Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Turns out there's not a single RPG on the planet with good combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

kirbysuperstar posted:

You could at least suggest a RPG with good combat.

Well, the original Etrian Odyssey sucks, but the later ones get pretty good.

Basically my rule of thumb is that random battles should be able to kill you, otherwise they are 100% wasting your time.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

Turns out there's not a single RPG on the planet with good combat.

Just the one, actually.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ugh I've managed to hit 50 hours in this game in a week despite also being gone for Christmas

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Just the one, actually.

D&D 4th Edition also an RPG with good combat.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

D&D 4th Edition also an RPG with good combat.

Let's not go too crazy now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Let's not go too crazy now.

After it's the 3rd D&D edition that expected you to use minis and grids for combat but the first to decide to actually use them to do fun things instead of just waiting around for the wizard to stop a fight from happening with a bad DM will save roll.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

After it's the 3rd D&D edition that expected you to use minis and grids for combat but the first to decide to actually use them to do fun things instead of just waiting around for the wizard to stop a fight from happening with a bad DM will save roll.

4th ed is the best combat D&D has ever had but it has problems with hp sponge enemies and too many random modifiers to keep track of and turns kinda take awhile once everyone passes level 6. I still run it though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

4th ed is the best combat D&D has ever had but it has problems with hp sponge enemies and too many random modifiers to keep track of and turns kinda take awhile once everyone passes level 6. I still run it though.

the fixed math in MM3 really helped the HP sponge stuff but yeah. Honestly they should have just made a game engine for it because it would the absolute best and instead they did nothing for it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

x-2's battle system seemed pretty cool but I checked out at the "massage the villain lady" minigame

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Just the one, actually.

:hmmyes: i'll allow it

there's even a parallel here about skill caps and to what extent you bother to control the top screen

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

x-2's battle system seemed pretty cool but I checked out at the "massage the villain lady" minigame

X-2 needed some way to better time attacks, because you could interrupt enemy attacks with good timing but to do it regularly you had to use like gunner time to stall for the big hit to come in and bop them.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

World War Mammories posted:

THE INTERNATIONALE UNITES THE HUMAN RACE

:hmmyes:

lmao I kept thinking it sounded familiar to something and it totally is The Internationale that's great, I'm only messing around in Rhagl'r's Reach and surrounding areas so far I haven't even hit a dungeon yet. So hyped though, that HW story was great then you go to Dragonsong which was incredible all up to where I am now. I love revolution/liberation stuff so it's right up my ally. So far highlight has definitely been the lead up/post final steps of faith stuff the flash of Haurchefant and Y'Sayle combined with the music made me feel a lot more emotional that I thought possible in an MMO but really I've enjoyed most of the story here outside of a few ARR and post ARR miserable filler quests.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Lyse and Fordola actively made Stormblood worse than if their characters hadn't existed.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

It's true of almost every single video game ever basically. Yeah you can beat Devil may cry by spamming stinger over and over and all the feedback you get is just a style meter so you won't care about unless you're weird about it!

It's the dumbest loving argument in the world. "God this game has a skill ceiling and is an active slog if you're not engaging with the mechanics but you technically can beat it by not so why even care." i dunno some of us find it fun to play video games and try to be good at it.

Yeah you can learn your rotation and try and do better DPS but you can beat every story dungeon just casting blizzard and fire so why bother?

EDIT: I really can't say enough to how dumb a stance that is. "God this game is a slog and is wasting my time and I hate playing it. I better not engage with the mechanics to make sure it takes the absolute longest time to get through to really maximize how little I care."

What's the difference in items you get from different star ratings in battle? I heard someone claim that 1-star gives the best stuff, but IIRC it's because those items help you avoid battle and make the game shorter (he didn't like it).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Solitair posted:

What's the difference in items you get from different star ratings in battle? I heard someone claim that 1-star gives the best stuff, but IIRC it's because those items help you avoid battle and make the game shorter (he didn't like it).

I believe you get more drops/better drop rate for more stars. i don't think getting lowers stars nets you anything special.

OH and you get more TP regen for more stars letting you use the big fancy stuff or summons or just libra for faster fights more often.

Basically the only thing being slow and not engaging with the game as designed gets you is less things and a much more boring experience where you don't know what to do or care enough to do better.

Which is not surprising. Actively choosing not to engage with the premise kind of kills all media almost instantly.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 29, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

It's not though. You absolutely can't beat Devil May Cry without learning how to press buttons. I tried and failed and learned the system and it was fun to learn it. Final Fantasy 13 wasn't the same way. Good games ask more of the player as the game goes on to make sure you are engaging with the battle system. That's a difficulty thing and it's appreciated. You can't beat solo content in this game just pressing 1 over and over again either. You don't have to be great but you do have to try. You never have to try in Final Fantasy 13. Oh no I got 1 star in the fight that I beat. What the gently caress am I gonna do? Reset to try again? Nah, I'm just gonna keep slogging through this inane story and hoping the game asks me to try. Boss after boss, 5 star, 3 star, 1 star, it never matters.

I mean I'm glad you like Final Fantasy 13's boring rear end gameplay, but the implication that it's one of 4 good Final Fantasy games is insane.

You're wrong on pretty much all of this. it's absolutely trivial (just BORING AS gently caress) to beat DMC spamming just Ebony and Ivory and maybe stinger sometimes. Likewise FF13 being beatable without learning the system is disproven by people frequently and constantly hitting roadblocks because they refuse to engage with mechanics. Like it was such a common complaint the re-release put in an Easy mode because people complained the game was too hard.

(Likewise I doubt you got very far in FF13 without ever switching paradigms which is the core of the combat system.)

Solitair posted:

High star ratings give you better drops, lower star ratings give you handicap items.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 29, 2018

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

(Likewise I doubt you got very far in FF13 without ever switching paradigms which is the core of the combat system.)

Holy poo poo I completely missed that part. Yeah no like the third boss fight past getting the shifts would just eventually beat you in a war of attrition if you never swapped out of the default paradigm. Holy poo poo SonicRulez you're a fuckin liar.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well that tears it, boys. Take him to the Witchdrop.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My trophy list says I got through Chapter 10. I never said I didn't learn to switch paradigms. My gripe was more that I didn't find it to be an interesting system and I could get by on the presets instead of having to experiment or engage actively. It was rare that I lost and even more rare that my loss necessitated a change in strategy. I never got to be incredible at Devil May Cry 3 or Dmc, but my attempts to Stinger my way through the game didn't go well. When I lost I had to think about why I lost and it was fun to better understand my weapons and choices. I'm not trying to be rude, but it's blatantly stupid to tell me about my own experience with the game. You can't disprove what happened. You can only disagree. Which is fine, clearly I have a minority opinion on FFXIII as far as this thread goes. I found it to be a boring slog.

And The World Ends With You is an incredible RPG, but I wouldn't list its gameplay as a reason why.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

And The World Ends With You is an incredible RPG, but I wouldn't list its gameplay as a reason why.
I would. It's like the one game that actually uses both screens on the DS to good effect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

My trophy list says I got through Chapter 10. I never said I didn't learn to switch paradigms. My gripe was more that I didn't find it to be an interesting system and I could get by on the presets instead of having to experiment or engage actively. It was rare that I lost and even more rare that my loss necessitated a change in strategy. I never got to be incredible at Devil May Cry 3 or Dmc, but my attempts to Stinger my way through the game didn't go well. When I lost I had to think about why I lost and it was fun to better understand my weapons and choices. I'm not trying to be rude, but it's blatantly stupid to tell me about my own experience with the game. You can't disprove what happened. You can only disagree. Which is fine, clearly I have a minority opinion on FFXIII as far as this thread goes. I found it to be a boring slog.

The issue isn't that you disliked it, it is that you went full hyperbole. You've shifted from "I never had to do anything but auto-attack and never struggled at all" to "okay, I used paradigms and sometime I died and sometimes I ever had to change my strategies." There's a pretty significant difference there and where the barrier happened. Also TBH (and this isn't a point in FFXIII's favor so don't take it that way) you didn't get to a large chunk of the game's high-end content if you stopped at chapter 10. "You have to wait until high-end content to really engage with the combat system" is also a legitimate flaw but also true of literally every single Final Fantasy game. Even in 14 you're basically able to finish the entire story without learning your class.

As far as the DMC thing, I say that because I know someone who did it. They told me they found DMC a boring slog and when I talked to them I found out they only used guns "because why wouldn't I, they're guns instead of swords." When they lost they didn't change their weapon loadout because they didn't find it engaging. Ironically the next DMC they played was DMC4 and they liked that one better because Nero's charge shot was broken as hell so they could use the same tedious strategy but it was more effective!

(Also I would actually praise TWEWY's mechanics and a lot of what it does is still I wish other games would do so I'd disagree there.)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i wrangled a group of goons together to learn shinryu ex, doggo dropped on first clear :supaburn:

i got it :smug:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mymla posted:

I would. It's like the one game that actually uses both screens on the DS to good effect.

Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The issue is that I was hyperbolic? I mean yeah, I started with referring to it as the worst take in the game. It's just bantz. My point that I found the game boring and slow and I wished it let me off the leash before Chapter 10 is just as you said, valid. I just disagree that every Final Fantasy has that issue. It's fun to experiment with job combinations in FFV as soon as you get through the Wind Crystal. I personally had fun with the junction system, but I'll admit that's a little broke brain. I'm not lamenting the game having a slow beginning. But Chapter 10 is way too late for my taste.

I found some of the bottom screen commands to lack some precision. I imagine it's better on the Switch. Like quick flick versus hold and swipe or pins that required lots of tapping. I should clarify that I just meant combat. The other gameplay choices TWEWY makes like the fashion and stat foods and stuff are cool.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I seriously believe that FF13 was Square going "Okay we're sick of making ridiculously easy games, let's make a game that's literally a tutorial for how to play an RPG." Under that thought, I respect the game a lot even if it did largely fall on deaf ears.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
FF13 was hot garbage, especially following the greatness that was 12.

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O
Hey guys, returning player here. I fmy highest character is level 51 and I'm not interested in the new classes is it even worth getting the latest expansion until I'm level 60?

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
As long as we're doing hot takes, 12 had the most boring and awful combat system, along with being my least liked Final Fantasy of all in general. Especially with how hard it cribbed from 11's worst aspects at times.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, Fashion Report this week is super easy 100, so go do it.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i wonder what percentage of players have, like me, played no final fantasy games besides this one

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Probably a good deal of people I assume, considering FFXIV is one of the most popular MMOs aside from WoW. I imagine they've heard of Final Fantasy and know some stuff from the series, or maybe not, but I've seen people in NN say it was their first FF game and asking if they needed to know anything from other titles.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

XIV was my first, but it's made me go back and try out the rest. Only ones I've actually taken a shine to so far are V and XII though.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Twyst posted:

Hey guys, returning player here. I fmy highest character is level 51 and I'm not interested in the new classes is it even worth getting the latest expansion until I'm level 60?

Nope.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

i wonder what percentage of players have, like me, played no final fantasy games besides this one

I played the demo for VIII on PC before XIV

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Eyes on Me > Answers

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rastan Beeza posted:

As long as we're doing hot takes, 12 had the most boring and awful combat system, along with being my least liked Final Fantasy of all in general. Especially with how hard it cribbed from 11's worst aspects at times.

Also, if you haven't done it yet, Fashion Report this week is super easy 100, so go do it.

If a slot on the easy 100 points just lists a dye type and no item, or has nothing listed, do I just wear anything in that slot, or nothing in that slot?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Captain Cappy posted:

Eyes on Me > Answers

Melodies of Life > Eyes on Me

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Melodies of Life > Eyes on Me

Don't make me loving fight you.

Eyes on Me is great because not only is it just a good song, but it is integral to the plot of the game.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Rastan Beeza posted:

Same.

People wanna complain about the game playing itself, lol gambits.

I’m also not a fan of the garbage combat system they ripped from the .hack games. At least there it had the point of having to mimic mmo combat, but there’s zero reason to do it outside of that. Main reason I never bothered with xenoblade 2.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, FF12 is basically at the bottom of my list even under the very clearly broken FF2 and unforgiving punishment that is FF3. I couldn't connect to its plot, gameplay, or characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Just pretend I quoted Locus over and over again.