Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Sextro posted:

Has there ever been a Gundam (or other franchise?) super-invincible robot where it is defeated by hitting it hard enough the squishy human inside doesn't survive? That's IBO Season 3 I guess. They made the robots even tougher, so now the only way to disable them is with immobilization or hitting them hard/rapidly enough the pilots are pulped.

As mentioned, the three world nations in 00 combined forces and just rained bombs on all of the Gundams for literally like 12 hours straight. Lockon was getting delirious by being shell shocked for so long to the point where he couldn't even hit Graham's flag, who took out the Dynames by tackling it and knocking Lockon unconscious.

Kou and Io were also electrocuted before (although, in Io's case, the hatch was open and he was straight knocked unconscious by a quick shock, and in Kou's case, the Kou/GP01 were both completely incapacitated but his enemy hosed up by talking to someone else for too long).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
ZZ has a variant - the Queen Mansa is functionally invincible, so they get rid of it by Newtyping one pilot until she no longer wants to fight, and sniping the other one when he tries to disembark and escape. And yeah, pilots routinely die from trauma in IBO. Carta is one of the most prominent examples.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Gripweed posted:

How many different Astrays and Astray variants are there now?

I'm sure I missed some, but I counted Red, Blue, Green, Gold, Mirage, Out, and Delta frames. The number of variations averages to four frame, counting the base.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Darth Walrus posted:

ZZ has a variant - the Queen Mansa is functionally invincible, so they get rid of it by Newtyping one pilot until she no longer wants to fight, and sniping the other one when he tries to disembark and escape. And yeah, pilots routinely die from trauma in IBO. Carta is one of the most prominent examples.

Not to mention her guard who didn’t think to get inside his mech when Mika came out.

Then there’s Iok.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

How many different Astrays and Astray variants are there now?

The problem is more the sheer number of different versions by different authors. If you look on the image for Gold Frame Amaterasu under SeeD it says Series 11. What's weird is the Tokita manga versions are the only ones with recent reprints so half of them are unobtainable which feels weird. The Tokita versions are best though.

Though I have to be honest I used to not be into Astrays at all but they've really started to grow on me in an awkward way. I actually quite like the Amaterasu, at the very least it has more of a unified aesthetic than Amatsu Mina which was more overdesign piecemeal.

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm sure I missed some, but I counted Red, Blue, Green, Gold, Mirage, Out, and Delta frames. The number of variations averages to four frame, counting the base.

Averages to four per frame, in actuality mostly Red Frames. :v: You've got plain Red Frame, flight unit, M1, Turn Red, Red Dragon, Red Frame Kai, Powered Red, Red Red, Red Red ham and Red, eggs bacon red and red, red red red red and red…

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 29, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Kshatriya was put out of commission when Marida got a concussion from getting knocked around by Banagher.

And that came after she did the same thing to him.

Droyer posted:

The microwave thing from SeeD?

Nah that also exploded everything.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Sextro posted:

Has there ever been a Gundam (or other franchise?) super-invincible robot where it is defeated by hitting it hard enough the squishy human inside doesn't survive? That's IBO Season 3 I guess. They made the robots even tougher, so now the only way to disable them is with immobilization or hitting them hard/rapidly enough the pilots are pulped.

Devil Gundam.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm almost through Gundam Wing and I appreciate it for being silly as poo poo and finding humor in how serious the pilots try and take themselves. I'm a bigger fan of 08th MS team where things are pretty realistic as far as war goes despite really dumb romantic subplots. Which series should I start next?

If nothing catches my eye, I'll probably just re-watch G-Gundam since that was the old Toonami Trifecta

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I'm almost through Gundam Wing and I appreciate it for being silly as poo poo and finding humor in how serious the pilots try and take themselves. I'm a bigger fan of 08th MS team where things are pretty realistic as far as war goes despite really dumb romantic subplots. Which series should I start next?

If nothing catches my eye, I'll probably just re-watch G-Gundam since that was the old Toonami Trifecta

IBO might have the balance of grit and melodrama that scratches your itch. Alternatively, we've just had Christmas, so it's a good time for War in the Pocket.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

Roux was the one who sniped Glemy, right?

She and Elle were some of the best parts of ZZ.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

HitTheTargets posted:

Plus the mass production Astray and the Build Fighters variants

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

amigolupus posted:

She was, yes. Kind of ruined it by going 'I'll never forget you loved me' after he spent the entire series annoying and/or frightening her with his creepy stalker antics, though. Swap that out for a satisfied grin, and it would have been one of the best moments in ZZ.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I enjoyed that Roux would just start icing dudes every time she got in the ZZ. Too bad she wasn’t the main character and therefore got delegated to last years model.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Hey, last year's model was still desirable in some circumstances.

On Earth, Judau often took the Zeta instead because he didn't want to feel like he was driving a bus.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There's a gag in SRWX where the Captial Army from G-Reco rebuild the ZZ because 'look at the specs on this thing! it's gotta be some kind of monster superweapon!'

And then the first time they actually put a pilot in it he can't steer the machine for nuts because it's the hunk of cobbled together bullshit that is the ZZ and Judau (fighting on the opposite side) has to yell out instructions just so the pilot doesn't crash and kill himself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the ZZ is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade to the Zeta. It sacrifices survivability, agility, and operation time for heinous firepower and not much else. Roux using the Zeta isn't a handicap - it's just more her sort of suit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

amigolupus posted:

Elle holding in check the entire Neo Zeon army in a Gundam Mark 2 on her own, offscreen.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If you think of the ZZ as a Full Armor Zeta, then it's own upgrade would be the Full Armor Full Armor Zeta. Which is up there with Crossbone X-1Kai Kai as names go.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Pureauthor posted:

There's a gag in SRWX where the Captial Army from G-Reco rebuild the ZZ because 'look at the specs on this thing! it's gotta be some kind of monster superweapon!'

And then the first time they actually put a pilot in it he can't steer the machine for nuts because it's the hunk of cobbled together bullshit that is the ZZ and Judau (fighting on the opposite side) has to yell out instructions just so the pilot doesn't crash and kill himself.

This is amazing. Thank you for mentioning this. :allears:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Elle holding in check the entire Neo Zeon army in a Gundam Mark 2 on her own, offscreen.

I call bullshit that Elle doesn't have incredible stats and Newtype LV9 in SRW games. She's the ZZ crew's secret ace for pulling that off.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Even more so considering it's just the basic MK II and not the Super Gundam

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

amigolupus posted:

I call bullshit that Elle doesn't have incredible stats and Newtype LV9 in SRW games. She's the ZZ crew's secret ace for pulling that off.

Yeah, Roux and especially Elle should have way higher stats.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

amigolupus posted:

This is amazing. Thank you for mentioning this. :allears:

gundam jobbers explode at the slightest touch though

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

gundam jobbers explode at the slightest touch though

Depends on the series and how far in it is.

IBO jobbers take a pretty reasonable amount of punishment even late on. Meanwhile, Wing jobbers explode when you look at them. It's pretty variable.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've never watched any Gundams before and I got the 00 series for Xmas. I like it, and I am almost through the first season. Are any of the others like this, premise-wise?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I've never watched any Gundams before and I got the 00 series for Xmas. I like it, and I am almost through the first season. Are any of the others like this, premise-wise?

The closest in premise to 00 is Gundam Wing though the similarities there are largely "a small team of pretty boys in super-overpowered robots" more than anything. Gundam 00 does however have a lot of things in common with other Gundam series so it depends on what parts of the premise appealed to you.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I enjoy the idea of a group of assholes doing good for the world despite everyone hating them

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I enjoy the idea of a group of assholes doing good for the world despite everyone hating them

IBO should be right up your street, then. Tekkadan are basically the ultra-grungy budget version of Celestial Being without a near-omniscient supercomputer to get them out of trouble.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

That is Wing and it also has the world's most hilarious execution in the seventh episode, so worth checking out!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

IBO should be right up your street, then. Tekkadan are basically the ultra-grungy budget version of Celestial Being without a near-omniscient supercomputer to get them out of trouble.

Also, instead of going out wanting to change the world, they more happen to break the systems maintaining society on accident in their attempts to make money and finish the job they were hired for.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, instead of going out wanting to change the world, they more happen to break the systems maintaining society on accident in their attempts to make money and finish the job they were hired for.

And then in S2, they do try to change the world, and it... uhh... well, it gets changed, all right.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The IBO kids just want to better their own life circumstances, it just so happens like 2-3 distinct political powers like to assert their legitimacy by grinding people like them into the loving dirt

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

The IBO kids just want to better their own life circumstances, it just so happens like 2-3 distinct political powers like to assert their legitimacy by grinding people like them into the loving dirt

Also, most of their skillsets consist of variations on "Kill people, break poo poo."

Which, you know. Gives a specific flavor to most of the options available.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, most of their skillsets consist of variations on "Kill people, break poo poo."

Also no beam weapons, so that have to kill people and break poo poo by hand.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

All they had were hammers, everything in their way was very thoroughly nailed :gibs:.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Solkanar512 posted:

Then there’s Iok.

Worth watching for that moment, goddamn that was satisfying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HukHukHuk posted:

Worth watching for that moment, goddamn that was satisfying.

His was easily one of the most satisfying villain deaths I've ever seen. Little fucker finally had nobody to stop his stupid rear end and he got the business end of The Big Scissors :stonklol:.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

His was easily one of the most satisfying villain deaths I've ever seen. Little fucker finally had nobody to stop his stupid rear end and he got the business end of The Big Scissors :stonklol:.

Colasour your way out of that one, motherfucker!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Good things happen if you live long enough.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
it owned that he ran right into satan's own giant pair of scissors :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I got busy with my Zeta TV rewatch and dropped IBO season 2 after a few episodes. Clearly I need to finish it because Iok sucks and I like a good, satisfying anime death.