Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the usual shills are completely confused about what line to run and it currently seems to be

- there's Good Kurds and Bad Kurds. unfortunately the Good Kurds (silent majority) are ruled by the Bad Kurds (stinky, communist, basically Assad shills) and that's why they're allying with the hitler baathists right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Willie Tomg posted:

i can't even imagine what its like to come into fresh in what's basically 2019.

Ok let's start from the top, I don't have zero background on this topic but my background is fuzzy and untrusthworthy because my politics have changed a lot since 2011, given that... I was in high school in 2011 lol.

So: Daesh, ISIS, does it matter what I call them? Is one or the other more appropriate?

Daesh/ISIS is an off-shoot of Al Qaeda, correct? They came to prominence in 2014 but existed well before, and there's some kind of internal ideological power struggle motivating them?

But, the Syrian civil war started separately from that, correct? It was part of the Arab Spring?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

hey does anyone have a copy of the intro to State of Myths?

not only was it goddamned hilarious, the full track was a banger. i think it got Memory Holed :smith:

is there an anime

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

Ok let's start from the top, I don't have zero background on this topic but my background is fuzzy and untrusthworthy because my politics have changed a lot since 2011, given that... I was in high school in 2011 lol.

So: Daesh, ISIS, does it matter what I call them? Is one or the other more appropriate?

Daesh/ISIS is an off-shoot of Al Qaeda, correct? They came to prominence in 2014 but existed well before, and there's some kind of internal ideological power struggle motivating them?

But, the Syrian civil war started separately from that, correct? It was part of the Arab Spring?

arabic doesn't have acronyms normally, but if you acronymize the pronounced parts of the anglicized arabic words (al-Dawlah al-Islamīyah fī l-ʻIrāq wa-sh-Shām) you get "DAESH" when "daesh" is a cuss word for someone who steps on things and causes a lot of trouble over bullshit. much like State of Myths, its a manifestation of how arabic humor is fuckin' savage and brilliant, where it counts. it also shows how fundamentally ISIS changed the culture down to its language, in the space of one year to the next. it introduced an entire grammatical convention to a language. that's how bad isis sucks.

it started with Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, and Al Qaeda in Iraq. I would strongly recommend you dig up a copy of PBS Frontline's series called "The Insurgency" (oh hey they reuploaded the ep!! cool!!! for reference this was made a few months before Zarqawi was killed.) because at the time it charted very precisely the transition of the Iraqi insurgency from "a group of generally pissed off unemployed ex-soldiers because Bush literally thought he was gonna declare victory and that'd be the end of it" to "sunni cells who took cash payments from Saudi suicide bombers."

quote:

L. PAUL BREMER, CPA Head:Ladies and gentlemen, we got him!

NARRATOR: There was a palpable sense of relief when he was caught.

MICHAEL WARE: And I was here in Iraq when that happened, and in fact, I was with the insurgency when it was announced, and it was fascinating to watch the reaction on this group of insurgents, most of whom were all nationalists, all ex-military and whatever.

INTERVIEWER: [subtitles] After the capture of President Saddam Hussein, will you continue your Jihad against the occupation?

INSURGENT: [through interpreter] In the name of God, the most beneficent and merciful, with the help of God's good grace, we will defeat his enemy. Our jihad will not stop. We will continue with the resistance.

NARRATOR: The Coalition authorities believed Saddam's capture would have a negative impact on the nationalists in the insurgency, but in reality, it continued to grow and evolve.

MICHAEL WARE: Around this time was when I really started to witness tangible changes within the insurgency in terms of the Ba'athists for the first time beginning to surrender certain power to the Islamists, particularly the imported foreign Islamists. And a lot of it had to do with money. By the beginning of 2004, Ba'athist cells I knew were out there doing shakedowns and extortions and whatever else to fund their ops. That was one of the things that gave the Islamists room to step into the breach, throwing around a lot of money. Zarqawi and his organizations have never been short of cash, always flush with cash.

quote:

NARRATOR: In late 2004, Zarqawi was in control of Tal Afar and, armed with its extensive financial resources, began flexing his muscles in Baghdad. This is Haifa Street, one of the city's main thoroughfares. Michael Ware frequently visited the area and knew the local Ba'athists well. In September 2004, he learned that Zarqawi's people were trying to take control of the insurgency there.

MICHAEL WARE: One of the Ba'athists came to me and said that the takeover is complete, basically. Zarqawi's people had become so bold as to actually line the main boulevard with their flags. This was Zarqawi's moment in many, many ways. So I needed to verify this and I wanted to record it.

NARRATOR: Michael Ware's determination to verify Zarqawi's takeover nearly cost him his life. Zarqawi's men spotted Ware. One stepped off the curb, pulling the pin from a grenade.

MICHAEL WARE: They had live grenades and they'd pulled the pins and they were holding them to me, and I thought that was it, that was over. I know what happens to foreigners once they're in the hands of Zarqawi's people. Some of the men there, by their accents, were clearly identifiable as Syrian, not Iraqi. I mean, I felt personally that I was� I was at the opening of a tunnel. But it was very senior Ba'athist commander, who comes from one of the main strains of the Ba'athist insurgency, who eventually said, "Do you really want to start this war between us over this?" It wasn't until the very end that through gritted teeth, after saying, "You bring a Westerner here, and you expect us to let him leave alive," that the Zarqawi people, gritting their teeth, said, "Fine. You can have him. Take him. Get out."

Zarqawi was a mad dog in Al Qaeda. generally speaking the thing about al qaeda is there's this dichotomy between "outer enemy" and "inner enemy". Al Qaeda proper thinks that they have to defeat the outer enemy--the USA, the US supported "occupiers" of mecca to wit the house of saud, and israel--in order for the Caliphate to be reestablished, and Zarqawi represented a new line of thinking that said that the Ummah (i.e. practicing muslims) need to be purged and militarized and the caliphate established in order to eliminate the outer enemy. not that they'd turn up the chance to kill some servicemembers in iraq! not at all! but the macro-level order of operations between Al Qaeda and AQI was inverted.

i'd really recommend you dig into what of osama bin laden's correspondence has been declassified, because i'll restate: he was overwhelmingly alarmed about this trend in al qaeda by the end of his life, and his inability to affect it from a villa in abbottabad.

anyway the good news is the US kills zarqawi in 2006. the bad news is by the time the US did this, al-askari shrine blew up, and iraq blew up into a full-on gang war between sunni cells glomming onto AQI for protection/support, and largely iranian supported shia cells murdering anyone with the wrong last name. while this is going on, a man born Ibrahim Awad Ibrahim al-Badri, and whom history will remember as Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi just gone done enhancedly interrogated in Abu Ghraib prison, and radicalizing his cellmates. he gets out, and rallies all these groups that Zarqawi forged the mold for into one singular Islamic State in Iraq. events percolate, ISI eventually gets massively owned by the iraqi government and driven out well into iraq's western desert/syria's eastern deserts. even the people who live in those countries make jokes about how nothing lives there but scorpions, and by all accounts ISI was driven into double-digit membership by 2010/2011.

and then the arab spring happened.

and assad started losing control.

and suddenly even his stock of BRDMs and surplus tanks start getting whittled through by NATO ATGMs.

so he abandons "scorpion territory" to its fate. and those little shitkicker remnants in the eastern deserts start taking small clusters of houses. and then small towns. and then larger ones. and eventually they coalesce around a little podunk 'burg called Raqqa, and then taking an internationalist view, they start pushing out through the Kurdish cantons and Iraqi provinces alike. and if Assad were a little less suborned to patronage systems established by his father or cut-rate suplus from the USSR, maybe the SAA could've resisted. if the IA forces were less of Maliki's personal cronies maybe they would have been better able to stand.

but they weren't. and did not. and so by the end of 2014 a few dozen dead-enders, over the course of half a decade, made a charge across open desert and beat a bunch of militias taking arms and money from other nations, and created a nation with arms factories, logistics, petroleum infrastructure and currency. may every loving supporter of it rest in piss and fire.

here's a really good article about the distinction between al qaeda and isis: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/10/how-isis-crippled-al-qaida

here's a really good quote from how isis is so bad, al qaeda buries the hatchet with nations it's nominally fighting with to negotiate because even al qaeda thinks isis is gross

quote:

There would be other exchanges between Maqdisi and Binali later that year, including a failed attempt to secure the release of the Isis hostage Peter Kassig. Their final communication came not long after Kassig’s execution, when Maqdisi once again found himself mediating with Isis. On 24 December 2014, a Jordanian military aircraft was shot down over Isis territory near the northern Syrian city of Raqqa, and its pilot taken hostage; Maqdisi heard the news when the prison imam dedicated a prayer to the man. Soon after, Maqdisi sounded out Jordanian officials about an idea, originally suggested by his friend Dr Munif Samara, to secure the return of the pilot. Although Jordanian officials were wary, believing that the pilot could have been killed already, they authorised the plan.

Communicating primarily via Telegram messenger, an app that allows for encrypted communications, Maqdisi sent word to Isis in January of this year that the Jordanians would be willing to conduct a prisoner swap: in return for the pilot, they would release a woman named Sajida al-Rishawi. In 2005, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi had sent al-Rishawi and her husband on a mission to Jordan, where they were to explode bomb belts at the Radisson SAS hotel as part of a coordinated series of suicide bombings. Rishawi’s device did not detonate, and she was arrested, languishing on death row for the next decade. In his approach to Isis, Maqdisi said, he reminded the group’s senior leaders that, as the inheritors of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi’s legacy, they had an obligation to save her now.

Although Maqdisi is not certain about who he was communicating with, he has no doubt that his messages were being relayed to the most senior members of Isis, including Baghdadi himself. The initial response was positive: Maqdisi says he was told that Isis were “eager” to make the trade. On social media, Isis supporters suddenly began calling for al-Rishawi’s release.

Before any deal could be brokered, the Jordanians instructed Maqdisi to obtain proof that the pilot was still alive. In response, the Isis negotiators sent Maqdisi an electronic file that they claimed would provide proof of life – but the file was password protected.

On 3 February, after a few days of tense dialogue, the negotiators finally sent Maqdisi the password to unlock the file. When he received it, Maqdisi realised he had been betrayed: the password, in Arabic, was “Maqdisi the pimp, the sole of the tyrant’s shoe, son of the English whore.”

After he typed it in, one humiliating character at a time, a video appeared on Maqdisi’s screen. He watched in horror as Isis soldiers muscled the pilot into a cage, doused him in petrol, and burned him alive. Three hours later, Isis posted the video on the internet. The next day, Sajida al-Rishawi was taken from her cell and executed.

This is another PBS Frontline ep called Gangs of Iraq which was made in 2007 and details the rot that took hold in the Iraqi army that drove so many Sunnis into ISI and later ISIS. https://www.pbs.org/video/frontline-gangs-iraq/

here's a really brutal exchange from it:

quote:

IRAQI SOLDIER: [subtitles] We found a live car bomb, a black BMW. Inform the friendly forces.

U.S. SOLDIER: [on the radio] Roger. The VBIED is a BMW up on blocks. Roger. IAs [Iraqi army] popped the trunk. There was two shaped charges wired in the trunk. Over. Negative. As soon as they saw it, they all ran back. Over. Roger

U.S. SOLDIER: Ask one of these guys if they'll take my knife and cut the wires to that [deleted] VBIED.

U.S. SOLDIER: Stay back. If that goes off, you don't want to be anywhere near here.

MARTIN SMITH: The Iraqi soldier appears neither trained nor equipped to defuse the device.

U.S. SOLDIER: He's not going to? OK, Shokran.

U.S. SOLDIER: No, he's not going to do it.

MARTIN SMITH: An American bomb squad has to be called in for the detonation.

By late morning, the soldiers find two dozen copper disks. The CIA believes such plates are supplied by Iran. They are used to make some of the most deadly weapons in Iraq, explosively formed penetrators or EFPs.

The Americans consider the operation a big success. But then FRONTLINE's cameraman catches some of the Iraqis having a discussion--

IRAQI SOLDIER: [subtitles] I know where it is.

MARTIN SMITH: -- about another cache of weapons.

IRAQI SOLDIER: [subtitles] It's not here. It's with the sheikh.

IRAQI SOLDIER: [subtitles] Who?

IRAQI SOLDIER: [subtitles] It's with the Sayid. It's with my mullah. I'm telling you there's nothing here. This is just kid stuff. The big stuff is not here.

IRAQI SOLDIER: [subtitles] Sir, the videocamera has a microphone.

MARTIN SMITH: We didn't translate the conversation until months later, but the Iraqis never shared with the Americans where the larger cache was.

To bring it all together: the SCW started separately, yes. but also it was affected by the iraq war in a way so unalterably organic that honestly i genuinely wish we'd stop talking about "SCW" and "Iraq ISIS whatever" and just call it "the Levantine War" and its been going from 2003-Present, because at this point, aaalllllllllllllllllllllllll the poo poo is connected. we're not dealing with discrete theaters anymore, its just a big swath of gently caress from libya to kashmir.

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 19:42 on Dec 29, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Willie Tomg posted:

To bring it all together: the SCW started separately, yes. but also it was affected by the iraq war in a way so unalterably organic that honestly i genuinely wish we'd stop talking about "SCW" and "Iraq ISIS whatever" and just call it "the Levantine War" and its been going from 2003-Present, because at this point, aaalllllllllllllllllllllllll the poo poo is connected. we're not dealing with discrete theaters anymore, its just a big swath of gently caress from libya to kashmir.

I read and parsed as much of this as I can right this moment and bookmarked your links but I'm going to go to bed now, thank you for responding to me! I will try to digest this post and respond some time tomorrow evening as I will be visiting family.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

i would offer only this guideline: this war makes a fuckin' mockery of End Of History ideology. if you feel gross and confused and uncomfortable that means your brain is working throughout. turkey is funding salafists, against the gulf which is also funding salafists. the IRGC and Russia allied in the trenches with baathists fighting for urbanist populists. SEALs are taking scalps and calling in airstrikes for kurdish communists. and it turned the Republicans into the loving anti-war faction of convenience in DC outside of the marginalized Bernie Dems. it has tested my anti-war principles to their absolute limits because emotionally i know the usa has a hundred tons of cold liquid to splash on the flames, but academically i know its actually gasoline IRL.

This reminds me of Angola, lots of good times with insanely confused fights (IIRC instances Cubans defending USA oil installations &c).

Willie Tomg posted:

if someone offers you The One Serious Opinion they're full of loving poo poo. theres a lot grim about the SCW, there's nothing at all serious about it. not anymore, not from a western observer's perspective, anyway.

The situation is desperate but not serious as the saying goes.

E: from Hersh regarding the Moderate Opposition & CIA's effort:

quote:

CIA efforts to train the moderate rebel forces were also failing badly. ‘The CIA’s training camp was in Jordan and was controlled by a Syrian tribal group,’ the JCS adviser said. There was a suspicion that some of those who signed up for training were actually Syrian army regulars minus their uniforms. This had happened before, at the height of the Iraqi war, when hundreds of Shia militia members showed up at American training camps for new uniforms, weapons and a few days of training, and then disappeared into the desert. A separate training programme, set up by the Pentagon in Turkey, fared no better. The Pentagon acknowledged in September that only ‘four or five’ of its recruits were still battling Islamic State; a few days later 70 of them defected to Jabhat al-Nusra immediately after crossing the border into Syria.

In January 2014, despairing at the lack of progress, John Brennan, the director of the CIA, summoned American and Sunni Arab intelligence chiefs from throughout the Middle East to a secret meeting in Washington, with the aim of persuading Saudi Arabia to stop supporting extremist fighters in Syria. ‘The Saudis told us they were happy to listen,’ the JCS adviser said, ‘so everyone sat around in Washington to hear Brennan tell them that they had to get on board with the so-called moderates. His message was that if everyone in the region stopped supporting al-Nusra and Isis their ammunition and weapons would dry up, and the moderates would win out.’ Brennan’s message was ignored by the Saudis, the adviser said, who ‘went back home and increased their efforts with the extremists and asked us for more technical support. And we say OK, and so it turns out that we end up reinforcing the extremists.’

Boatswain has issued a correction as of 07:36 on Dec 29, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Willie Tomg posts :vince:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Gwynne Dyer, who I usually consider quite good on global politics and war even when he's wrong, predicted that the Kurds would beat back ISIS given that they were one of the more organized and well equipped groups in Iraq and Syria back when ISIS first appeared on the radar of the western press. He figured they'd offer assistance and in return they'd get their Kurdistan. Except that it didn't quite work out that way and the Kurds got pushed back when they did finally get involve, demonstrating that even the most relatively thoughtful takes on the early war proved to be completely wrong.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Dreylad posted:

this is still probably the tweet of the year:

https://twitter.com/Syrian_SR/status/1054347137125883905

The curse of the Lion Assad is strong and real and it's my friend

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Dreylad posted:

Gwynne Dyer, who I usually consider quite good on global politics and war even when he's wrong, predicted that the Kurds would beat back ISIS given that they were one of the more organized and well equipped groups in Iraq and Syria back when ISIS first appeared on the radar of the western press. He figured they'd offer assistance and in return they'd get their Kurdistan. Except that it didn't quite work out that way and the Kurds got pushed back when they did finally get involve, demonstrating that even the most relatively thoughtful takes on the early war proved to be completely wrong.

everyones full of poo poo, some people are full of less poo poo than others

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Peshmerga are a god-tier martial race and anyone who says otherwise is a Turkish roach. /s

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Baloogan posted:

is there an anime

what is the lion Assad's opinion on anime

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

svenkatesh posted:

Peshmerga are a god-tier martial race and anyone who says otherwise is a Turkish roach. /s

True inheritors of Ilios, Aeneas can kiss my rear end.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

really queer Christmas posted:

what is the lion Assad's opinion on anime

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/3125876

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMKy0_RE9HM

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Willie Tomg posted:

hey does anyone have a copy of the intro to State of Myths?

not only was it goddamned hilarious, the full track was a banger. i think it got Memory Holed :smith:

this is amazingg

Super86
Apr 20, 2016
What do you guys think about what happened in the Lebanese-Israel border with Hezbollah and the tunnels?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Lol why would anyone ever predict that Kurds would finally get their Kurdistan in exchange for ANYTHING.
The only thing you can ever be certain about in the middle east is the Kurds will get thrown under the bus.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Super86 posted:

What do you guys think about what happened in the Lebanese-Israel border with Hezbollah and the tunnels?

What do you think!!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

reignonyourparade posted:

The only thing you can ever be certain about in the middle east is the Kurds will get thrown under the bus.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Neat thread with some history of Syria's Northeast.
https://twitter.com/ver_scholl_en/status/1079061157992902656

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Graham seems happy about something?

quote:

"After discussions with the President and (Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph) Dunford, I never felt better about where we are headed. I think we're slowing things down in a smart way," the South Carolina Republican said, adding later: "I think we're in a pause situation where we are reevaluating what's the best way to achieve the President's objective of having people pay more and do more."

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
probably means bolton is getting trump to walk back his calls for a pullout of syria, at least privately.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

except you can’t walk back the expectation that we’ll leave under the Trump administration now. maybe they can push back the timetable but the deed is done

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1079514527392247809

lol no more pull out

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

russia pulled a “mission accomplished” too, early on around 2016 i think, that surprised everyone and they’re still there.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"im sure lindsay graham isn't getting owned by donald trump this time" --lindsay graham

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Bastaman Vibration posted:

russia pulled a “mission accomplished” too, early on around 2016 i think, that surprised everyone and they’re still there.

I think the difference is that there's conflict within the US government, and even within the Trump administration over the withdrawal. The Russian non-withdrawal seemed just like a propaganda stunt that most of the government was on board with.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

"im sure lindsay graham isn't getting owned by donald trump this time" --lindsay graham

He wants to continue his losing streak ever since Trump owned him in the primary to the point of losing his home state.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the worst case scenario here is that we’re only slowing down withdrawals so we actually can coordinate a handover of “security duties” to Turkey.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the worst case scenario here is that we’re only slowing down withdrawals so we actually can coordinate a handover of “security duties” to Turkey.

Yeah this is what I'm worried about. Graham explicitly said he was trying to prevent kurd death but I have zero faith in the guy's intentions or his ability to not get bamboozled by Trump+Erdogan

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
e:wt

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Considering what's been happening in Iraq for the past few decades(or centuries if you want be pedantic), I'm surprised they aren't trying the Kagame method of reconciliation.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So we staying lol

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

paul_soccer10 posted:

So we staying lol

lmao

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
all the reports are "slowing down" withdrawal, which sounds like everyone convinced trump to give erdogan enough time

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

my guess is trump hears someone on tv say "and Senator Graham managed to convince the President to slow down withdrawal" and orders all troops out within 24 hours because hes not gonna be bossed around by some southern pansy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
someone should call trump a carpetbagger and see if they can get him to rant about the confederacy and how they were all losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Folks, the Confederates just didn't know a good deal when they saw one, ok? They could have given up and kept their slaves, but just didn't know when to quit.