Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Considering going all the way and going for a second bachelors, but have a question.

quote:

I owe about $39,000 in private loans which would be settled next month through Navient. I only have about $12,000 in federal loans which that will be on IBR plan next year.

After a discussion with my relatives about my options, we have all agreed that it’s better to go all in and focus on my second bachelors degree right away as opposed to spacing it out.

I have 1 year of community college left to finish and ofcourse 2 years of (future university) to get my bachelors. So going all in will have me finish school in 2021, by that the time my eldest son will be 6 years old, and youngest will be 3.

The issue I have is that I do not know if essentially paying off $38,000 in student loans means I can re-borrow that amount for my bachelors. The max limit for a bachelors degree by Navient is $50,000 as I’ve been told. Are loans like credit cards, where if you pay it off you can re-borrow the amount?

Right now I’m living off my husband’s income of $24,000 a year gross. I cannot get a career using my original bachelors degree and husband never graduated college. Spacing it out would be a better move financially (debt wise) but that would mean 3-4 years more on a minimum wage job to pair with my husband’s. I’ll be in my 40s by the time I have an actual career.

Going all in is riskier, but means I can start off at $50,000+ a year by the time I’m 35. Combined income then would be $75,000+. So we would be better off.

So can I re-borrow the loans after I pay them off?

not the OP posted:

WTH is your degree in? I never suggest going back for a second bachelors degree. Beyond the first 3 years of graduation no one cares what you graduated in, and honestly by the time you're 35 no one is going to care what you majored in. I work in IT, i have an english degree, my co worker has psych, and another has history. just go find a job.

OP posted:

Visual arts with a major in Game Art.

Employers don’t take me seriously because my first degree was from a scam college

Lol

OPs further posts say that they want to go back for accounting, which is a valid major that can get them a good job, but goddamn, what a waste of time and money so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Way to bury the lede, Cacafuego:

quote:

I graduated in 2009 from Collins College. NONE OF THEIR CREDITS TRANSFERRED. They had bragged and sold lies to the students saying they are nationally accredited by an accreditation company. They are, but the credits do not transfer unless you go to University of Phoenix.

So I, and essentially many of my classmates who felt duped and couldn’t leave the college/forced to finish — had to basically start all over again from scratch. Hundreds of students already filed a class action lawsuit against the school but it never went anywhere. The college closed down indefinitely and became defunct.

My only choice is to pay off the student loans for a degree I cannot use. The degree I’m going for is accounting at a local community college and local university in the future.

I was forced to finish that school because my parents “didn’t believe in quitters and I reaped what I sow”. They refused to do FAFSA for another college if I had dropped out, even if that college was legitimate and $30,000 cheaper than the scammy one.

It was only a year after I graduated when they realized the parent plus loans affected them, did they finally apologized to me and said that they should’ve never forced me to finish. I had wanted to drop out back then after a semester, so it wasn’t exactly a last minute discovery.
BWM runs in the family, apparently.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

quote:

I have 1 year of community college left to finish and ofcourse 2 years of (future university) to get my bachelors. So going all in will have me finish school in 2021, by that the time my eldest son will be 6 years old, and youngest will be 3.

um, i'm not the best at math, but does this person have a newborn child? Also, they're unemployed right now and aren't going to work until they complete their 8th year of college and magically are given a 50k job from the 50k job faerie that comes around and puts checks under your pillow once you graduate.

quote:

The issue I have is that I do not know if essentially paying off $38,000 in student loans means I can re-borrow that amount for my bachelors.

that is not the issue you have, sister.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Cacafuego posted:

Considering going all the way and going for a second bachelors, but have a question.

Lol

OPs further posts say that they want to go back for accounting, which is a valid major that can get them a good job, but goddamn, what a waste of time and money so far.
I was going to ask if they could transfer credits from the first uni to another uni, do the extra for the second degree, and find a job...and then I read Thanatosian's post!

Spokes posted:

um, i'm not the best at math, but does this person have a newborn child? Also, they're unemployed right now and aren't going to work until they complete their 8th year of college and magically are given a 50k job from the 50k job faerie that comes around and puts checks under your pillow once you graduate.

that is not the issue you have, sister.
TBF ~$45-55k was the starting wage for an accountant when I graduated in 2014, and finding a job was easy... That said, I did work part to full time for all but one year of my time in college.

What I want to know is why her husband can only make $24k a year.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 28, 2018

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thanatosian posted:

BWM runs in the family, apparently.

Being brought up in the right socio-economic culture and experiencing that corresponding upbringing matter more than any other factors when determining success.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

SiGmA_X posted:

TBF ~$45-55k was the starting wage for an accountant when I graduated in 2014, and finding a job was easy... That said, I did work part to full time for all but one year of my time in college.

yeah, i don't think this person has literally ever held a job

quote:

What I want to know is why her husband can only make $24k a year.

i was curious about this as well! i looked at her reddit post history to see if there were any helpful details about their situation, and there are, and they're depressing. Apparently she is both trying to have another child and also leaving her husband (this is outside the scope of BWM but like, sometimes you just gotta know).

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Spokes posted:

i was curious about this as well! i looked at her reddit post history to see if there were any helpful details about their situation, and there are, and they're depressing. Apparently she is both trying to have another child and also leaving her husband (this is outside the scope of BWM but like, sometimes you just gotta know).
Oh boy... Humans and their bad decisions!!

Also, another one! Less BWM, more BWL. Also, I too hate Comcast.

Comcast telling me I'm about to go over my data limit on my INTERNET and need to spend $50/mo more to get "Unlimited data"
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/aa62p1/comcast_telling_me_im_about_to_go_over_my_data/

quote:

Correct sub for this? Anyways Comcast just called me and told me that I'm close to going over my monthly "data limit" for my internet. I thought that only pertains to phone contracts and 4g, etc. Since when does internet use data? Are they trying to pull one over on me? I can't really afford an extra $50/mo for internet.

Oh they also said to get around the data usage while streaming TV by using their app.

Edit: I guess they do have 1TB data cap that "only 1% of users surpass". Bullshit. In this day and age everyone is constantly streaming Youtube, Netflix, Twitch.tv, Hulu etc. Grimy company.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Murderball posted:

I'm a Patriots and Red Sox fan

So, you're a Masshole, in other words.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

therobit posted:

A green bay packers fan that likes cat statues might beis the worst type of sports fan that has ever existed.
ftfy

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Spokes posted:

I'm not sure that it is outside the scope. Though, I hope the inconsistencies indicate that she's making that poo poo up. Too bad for the kids if she's not.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Thanatosian posted:

I'm not sure that it is outside the scope. Though, I hope the inconsistencies indicate that she's making that poo poo up. Too bad for the kids if she's not.

Yeah, why would she say after her shiny $50k job arrives they'd be making $75k gross if she's going to be leaving him? And on his warnings, not sure what she'd be able to expect in terms of alimony or child support (if applicable).

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Alan Smithee posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/a9pkm2/i_29m_just_spent_another_awkward_holiday_with_my/

long story short OP is middle class, they are snobs. Read it or don't

but this is the relevant bit

Reading the top comment,

quote:

I'd also wager they're also probably not as wealthy as they want you to think they are.

That's probably likely. So many of the "rich" assholes I've encountered like the ones in that story are more often than not, floating everything on credit and are one bad day away from losing it all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Reading the top comment,

That's probably likely. So many of the "rich" assholes I've encountered like the ones in that story are more often than not, floating everything on credit and are one bad day away from losing it all.

Anyone pulling the "keep your POOR PERSON CAR behind the house where the neighbors can't see" is almost certainly someone who has a near negative net worth and a whole lot of debt. Having previously worked for a truly wealthy person, I used to see this same behavior in his associates/aspirational friends. Especially with the cars. It's always the cars. Have to have the latest. Especially if it was something he bought - all of these glom ons had to go buy a Lexus when he finally gave up his 15 year old Corolla and bought one. (More often than not he still just drove around in the 10 year old farm pickup).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
warren buffet drove a vw bug for like decades
zuck drives an acura
ingvar kamprad drove a volvo before he got too old to drive
ballmer drives a ford fusion

they do drive new, tho, i guess

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

bob dobbs is dead posted:

warren buffet drove a vw bug for like decades
zuck drives an acura
ingvar kamprad drove a volvo before he got too old to drive
ballmer drives a ford fusion

they do drive new, tho, i guess

Sam Walton did the "drive an old pickup forever" thing as well.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How often do these guys drive themselves around in their economy boxes? I got to imagine they keep one parked at the mansion for the image but primarily get carted around by teams of security and drivers.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How often do these guys drive themselves around in their economy boxes? I got to imagine they keep one parked at the mansion for the image but primarily get carted around by teams of security and drivers.

Warren drives himself to the office every morning and gets breakfast on the way at McDonald's. He pays for one of three breakfasts in exact change depending on how prosperous he feels.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/18/warren-buffett-buys-breakfast-from-mcdonalds-for-under-3-point-17.html

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Most rich people don't go around with security in their day to day lives, I imagine.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Most rich people don't go around with security in their day to day lives, I imagine.

Billionaires literally do! And they're who I'm talking about.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Sam Walton did the "drive an old pickup forever" thing as well.

Ross Perot drove an older Lincoln.

Counterpoint to all of them, Steve Jobs drove an exotic sports car that he refused to put license plates on.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Buffett has fences and cameras at his 650k house, but doesn't need security for the 5 minute commute between his home and the Berkshire Hathaway offices in Omaha. Omaha is a relatively big Midwestern city but I imagine it's awfully safe in the nicer parts of town.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ross Perot drove an older Lincoln.

Counterpoint to all of them, Steve Jobs drove an exotic sports car that he refused to put license plates on.

Worse, Jobs actually bought (by trade) and daily drove a new sports car every 6 months so he would never have to register the cars in California. Elizabeth Holmes picked up the same quirk when she was the CEO at Theranos.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Billionaires literally do! And they're who I'm talking about.

I suspect at least in the case of Warren Buffett, he's old enough and set in his ways enough that he doesn't want any of that in a direct way. No drivers/handlers/flanking-body-guards.

Not to mention there's like 6 people in Nebraska, one of which is him.

In reality, I wouldn't be surprised if he's got security but they keep their distance and more discreet as opposed to a bullshit nobody rapper with "his crew."

EDIT: discreet, not discrete

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I know a billionaire personally and he drives himself and his family around, lives in a pretty big but not palatial house, and flies commercial most of the time. The reason is primarily according to him that private security is expensive, generally a pain in the rear end to book and manage and attracts more attention than it is worth.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It helps that Buffett's kids are grown and he's a widower. There aren't a lot of people you can snatch from him for ransom and kidnapping an 88 year old is only going to get you so far. His sons aren't even that much of a target because he's not leaving his fortune to them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Warren drives himself to the office every morning and gets breakfast on the way at McDonald's. He pays for one of three breakfasts in exact change depending on how prosperous he feels.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/18/warren-buffett-buys-breakfast-from-mcdonalds-for-under-3-point-17.html

Venerate the thrifty entrepreneur, but also extremely traditional gender roles, I guess.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Berkshire pays something like a half million a year for Buffets security. I assume he has a tail, but I could be wrong.

E: also I'm jealous of his 5min commute...

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

kimbo305 posted:

Venerate the thrifty entrepreneur, but also extremely traditional gender roles, I guess.

In the HBO biopic it's all but openly acknowledged that Warren Buffett is on the autism spectrum and would have never been successful in life were it not for traditional gender stereotypes allowing him to find someone who could help him function in normal waking life. He openly acknowledges these shortcomings, and states the "three most worthwhile investments he's made" to be the two wedding rings for his first and second wives, and the house he owns in Omaha. I don't know that a normal functioning person should ever aspire to be what he is or have what he has.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Worse, Jobs actually bought (by trade) and daily drove a new sports car every 6 months so he would never have to register the cars in California. Elizabeth Holmes picked up the same quirk when she was the CEO at Theranos.

Boy now that's a shock.

This is a small personal BWM story, but I'm in the process of cleaning out my basement over the holidays and I come across my stash of old baseball and basketball cards. I didn't count, but my guess is that I have around 3,000 cards bought between 88 and 93 or so. All of them are worthless, literally. What few places out there that still sell cards won't even look at cards from this era because they were so overproduced. I'm pretty sure I dropped a few hundred dollars on cards back then over that whole time period, and I would have been between 7-12, so it's not like I had lots of income to throw around. God I wish I had done anything else with that money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Boy now that's a shock.

This is a small personal BWM story, but I'm in the process of cleaning out my basement over the holidays and I come across my stash of old baseball and basketball cards. I didn't count, but my guess is that I have around 3,000 cards bought between 88 and 93 or so. All of them are worthless, literally. What few places out there that still sell cards won't even look at cards from this era because they were so overproduced. I'm pretty sure I dropped a few hundred dollars on cards back then over that whole time period, and I would have been between 7-12, so it's not like I had lots of income to throw around. God I wish I had done anything else with that money.

I'm executor for my mom's estate and we found a huge stash of silver coins that her mother had bought/collected since the 1980's. This included a complete 25 coin 'Treasures of the Caribbean' set from the Franklin Mint in a decorative case with a pile of CoA forms that retailed for $800 in 1989. I vowed to not let this poo poo go to another generation and sold it for less than the raw value of the silver. All the heirs will get more utilization out of the large 5 topping pizza they can now buy with their share of the proceeds.

Collectibles are a fool's game.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Post that immortal Calvin and Hobbs comic where Hobbs asks how the comic books (baseball cards?) will be valuable if every kid is stuffing tons of them in the attic.

"we're all counting on the other kids' moms to throw them out"

I will say that the several hundreds of dollars of Legos that I had growing up have basically held their value if not gone up, but I still think having less stuff to lug around for 32 years would have been better.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Counterpoint: buffett flies private, and zuck also has a 1.3M Pagani.

But yeah we're just like them!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Residency Evil posted:

No one in this thread is saying this

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Counterpoint: buffett flies private, and zuck also has a 1.3M Pagani.

if i just work harder, it'll be me

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I will say that the several hundreds of dollars of Legos that I had growing up have basically held their value if not gone up, but I still think having less stuff to lug around for 32 years would have been better.
We only ever had the big legos. Never had any of the like lego kits or nothin.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

KingSlime posted:

No one in this thread is saying this

No, but the implication is that these billionaires by being selectively thrifty are a great example of how you don't need a lot of stuff is a pile of poo poo; Warren Buffet owns Netjets, a subscription service for private jets, and it costs more for a single flight than his lifetime of McD's breakfasts paid for with loose change. Zuck's private security, including the follow cars (2 black SUVs) that his security uses so annoyed his neighbors in Palo Alto they passed a city ordinances banning them from idling at the curb outside his street - oh yeah, he doesn't just own a few houses there, he effectively privatized an entire street of houses - more than <x> minutes (in all fairness it wasn't just him; former Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer also had security that did this, and so on). gently caress him and his Acura.

Buffett isn't cleverly thrifty, he's a weirdo who's good with money and got very lucky, just like the rest of them. Don't venerate "good" billionaires; they all essentially won a special version of life's lottery and are otherwise just as nice/lovely/stupid/smart as everyone else.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Counterpoint: buffett flies private

I know one of his Netjet stewdaresses who often crews his personal flights. She calls him "Uncle Warren". Apparently he's a sweetheart and the staff loves him.

Ixian posted:

Warren Buffet owns Netjets, a subscription service for private jets, and it costs more for a single flight than his lifetime of McD's breakfasts paid for with loose change.

......which he started because he's trying to min/max one of his luxuries rather than just owning a private jet outright for himself (which he can clearly afford).

I'm not disagreeing with you that the frugality on breakfast sandwiches is quite odd in comparison to this, just that it appears this is his robot mindset about anything whether it's cost is measured in pennies or dump truck loads of $100 bills.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Warren Buffett flies private because he's 88 years old and it's a luxury he can afford (also it's probably a business expense and his time is valuable enough to warrant it). Zuck is an rear end in a top hat who happens to like Acuras. There's a difference.

Buffett is also donating almost all of his fortune to someone else's philanthropic organization. He could have created a Buffett foundation and lifted his legacy to that of Carnegie or Rockefeller (two names that don't fail spellcheck whereas Buffett does). But he didn't. I don't think he belongs in the same category as Zuckerberg (which also fails spellcheck).

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Motronic posted:

I know one of his Netjet stewdaresses who often crews his personal flights. She calls him "Uncle Warren". Apparently he's a sweetheart and the staff loves him.

......which he started because he's trying to min/max one of his luxuries rather than just owning a private jet outright for himself (which he can clearly afford).

I'm not disagreeing with you that the frugality on breakfast sandwiches is quite odd in comparison to this, just that it appears this is his robot mindset about anything whether it's cost is measured in pennies or dump truck loads of $100 bills.

Not trying to argue with you either...but it has less to do with min/max'ing his own luxuries and more to do with it being a good investment, like anything else he does. Netjet, in spite of being a capital intensive business, has brought him great returns. Personally, because in addition to Berkshire he invested billions of his own in to it. Which begs the point of what exactly thrifty breakfasts, self-driving to the office, and relatively inexpensive houses have to do with anything other than the *appearance* of seeming thrifty so he can wag his finger (or rather, let the media wag it for him) at everyone lower on the ladder.

Same with any other example, like Ballmer driving his dumb Ford Fusion around. He does it so he can show off how much he doesn't need to care. The interest payments alone on the dullest, safest investment portfolio he has would pay for a new Bentley every month. He makes a point of not doing that just to be a dick. This is a guy who owns a Gulfstream G650, a $60m+ jet. Which he flies around to Clippers games, the sports team he bought for $2b. His Ford Fusion has no relevance here.

Super-rich people can be and usually are just as BWM as dirt poor, the only difference being some people are so wealthy money literally has no relevance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ixian posted:

He does it so he can show off how much he doesn't need to care.

I think I get where we're missing each other. I'm seeing "robot money making mindset" and you're seeing "image projection".

I don't doubt there is a mix of this tilted one way or the other depending on who we're talking about specifically.