment and end up saving money.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Weapons and armor don't really have skills aside from like 'does damage to metal enemies' or 'Boosts MP when using X item' so upgrading them is a good idea because you don't really end up rolling in cash like Final Fantasy until really late in the game. So it's usually a better idea to try to upgrade a sword to +3 and a max of 56 attack rather than spend 700 of your 2000 gold buying a new sword with a base of 60.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Getsuya posted:

Turns out there's a bug in Romancing Saga Minstrel Song (may be only in the JP version, which is what I'm playing) when you use the spell Self Burning (dunno the English name) that makes it so you have almost 100% chance to block with a shield. Since the buff only ends when you take a hit, you can combine this with a good elemental-blocking shield and make a basically invincible character. In a normal game I'd avoid this kind of bug-abuse but this is SaGa so it's balanced for broken-ness. Albert, prepare to become an unhittable God.

now get glittering scales and forge it onto anything you have equipped to become immune to sonic damage

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Torquemadras posted:

Excellent, I love random book fluff hidden in towns!

Sometimes they give you cool backstory, sometimes they give you recipes, so it's definitely worth keeping an eye out.

Torquemadras posted:

Upgrading stuff is definitely useful, especially since if an item has a special effect, like HP regen or elemental defense, it'll also increase when you upgrade. It's true that regular weapons can eventually just be replaced, but other stuff remains useful or is unique in some way so it's worth keeping around. A lot of people don't realize you can upgrade accessories in this way to boost their effect, but it's real helpful!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

corn in the bible posted:

Upgrading stuff is definitely useful, especially since if an item has a special effect, like HP regen or elemental defense, it'll also increase when you upgrade.
Most of the time. A good rule of thumb is that an accessory with a special effect will increase that effect when upgraded, but an armor, weapon, or shield probably won't.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

One of the buttons on the equipment stats page will take you to another page that will show you exactly what happens when that equipment is upgraded

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Definitely upgrade all the unique card accessories to +3, they're awesome.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Argona posted:

There's a really important one near the end of the game that can be missed but if you do the game lets you rewind to grab it.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cheetah7071 posted:

Personally, as the biggest liveposting offender, I like liveposts in the RPG thread

I probably will just make an atelier/gust thread this weekend even if the last one died

Ayesha sold me on the series, so I know I'll definitely be playing more of them in 2019. Still kind of a toss-up whether I'm going to subscribe to PS Now to finish the dusk series or pick up some some cheap physical copies of the Mysterious games. I'm curious about the puzzle aspect to crafting in the newer games, that seems like it would be fun. Might save a PS Now subscription for later in the year when I know I'll have more time to take advantage of it, as once I go back to work I won't have as much time to sink in as I did with Ayesha. A subscription real-life time limit is more daunting than one in the games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Ayesha sold me on the series, so I know I'll definitely be playing more of them in 2019. Still kind of a toss-up whether I'm going to subscribe to PS Now to finish the dusk series or pick up some some cheap physical copies of the Mysterious games. I'm curious about the puzzle aspect to crafting in the newer games, that seems like it would be fun. Might save a PS Now subscription for later in the year when I know I'll have more time to take advantage of it, as once I go back to work I won't have as much time to sink in as I did with Ayesha. A subscription real-life time limit is more daunting than one in the games.

Lydie & Suelle is the only Mysterious game I can recommend without caveats if you do go that route. Escha & Logy too but that's Dusk so depends on what you decide.

e: I consider Ayesha to basically be Atelier Totori 2 in terms of how they explore the same space within the series' framework. Escha & Logy is a sequel in terms of plot but is closer to Rorona than Ayesha in terms of the gameplay structure. So that's something to consider.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 29, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's a good Atelier to start with? I have a ps4, a 3ds and a computer that could probably emulate a ps2. All this talk has made me curious.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Skwirl posted:

What's a good Atelier to start with? I have a ps4, a 3ds and a computer that could probably emulate a ps2. All this talk has made me curious.

Lydie and Suelle is probably the best one gameplay wise and is PS4. Ayesha and Totori have better stories but Totori is kind of rough around the edges even in the port, and Ayesha requires using PSNow to play on PS4. The PS2 games are fine (...mostly) but aren't a good indication of what the modern series is like.

Relatedly, I got curious and looked at a list of CGs in Totori and uh does something big happen in the Totori true end that I missed

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I’m not sure what they think the point of this thread is. Like discussing RPGs in general but never any one in particular
It's for discussing anything that doesn't already have a thread :colbert:

I've liveposted obscure rpgs in this thread with absolutely no remorse, i can't actually get mad about liveposting. I was just being difficult for no particular reason.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cheetah7071 posted:

Lydie & Suelle is the only Mysterious game I can recommend without caveats if you do go that route. Escha & Logy too but that's Dusk so depends on what you decide.

e: I consider Ayesha to basically be Atelier Totori 2 in terms of how they explore the same space within the series' framework. Escha & Logy is a sequel in terms of plot but is closer to Rorona than Ayesha in terms of the gameplay structure. So that's something to consider.

I decided to go back and look at your comments on Sophie again and I think I'd be willing to put up with a slow start, but I noticed you and somebody else mentioning Firis was supposed to be really bad? What's the story there?

I'm looking to play through a full set from the beginning, so maybe if Sophie is relatively weak and Firis not great I'll just stick with the Dusk games for now after all. I also saw Shallie didn't make your top 10 and was the only Atelier not to, and I'm a bit curious as to why?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Firis is an OPEN WORLD GAME and to make that work they had to cut pretty much everything that's good about the series, plus add a bunch of arbitrary gating to what you can do so you don't just skip everything. grind endlessly to accomplish anything at all! fun!

e:

cheetah7071 posted:

Lydie and Suelle is probably the best one gameplay wise and is PS4. Ayesha and Totori have better stories but Totori is kind of rough around the edges even in the port, and Ayesha requires using PSNow to play on PS4. The PS2 games are fine (...mostly) but aren't a good indication of what the modern series is like.

Relatedly, I got curious and looked at a list of CGs in Totori and uh does something big happen in the Totori true end that I missed

no, she just kinda shows up and it's revealed in Meruru that Astrid did it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Starting in E&L they tried to start making crafting a full minigame rather than just items in, item out. It works in E&L and the Mysterious games but in Shallie it's just extremely dull and makes every craft take forever with no upside for mastery or good decision making. I also think it has by far the worst writing of the Dusk trilogy. None of the new characters really grabbed me and the returning characters all felt like unlikable versions of themselves. Like Wilbell is the sane bratty selfish person she starts Ayesha as before her character development, but this time she's an adult in a position of authority so it's harmful instead of cute. It sounds like I'm really down on it and I sorta am but I still enjoyed it. It just felt like E&L fanfiction rather than a proper third entry. If possible, play the Vita version. In addition to coming with the DLC, it adds Ayesha and Logy as playable characters who aren't in the PS3 version even as DLC.

Firis is apparently just extremely grindy. I'm going to give it a shot after Meruru but I'm going to play other things in between.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 29, 2018

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
About 14 38 hours from now the Persona 5 Anime will air a new OVA episode and people are expecting Persona 5 R to be revealed.

14 hours from the original posting time will be an anime summary, but still could result in some reveals.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 29, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Are we really due for a remake this soon?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Crabtree posted:

No but that never stopped persona

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maybe for the ova atlus will let masashi ishihama make something visually interesting. that's right. another op

Crabtree posted:

it's just gonna be a p3p/p4g enhanced port thing, not an actual extensive remake

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Crabtree posted:

P3 FES was a year later, if anything this is slow on atlus's part

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the schedule was stupid Japanese TV showtimes so there's an extra day, though tomorrow will be an anime summary

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
glad that atlus will finally release persona 5 on switch so that one of my brothers will buy it next year or something and i can play it for a couple hours and then earn my license to poo poo on it just as much as i poo poo on persona 4

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

cheetah7071 posted:

Starting in E&L they tried to start making crafting a full minigame rather than just items in, item out. It works in E&L and the Mysterious games but in Shallie it's just extremely dull and makes every craft take forever with no upside for mastery or good decision making. I also think it has by far the worst writing of the Dusk trilogy. None of the new characters really grabbed me and the returning characters all felt like unlikable versions of themselves. Like Wilbell is the sane bratty selfish person she starts Ayesha as before her character development, but this time she's an adult in a position of authority so it's harmful instead of cute. It sounds like I'm really down on it and I sorta am but I still enjoyed it. It just felt like E&L fanfiction rather than a proper third entry. If possible, play the Vita version. In addition to coming with the DLC, it adds Ayesha and Logy as plausible characters who aren't in the PS3 version even as DLC.

Firis is apparently just extremely grindy. I'm going to give it a shot after Meruru but I'm going to play other things in between.

Hmm, thanks for the information, that was really helpful in making my decision. I can't really justify getting a Vita, sadly, so I am kind of hoping the Dusk games come to PS4 at some point. But I think I will just wait a little while before subscribing back to PSNow to finish the Dusk series. Also the far cheaper option, helpfully!

Wilbell was someone I really didn't care for at the beginning but she grew on me over the course of Ayesha. Thats too bad if she stays the same and didn't actually continue to grow as a character.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

glad that atlus will finally release persona 5 on switch so that one of my brothers will buy it next year or something and i can play it for a couple hours and then earn my license to poo poo on it just as much as i poo poo on persona 4

Why would you play it to complain about it when you could just not and say you did?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Internet people do strange things when they have nothing else to do

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Speaking of Persona, I'm surprised Persona 4 hasn't gotten a re-release on PS4. It still holds up extremely well for a PS2 era game, and a ton of people would buy it. Ideally, it would also get a steam release, but Atlus.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Speaking of Persona, I'm surprised Persona 4 hasn't gotten a re-release on PS4. It still holds up extremely well for a PS2 era game, and a ton of people would buy it. Ideally, it would also get a steam release, but Atlus.

As long as it's Golden.

I wouldn't imagine they would port the plain old PS2 version but companies an be dumb.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

NikkolasKing posted:

As long as it's Golden.

I wouldn't imagine they would port the plain old PS2 version but companies an be dumb.

There's kind of a precedent for Atlus putting uprezzed Vita games on PS4 since they ported P4 Dancing to PS4 for the dancing bundle. Switch would probably make more sense since it's a handheld (not that the original was a handheld game, obv, but I know several people that jumped on with Golden who say they couldn't imagine playing it on a non-handheld. Also the assets would probably hold up better.) Selfishly I would want a PC port for more presentation control, cheats / mods, and not having to re-buy it again in the future.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Randallteal posted:

There's kind of a precedent for Atlus putting uprezzed Vita games on PS4 since they ported P4 Dancing to PS4 for the dancing bundle. Switch would probably make more sense since it's a handheld (not that the original was a handheld game, obv, but I know several people that jumped on with Golden who say they couldn't imagine playing it on a non-handheld. Also the assets would probably hold up better.) Selfishly I would want a PC port for more presentation control, cheats / mods, and not having to re-buy it again in the future.

PC ports are ideal for me, too. Put P4G and SMTIVA on Steam and I will be very. very happy.

They have to do it someday...right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randallteal posted:

There's zero reason they wouldn't use the Vita version as at least a basis for an uprez/remaster. I'm still surprised they haven't just gotten it over with, considering almost every other good Vita game made the jump years ago.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I remember seeing somewhere that people not working on Persona 5 were working on Tokyo Mirage Sessions which delayed a number of projects.

E: Comiket gust things.
https://social.gust.co.jp/pc/event/comiket95/sp

https://twitter.com/GustSocialPR/status/1073143616523067392

Dehry fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 29, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

PC ports are ideal for me, too. Put P4G and SMTIVA on Steam and I will be very. very happy.

They have to do it someday...right?

Yakuza is on PC anything is possible

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dehry posted:

I remember seeing somewhere that people not working on Persona 5 were working on Tokyo Mirage Sessions which delayed a number of projects.

E: Comiket gust things.
https://social.gust.co.jp/pc/event/comiket95/sp

https://twitter.com/GustSocialPR/status/1073143616523067392

Sophie apparently has her own harem (-1 member).

https://twitter.com/GustSocialPR/status/1076069773505490944

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

an actual dog posted:

Yakuza is on PC anything is possible

sega also set a growing historical precedent for pc ports, while atlus' support for pc is purely a few titles published by atlus us specifically, so

i wouldn't be surprised if atlus jp allows a port of p5r to pc as a big step into the market space but if they don't, well, rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

vess looks horrifying