Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Also interesting is that Scytal was a facedancer when talking with Maud'dib, but a master when talking with Odrade. One might say he was 'promoted', but then why would a lowly facedancer be put in charge of the attempt on Maud'dib? I think that this indicates an evolution of the dancer/master separation, that sort of goes parallel to their belief on the tyrant, possibly.

Speaking of, I've used the Tlielax cant in discussions concerning theology. "That which you cannot control, surely is God's will"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
It's funny how the BG and the BT mirror each other. When discussing the origin of Honored Matres, they talk about how they were a repressed class that revolted, and how the repressed can make terrible masters because they can seek vengeance on the former oppressors which leads to wider oscillations as the pattern repeats.

Meanwhile, this is very similar to what happens with the BT the facedancers. They made an underclass that they kept pressing until they revolted in the scattering

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
In universe most do not know how the bene gesserit work, other memory is a secret Iirc and how the become reverend mothers is deffo a secret or at least not known widely; also their powers beyond stuff like truthsaying are not particularly known

They want the kwisatz haderach because apparently only a dude can access male other memory and reverend mothers are already secret super beings basically so a male with those powers would be unstoppable so critically they want that person to be under the thumb of a bene gesserit service for their ends of controlling politics

Unfortunately when you got a mentat duke reverend mother triple combo it didn't work out for them. Leto Ii basically mocks them for thinking they could control someone like him and I think on the later non kja sequels it's mentioned they kill any male whose power gets too close to that of Paul or leto to avoid another repeat

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

It sounded right but I'm glad you had the text on hand.

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Also interesting is that Scytal was a facedancer when talking with Maud'dib, but a master when talking with Odrade. One might say he was 'promoted', but then why would a lowly facedancer be put in charge of the attempt on Maud'dib? I think that this indicates an evolution of the dancer/master separation, that sort of goes parallel to their belief on the tyrant, possibly.

Speaking of, I've used the Tlielax cant in discussions concerning theology. "That which you cannot control, surely is God's will"

Similar to the Fremen "When God wants someone to die, he causes them to go to the place they will die."

As for Scytale, I think it was a promotion, yes. In the Encyclopedia it mentions that his background was espionage and performing with fellow thespians was his cover. So he was part of the lower class in their society. However, when he dies he is exultant that "his" plan worked and now the BT can recover their lost lives. His reanimation must have been the incentive and reward for his taking on such a dangerous task. No such luck for their fellow conspirators, like Bijaz, who himself laments that he is just a tool for his masters to use (also, he failed in his job since Idaho was supposed to have killed Paul or been killed himself).

Malcolm XML posted:

Unfortunately when you got a mentat duke reverend mother triple combo it didn't work out for them. Leto Ii basically mocks them for thinking they could control someone like him and I think on the later non kja sequels it's mentioned they kill any male whose power gets too close to that of Paul or leto to avoid another repeat

I kinda figured at that point their breeders would be on to something else. After all, the Kwisatz Haderach was a particular solution to a distinct problem (or set of problems). It seemed like a one time thing, although it taught everyone a lot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

phasmid posted:

I kinda figured at that point their breeders would be on to something else. After all, the Kwisatz Haderach was a particular solution to a distinct problem (or set of problems). It seemed like a one time thing, although it taught everyone a lot.
Miles Teg is like a Super Saiyan or something so I assume they were doing some general improvement.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost
I finished "Dune Messiah" yesterday and I liked it in a way, but I feel like the last 25-30% of the book wasn't holding my interest as much, other than just being invested enough to want to see how it specifically played out. From what I read, the general consensus is if you like "Dune" then you should read "Dune Messiah," then continue on if you liked *that*. After the end of Dune Messiah, I feel like it's going to just keep going on and on like that forever. Is it worth continuing on if I'm kind of iffy on Dune Messiah? Is Children of Dune worth the read?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Children Of Dune picks up a few years later, and is more of Messiah but a bit more sloppy and kinda dumb.

It's also what the fourth book uses to justify itself... it would be kind of confusing for you to go from 2 to 4 without reading like, a wiki, but that's where the style changes radically.

for what it's worth, i read the dune series back before ebooks were even remotely useful things and my father was missing children of dune, so i skipped it since he thought it wouldn't really matter. He wasn't wrong. he basically explained leto's story in children of dune to me and i was prepped enough to read the best dune book that's not called dune

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

basic hitler posted:

Children Of Dune picks up a few years later, and is more of Messiah but a bit more sloppy and kinda dumb.

It's also what the fourth book uses to justify itself... it would be kind of confusing for you to go from 2 to 4 without reading like, a wiki, but that's where the style changes radically.

for what it's worth, i read the dune series back before ebooks were even remotely useful things and my father was missing children of dune, so i skipped it since he thought it wouldn't really matter. He wasn't wrong. he basically explained leto's story in children of dune to me and i was prepped enough to read the best dune book that's not called dune

I started watching the "Children of Dune" series but only got about 30 minutes into it. I didn't like how Paul was always smiling and joking, as it seemed completely different than how I pictured his demeanor from the books. Is the show worth finishing as a primer if I was to start God Emperor, or should I just read the Wikipedia summary?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i hate the sci fi series, i'm not a good judge there.

i know the dune series tries to be faithful to adapting the book. i'm not sure about children

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MarksMan posted:

I finished "Dune Messiah" yesterday and I liked it in a way, but I feel like the last 25-30% of the book wasn't holding my interest as much, other than just being invested enough to want to see how it specifically played out. From what I read, the general consensus is if you like "Dune" then you should read "Dune Messiah," then continue on if you liked *that*. After the end of Dune Messiah, I feel like it's going to just keep going on and on like that forever. Is it worth continuing on if I'm kind of iffy on Dune Messiah? Is Children of Dune worth the read?

I just consider Messiah a proper coda to the first book, and to the tale of Paul, Jessica, Chani, and Alia. But mainly Paul.

Somebody summed it up here best

Read 1 and 2 if you want the story of Paul

Read 3 and 4 if you want the story of Leto II

Read 5 and 6 if you want the story of Frank Herbert

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm as huge a fan of the original series as most of the rest of everyone posting in this thread seems to be, but I have one question.
Why is Leto II called that, when Pauls first son - the one killed in a Sardukar raid, was named Leto, would presumably also be Leto II as Pauls father was Leto?
This has legitimately kept me up some nights (because I had nothing else to worry about back then, and insomnia is a bitch - now I have plenty other things to worry about).

basic hitler posted:

i hate the sci fi series, i'm not a good judge there.

i know the dune series tries to be faithful to adapting the book. i'm not sure about children
The CGI has aged so poorly, I'd much rather watch something like the fanedits of the Lynch movie.
Brian Eno did some great loving music for the series, though.

Speaking of fanedits, I rather like the alternative edition redux, but I might be the only one who likes it better than Lynchs movie.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 29, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also, Heretics of Dune has by far the device in science fiction that I would fear the most: The T-Probe.
Imagine a device that completely shuts down your entire sensory organ leaving you floating in some void-space, as it individually traces every nerve and muscle in your entire body to create a digital framework from which it can manipulate your body with any sensation from pure pleasure to pure pain in order to get any thing out of you. All without leaving any marks on you, and the only way to even have a chance of not being its utter pawn is to make sure you're loaded to the gills with a drug or to be the product of a millennia-long breeding program.
Oh, and even if you are loaded up with shere, that doesn't prevent the device from working - if you've got shere in you, it just has to do a lot more guessing, which likely involves even more pleasure and pain.

That poo poo is loving terrifying. :stare:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm as huge a fan of the original series as most of the rest of everyone posting in this thread seems to be, but I have one question.
Why is Leto II called that, when Pauls first son - the one killed in a Sardukar raid, was named Leto, would presumably also be Leto II as Pauls father was Leto?
This has legitimately kept me up some nights (because I had nothing else to worry about back then, and insomnia is a bitch - now I have plenty other things to worry about).

Paul's first son never lived to inherit a title, so he doesn't get a regnal number.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regnal_number

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

Paul's first son never lived to inherit a title, so he doesn't get a regnal number.

Oh poo poo, I didn't know they were called this or that they had rules - but his explains everything very neatly, so thanks!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

heretics and chapterhouse have some of the coolest worldbuilding it's just a shame everything is about imprinting on teenagers and magic mind control pussies

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

basic hitler posted:

heretics and chapterhouse have some of the coolest worldbuilding it's just a shame everything is about imprinting on teenagers and magic mind control pussies
I get why they're problematic and I agree, but I've somehow managed to never read those parts or at least gloss over them such that I never remember them, and thereby end up recommending them.

Chapterhouse of Dune is the best loving cliffhanger of all time, and we'll be dangling forever because no sequels or prequels were ever written.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So, I just started listening to the audiobook again for what's probably the 50th time by now? Except this time I've managed to get my hands on the full-cast audiobook, and it's something else entirely (I'm used to the various versions Scott Brick has read over the years).

Anyway, I noticed two things that I'm not sure I'd picked up on before: Paul is trained by Jessica in the Bene Gesserit ways from a very early age; this is implied by how detailed prana-bindu is (I believe somewhere it's hinted further that it's muscle and nerve training, with learning to move each muscle individually and with breath-training to activate certain (Pavlovian?) responses), along with the fact the's trained "in the minutiae of observation", as well as Mohiam remarking that she sees the signs all over him when admonishing Jessica to give him the full training.
Another thing I picked up on is the fact that Paul has been having what he calls "dreams that were predictions" for a long time, going so far as to say "I dreamed of her once", implying that it happened a long time ago.
So, even with very limited spice doses on Caladan, he was having prescient dreams long before he moved to Dune - just not waking ones (which is what, if I recall correctly, he starts having later).

Does this mean that the BG training and mentat training he's received as a child is what lets him predict things in dreams, since presumably the spice dose he gets on Caladan is no bigger than that anyone else (including his mother, only one or two stages removed from the Kwizats Haderach) of his caste gets?

Also, the faufreluches class system sounds rigid as gently caress, describing servants like serving wench, and a motto quoted in the Terminology Of The Imperium as: "A place for every man and every man in his place."

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 30, 2018

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I think it’s more his genetics that are the key element. The mental and BG training help him control and understand the visions and the spice enhances it (moreso with the Water of Life <-> Water of Death consumption), but it’s his status as the male product of millennia of planned genetics that’s the key to his prescience.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, that's true - him being one step away from the Kwizats Haderach that BG bred for doesn't preclude him having most of the abilities, if not the ruthlessness that Leto II displays in going through with the Golden Path where Paul could not, because Paul was a true Atreides whereas the real Kwizats Haderach would've been the result of Atreides and Harkonnen traits.

Also, Paul had a short life, didn't he? He's made Emperor at like 18, and dies around 44, if I recall correctly the timelines I've seen.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kwisatz.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Quizats

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
He is the Quiznos Hierarchy.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Occasionally, working in a bookstore pays off.

I don't think I've seen a copy of this come through the store before. And only :10bux:!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Wolfechu posted:

I don't think I've seen a copy of this come through the store before. And only :10bux:!

Lovely!

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Cover art on point too

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Nessus posted:

Miles Teg is like a Super Saiyan or something so I assume they were doing some general improvement.

Also going along with natural development. Makes one wonder how fast we could speed up evolution and what's entailed in trying. Teg is a badass but he's also a freak. They didn't expect him or else they would have prevented his capture (which might have also prevented his abilities being discovered).

As for Paul, he's obsolete before his own death. Leto's grim - wicked - humor is often more moving than Paul's indecision.

D. Ebdrup posted:

The T-Probe

Yes, even though the intrigues of the books are often so steeped in coercion, torture and espionage, this was probably the most striking physical device the future folk invented. The idea of a computer that maps your brain down to nervous responses is terrifying and although the concept is older than Dune, Herbert explained in a brief passage how bad the thing was.

I imagine modern spies and counterintelligence are doing their best along such lines, since a machine like that could not just make you dance and sing on command, but also penetrate your inner mind and learn your thoughts as they occur.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wolfechu posted:

Super jealous. I look for poo poo like this whenever I go to estate auctions.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I thought sheer was so your mind couldnt be copied post-mortem or by facedancers?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

phasmid posted:

I imagine modern spies and counterintelligence are doing their best along such lines, since a machine like that could not just make you dance and sing on command, but also penetrate your inner mind and learn your thoughts as they occur.

As the saying goes, if the brain was simple enough for us to understand it, we’d be so dumb we couldn’t.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

basic hitler posted:

I thought sheer was so your mind couldnt be copied post-mortem or by facedancers?

Sheer workd against both face dancers and T-probes iirc.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Hannibal Rex posted:

Wikipedia posted:

A notable exception to this rule is the German House of Reuss. This family has the particularity that every male member during the last centuries was named Heinrich, and all of them, not only the head of the family, were numbered. While the members of the elder branch were numbered in order of birth until the extinction of the branch in 1927, the members of the younger line were (and still are) numbered in sequences that began and ended roughly as centuries began and ended. This explains why the current (since 2012) head of the Reuss family is called Heinrich XIV, his late father Heinrich IV and his sons Heinrich XXIX and Heinrich V.
Trust the Germans to gently caress up simple rules. signed, A German

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

phasmid posted:

Yes, even though the intrigues of the books are often so steeped in coercion, torture and espionage, this was probably the most striking physical device the future folk invented. The idea of a computer that maps your brain down to nervous responses is terrifying and although the concept is older than Dune, Herbert explained in a brief passage how bad the thing was.

Yeah, what I described is only what's horrendeous on the first few times you consider it; when you get to thinking about how it can read your thoughts and even get to predict them (I think this is hinted at in the book, but not explicitly, by the way the shere is described to block the actions of the T-probe), that's creeps me out no end, and while I'm not proud of it in any shape or form I've seen my share of creepy stuff on the internet.

basic hitler posted:

So far as I remember what it blocks is the T-probes complete mapping, Bene Gesserit mind-meld (accessed by the water of life, if I recall) and copying by facedancers - but it's mentioned somewhere in either Heretics or Chapterhouse that the T-probe can still make very astute guesses, even if it can't access your thoughts completely.
And it seems like the only way MIles Teg escapes it is through rogue Atreides genes which would likely have meant his death had BG known about it - so any other character in the theoretical history of the universe (except maybe sandtrout-/sandworm-Leto II?) would succumb to the T-probe.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

D. Ebdrup posted:

Yeah, that's true - him being one step away from the Kwizats Haderach that BG bred for doesn't preclude him having most of the abilities, if not the ruthlessness that Leto II displays in going through with the Golden Path where Paul could not, because Paul was a true Atreides whereas the real Kwizats Haderach would've been the result of Atreides and Harkonnen traits.

Jessica was Vlad Harkonnen’s daughter, hence the Baron possessing Alia. Paul was at least a quarter Harkonnen. Not familiar enough with family trees to say exactly how he differed from the planned offspring of Paul(a) and Feyd.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I apologize if this has been brought up before in the thread (I'm speed-reading through a bit at a time), but has anyone thought about how Leto IIs Royal Rascal is controlled by his thoughts and it's more or less said explicitly that others see this as some sort of blasphemy against the proscriptions that came out of the Butlerian Jihad?
The Royal Rascal is created by Ixians who it is claimed by the book are under increased surveilance by Leto II as a result of a project of theirs, but I wonder if this means that the Ixians are working on thinking machines, or something else? Is this the future averted by the Golden Path tha Siona sees? Presumably it's got little to do with Marty and Daniel (as a kid, I loved that one if the final "villains"/unknowns in the book share a first name with me)

Also, speaking of Ix, probably one of my most favorite exchanges in the entire book happens when Bronso of Ix makes fun of basically everyone for not knowing that the Ixians are called that because they settled on the 9th planet of their solar system.

Fuuuck, just thinking about the six books and the framing makes me appreciate it so much.
How they appear to be half-told by "present-day historians" from the same era as the books are putitively set in (for example, the aforementioned interview with Bronso of Ix), and how the other part is some apparent-farfuture historians looking back to puzzle together pieces (the references to the readings of the archives from Stolen Journals at Dar-Es-Balat) - all of this is just the most amazing world-building, which seems to hint but never quite explicitly states that it's Bene Gesserits looking back.

EDIT: Just finished reading the appendicies of the original book, and Appendix III in particular makes me wonder if that's a hint of someone knocking on the 4th wall.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 30, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've made it about half-way through the thread and I won't bother to try and bring up topics which I've seen already discussed to some sort of conclusion - but a quick search tells me that there's been no mention of Dune Genesis, the essay that Frank Herbert wrote on his reasons for writing the original trilogy in the first place?
So if you were to, you know, search for it you might find it and read it - it's only 3 1/2 pages long, and I'd really love to hear your thoughts on it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Mister Speaker posted:

Thanks! That means a lot. :) I really dig your sound too, love the creepy ambient vibe and especially all the mechanical sounds.

Lynch's Dune might be one of the most sampled films ever in electronic music. Especially the 'fear is the mind killer' bit.

I feel the same way about Villeneuve's work giving high hopes for the remake. You're bang on, all I could think while watching Blade Runner 2049 was how good the new Dune is going to look - for me it was a lot of the shots of the villain's headquarters, with really warm lighting illuminating wood grains and lots of reflections of ripples in water. And yeah, the score had me gurning - the weird formant throat singing drones, all the clever nods to Vangelis, and that end credit piece had growls in it that would put Noisia to shame. If you haven't seen Arrival, check that out too. Some very divine-looking shots in that one, and the score is also excellent in giving that vibe. Zimmer or Johannsson would both be excellent choices for the new film's score.

Even though it's not really part of the book, I hope Villeneuve decides to keep in the idea from the Lynch film of weaponized sound as a key component of the Weirding Way. Something about giant sandworms emerging from the dunes with enormous line arrays mounted to them emitting SPL that literally vaporizes armies of Saudarkar just really tickles my fancy. Or maybe I've just listened to this song too many times.
I actually had this 12" in 199'whatever :/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcgft-iiZ_s

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

D. Ebdrup posted:

I apologize if this has been brought up before in the thread (I'm speed-reading through a bit at a time), but has anyone thought about how Leto IIs Royal Rascal is controlled by his thoughts and it's more or less said explicitly that others see this as some sort of blasphemy against the proscriptions that came out of the Butlerian Jihad?
The Royal Rascal is created by Ixians who it is claimed by the book are under increased surveilance by Leto II as a result of a project of theirs, but I wonder if this means that the Ixians are working on thinking machines, or something else? Is this the future averted by the Golden Path tha Siona sees? Presumably it's got little to do with Marty and Daniel (as a kid, I loved that one if the final "villains"/unknowns in the book share a first name with me)

Also, speaking of Ix, probably one of my most favorite exchanges in the entire book happens when Bronso of Ix makes fun of basically everyone for not knowing that the Ixians are called that because they settled on the 9th planet of their solar system.
I figure that the Butlerian prohibitions are more cultural flinch-gross-out than having a literal list of "you can have microprocessors but they can't go over 3.9 gHz per core and only five cores max or else it becomes a Thinking Machine." The royal rascal probably just picks up on Leto's brainwave or has a joystick lodged in one of his ring segments (so to speak) but it comes off as a horrifying automatic instead of a good honest suspensor globe or windtrap, which are all fine.

The big thing Leto was trying to horsewhip the Ixians into making was the no-ship, I believe; Leto knew it was necessary, and that it was possible, but presumably he neither knew nor cared about all the fine details, so he just created the pressures on the Ixians that would lead them to eventually create what he needed. If he had foreseen Lord Cyber-T-Rex coming in about 200 years he probably would have just told the Ixians, "You need to make this now. I'll pay for it."

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

He should have jumped

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
THE ROYAL CART

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nessus posted:

I figure that the Butlerian prohibitions are more cultural flinch-gross-out than having a literal list of "you can have microprocessors but they can't go over 3.9 gHz per core and only five cores max or else it becomes a Thinking Machine." The royal rascal probably just picks up on Leto's brainwave or has a joystick lodged in one of his ring segments (so to speak) but it comes off as a horrifying automatic instead of a good honest suspensor globe or windtrap, which are all fine.

The big thing Leto was trying to horsewhip the Ixians into making was the no-ship, I believe; Leto knew it was necessary, and that it was possible, but presumably he neither knew nor cared about all the fine details, so he just created the pressures on the Ixians that would lead them to eventually create what he needed. If he had foreseen Lord Cyber-T-Rex coming in about 200 years he probably would have just told the Ixians, "You need to make this now. I'll pay for it."
Yeah, this actually makes a lot of sense. I don't what this LORD CYBERTREX 8000 you talk about is, there are no books beyond the 6 that Frank Herbert wrote.

EDIT: Wait, me replying to this post means I've read all of the thread, doesn't it? That was great ride, almost as great as one you could have on a Royal Rascal going down the cliffs from the palace to the Festival City. Definitely worth its gold rating.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 31, 2018