Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/RichardTrumka/status/1078431536658165760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Well but New York already struggles to attract businesses, so imo it's understandable Cuomo doesn't want to impose greater burdens on employers.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

eke out posted:

tired: three months bereavement leave
wired: people recover from grief better when they stay active and part of a community, so they should be forced to work

You can absolutely get lost in grief and having a lot of time to yourself can absolutely hurt you in terms of recovery.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Mmm, I'm not going to get this close to using racism/nationalism to rile up working people. I get what he's going for and don't think it's necessarily bad, but like part of the problem right now is that we can so easily blow the working class around by yelling about race.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

You can absolutely get lost in grief and having a lot of time to yourself can absolutely hurt you in terms of recovery.
Sure but there's no reason it needs to be an imposed 12 weeks of mandatory leave.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mineaiki posted:

Well but New York already struggles to attract businesses, so imo it's understandable Cuomo doesn't want to impose greater burdens on employers.

Yes, this is why all the big companies are moving out of NY to surrounding states. Companies such as - and -. Even my cheap-rear end company is headquartered in New York, even though NJ would be cheaper and more convenient for most of the employees.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

The idea that deciding if you're that type of person or not has anything to do with whoever you happen to be working for at that moment, rather than you, your family, or your therapist is loving insane.

JasonV fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 30, 2018

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Sure but there's no reason it needs to be an imposed 12 weeks of mandatory leave.

I mean 8 weeks PTO would be nice in general in the US.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mooseontheloose posted:

With laws requiring that companies actually let you take it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

The real problem for McConnell is that if he pisses off Trump then Trump might stop listening to him about which judges to nominate.

Did he even start? Mitch knew Kavanaugh was a dirty as poo poo rapist before anyone else did and did NOT want him nominated and confirmed him with a poo poo-eating grin because Trump owns him and always will own him. McConnell had a slate of clean Heritage Foundation approved nominees ready who would sail through confirmation without issue and kill Roe v. Wade on command, but Trump wanted the rapist because the rapist was on record as saying the President was above the law and would vote to save Trump’s rear end from jail in the end. So Mitch smiled and bowed and rammed through the rapist, because that’s what Trump wanted and he’ll never step out of line against Trump.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Did he even start? Mitch knew Kavanaugh was a dirty as poo poo rapist before anyone else did and did NOT want him nominated and confirmed him with a poo poo-eating grin because Trump owns him and always will own him. McConnell had a slate of clean Heritage Foundation approved nominees ready who would sail through confirmation without issue and kill Roe v. Wade on command, but Trump wanted the rapist because the rapist was on record as saying the President was above the law and would vote to save Trump’s rear end from jail in the end. So Mitch smiled and bowed and rammed through the rapist, because that’s what Trump wanted and he’ll never step out of line against Trump.

The whole goddamned GOP is wrapped up in this Russia poo poo. They have to stick together now.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Killer robot posted:

It went a step past that. The conversation specifically lit up when someone said even a public defender is morally obligated to sandbag them and do only the bare legal minimum, rather than a legitimate defense any other accused should get.

Ah then yeah that's hella stupid.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Mooseontheloose posted:

Washington State passed the Family Leave Act, which allows 12 weeks of guaranteed paid leave for anyone working at least 16 hours a week. My company sent us all an email telling us that a deduction of .025% is going to come out of our paychecks for this. For someone making $55k, that comes out to $13.75 a year, or about $0.57 per paycheck if you get paid bi-weekly. If this benefit cost this little, I'm amazed we didn't do it sooner. Or nationwide, even.

Not the same as a vacation, but nice to know pregnant women don't have to return to work immediately after giving birth in this state.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 30, 2018

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

KillHour posted:

Yes, this is why all the big companies are moving out of NY to surrounding states. Companies such as - and -. Even my cheap-rear end company is headquartered in New York, even though NJ would be cheaper and more convenient for most of the employees.

I hope it was obvious I was being sarcastic, but it's crazy how popular the sentiment that companies and work in general are fleeing cities. And it's entirely perpetuated by two relatively small players: the red states and towns that hand out zero taxation and union-busting packages, and the companies that buy into it.

My dad visited me in the city today. He's not quite as much of a lefty as me, but is by no means a Republican. He was blown away by how much construction and other blue-collar jobs he saw everywhere, and even more so when I showed him how the companies were based in the city, and not in the burbs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My company is in the 'burbs (I told you, we're cheap), but big companies definitely want to be in cities. That's what MAKES them cities.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Lacrosse posted:

Washington State passed the Family Leave Act, which allows 12 weeks of guaranteed paid leave for anyone working at least 16 hours a week. My company sent us all an email telling us that a deduction of .025% is going to come out of our paychecks for this. For someone making $55k, that comes out to $13.75 a year, or about $0.57 per paycheck if you get paid bi-weekly. If this benefit cost this little, I'm amazed we didn't do it sooner. Or nationwide, even.

Not the same as a vacation, but nice to know pregnant women don't have to return to work immediately after giving birth in this state.

Capitalism is cancer friend-o.

To quote Blue Highway "I'll never trust a rich man/As long as I draw breath/To keep his marble mansion/He'll starve a child to death."

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Another thing about bereavement is that unless the family member has some sort of terminal disease, death can happen suddenly and without warning. Compare that to PTO, maternity, or other extended leaves where there is plenty of advance notice to plan around the employee's absence.

That's a huge risk for businesses to suddenly lose one (or more) employees for 12 weeks with no warning. It's long enough to create a significant burden but short enough that you couldn't really hire someone as a replacement. That might not be too big of a hurdle for larger companies who could just hire more staff to compensate, but smaller businesses could really be hurt by an unplanned leave of that length.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Lacrosse posted:

It's cool that it costs that little, but I can't help but be suspicious because generally companies only seem to do this kind of thing to punish workers / shame them for new obligations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Seph posted:

Another thing about bereavement is that unless the family member has some sort of terminal disease, death can happen suddenly and without warning. Compare that to PTO, maternity, or other extended leaves where there is plenty of advance notice to plan around the employee's absence.

That's a huge risk for businesses to suddenly lose one (or more) employees for 12 weeks with no warning. It's long enough to create a significant burden but short enough that you couldn't really hire someone as a replacement. That might not be too big of a hurdle for larger companies who could just hire more staff to compensate, but smaller businesses could really be hurt by an unplanned leave of that length.

Thats actually a really good point, I work in a small machine shop right now and losing an employee for 12 weeks would basically mean depending on the person we would be hosed utterly. I have also worked in bigger machine shops where just losing certain employees for 2 to 3 weeks could mean that a whole machine department could shut down if something went wrong.

Now some of that is due to lack of training and all I fully admit. But the effects of losing an employee for several months can have pretty big ramifications particularly if they are someone that is key like the head of quality and calibration.

I do agree that getting back into some form of routine is beneficial work or not. Letting the grief pretty much stay in the forfront of your head can really gently caress with you and delay any healing.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

He's doubling down

https://twitter.com/KurtSchlichter/status/1079201266062942208

and virtue signaling (using the actual definition)

https://twitter.com/KurtSchlichter/status/1079206404857126912

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Please tell me the "helping Muslims" thing wasn't military service...

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JamesTorrezNews/status/1079058476343717888

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mineaiki posted:

Please tell me the "helping Muslims" thing wasn't military service...

“I spent a year helping Muslims answer the questions asked by the interrogator. And I reunited plenty of parents and children with my rifle.”

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I feel like having Trump 2020 flags next to Rat Trump is counter productive.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait so Bre Peyton actually died from the lobster sandwich?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Wait so Bre Peyton actually died from the lobster sandwich?

She died of the flu she refused to get vaccinated against.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

For spending as much on publicity as literally anyone on the planet, he sure does manage to generate some spectacularly bad press

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I have no particular love for the idealized “worker” as he appears in the bourgeois Communist’s mind, but when I see an actual flesh-and-blood Trumprat in naval conflict with his natural enemy, the MAGAboat, I do not have to ask myself which side I am on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

you would think they would be hire western or eastern European mercenaries. hiring child soliders seems counter productive. but then again to MBS, canon fodder is canon fodder.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I wonder if McConnell is smart enough to go "They might whine about this for a month, maybe two, but after that he'll do something even dumber and their attention will refocus elsewhere. Plus, I'm not falling on my sword for Donald Trump."

I would have appreciated 12 weeks, but honestly, 2-3 weeks after my mother died, I was so restless that I was almost glad I had to go back to work. Needed something to distract me.

That said, other people's experience may be different, so :shrug:

12 weeks is probably most useful in cases where you have to get a deceased parent's belongings dealt with and their house put up for sale or whatever.

Oxyclean posted:

I kinda had this thought after seeing the length, but considering it more, it's probably about giving people time to actually sort out the estate/deal with funeral and burial planning, and basically all the various legal and logistics of dealing with a death, on top of the emotional issues.

From a company centric perspective: 3 Months of paid leave does sound like a lot, but also consider it could just as well be 3 months of paid sloppy work that will cost more to fix.

I imagine it's one thing if it's a more distant relative, but if it's intimidate family, 1-2 weeks is really not going to be enough for most. Routine might help some, but not all. Plus I imagine it's not like it's 12 weeks of mandatory paid leave. Something that's flexible may be a tremendous help because you might be good to work a few days, but then have bad days crop up a bit later.

Yeah it's basically this. Company is still liable and responsible for any fuckups or lapses of judgement/focus/attention that are entirely common and reasonable in someone who just lost a parent a few weeks previously and just saw something that reminded them of dear old dad. I wouldn't be surprised if it is both a hiring and a retention benefit, too. Someone is more likely to take a job with a company that gives plenty of bereavement time vs the '12 days bereavement then get back to work.' Similarly, if you have a month of stuff to do because your parents didn't take care of their affairs and your company says 'get hosed' after 2 weeks, most people are just going to quit and find a new job later. By the time a replacement has been found and trained up, they're probably ~ 3 months behind.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Thats actually a really good point, I work in a small machine shop right now and losing an employee for 12 weeks would basically mean depending on the person we would be hosed utterly. I have also worked in bigger machine shops where just losing certain employees for 2 to 3 weeks could mean that a whole machine department could shut down if something went wrong.

Now some of that is due to lack of training and all I fully admit. But the effects of losing an employee for several months can have pretty big ramifications particularly if they are someone that is key like the head of quality and calibration.

I do agree that getting back into some form of routine is beneficial work or not. Letting the grief pretty much stay in the forfront of your head can really gently caress with you and delay any healing.

One of the ironies of this is that in the mythical 'old days' when companies still gave people paid time off, pensions, leave, etc. and kind of gave a bit of a poo poo about their employees, even if only because they realized that they were critical to actually making money, the understanding would be that they have the time off, but they can also get an urgent call from a boss saying, 'hey the system we had you in charge of got all hosed up, can we get you in for a day or two?' and that wouldn't be the end of the world.

This is one of those many cases where raw capitalism purely for capitalism's own sake has missed out that maintaining some human element is vastly cheaper than penny pinching every little cost away. The over dependence on a single person in a vital role is also a side-effect of the one simple trick to overwork your employees by not hiring other full-time workers, even when having redundant knowledge in your workforce would save you from multi-month shutdowns in the event of inevitable personnel crises.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 30, 2018

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
but what if stock numbers no go up this quater, month, week nano second due to not cutting all fat/expenses?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
RATBOAT

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Here's how I expect the shutdown to play out.

Jan 3: New Congress. House passes a clean CR (probably for the rest of the FY). Mitch doesn't even bring it to the floor because he knows Trump won't sign it, plus Mitch is a rat gently caress who only cares about the politics of any situation. Shutdown continues. Fun fact, this will cause my agency to cancel its involvement in a major scientific conference for the following week (need to cancel registrations, hotels, etc.).

Jan 15: About two more weeks have passed and no one is budging. Pressure very much mounting on Senate and Trump. Feds on way two missing two paychecks, causing real world consequences. More agencies run out of nifty budget tricks to try and keep some lights on.

Jan 20: Senate blinks and passes CR. Trump refuses to sign. He out right vetos it.

Jan 23: House and Senate override Trump's veto. Longest shutdown in American history finally ends.

Also lol at anyone that thinks any president can just move money around. That's not how it works.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Herstory Begins Now posted:

12 weeks is probably most useful in cases where you have to get a deceased parent's belongings dealt with and their house put up for sale or whatever.

Yeah it's basically this. Company is still liable and responsible for any fuckups or lapses of judgement/focus/attention that are entirely common and reasonable in someone who just lost a parent a few weeks previously and just saw something that reminded them of dear old dad. I wouldn't be surprised if it is both a hiring and a retention benefit, too. Someone is more likely to take a job with a company that gives plenty of bereavement time vs the '12 days bereavement then get back to work.' Similarly, if you have a month of stuff to do because your parents didn't take care of their affairs and your company says 'get hosed' after 2 weeks, most people are just going to quit and find a new job later. By the time a replacement has been found and trained up, they're probably ~ 3 months behind.

One of the ironies of this is that in the mythical 'old days' when companies still gave people paid time off, pensions, leave, etc. and kind of gave a bit of a poo poo about their employees, even if only because they realized that they were critical to actually making money, the understanding would be that they have the time off, but they can also get an urgent call from a boss saying, 'hey the system we had you in charge of got all hosed up, can we get you in for a day or two?' and that wouldn't be the end of the world.

This is one of those many cases where raw capitalism purely for capitalism's own sake has missed out that maintaining some human element is vastly cheaper than penny pinching every little cost away. The over dependence on a single person in a vital role is also a side-effect of the one simple trick to overwork your employees by not hiring other full-time workers, even when having redundant knowledge in your workforce would save you from multi-month shutdowns in the event of inevitable personnel crises.

I mean, poo poo, someone's wife dies, how much useful work do you expect to be getting out of them for the next three months anyway

Sure it's an unpredictable loss but the burden falls more on the worker than the company here

Real answer is government tax subsidized pto

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Trump is a billionaire worth many billions of dollars. He should self fund the wall.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SirPablo posted:

Also lol at anyone that thinks any president can just move money around. That's not how it works.

When has that stopped this rear end in a top hat?

Granted, now he has a Democratic house to contend with, so maybe he won't try for once.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

LeeMajors posted:

I would give anything to be locked in a windowless room with Schlichter.
You won't let the rest of us watch? <:mad:>

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Somebody needs to graph the number of times "border security" gets said per day on Fox News and note when Republicans started using that phrase as a euphemism for building a wall. All day, they just repeat the words "border security". They say them so often that they have become meaningless.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Sanguinia posted:

When has that stopped this rear end in a top hat?

Granted, now he has a Democratic house to contend with, so maybe he won't try for once.

Please, explain the mechanism that allows the executive branch to reprogram money allocated by the legislative branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I’m going through a bereavement situation right now where I’m executor of an estate and 12 weeks is too long. It’s entirely possible Cuomo would have signed a shorter option. Even dealing with stuff like probate doesn’t take place of your full time job. You’ve got a couple of court dates and then a whole lot of nothing in between.

Workers do need more time, but probably not 12 weeks. My job gives me 3 days, but I work 12 hour days and they only credit me for 8 of those hours (because HR considers 8 hours the standard work day). So 3 days of bereavement costs me 12 hours of pay. Yes, I do work for the devil.

Also Trump has already tried to divert funds for the military to the wall and he was told to pound sand. He can’t move money around. If a President could ‘find’ funds for something Congress wouldn’t authorize, Obama would have closed Gitmo.