Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

someone lay this over BTC price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

someone lay this over BTC price

The correlation is pretty spot on

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

happy page 1080

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
thinking of getting a 2070 at work for them sweet sweet cuda cores should i wait for nvidia to implode before i waste federal grant money on one?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rex-Goliath posted:

happy page 1080

Lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Food Boner posted:

thinking of getting a 2070 at work for them sweet sweet cuda cores should i wait for nvidia to implode before i waste federal grant money on one?

theyre not gonna bring the prices down ever

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so the house had tried to freeze the cost of living increase or w/e (0), the senate went with like 1.9%, and now the executive is going with that 0 number, is how it sounds. when democrats take over they'll probably include something like the senate's number so trump can veto it again and the world will keep turning

last time it got frozen was 2011-2013 or something, i think it was one of those things where obama believed the lie that conservatism was an idea-based philosophy that could be compromised with

getting promoted or getting the regular mostly-tenure-based step increases are still possible ways of getting increased pay, it's not a complete freeze

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

oystertoadfish posted:

so the house had tried to freeze the cost of living increase or w/e (0), the senate went with like 1.9%, and now the executive is going with that 0 number, is how it sounds. when democrats take over they'll probably include something like the senate's number so trump can veto it again and the world will keep turning

last time it got frozen was 2011-2013 or something, i think it was one of those things where obama believed the lie that conservatism was an idea-based philosophy that could be compromised with

getting promoted or getting the regular mostly-tenure-based step increases are still possible ways of getting increased pay, it's not a complete freeze

Surprised they can get step increases. Trump caters to the bottomless spite of lovely olds, and nothing makes those scum happier than kicking federal workers (unless it's kicking black people).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

oystertoadfish posted:

lmao how people work for the government despite the whole shutdown silliness.

Especially how most american families are living paycheck to paycheck and really don't savings to handle not getting paid for a few weeks.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

lmao how people work for the government despite the whole shutdown silliness.

Especially how most american families are living paycheck to paycheck and really don't savings to handle not getting paid for a few weeks.

That's the point, they want the good, dedicated, and talented people to get frustrated and quit.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

after two years of republican control they didnt change much about federal employment (there's been some executive orders you can look up but nothing like revamping the pay system), i think they might not know how to accomplish their goals or something

i have no idea but i think that kinda thing has to happen through congress, otherwise he probably would've done it already

also worth remembering 75% of the government isn't shut down this time. aside from essentialism a lot of the dozen or so appropriations bills got signed before the shutdown drama

still sucks for the couple hundred thousand people who get to be pawns in this game

also since this is the retirement thread, i'm curious, is a federal retirement still pretty secure? it seems like being employed by the people who print money helps secure the retirement accounts compared to working for a state eg california

when this administration is over i might have more to say about my perspective, but as far as i can tell they've been remarkably less successful at loving things up than the reagan or bushx2 administrations. we'll see how things unfold

edit: as one example of how the federal government is still kinda working as an organization, the system set up to monitor local market rates for different specialties and up the federal salary when necessary is still functioning as it's supposed to afaik, new poo poo shows up on the site and all

https://apps.opm.gov/SpecialRates/2019/AllSRTables.aspx

the air force is having trouble hiring firefighters in san luis obispo? up the salary by 6K. federal prison nurses in rochester MN get what looks like five-figure pay increases over the general pay schedule. soil scientists in berkshire MA get 8K more. the list goes on, and on, and on

if they really wanted to starve the government of its needed employees they probably would've done more to this program, and it's still finding ways to increase government salaries. that's the closest thing to a point here

loving with the supplements that sorta-kinda keep track with cost of living is mean, but it's nothing new. also i guess a lot of other workers out there would love to have those supplements ever

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 29, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

theyre not gonna bring the prices down ever

yeah basically. they've learned nerds will pay exorbitant prices for htem and buttcoin miners will as well.

I hope ATI does light more fires under nvidia by coming out with cards that just blow them away with huge price/performance differences but it's more likely they'll just also price htem hihgly because nvidia is and amd is stupid as poo poo and wonder why no one is buying their stuuff still

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

oystertoadfish posted:

also since this is the retirement thread, i'm curious, is a federal retirement still pretty secure? it seems like being employed by the people who print money helps secure the retirement accounts compared to working for a state eg california

lol california state employees get a lifetime pension that's not going anywhere no matter how much republicans bitch about debt

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol california state employees get a lifetime pension that's not going anywhere no matter how much republicans bitch about debt

ok i thought i remembered calPERS was forcing people to retire early and poo poo but im glad the actual value is safe. i guess that's a contract law thing, but if they're still promising good pensions that's good

local government is the layer where pensions are the most fucky i guess

i'd be interested in seeing a comparison of the california and federal retirement benefits, that might be worth knowing

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

I already made this joke ITT just a couple of days ago get with the times gawwwd

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oystertoadfish posted:

ok i thought i remembered calPERS was forcing people to retire early and poo poo but im glad the actual value is safe. i guess that's a contract law thing, but if they're still promising good pensions that's good

local government is the layer where pensions are the most fucky i guess

i'd be interested in seeing a comparison of the california and federal retirement benefits, that might be worth knowing

iirc california has been in a budget surplus for a few years now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
for awhile there the state wasn't giving raises and it drove a buncha people to the private sector but that ended a few years ago and from what i've seen they increased pay like crazy to catch up so a buncha olds have been going back to complete their time to get that pension

california also has excellent disability retirement as well as regular disability, and includes actual factual paid maternity & paternity leave

hell i'm planning on switching into public because it already pays better than the private sector of my industry even if you ignore the retirement benefits and all the holiday time

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
basically private sector jobs are a scam

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

several contractors i know have gone over to the public side (fed and state), and lord knows i would never put up with that contractor bullshit. haven't talked to them about their pay or retirement plans but they must've seen something they liked

the main movement the other way i can think of is executives retiring and basically becoming lobbyists for 3x their gov't salaries. but that's kind of a specific thing

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

several contractors i know have gone over to the public side (fed and state), and lord knows i would never put up with that contractor bullshit. haven't talked to them about their pay or retirement plans but they must've seen something they liked

the main movement the other way i can think of is executives retiring and basically becoming lobbyists for 3x their gov't salaries. but that's kind of a specific thing

The other main movement I see is company's hiring people on the regulatory side of things to handle their paperwork's. poaching someone who literally used to process their permits for a living means they never have to worry about getting in poo poo for loving up the paperwork for that state.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

jobs are a scam

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

private sector is a scam lol, I'm never leaving the public sector

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
It's me, the public contractor that is always kept at exactly 37.5 hours and has to hope I basically never get sick more than twice a season. It's all I could get lmao

I don't necessarily know yet if I'm getting affected by this but we were just told they'd keep us posted.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
imagine if every job was public sector

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

private sector is a scam lol, I'm never leaving the public sector

:same:

I wanted to cry the first time I got into the public sector, just at how well I was treated compared to every job I'd ever had.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Flavius Aetass posted:

I wanted to cry the first time I got into the public sector, just at how well I was treated compared to every job I'd ever had.

I went from restaurant management to retail pharmacy to....white collar tech job with comparable pay to private sector that was over twice what I was making previously and 30 days off, paid, that I'm encouraged to take lmao

it's crazy to come across people for whom like every job they've ever had has been this cushy who just cannot fathom that hard work is actually inversely proportional to good pay out in the real world

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

I went from restaurant management to retail pharmacy to....white collar tech job with comparable pay to private sector that was over twice what I was making previously and 30 days off, paid, that I'm encouraged to take lmao

it's crazy to come across people for whom like every job they've ever had has been this cushy who just cannot fathom that hard work is actually inversely proportional to good pay out in the real world

what does "comparable pay to private sector" mean in white collar tech land

cuz i knew private sector peeps gettin paid 60k and i knew private sector peeps gettin paid 600k and more

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what does "comparable pay to private sector" mean in white collar tech land

cuz i knew private sector peeps gettin paid 60k and i knew private sector peeps gettin paid 600k and more

I just kind of take it by skillset...a private sector job doing what I do would probably pay a good deal less than what I'm getting, but I also manage a small team so maybe it wouldn't?

I don't know, capitalists have hosed up priorities

private sector is only good if you have one of a very small pool of valuable skills or if you're the idiot failson of some rich guy who himself inherited the money

also you always have the sword of damocles hanging over your head in the private sector, you're loving gone the moment they can replace you with somebody cheaper

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zeroisanumber posted:

That's the point, they want the good, dedicated, and talented people to get frustrated and quit.

Not likely to happen until there's a shutdown that involves multiple missed paychecks and/or the dumb motherfuckers decide to not pay the people that got furloughed. That second one would cause a mass exodus from federal jobs.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Epic High Five posted:

capitalists have hosed up priorities
pikachu_shocked_face.png

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Huragok posted:

imagine if every job was public sector

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've had a couple conversations with people that were "wow EHF, your team is basically universally esteemed and extremely competent despite being primarily younger part time hourlies, what's your secret?"

"uhhh, I compensate them well and provide as secure an environment as I can, give them autonomy free of micromanaging, and stick up for them for pay increases and ensuring we have sufficient staff that they aren't asked to do two peoples work for the pay of 1. Do that and it turns out people will be really loyal to you and go out of their way to ensure you succeed"

"Oh well that's not something we can do, it'd cost too much and they'd just slack off if I took my eye off them"

like buddy, who cares if they slack off as long as the poo poo you hired them to do gets done? why remove that as an incentive?

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Flavius Aetass posted:

can't loving wait to finish my degree and have a lovely but still public job

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Epic High Five posted:

I've had a couple conversations with people that were "wow EHF, your team is basically universally esteemed and extremely competent despite being primarily younger part time hourlies, what's your secret?"

"uhhh, I compensate them well and provide as secure an environment as I can, give them autonomy free of micromanaging, and stick up for them for pay increases and ensuring we have sufficient staff that they aren't asked to do two peoples work for the pay of 1. Do that and it turns out people will be really loyal to you and go out of their way to ensure you succeed"

"Oh well that's not something we can do, it'd cost too much and they'd just slack off if I took my eye off them"

like buddy, who cares if they slack off as long as the poo poo you hired them to do gets done? why remove that as an incentive?

"buddy" is an abuser

sorry to help

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

every fuxking day I roll in to a job that should not exist but does anyway due to the military industrial cumplex. im late as hell and ready to uphold share z0ne thought. i get in arguments with everybody about policy and law poo poo and so my boss thinks im trying to do work. i talk about workers rights and what salary exempt means to my co-workers and get in trouble for making fun of the marines all the drat time. i take a ream of printer paper and go home around lunch time.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Poniard posted:

every fuxking day I roll in to a job that should not exist but does anyway due to the military industrial cumplex. im late as hell and ready to uphold share z0ne thought. i get in arguments with everybody about policy and law poo poo and so my boss thinks im trying to do work. i talk about workers rights and what salary exempt means to my co-workers and get in trouble for making fun of the marines all the drat time. i take a ream of printer paper and go home around lunch time.

drat that's cool as hell

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

one thing I'd be interested in understanding is how, if capitalism punishes failure and rewards successes, why is it that only like 3 movies a year ever turn a profit

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

one thing I'd be interested in understanding is how, if capitalism punishes failure and rewards successes, why is it that only like 3 movies a year ever turn a profit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcOTiTVuizU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Poniard posted:

Jon Joe posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A BOOK ONTO THE DESK. ITS DAS KAPITAL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, MARX. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME CAPITALIST BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS ECONOMIC SYSTEM. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY BOARD ROOM AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN BOARD ROOMS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND THE WORKING CLASS LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNing