Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I always follow the Alton Brown approach to wings. Steam them, cool them, finish in a hot oven to crisp the skin.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buffalo-wings-recipe-1937515

That's such a clever idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Scientastic posted:

I would say that the biggest thing with getting your kids to “help” is having enough self control to let them do things that you wouldn’t, without jumping in to take over. My children love to cook with me, but at six and four, sometimes do things wrong, and letting them make those mistakes is important.

This might be the best advice I've ever seen.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Looking to purchase a new fryer. Nothing special just something that will fry for occasional appetizer nights. Previously I used a fry daddy and while it was super basic, by and large I had no issue with it (clean up us is clean up). Anyway got a bunch of Amazon/target gift cards and I keep seeing things about Air Fryers. I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on air fryers? I'm not really interested in one being healthier then the other (since it's for infrequent use), but I am interested in it, if it has significantly easier clean up and the overall taste and crispyness is similar.

Of course there is just something fun about frying with oil and putting the basket in, that I know wont be there with air frying.

I would say...

A fryer is different than the air fryer.
So if you want to hand make fries, chicken tenders, corn dogs, etc from scratch, you need to stick with a traditional fryer.

The air fryer is neat, and does cool new things, and really excels as a sort of hybrid between a microwave and an oven.

So frozen foods are the air fryers wheelhouse. Frozen chicken nuggets, frozen curly fries, frozen eggrolls. They all come out crispy, unlike a microwave, and faster/more energy efficient than an oven.

So take that for what its worth.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bananana posted:

I would say...

A fryer is different than the air fryer.
So if you want to hand make fries, chicken tenders, corn dogs, etc from scratch, you need to stick with a traditional fryer.

The air fryer is neat, and does cool new things, and really excels as a sort of hybrid between a microwave and an oven.

So frozen foods are the air fryers wheelhouse. Frozen chicken nuggets, frozen curly fries, frozen eggrolls. They all come out crispy, unlike a microwave, and faster/more energy efficient than an oven.

So take that for what its worth.

Thanks I appreciate it. I wound up picking up a cheaper Oster Deep Fryer at Target (with price match and 7 bucks on a gift card), it game to about $12, since it was just to good fried food for the new years and two or three other times during the year. I figured that way, even if I wanted to get an Air Fryer eventually, it's not like I sunk a ton of money. That is interesting about the Air Fryer working best with frozen foods, since that's why I intend to fry the most often anyway.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Cross posting myself from Inspect Your Gadgets.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Does anyone know any good cookbook apps that let you create your own recipes, and ideally will let me upload recipes from digital books I've bought? I've been using My Cookbook, but it just refuses to import the digital cookbooks I have. It just sticks on 'importing' for hours. I'm only just getting into cooking, so it would help to have everything in one place instead of having to remember which recipe was in which book.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 30, 2018

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I need a recommendation for a deep pot (Dutch oven or similar) so that I can throw away the Teflon coated one that came with my pot set. Primarily I need something that won't be damaged by an immersion blender. My brief amazon search showed a lot of enamel coated cast iron. I'm not sold on cast iron due to its weight; are there other options I can consider?

For more info, I have an electric glass cooktop and plan to make a lot of soups and chilis in it. Dishwasher safe is a plus because I am lazy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just get a stainless steel one.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Soysaucebeast posted:

Cross posting myself from Inspect Your Gadgets.

Paprika let's you make your own recipes, and it allows you to import recipes from websites. I've never used a digital cookbook, so I don't know if it would import from them.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

What's the best way to cook a T-bone steak? I got a couple for Christmas and I'm afraid of ruining them, since I don't cook steak very often.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

drat Bananas posted:

I need a recommendation for a deep pot (Dutch oven or similar) so that I can throw away the Teflon coated one that came with my pot set. Primarily I need something that won't be damaged by an immersion blender. My brief amazon search showed a lot of enamel coated cast iron. I'm not sold on cast iron due to its weight; are there other options I can consider?

For more info, I have an electric glass cooktop and plan to make a lot of soups and chilis in it. Dishwasher safe is a plus because I am lazy.

I use one of these on an electric glass stovetop with an immersion blender and have zero issues. I've never put it in the dishwasher but I'm sure it'd be fine.

You get used to the weight. Well-made, sturdy things weigh more.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is it safe to eat the husks on tamales?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I second "just get a stainless pot"

poop dood posted:

I use one of these on an electric glass stovetop with an immersion blender and have zero issues. I've never put it in the dishwasher but I'm sure it'd be fine.

You get used to the weight. Well-made, sturdy things weigh more.

Cast iron weighs more. I wouldn't say that it's inherently more sturdy or well made than a stainless pot. Enameled cast iron is actually easier to damage than stainless, so

Jewel Repetition posted:

I mean, good luck.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Or you could try retrograding the starch, if you have a sous vide machine.

My potatoes don't really come out too sticky or gummy though, it's more like they've got a bunch of little fine particles in them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh and I use a mix of canola and butter instead of just butter if that matters.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Laocius posted:

What's the best way to cook a T-bone steak? I got a couple for Christmas and I'm afraid of ruining them, since I don't cook steak very often.

How thick are they?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jewel Repetition posted:

My potatoes don't really come out too sticky or gummy though, it's more like they've got a bunch of little fine particles in them.

They probably need to be cooked longer - it’s okay if they fall apart some. Also, let them steam off for a while after you drain them. The drier the potatoes, the more fat they will soak up. You may also just not have a fine enough masher.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Lol

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a decent webpage, app or similar that can give me cooking times and temperatures for various foods, mostly oven based? I'm bad at memorizing those types of things and googling tends to give me eight different answers, assuming I can find the info buried halfway down the page, between three different ads and a story about the author's childhood.

This is what I keep a good generic cookbook around for. Bittman, America's Test Kitchen, Joy of Cooking (one of the recent ones when the family got control of it again), whoever else you trust to make a decent general cookbook.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Cross posting myself from Inspect Your Gadgets. RECIPE DATABASE QUESTION

Paprika is probably closest to what you want. I think you're going to find that there isn't much around to import from ebooks-- you'll have to copy that stuff out by hand, probably.

If you've got some spare time on your hands and like coding, a database shouldn't be too hard to get started. Getting recipes from websites isn't too hard (see here). Importing from ebooks will definitely be trickier so that's why you don't see apps that do it. There's no standard cookbook recipe API, just the ebook formats and every book will structure their recipes a little differently. Maybe somebody's made a Caliber plug-in? Might be worthwhile cross-posting in Cavern of Cobol if you haven't yet.

effika fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 30, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I had creamed coconut that I thought was unopened, but it turns out my mum used it about 3 weeks ago and left it in the cupboard, instead of putting it in the fridge (box label says store in fridge and use within 2 weeks once opened). so I went today and added it to 400ml of water to make coconut milk and threw it in a dish I was making. is it only going to negatively impact the flavour, or am I going to give myself botulism or megaparasites if I eat this?

it was white at the top of the pack (the part that was exposed to air, so I figured it was just oxidation) and kind of a cream / beige colour in the part that was still properly wrapped in plastic. is that normal? it kinda reminded me of coconut oil you can buy in jars, and they're good for months once opened.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 30, 2018

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Chemmy posted:

How thick are they?

Pretty thick. I'd say about two inches.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

What's a good use for the used bonito flakes after making dashi? I figured the cat would be all about scarfing them down, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Hopefully you have a meat thermometer. Easiest is probably to reverse sear. https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

uh, l o l, dare I ask why?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

What's a good use for the used bonito flakes after making dashi? I figured the cat would be all about scarfing them down, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

drat, I toasted bonito, etc. once for Ivan’s katsuobushi salt, left the kitchen for like ten seconds and when I came back my kittens had devoured most of it and the rest was floating gently through the air like a fishy confetti cannon had gone off

you could probably mix it into soil as a fertilizer or something though if you’re desperate to find a use

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

effika posted:

If you've got some spare time on your hands and like coding, a database shouldn't be too hard to get started. Getting recipes from websites isn't too hard (see here). Importing from ebooks will definitely be trickier so that's why you don't see apps that do it. There's no standard cookbook recipe API, just the ebook formats and every book will structure their recipes a little differently. Maybe somebody's made a Caliber plug-in? Might be worthwhile cross-posting in Cavern of Cobol if you haven't yet.
Thanks everyone for the assist. I definitely don't code, but I'm starting to lean towards the idea that maybe I can transcribe a few recipes a night. I've only got a handful of cookbooks from humble bundles, so at least it won't take me a billion years.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hauki posted:

uh, l o l, dare I ask why?

I just don't want them to go to waste and need more fiber in my diet.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

I just don't want them to go to waste and need more fiber in my diet.

there are more efficient ways to incorporate more fiber into your diet than attempting to eat dried corn husks

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I mean poo poo man, Metamucil can be dissolved into whatever you want and won't have hardened bits that can perforate your bowels.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Soysaucebeast posted:

Thanks everyone for the assist. I definitely don't code, but I'm starting to lean towards the idea that maybe I can transcribe a few recipes a night. I've only got a handful of cookbooks from humble bundles, so at least it won't take me a billion years.

I use Pepperplate.com

It uses the food API mentioned above, but if the website doesn't play nice you can copy/paste into a pop-up modal. Might work with an in-browser PDF or ebook reader too.

My favorite part is that it formats everything wonderfully - compact enough you can see the ingredients while reading the steps, narrow enough you can split screen with 2 recipes or with 1 recipe and a timer app.

Oh, and it's free and has a mobile app :yeah:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Qubee posted:

I had creamed coconut that I thought was unopened, but it turns out my mum used it about 3 weeks ago and left it in the cupboard, instead of putting it in the fridge (box label says store in fridge and use within 2 weeks once opened). so I went today and added it to 400ml of water to make coconut milk and threw it in a dish I was making. is it only going to negatively impact the flavour, or am I going to give myself botulism or megaparasites if I eat this?

it was white at the top of the pack (the part that was exposed to air, so I figured it was just oxidation) and kind of a cream / beige colour in the part that was still properly wrapped in plastic. is that normal? it kinda reminded me of coconut oil you can buy in jars, and they're good for months once opened.

Frankly my man it's a wonder that you haven't died of food poisoning already, what with your habit of leaving cooked rice in the pot at room temp overnight and all.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

poop dood posted:

Frankly my man it's a wonder that you haven't died of food poisoning already, what with your habit of leaving cooked rice in the pot at room temp overnight and all.

i'm a marvel of science! I've stopped the rice thing, I refrigerated my rice within two hours of cooking a big batch yesterday, that's progress.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tom Gorman posted:

You can use it to make furikake

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I routinely leave things like Pizza or chicken curry out on the counter for up to 24-36 hours. I've done that all my life.

Ironically the only time I've ever gotten sick from food was from a piping hot, brand new fresh bowl of fish soup I made, which used all fresh from the store ingredients. I assume the clam juice I bought had somehow gone off, because the only other stuff in there was some seafood stock, chunks of fresh cod, frozen veggies, and some tomatoes. :v:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think the “don’t leave stuff on the counter or you’ll get food poisoning” is wholly dependent on where you live. When I lived in Edinburgh, and was too poor to put the heating on, we would routinely leave stuff on the countertop for days on end.

In Florida, not so much.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I don't have a Dutch oven, is my huge stainless steel saute pan an ok substitute for making stuff like this? Like will the results be similar enough, because I can't afford to buy one and I want to eat stew.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

big dyke energy posted:

I don't have a Dutch oven, is my huge stainless steel saute pan an ok substitute for making stuff like this? Like will the results be similar enough, because I can't afford to buy one and I want to eat stew.

Sure, as long as it all fits and is oven safe (no plastic). I used a deep 12 inch cast iron skillet for oven braises for years (covered with foil).

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Nice, it's a gigantic Cuisinart aluminum saute pan with a lid. I have actually used it for pot roast before but I'm all concerned I was doing it wrong.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Can anyone recommend a good cookbook or three for tasty and healthy vegetarian / vegan dishes? Who is the Julia Child of vegans?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
If you just want good vegetarian/vegan recipes, go to Allrecipes and filter for vegetarian/vegan. There's tons of great recipes; even I, a definite carnivore, love me some portabella cap burgers.

If you want a bunch of holier-than-thou preachiness with your recipes, some of which taste really bad because they're attempting to make something that resembles a non-vegan dish without understanding what purpose the animal products in the original recipe are serving, buy the best selling Vegan cookbook on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
It all depends on what you're trying to do. Just add some non meat into your meal rotations? Go full-on meatless? Cut back just on red meat? Have some dietary restrictions to work around? Preferred cuisine?

My mom still cooks stuff out of her old Moosewood cookbook. A lot of the recipes can be found online for free these days (it's from the 70s after all) but check it out from your library to see if it fits in with your tastes.

I usually do the "filter by vegetarian" trick these days though. I am also not afraid to leave meat out entirely or sub in chickpeas/beans/mushrooms/tofu depending on the dish. Waldorf salad with chickpeas instead of chicken is now requested over the original in my house, for example.